• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
With all the discussion of the Banjo-Kazooie series since their return at E3 (a sentence I can't believe I'm typing in the year 2019, praise Sakurai), it reminded me that Grunty's Revenge for the Gameboy Advance existed. I don't know why I never had this one growing up, considering I really wanted it when I first got my GBA. I think I just never saw it in the store when I was looking for new games as a kid and Christmas/my birthday was reserved for asking for expensive console games. I wasn't expecting much, everyone pretty much said it was a decent conversion of the series and at the very least it was better than Nuts n Bolts (which isn't a high bar considering that game literally insults you in the first few minutes for wanting to play a regular Banjo-Kazooie game, but that's a subject for a different thread).

Yeah, it's good, especially considering how bad some of these types of games tend to go. The tone and charm of the series is still there which is already about half of my grading system for a game in this series, but the gameplay is also surprisingly solid. Yeah the top-down perspective means there's a lot of platforms that you won't always guess the height of correctly, but other than that it's the same basic gameplay as the console games, just simplified. All of the moves that I would expect these two to have are here (except for flying, but I can forgive that considering the limitations of the system), it's still a collectathon and even the music feels right (if I didn't know that Grant Kirkhope didn't make the music, I'd have thought it was him). Some "isms" of a lot of handheld spinoffs are here and accounted for, of course. Simple and forgettable mini-games account for a few of the jiggies and some generic/out of place NPCs pop up (I'm looking at you, chickens in the first world who look like they should be in the Spyro GBA games), but those are all pretty inoffensive. This is Banjo-Kazooie on a portable. I really like it.

With systems like the 3DS and the Switch putting out actual console quality 3D games on a portable, these kinds of spinoffs seem to be a relic of the past. That's not a bad thing, obviously, and the moment they release a handheld port of the first Banjo-Kazooie I am emptying my wallet immediately (for the love of god, Microsoft, put it on the Switch). Still I do miss watching that bit of developer creativity (or lack thereof, depending on the game) in trying to put these bigger games into a form that would fit a significantly weaker console. Growing up I didn't have a Playstation, for instance, but I did have Spyro: Season of Ice and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. I liked those games, even if I didn't have the games they spun off from to compare them to. Hell, Nintendo probably started this trend with stuff like Super Mario Land (a scaled down but portable 2D Mario, just a simpler and shorter experience than the originals). Even the Gameboy versions of multi-plat games are fun to look back at in this way. The handheld versions of the Harry Potter adventure games and Quidditch World Cup were big parts of my childhood, and I also had the Gamecube versions of these to compare them to. Looking back, I may have liked the GBA version of Quidditch more than the Gamecube one.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone else has any affection for this era of gaming. What handheld games like this did you guys grow up with? Any you still return to as if it's a normal entry in the series?

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Max Payne on the GBA has no right being as good as it is. I played it over a decade after it's release and it holds up. It's a really good game.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Chinatown Wars is one of the best GTA games in a lot of ways; especially impressive considering it was a DS game.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The GBA was notorious for having alternative series's for multiple properties. I still maintain that the GBA Crash/Spyro sagas are superior to the original PS1 trilogy.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
There was a chunk of time there in the early 2000s when Vicarious Visions, Digital Eclipse, and other small development studios were putting out better GBA versions of licensed games than the actual console versions.

The 2007 Movie Tie-In TMNT game was the best of the bunch. Apparently developed by staff that went on to make the Scott Pilgrim tie-in game a few years later.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Chinatown Wars was my answer as well, still play it from time to time to get my drug selling itch scratched.

There was a really good top down Medal of Honor game for the GBA that I adored as well.

Animated Star Wars games for GBA/DS were some personal faves too

OP
OP
Archduke Kong

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
The best versions of Harry Potter 1 and 2 are in GBC.

These were the turn-based RPG ones right? I remember renting Chamber of Secrets from Blockbuster and my mind was blown that they could turn Harry Potter into an RPG.

It has voice acting. ON THE GBA!

I love those rare moments where GBA devs did over the top stuff with the hardware just to say they could (Tron 2.0 was another GBA game with full voice acting. I have no idea why they did it, they didn't need to do it, but it got me to buy the video game sequel to a movie I've never seen in my life because they did it, so it must have worked).

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I still say Yu-Gi-Oh dark duel stories for gbc is the best Yu-Gi-Oh game. You could make your own cards!

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming we're talking about contemporary ones (so no OOT 3D etc)

Any good PC Engine conversions (because of the PC Engine GT)
Tetris (game boy)
Battle Arena Toshinden (game boy)
Mega Man V (game boy)
Metal Gear Ghost Babel (GBC)
The handheld Disgaea games always had more content then the base console ones

there was this bizarre conker's pocket tales game on the GB/GBC (two roms on one cart). Million miles away from the n64 game, as it was based on the original Conker's Quest concept before Bad Fur Day was conceived.

Last edited:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I remember playing that GBA Banjo-Kazooie game back around when it was originally released. I put that cartridge in my Game Boy Player for GameCube and silently cried while I was playing a new Banjo-Kazooie game on a Nintendo console. I didn't like it very much at the time unfortunately. But I returned to it a few years ago and ended up 100%ing it. It's not the best, obviously, but it was still a serviceable Banjo game for a handheld.

As for handheld versions of console games, I feel like Astro Boy: Omega Factor for GBA is the poster child for this scenario. The PS2 version was okay at best but the GBA version was a real blast!

220px-Astro_Boy_-_Omega_Factor_Coverart.png

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing that GBA Banjo-Kazooie game back around when it was originally released. I put that cartridge in my Game Boy Player for GameCube and silently cried while I was playing a new Banjo-Kazooie game on a Nintendo console. I didn't like it very much at the time unfortunately. But I returned to it a few years ago and ended up 100%ing it. It's not the best, obviously, but it was still a serviceable Banjo game for a handheld.

As for handheld versions of console games, I feel like Astro Boy: Omega Factor for GBA is the poster child for this scenario. The PS2 version was okay at best but the GBA version was a real blast!

220px-Astro_Boy_-_Omega_Factor_Coverart.png

From memory I think the GBA one came out before the PS2 one, and the PS2 one was more based on the new series. What a disappointment that was after Treasure's amazing game.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
The Game Boy Advance versions of the last two Lord of the Rings games (The Two Towers and Return of the King) are both Diablo-style ARPGs that are far better than they deserve to be, and are (IMO) better than the already somewhat decent console versions.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
These fuckin' games:

256px-Tony_Hawk_DS.jpg
!!e!UHwg!WM~$(KGrHqEOKn!Ezw9fVW!QBNP26tB+1Q~~_1.JPG
180320b.jpg

These are some of the best games in the Tony Hawk catalog. Hell, I'd go to bat that DS American Sk8land is one of the best Tony Hawk games period. It's wild to me how under-revered these three are. The GBA games were also good, but there was just something special about the DS games that evoked the same sort of feeling the original 3 THPS games did when I first played those.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell, Nintendo probably started this trend with stuff like Super Mario Land (a scaled down but portable 2D Mario, just a simpler and shorter experience than the originals).
Simplified versions of console/computer/arcade games were a thing on portables long before Game Boy. Some were clones (Block Buster on Microvision was based on Breakout) and some were officially licensed from existing franchises (Soukoban/Store Keepers on Epoch Game Pocket Computer). Even Nintendo tried the clone thing with Alleyway.

GG Shinobi 2 and the SNK fighting games on NGPC will probably always be my favorites.
These came to mind first for me, too. Link's Awakening, NGPC Metal Slugs, and GG Aleste 2 are also up there.

Oct 27, 2017
Great mentions in this thread, ghost recon and chinatown wars nailed it on Nintendo handhelds.

3D Land in some ways is superior to 3D World.

Lego City Undercover 3DS was alright too.

The very last Lego 3DS/Vita specific versions (Marvel's Avengers, Force Awakens) had enough of their own compelling content in them that differed from the larger consoles/PC versions.

Uncharted Golden Abyss still has the best aiming mechanics in the series.

LittleBigPlanet's campaign on the Vita was the most enjoyable.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
PSP and GBA were the absolute best for these imo, between the ports and remakes there were TONS of great portable versions of classic games

OP
OP
Archduke Kong

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
These fuckin' games:

256px-Tony_Hawk_DS.jpg
180320b.jpg

These are some of the best games in the Tony Hawk catalog. Hell, I'd go to bat that DS American Sk8land is one of the best Tony Hawk games period. It's wild to me how under-revered these three are. The GBA games were also good, but there was just something special about the DS games that evoked the same sort of feeling the original 3 THPS games did when I first played those.

American Sk8land is one of my most played DS games, and I'm not even super into Tony Hawk games. It's also one of my most nostalgic games. I got it for Christmas alongside Animal Crossing Wild World and my iPod Nano (god I feel old typing that). For a long time I'd rotate between both those two games (and Mario 64DS) while listening to whatever music I could get my hands on. Also Sk8land's soundtrack was so good. I went out of my way for a WHILE searching Google for the covers in that game so I could listen to them on my iPod (and eventually I tried to learn a few of them when I started playing guitar). I'm not into punk music nowadays but I still love that soundtrack.

I still have it laying around somewhere, I should replay it soon.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
nz1hhGt.jpg

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on GBA was an amazing showpiece for the time, and I had a lot of fun playing it. In a way, it messed up the GBA's library a bit, because the reaction caused a lot of other developers to chase polygonal 3D games on a platform not really designed for it (and even Tony Hawk 2 was mostly fudging it).

Oct 27, 2017
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams and its sequel on GBA did a wonderful job of distilling the appeal of the character and his skillset and leaning into the minimal puzzler aspects of the console games.

Oct 30, 2017
These fuckin' games:

256px-Tony_Hawk_DS.jpg
180320b.jpg

american sk8land is straight-up the best tony hawk game imo. incredible level design and really smart leverage of the hardware.

also the soundtrack. okay each tune was only like a minute long but still, that's all you need for saves the day covering sonic reducer.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Rayman on GBC was actually damn impressive. Too bad it had no save and just a password system (also I didn't really like the fact that it joint the Rayman 1 worlds with the Rayman 2 music) but it was quite a thing anyway. Definitely one the best platformers of the console, if not the best.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Land 2 felt like a pretty decent sized game when it released. I loved how it wasn't all Mushroom Kingdom and had a world of its own. Funny how Nintendo ignores the Land series more unique characters, just like Wart. Would be cool to have SML assets in MM2.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on GBA was an amazing showpiece for the time, and I had a lot of fun playing it. In a way, it messed up the GBA's library a bit, because the reaction caused a lot of other developers to chase polygonal 3D games on a platform not really designed for it (and even Tony Hawk 2 was mostly fudging it).

Tony Hawk 2 on GBA convinced me to get a GBA launch day. It's really hard to fathom now how big of a jump going from GB/GBC games to something like THPS2 on GBA really was.

Oct 30, 2017
Rayman on GBC was actually damn impressive. Too bad it had no save and just a password system (also I didn't really like the fact that it joint the Rayman 1 worlds with the Rayman 2 music) but it was quite a thing anyway. Definitely one the best platformers of the console, if not the best.

yeah this was awesome.

also shout out to tomb raider GBC:

kind of metroid-y, with amazing animation that captured the you-have-to-jump-in-advance feel of the PS1 game.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This bad boy right here:

220px-Burnout_Legends.jpg

Knowing that PSP is much weaker than PS2, I expected gimped down experiences, and I did have some games like that in system's first year. But Burnout Legends (and it's follow up Dominator) straight up blew me away. I always thought Burnout is the one series that pushed PS2 to its limits and now way in the hell that high speed gameplay would transfer well to PSP. Boy, how I was wrong. They left nothing behind, they even brought slow mo crash cam (which I thought seeing that in the palm of my hand was miraculous).

There are some other games that transferred the experience well from PS2 to PSP, like SW Battlefront games, NFS games, Juiced, SSX, NBA Street, Tekken, Soul Calibur etc but all were gimped down titles. Only Burnout was this close to its home console counterpart.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The GBA Crash games made by Vicarious Visions were honestly pretty damn good follow-ups from the PS1 trilogy ('cept for the Spyro crossover because that was bad).

I never could warm up to the GBA Spyros though, the isometric view made depth perception a pain in the ass.

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
The best versions of Harry Potter 1 and 2 are in GBC.

THIS. THIS so much. Then thousand times this.

The audacity of those devs to recreate the first two movies of Harry Potter into turn-based RPG...
It had:
-References (plenty) to the books.
-Collectible cards
-Spell leveling
-A full fledged bestiary with some actual missable beasts. All taken from the works of JK Rowling but never visually depicted before on other pieces of media.
-Actual TESTS and performance based on your adventures that could mark the difference between getting Griffindor to win the House Cup or not. Yes, it wasn't granted.

Everything, packed into such a small system.

What is baffling is that the GBA versions dropped this RPG approach for one more akin to those that we could encounter into the PSX/PS2 games: bland, uninventive gameplay which didn't did anything in favor to tell any other thing beside the story that was already told in the films.

Such a shame. And more even knowing that Harry Potter IP will be forever mismanaged until a "Persona-like" game happens.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Handhelds > consoles. I can't even pick one example! I'll go with Dark Void Zero which I replayed and loved recently.

OP
OP
Archduke Kong

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
THIS. THIS so much. Then thousand times this.

The audacity of those devs to recreate the first two movies of Harry Potter into turn-based RPG...
It had:
-References (plenty) to the books.
-Collectible cards
-Spell leveling
-A full fledged bestiary with some actual missable beasts. All taken from the works of JK Rowling but never visually depicted before on other pieces of media.
-Actual TESTS and performance based on your adventures that could mark the difference between getting Griffindor to win the House Cup or not. Yes, it wasn't granted.

Everything, packed into such a small system.

What is baffling is that the GBA versions dropped this RPG approach for one more akin to those that we could encounter into the PSX/PS2 games: bland, uninventive gameplay which didn't did anything in favor to tell any other thing beside the story that was already told in the films.

Such a shame. And more even knowing that Harry Potter IP will be forever mismanaged until a "Persona-like" game happens.

Looking back, it's weird because they did do Prisoner of Azkaban on GBA as a turn based RPG. If you were to play all of the Harry Potter games on GBA/DS in order you'd have two action adventures, switch to the RPG, and then go back to action adventure. It's very odd how they handled that.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Looking back, it's weird because they did do Prisoner of Azkaban on GBA as a turn based RPG. If you were to play all of the Harry Potter games on GBA/DS in order you'd have two action adventures, switch to the RPG, and then go back to action adventure. It's very odd how they handled that.

The Prisonare of Azkaban game on the GBA is from the same devs as the ones from GBC, the others aren't.

If it wasn't for the way they messed up the difficult curve on the giant spider boss battle that game would be close to perfect. It had everything you could want from that franchise.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Because after the tremendous success of 1 and 2 in GBC, they commissioned that studio to do Azkaban in GBA. But I think that the distributor made the third party worse by interfering more.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
StopSkeletonsFromFighting covers this on their YouTube series Punching Weight from time to time. For some reason this topic always fascinated me.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GG Shinobi 2 and the SNK fighting games on NGPC will probably always be my favorites.
NGPC in general is underrated and full of really good conversions of SNK's arcade/home titles. All of the fighting games are excellent, Neo Turf Masters, Dynamite Slugger, Metal Slug 1st and 2nd Mission, etc. Plus tons of original properties (Card Fighter's Clash, Dark Arms, Biomotor Unitron, Faselei, a bunch of puzzle games).

For this topic in general, Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel and the GBA Klonoa games come to mind.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Nice thread! The God of War games on PSP were also amazing for the hardware... no loading times during levels and graphics that looked close to PS2! GTA Liberty City Stories was GTA3 on PSP! THPS2 on GBA blew my mind as a kid... also Mario Kart on GBA! Too bad the screen was so bad you could not see much haha! There are quite a few gems... Mortal Kombat 2 on GameBoy also comes to mind.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
nz1hhGt.jpg

Came in here to post this, I was legit shocked with how good it was/is. Great take on the game and almost perfectly implemented.
This bad boy right here:

220px-Burnout_Legends.jpg

Knowing that PSP is much weaker than PS2, I expected gimped down experiences, and I did have some games like that in system's first year. But Burnout Legends (and it's follow up Dominator) straight up blew me away. I always thought Burnout is the one series that pushed PS2 to its limits and now way in the hell that high speed gameplay would transfer well to PSP. Boy, how I was wrong. They left nothing behind, they even brought slow mo crash cam (which I thought seeing that in the palm of my hand was miraculous).

There are some other games that transferred the experience well from PS2 to PSP, like SW Battlefront games, NFS games, Juiced, SSX, NBA Street, Tekken, Soul Calibur etc but all were gimped down titles. Only Burnout was this close to its home console counterpart.
Best thing about this is if you have a hacked Vita, you can load a cheat/patch to play it at 60fps and it runs at that framerate *perfectly*. It's a joy.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

One of the most CPU intensive games on the genesis, ported to a system substantially weaker in every regard, without sacrificing the core experience. How in the goddamn world, M2 are wizards.

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
I only remember playing two games that could fit this criteria.
  • Donkey Kong Land 2 - Basically a scaled down version of DKC2; really great game and good music.
  • Sonic Colors DS - I remember having a lot of fun playing this game. One of the better Sonic games I've played since S3&K.