• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I love Nintendo. Like many others on this site and beyond, I have deeper ties to Nintendo than probably any other gaming entity. With the Switch, Nintendo is doing some of their best work in years.
That's lovely, it's good to see Nintendo at their top work again. HOWEVER, less savory is the Nintendo grandstanding I see on this site in particular.

There's a thread about Nintendo reinventing sliced bread damn near hourly on ERA. Opinions are obviously opinions, and people are obviously entitled to them (so as long as they aren't aggressively attacking or demeaning others), but there are so many declarative statements here it boarders on quizzical. Is Breath of the Wild an amazing game? 100% yes. That said, the amount of pieces and threads on this site (and that other one) act like BOTW popped out of a vacuum only the Nintendo Gods could have meticulously constructed is severe. I mean hell the declarative inflection of this XC2 thread (https://www.resetera.com/threads/ju...at-nintendo-made-the-new-final-fantasy.32000/) is exactly what I'm talking about. As a Nintendo fan, and a general game fan, I feel I have to be missing something here. What is it about Nintendo experiences that create this revelatory reaction?

Last edited:

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Nintendo IS on a roll right now, and has been for a year. Unless they start to drop the ball again, they have earned it.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's atrocious, but calling it out is almost immediately greeted with "lol no way, show proof"

So i just roast it tongue in cheek when i see it

Deft Beck

Oct 26, 2017
Space
People are just caught up in the moment. It's like how bashing Nintendo was trendy back on [VHS tape loses tracking] because the Wii U wasn't doing so hot.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is having a really good time indeed, it's just really nice combined with the fact they made an appealing product unlike Wii U.
There was some that insisted there was review bias just for how good the games they released last year.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not remotely a problem. People are declaring God of War GOTG here and it's not out for a while yet, for example.

Everything's fine. People are just excited and/or happy.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fanboys going to be fanboys. Nintendo fans do seem to be the most hyperbolic of the bunch, but it is what it is. And they're understandably excited with the Switch's success after the Wii U was such a sales failure and whipping boy in console wars last gen.

If there's one shortcoming to the gaming side of Era, it's that the fanboyism seems more rampant than on the old site. The mods are great about giving out warnings for the worst of the console warrior nonsense, but there's just too much to reasonably keep up with.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is a repeated thread issue in general. Yes, there's a "Switch changed my life" thread every other day, but the same applies to some other kinds of threads as well. That combined with people having a penchant for posting news inside mega threads results in the thread listing feeling very noisy.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I honestly don't comment in most threads in gaming, I just like to browse, but I like when people want to talk about what they like and celebrate it, it levels out alot of the negativity or threads that want to take a critical angle on things. Good to have both as a reader at least.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how a thread about best videogame trees suddenly had people defending BotW's trees in it, but it happened.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Tbf for each "nintendo is awesome" thread (often hugely hyperbolic opinion) there is a "lol Nintendo sucks" one (often absolutely deserved) .

Wait for their network service reveal.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
It's the same thing on GAF and all general gaming forums except for big ones that focus on the games themselves like Reddit. People have deep personal links to Nintendo from childhood and see them in a magical Disney sort of way.

Foxtastical

Oct 27, 2017
It's been like this for years man, this isn't a new thing. Nintendo fans are a weird breed of their own.

Jan 10, 2018
You know the Naughty Gods and bath tub memes?

People invest in ecosystem financially and emotionally, that is neither new nor Nintendo exclusive.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
People do get overly dramatic when it comes to their love of Nintendo sometimes, but to be fair the opposite also tends to be true. Back on the old site during the Wii U years there was a "Nintendo is doomed" thread every week to match the "Nintendo has saved gaming" threads we get now.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Whenever I read "X fans are insuferable" I automatically know not to take that person seriously. Its just seeing what you wanna see.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Nintendo is funny to me because they seem to inspire only blind, childlike wonder or petulant hatred in people. I don't see that many people who are just cool with them.

They make good video games. And if you don't like the video games they make, that's okay.

People do get overly dramatic when it comes to their love of Nintendo sometimes, but to be fair the opposite also tends to be true. Back on the old site during the Wii U years there was a "Nintendo is doomed" thread every week to match the "Nintendo has saved gaming" threads we get now.
People were throwing their Wiis in trash cans after poor E3 showings.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's atrocious, but calling it out is almost immediately greeted with "lol no way, show proof"

So i just roast it tongue in cheek when i see it
Kinda creates a vicious cycle tho. I feel like a lot of Nintendo grandstanding is a direct result of people downplaying Nintendo (starved for games, "Belda") and often outright being hostile ("this person had a bad experience with customer service? I would be surprised, but this is Nintendo.")

GLHFGodbless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Member has been warned: console warrior rhetoric.
Nintendo fans can finally poke their heads out of their caves after the disaster that was the Wii U, it's somewhat understandable that some of the more enthusiastic fans would want to shout Nintendo a success from the mountains tops every chance they get, especially after a stellar first year. But it is getting kind of old a year into it. The Zelda thread the other day about it being he most complex something or another in gaming history had me rolling my eyes. The amount of times Botw gets its dick sucked on these forums is absolutely insane.

Also, Nin fans killed the media create threads. They use to be one of my favorite to look forward each week, bit now I don't even look passed the initial numbers.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The exact same thing happens with the hatred towards Nintendo too, as some have already said its just a console fanboy thing and Nintendo with the success of the Switch and Zelda etc have now re-entered the war.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not different from any fanbase here, but only the Nintendo fans get the flack. There's literally a "The five Souls games have the consistently highest quality of any series ever" thread right now and games like MHW get lots of praise threads everyday. How is that different?

Nintendo fans have their problems (kinda too delusional) like any other fanbase, but it's funny how some people take offence with positive threads about them while they never complain about similar threads to other companies.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen these types of threads for games on all platforms.

As one of, if not the most popular publisher, Nintendo gets a lot of love, but also a lot of hate.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Why are you so bothered? Sony, MS and others have had their days.
This. It is always the same depending on which platform is hot right now.
I remember reading some of the Sony exclusives threads on GAF back then. Don't really see much difference. People will share what they enjoy the most at the moment.
Wait for the PS5 threads. Or Nextbox.

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
It was the same when PS4 rebounded from the PS3 and you couldn't move for Kaz and Banderas gifs
Switch is the new hotness. After years of the Wii U doldrums, people are celebrating.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of gamers are Nintendo-only, so getting a console with modern games after the Wii U blunder is pretty uplifting.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol at acting like this is a Nintendo-specific thing that happens

not to be a dick but that says more about your selective vision than anything else

these things happen. they tend to happen in regards to things people are passionate about. people are passionate about a great many things. that's just how it goes. either throw your opinion in there or just ignore the threads.

also only Nintendo could have made Breath of the Wild. no seriously, it's a Zelda game only they could have made it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more an issue of hyperbole to get a click-worthy thread title - something can't just be "Nintendo is doing X pretty well right now" it has to be "Nintendo has BLOWN AWAY the competition" or some such. That's what grinds my gears most of all, but taking things to the extreme is what works on the internet now in every arena, not just this little corner.

That said, it is frustrating to see people essentially changing a praise thread into one that just craps on what other people may like. The whole "let people like what they like" argument falls apart if that excitement involves bashing everyone else.

OP
OP
Confused Cheeseburger
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you so bothered? Sony, MS and others have had their days.

I'm not losing sleep over this at all. I guess it's worth reiterating, I love Nintendo. Odyssey and BOTW are #1 and #3 for me this entire generation. As someone who traffics in a lot of general gaming threads, the Nintendo hyperbole is pretty stark when it appears. Quite distinct as well.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The impression i get is that many Nintendo fans literally only play Nintendo games. So everything is a revelation.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
They have the best reviewed games
They are willing to delay games for quality
Their DLC is always good value
They always try new things
They look after their IP
They don't over-release games from the same franchise
They are not afraid of failure
They are still dedicated to single-player titles.

If every major publisher was like Nintendo, the industry would be a better place. That's why people are so vocal.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of Nintendo fans are only Nintendo fans. Stuff that has been done for years is new to them.

Oct 25, 2017
They're in ascendance right now but they're still largely dependent on hitting strong first party releases and managing a decent catalogue of third party titles.

I think the amount of positivity and hype that surrounds the Switch specifically in this environment could dissipate over the space of one or two years if excellent first party games start to dry up or significantly underperform.

I don't think that's going to happen personally, but I'd say that it is worth bearing in mind how quickly people's perception can change based on a company's output. At least some of the positivity is based upon the promise of future titles rather than what we have right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo fans took a lot of shit during the Wii U years so they're loudly celebrating now while seeming the most insecure toward any criticism.

Nintendo fan since I was 5, but that shit is annoying here.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Between the overzealous Nintendo fans, people whining about overzealous Nintendo fans, and trolls shitting up Nintendo threads, I wish everyone would shut up. GROWL! D:<

iamsgod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah. It's the same with every fanbase. It's funny to see every fanbase think that they're better

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Eh it's sickening at times. But it's not unheard of for this forum or any forum. The Naughty Dog threads? In spite of the fact that their games are generic for starters and have a ridiculous amount of mindless shallow interactions in between combat that ranges from "hey that's actually pretty good" to "wow this is lame". Or Rockstar and games like Red Dead where admittedly the presentation is amazing, but somehow a game with the shallowest version of third person cover shooting is some 10/10 mustardpiece of the ages. Or that period where Platinum should develop everything, even though depending on the director of the project, the platinum game can actually be pretty garbage.

Not saying any of those cats don't make some dope games (Bayonetta, Breath of the Wild, Last of Us are all good, even excellent games), but the over worship of some of these companies isn't new, unheard of, or even exclusive to just Nintendo. So I just gtf over it, because it's really not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. I honestly get more annoyed when people let the insufferable fanbase be an excuse to not try/like something genuinely good (Rick n Morty, Portal, Undertale). Like yeah I get it, the fans are inane, but ...............the thing they like is actually pretty fucking well made.

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf for each "nintendo is awesome" thread (often hugely hyperbolic opinion) there is a "lol Nintendo sucks" one (often absolutely deserved) .

Wait for their network service reveal.

Yeah, pretty much. I swear, it feels like some posters are posting on a totally different site sometimes. I see Nintendo get so much shit around here, and then people turn around and whine about how much praises Nintendo, and it's like, "huh?" It's so weird

Status
Not open for further replies.