• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo just released one of my favorite games in Mario Maker 2 and has a bunch of good stuff coming up soon, but... I still like to speculate about the future. First, let's go back to 2017 and look at the releases (non-ports) then.

Breath of the Wild: Zelda team+Monolith Soft
Arms: Mario Kart team
Splatoon 2: Splatoon/Animal Crossing team? (unclear how much these games have in common in terms of staff outside of the leads)
Samus Returns: Mercury Steam
Mario Odyssey: Mario team
Xenoblade 2: Smallish portion of Monolith Soft

Out of these 6 developers, we're pretty sure that the Zelda team of EPD+Monolith Soft are making BotW2 which could release late 2020 (according to Zell) or might be 2021 based on them giving no release date. Not sure if Splatoon 3 will be next year if a lot of the staff is focused on Animal Crossing but I'm not clear on that. The Mario Odyssey team may have had some programmers and artists working on Mario Maker 2 if they merged with the 2D Mario team, but they may have enough staff to do a sequel to Mario Odyssey in 2020. A Spanish poster that leaked Samus Returns right away says Mercury Steam is making a new Metroid game (or said that back in early 2018, things may have changed since) though there are conflicting rumors if this is a new game or a remake of Super or Fusion. We're not sure what the Mario Kart people are doing but maybe they could lend their staff to Pikmin 4 or something as EPD's structure is somewhat complicated. What the smaller group of Monolith Soft is doing is pretty unclear right now. People had assumed that they were making a new IP but it's possible that could have just been hiring for BotW2. Xenoblade 2 did well but BotW did super well so they may be focusing all their staff on that. Or they could just be making another Xenoblade game since 2 did well.

Possibilities from the 2017 list and my completely random guesses on their likelihood of being 2020 which you should definitely disagree with and explain why:

BotW2: 50/50, maybe.
Something from the Mario Kart people: IDK
Animal Crossing: 100%
2D Metroid Switch from Mercury Steam: Maybe like 60/40?
Mario Odyssey 2: 60/40?
Xenoblade 3 or a new IP from Monolith Soft: 60/40

Now let's go to 2018 and look at this for a bit:

Kirby Star Allies: HAL
Super Mario Party: ND Cube
Mario Tennis Aces: Camelot

Will ignore Pokemon as I'll get to that in a minute. The Smash people are still making DLC and won't have a new game ready for 2020 pretty obviously, so let's look at these three. Kirby is generally a yearly series and Kirby Star Allies released very early in 2018. If HAL takes around two years to make a sequel, then they could have one out by Spring 2020. On the other hand, Kirby Star Allies wasn't exactly finished by March 2018 and got a lot of DLC support that could have stopped them from starting on a sequel right away. HAL could also take longer with this Kirby to try to be more ambitious or to make sure the game releases full of content on day 1 this time. I feel like ND Cube will release Super Mario Party 2 next year as the first game did amazing sales-wise. They were hiring for a new IP so maybe they'll release that instead, but feel confident they'll release something. Camelot seems like a tiny developer so I'm pretty doubtful we'll get a game from them in 2020.

Another Kirby game: 80/20
Super Mario Party 2 or a new ND Cube IP: 90/10

There could be some WiiU ports (with 3D World being the most obvious and Pikmin 3 being the most rumored) but they release this kind of randomly and it's hard to predict.

Now let's go over some other possibilities:

Pokemon Sword/Shield Third version(s): Seems pretty likely as every game other than X and Y has gotten one and they actually have a selling point for this third version if they include all the Pokemon. 85/15.

Paper Mario 6: Color Splash was released in late 2016 and Intelligent Systems would have had several years if they wanted to make a sequel. On the other hand, IS may have focused their staff on Three Houses and Three Houses saw delays of nearly a full year so it's unclear if they had the staff to spare for this. Even if they did, IS may want to make something else as Paper Mario has had an up and down reception over the last 15 years. 20/80. But maybe they'll release something else in 2020.

Pikmin 4: I assume this game is in development but I don't know how many people are working on as the series has not done well in the first three games. So... Who knows if it will be 2020. 40/60

Retro's game(s) between Tropical Freeze and Prime 4: The ship has mostly sailed on this one as Retro has been aggressively hiring for Prime 4 for the last six months, but maybe there's some chance? Throwing away five years, losing your top staff, and getting Prime 4 seems odd on the surface... But also the most likely situation. 10/90.

Prime 4: They just started on this game. 2/98.

Bayonetta 3: The creative director leaving suggests things are not going well but they can probably still get it out there I think. 80/20.

Prime Trilogy: I'm sure this is done but I have no idea when it will release. IDK/100 - IDK.

So, my predictions for next year:

Q1: Animal Crossing New Horizons, 3D World port.
Q2: Pikmin 3 port.
Q3: New main Kirby game, Bayonetta 3, New major IP from EPD or Monolith Soft or IS, Super Metroid reimagining
Q4: Either Mario Odyssey 2 or BotW2 but not both, Pokemon GunSword and Pokemon GunShield, Super Mario Party 2.

Lot of this will likely be wrong but just wanted to think about this this morning for fun.

Last edited:

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I love that we know almost nothing about 2020 and that they still have lots to anounce for it. Nintendo is such a friggin powerhouse. Like so many possibilities...

That's all i wanted to say

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bayonetta 3 should be fine to release next year I think. Got confidence that Platinum know what they're doing and it won't be delayed once it's dated.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Their 2020 has a ton of potential with the 3D Mario team and Monolith Soft probably ready.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Wait do we actually think BOTW2 is 2020?

They've shown more of it than any other non-2019 title, save Q1's Animal Crossing (which is a delayed 2019 title).

At this point in 2018, we didn't have trailers for any 2020 titles, so I wouldn't expect that we have trailers for 2021 titles now.

Also, holiday 2020 is nearly four years after the release of BotW. That seems like enough time for a direct sequel.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
RF5 is 2020 correct? We're getting 4 special this year so I guess 5 coming out next year kinda makes sense.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Man, I hope we get a new Kirby game.

A good single player one to rival Robobot would be awesome.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
sure

botw 2
animal crossing
no more heroes 3
2D metroid (sakamoto and mercury steam)
metroid prime trilogy
warioware
mother 1+2+3
a new monolith soft game
bayonetta 3
smt 5 (i think this will be published by nintendo outside japan)
super mario party 2
mario golf
new kirby
paper mario
retro's new game
some wii u ports

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe worth keeping in mind next year is the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. They pushed Super Mario Maker heavily for the 30th, but SMM2 is already out. Maybe they'll tie it to Odyssey 2. 3D World port is also inevitable.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
BotW2 is pretty much guaranteed 2020 fiscal year in my mind, modern Nintendo rarely announces anything that far out with in-game footage (MP4 and Bayo 3 were just conceptual videos). Most all of the assets are done and it was originally planned as DLC, suggesting it started development in 2017. I'd honestly be more shocked if it did miss 2020.

My guess is next year's tentpole titles are Animal Crossing, BotW2, Pokémon Sword & Shield third game, Bayonetta 3, and Monolith Soft's new thing. Also ports of the last few important Wii U games early in the year.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I think we will get a good picture in January 2020 but going from the development schedules I expect a very good line up. I'm hoping for some surprising third party announcements as well.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
2020 is a Wild Card outside of BotW2, Animal Crossing, and perhaps Bayo 3, and I love it for that. I mean 2019 finally brought over the Handheld Flagship franchises, so we really have no idea where they can go from here. Maybe a mario sports game, maybe a full retail Picross, some more Wii U ports, but that's about it as far as safe predictions go.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Feels like something from the Mario Kart team could come in 2020, but feels more like 2021.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
I wonder what we'll get in 2020 along the lines of first party JRPG. I kind of feel like we will see Monolith's new IP before we see the next Xenoblade. I believe both are definitely in development. Oh, we might see a new Mario & Luigi game on Switch. That'd be nice. Paper Mario would be even better. But I guess with how they were spending money on remaking Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story, I can see a new game in that series coming to us first.
Maybe we will get a Splatoon spinoff. Or Rhythm Heaven. Splatoon Rhythm Heaven. Splatoon Style Savvy. Splatoon Mystery Dungeon.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Bayo 3 is very likely

Monolith's new IP started early 2017 and went on a hiring spree mid 17,, so I'd say that is very possible for a holiday 2020 release

I think Mario Golf or a Mario sports game is also possible from Camelot

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what we'll get in 2020 along the lines of first party JRPG. I kind of feel like we will see Monolith's new IP before we see the next Xenoblade. I believe both are definitely in development. Oh, we might see a new Mario & Luigi game on Switch. That'd be nice. Paper Mario would be even better. But I guess with how they were spending money on remaking Superstar Saga and Bowser's Inside Story, I can see a new game in that series coming to us first.
Maybe we will get a Splatoon spinoff. Or Rhythm Heaven. Splatoon Rhythm Heaven. Splatoon Style Savvy. Splatoon Mystery Dungeon.
The devs of Mario and Luigi have never made an HD game. It's not coming first. I don't get why people keep saying this. Paper Mario for Switch has probably been in development since 2016/early 2017.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW2
Animal Crossing
Bayonetta 3
2D Metroid
New Retro game
New Monolith game
Metroid Prime Trilogy
A few more Wii U ports
WarioWare
SMTV
Paper Mario

Maybe: Odyssey 2 or a new 2D Mario

I'm expecting NMH3 to slip into 2021 based on what we know.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Confirmed 'bigger' games for 2020

February:
Gods & Monsters

March:
Animal Crossing

No month:
Rune Factory 5
No More Heroes 3
Trials of Mana
Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga
Ninjala

Possibly:
BotW2
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD (all but confirmed to exist)
Bayonetta 3
Detective Pikachu 2
Shin Megami Tensei V

That's a good start.. I think 2020 will be the peak year for Switch in terms of software.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I wonder what we'll get in 2020 along the lines of first party JRPG. I kind of feel like we will see Monolith's new IP before we see the next Xenoblade. I believe both are definitely in development.

I really hope so but I'm trying to not keep my hopes up. The DLC for Xenoblade 2 wasn't that long ago. So if they've got something it would have to be from a different team.

sure

botw 2
animal crossing
no more heroes 3
2D metroid (sakamoto and mercury steam)
metroid prime trilogy
warioware
mother 1+2+3
a new monolith soft game
bayonetta 3
smt 5 (i think this will be published by nintendo outside japan)
super mario party 2
mario golf
new kirby
paper mario
retro's new game
some wii u ports

Would be cool if you could explain how you came to these decisions, haha.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
I want at least 2 more games in the first half of 2020 and for one of them to be Pikmin 4. Hopefully a game from Retro too.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
I really hope so but I'm trying to not keep my hopes up. The DLC for Xenoblade 2 wasn't that long ago. So if they've got something it would have to be from a different team.
Oh yeah, I'm definitely being foolishly optimistic. I base all my current Monolith speculation on what I read in the production thread here, and from Luxin's recent video, "Monolith Soft's Next Games." If you haven't seen it, the video talks about how Takahashi says his general process is to draft the story, characters, and lore then hand it off for further edits and actual development into a game. The writing part takes him about 8 months. The video says that Torna was already based on a concept he had for XC2, so that DLC didn't require as much of his time and input. It kind of assumes he has passed that stage in the next XC game's development. If this is true, i can see it. I don't think we'll see it next year though.
As for the new IP, yeah it's a different team.

Tiggleton

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
call me crazy but i think nintendo and atlus will be able to pull off a WW launch for SMTV

If Nintendo was willing they absolutely could. The question is whether Nintendo sees SMT as a priority franchise. Yeah we know Persona is popular but SMT is a different story.
I'd hope so. I still have nightmares over how terribly the release of SMT IV in Europe was handled.

Trevelyan

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love threads like this and daydreaming about the possibilities. Anyway, considering that DK has a big role in the Super Nintendo World opening at Universal next year, I really want EPD Tokyo to release a 3D Donkey Game. I can see this being announced in the September Direct and releasing next May.