SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
boba-fett-main_75a5545c.jpeg

Boba Fett. Badass bounty hunter with weapons all over his body, particularly long range missiles and guns.

latest

Vile (Vava in Japanese). This dude is straight up just a purple Mandalorian. He even uses similar weapons to Boba. The only difference is his color and the fact that he has a giant suit of armor he rides around in.

This would probably get a class action lawsuit nowadays. It's like they didn't even try.

He even comes back with colors more similar to Boba in a later game.

latest

With The Mandalorian recently airing, it's even more blatant now that the design is more ingrained in the public mind.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna flip when you find out what the original idea for Mega Man was gonna be.

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Geez, that's wild that that's the only iconic bit of Star Wars that MMX is inspired by. Good thing there's no other inspirations towards any of the other characters or Capcom would be in a real pickle.

Oct 29, 2017
90's and 80s action games in general were like the wild west of blockbuster character rip-offs. Contra's Terminator and Xenomorph, etc. That one game that straight up had Godzilla in it without the rights

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The irony is that VILE is a better and more interesting character than Boba Fett.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Let's talk about all of the fighting game characters that were ripped wholesale from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

There are quite a few of them

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's talk about all of the fighting game characters that were ripped wholesale from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

There are quite a few of them

SNK took it a step further with Benimuaru in KoF, where in the first game he even wears Polnareff's outfit.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When will the vegetable farmers sue Dragon Ball, I wonder.

Anyway the boss designs and the subsequent boss powers you get on the Mega Man titles are always cool. I just wish these games weren't so dang hard.

May 15, 2019
Like with L and R there's no distinction between B and V in Japan, so even though they transliterate it as "Vava" it's actually pronounced more like "Baba" which is even more blatant.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
While i do thing Sigma was a great addition to MVCI, i would love to have Vile playable in a next game

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Why would there be a class action lawsuit?

Class action means a bunch of people who are harmed all filing a single lawsuit together..

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
there is a big reason why they got away with it, the design is 60% different making it a new character

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
There are fine lines between ripping off, homaging and parodying. Vava is not the former.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Duff McWhalen is the greatest boss name ever and I cannot be convinced otherwise. R.I.P. my boy Duff.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part about this is that not only did the English localization do that for no real reason, Claire Redfield's voice actor is the one who made the decision.
Alyson's reason was "my SO was a fan of Guns N' Roses and was sad when they went on a hiatus" which I can respect since it gave us Duff McWhalen.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Japanese developers clearly ripping off popular media is one of the charms of classic video games.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine, Star Wars ripped everything off of japanese and french comics anyway