• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Burning questions about acne? Oily skin? Dry skin? Wrinkles?

You've come to the right place.

I've answered hundreds of questions in threads and in PMs over the years, and now, in this new place we now call home, I'll answer hundreds (?) more. But first, some (very brief) background:

Skin is complex. Complex as fuck. But there are a few ground rules that everyone should abide by to treat it right. As a note, I'm not in any way affiliated with any of the companies whose products I may happen to recommend in this thread now or later. I will also not post any URLs to any products because I'm not seeking any referral link-generated profit. I just want to help!

So with that, here we go:

Step One: Cleanser

skincare-face-wash.jpg

Cleansing is the first step to clearing dirt and oil from your face. This is important because the build-up of sebum (our body's naturally-produced oil), along with sweat and the general debris of the day, clog pores and provide the food source for the bacteria that cause acne and other facial blemishes. It's also important as a prep for the subsequent steps because it allows the active agents and other important ingredients to better penetrate the skin and do their job.

What To Look Out For: The best cleansers are free of fragrance, dyes, or any additive "tingling" ingredients like menthol or eucalyptus, which unfortunately pervade "men's" branded skin products. Since a cleanser is not meant to provide any skin care benefit beyond removing surface dirt and grime, it's also a waste of money to buy one that contains active ingredients like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid. The twenty seconds or so that you rub it on before rinsing aren't enough time for them to penetrate into the skin.
Recommendations: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser, Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Step Two: Exfoliant

3_640_320.jpg

Exfoliating is the secret MVP of skin care. When we're younger, our skin naturally undergoes an accelerated cell turnover cycle that keeps it smooth, taut, and blemish-free. As we age, though, the combination of sun damage (we'll get back to this one), hormonal carnage, and poor lifestyle choices can leave skin sallow and unhealthy. Exfoliation through the use of products that contain beta-hydroxy and alpha-hydroxy acid help prevent and/or reverse skin damage by forcing the same accelerated cell turnover cycle that younger, healthier skin experiences. Its benefits are manifold: not only do you help reverse years of skin damage, but you also help ensure that future cellular turnover proceeds more smoothly and reveal younger-looking, healthier skin free of blackheads or whiteheads. As a note, BHA is best applied daily, whereas AHA is something that (due to its higher concentration) is better used weekly as an overnight treatment.
What To Look Out For: The best exfoliants are free of alcohols, essential fruit oils, or any other drying and/or irritating ingredients, and should be packaged in opaque containers that keep out sunlight, not jars that let in oxygen and dirty hands. They need not contain extra cell-communicating ingredients like niacinamide or Vitamin C, but it only helps.
Recommendations: BHA = Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid; AHA = Alpha Hydrox AHA 10% Glycolic Acid Enhanced Lotion, Paula's Choice RESIST Skin Revealing Body Lotion with 10% AHA

Step Three: Moisturizer/Sun Protection

main-qimg-aac2748f5f9529b75e000da4fcfdfa8b-c

Exfoliation is a supremely effective antidote to skin aging and blemishes, but proper use of moisturizer and sun protectant are the preventative measures that render those problems moot to begin with. Moisturizing your skin is important, even for those who naturally produce excess sebum, because it keeps wrinkles at bay and provides a range of cell-communicating ingredients that supplement the rapid cellular turnover promoted by exfoliation. More importantly, though, it also provides sun protection in the form of SPF (sun protection factor) that minimize the negative effects of UVA and UVB radiation on the skin. UVA radiation is the type of deeply penetrating radiation that causes wrinkles over time, and can even develop into melanoma (skin cancer), while UVB radiation is the type that, while not penetrating deeply into the dermal layers, does cause uncomfortable sunburns and can create hyperpigmentation (darkened skin discolorations). Your morning moisturizer should contain an SPF of at least 30, but you have no need to use SPF at night. UVA/UVB rays penetrate clouds, glass, and clothing (so sunscreen is a year-round must!), but for obvious reasons, are not present at night. As a note, since exfoliation can make the skin more photosensitive (vulnerable to sunlight), it's imperative to follow any day exfoliation with at least SPF 30.
What To Look Out For: In the morning, your moisturizer should be your sunscreen. Formulations nowadays (even mineral sunscreens containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) don't leave the ghostly white-ish cast that you might remember from childhood excursions at the beach.
Recommendations: Facial sunscreen = Kiss My Face, Face Factor SPF 30; Body sunscreen = NO-AD SPF 45; Night facial moisturizer = Dr. Carver's Miracle Repair Serum; Night facial moisturizer = Olay Quench Body Lotion Ultra Moisture

OK, that hopefully wasn't too much.

But it's only the tip of the iceberg. This is a very broad overview of what your ideal skin care routine might look like. However, because skin is complex (as fuck), there's a whole host of other more specific concerns that people might face. So if you have any questions about the following:​
  • Mild-to-severe OTC or prescription acne treatment
  • Enlarged pores
  • Dry/oily/combination skin
  • Shaving/grooming/ingrown hairs
  • Toners/serums/lotions/masks/essential oils
  • Laser treatments
  • Skin lightening/brightening
  • Diet/exercise/genetics
  • Smoking/drinking/masturbation
...or anything else, then ask away! This is your space to learn everything and anything you ever wondered about your body's largest (and sexiest!) organ.

EDIT: Some of the thread's most prolific routines!

My current routine, with a focus on oil control and pore size

Morning:

1) Cleanser: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser (a gentle, low pH cleanser that is free of any fragrance, dyes, physical exfoliants, or any irritants, and lathers without the use of sulfates but is still powerful enough to remove sunscreen/makeup without the need for multiple rounds of cleansing; the Niacimamide and Ceramides help soothe skin and keep the moisture barrier intact while still providing a thorough cleansing)
2) Toner: Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner (perfect for humid/hot weather compared to the more emollient Paula's Choice-style toners, and the low concentration of plant/fruit oils is worth the pleasing natural fragrance; the Licorice Root Extract is a super calming ingredient that makes this a great aftershave)
3) Serum: Asterwood Naturals Matrixyl 3000 + Argireline Peptide + Vitamin C (a super light yet hydrating fluid that is loaded with skin-repairing peptides, antioxidants, and humectants at therapeutically appropriate concentrations for an absolutely absurdly affordable price - easily my favorite skin care product in years; Matrixyl is a fairly common blend of peptides that help fight off the onset of wrinkles, but in combination with the mild muscle relaxant Argireline, Hyaluronic Acid, and 20% Vitamin C in its most stable form, it's an absolutely brilliant formulation)
4) Sunscreen/Moisturizer: Paula's Choice Hydralight Shine-Free Mineral Complex SPF 30 (as a darker-skinned individual, I've never been a massive fan of mineral sunscreens, but this light, non-greasy formulation trades the white cast for a subtle, brightening glow and while the Shine-Free claims are not altogether fulfilled, it won't exacerbate any existing oiliness like my old emollient Kiss My Face sunscreen could sometimes do; Green Tea Leaf Extract, Chamomile Flower Extract, and Algae Extract are great additions that make this a great calming moisturizer in addition to a fantastic sunscreen)
5) Setting Powder: Physicians Formula Super BB Insta Ready Filter Trio Powder SPF 30 (I don't wear makeup, but for added SPF protection. a subtle setting powder like this one or other ones in the Physicians Formula line can help enhance your sunscreen's potency, with the added side benefit of reducing the appearance of shine without adding the appearance of wearing makeup; Mushroom Extract has nice antioxidant properties and Hydrogenated Castor Oil is always a winner for added moisture retention)

Evening:

1) Cleanser: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser
2) Toner: Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Calming Toner (a milk-textured fluid that is a bit heavy for your average toner, but is so packed with skin-identical and cell-communicating ingredients that it could practically serve as a moisturizer on its own; Vitamin C, E and B5, along with Niacinamide, not to mention all the soothing anti-irritants like Allantoin make this toner the ideal barrier replenishment for sensitive skin)
3) Exfoliant: Paula's Choice CLEAR Extra Strength Exfoliating Solution with 2% BHA (a typical exfoliant with an atypical delivery mechanism for deeper but still gentle penetration, and a product that should be a staple of everyone's nightly skincare routine; Salicylic Acid is the superstar ingredient here, and the answer to everything from blackheads to enlarged pores to redness)
4) Serum: Stratia Rewind (a fantastically spreadable, cosmetically appealing serum that is advertised as an essence for subsequent moisturizers but is itself a powerfully moisturizing and anti-aging solution; Niacinamide and DMAE are perfect for post-exfoliant pore love, and the Centella Asiatica Extract is great for improving the appearance of acne scarring)
4) Moisturizer: The Ordinary Buffet (a cutting-edge formulation that packs the same anti-aging ingredients in my morning serum bar Vitamin C, but in a richer but not uncomfortably thick texture that just quenches skin like no other moisturizer I've ever used)

NOTES OF DIFFERING CONSEQUENCE AND IDENTICAL STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS

1) A facial moisture mist like the NuSkin NaPCA Moisture Mist is, for skin care done quick and cheap, the undisputed champion of value and efficiency. Its combination of Niacimaide, Sodium PCA, Hyaluronic Acid, and Aloe Vera make it a potent moisturizer unto itself, and on lazy evenings, is just enough post-cleansing skin care to not feel guilty. But it's also great to set powder with, and restores a natural dewy look if you've happened to over-apply powder. Any flaking or dryness during the day if you're on Retin-A? Just a little spritz and gone. I use it on my entire body, keep an extra bottle in my car, and would basically bathe in the stuff if I could.
2) 2-3 times a week, I use Tretinoin 0.1% as an anti-aging booster. It's easy to get without a prescription from places like Indonesia where it can be purchased OTC, but any retinoid should not be taken lightly.
3) Once a week, I use AHA for added exfoliation. The Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant that I use has a lighter texture than the one I've typically recommended, and is great for high-humidity environments and times of the year, but the other one is still totally fine (that dollar per ounce!).
4) For a more legitimately shine-free experience, the Paula's Choice CLEAR Ultra-Light Daily Hydrating Fluid SPF 30 is a fantastic chemical (non-physical/mineral) sunscreen, but make sure to apply it 15 minutes before sun exposure
5) If you wear water-resistant sunscreen actives or heavy makeup (particularly water-resistant products around the eye area), cleansing with a water-based gel cleanser like the CeraVe should come after an oil cleanse with a dedicated cleansing oil like the Kose Softymo Cleansing Oil or (my personal preference) a bottle of cold-pressed Rosehip Seed or Kukui Oil from your local drug store.
6) Few oral supplements will help your skin. I'm personally not a fan of supplements in general. But in my experience, a combination of 1000mg Vitamin C and 500mg Glutathione daily is an incredibly effective (and safe!) skin brightening solution. Been doing it for years.

Hope this helps someone!

Tabris' Asian beauty routine, a powerful toning/firming regimen: with pictures

recommended skin care items to start with:

Oil Cleanser
Gel Cleanser
Moisturizer
Sunscreen

Then once you've gotten that under control, change it to following:

Oil Cleanser
Gel Cleanser
Toner
Essence
Exfoliator
Sheet Mask / Serum
Moisturizer
Sunscreen

And the most popular AsianBeauty options for those are as follows, almost all of them on the cheaper end:

Oil Cleanser: Banila Co Clean It Zero
Gel Cleanser: Corsx Low Ph Good Morning Cleanser
Toner: Corsx One Step Original Clear Pad, change to another toner if you don't have issues w/ sensitive skin.
Exfoliator: Corsx AHA Whitehead Power Liquid and Corsx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid. Use them once every couple of days alternating between the two. You don't want to over exfoliate
Essence: Missha First Treatment Essence
Sheet Mask / Serum: So many different options but some recommended brands on cheaper end are MediHeal, Tony Molly, Tosowoong, Kose - Pick up some according to your skin concerns.
Moisturizer: Missha Near Skin Repairing Snail Cream
Sunscreen: Biore UV Aqua SPF50+++

And the other large key, introduce 1 item at a time in the 2nd regime - so start with Oil Cleanser, Gel Cleanser, Moisturizer, and Sunscreen. Confirm no bad reaction on the skin, then repeat this for each item above. Otherwise if you do have a bad reaction it's hard to track down the one that's causing it.

After you get this down, then you can start doing Ampules.

Pet's exfoliating, resurfacing regimen

Mornings:

1. Rinse off with warm water.
2. Toner for a quick rinse (either sk 2 FTE or beauty water)
2. Apply Melano CC (vitamin c)
3. Apply Shark sauce (niacinamide, sea Kelp bioferment, 1% hyaluronic acid & more goodies!)
4. Apply moisturizer (benton steam cream or dr jart ceramide cream or grown alchemist white tea pepto cream)
5. Apply sunscreen (skin aqua super moisture milkm alcohol free!)

Evenings:

1. Wash (Tosowoong cleaner)
2. Retinol (using FAB but probably switching to Differin if patch test doesn't break me out)
3. Shark sauce (see above)
4. Missha ampoule
5. Corsx snail serum
6. Moisturizer (see above)
7. Sleeping mask if I REALLY need it (corsx honey or laniege)

Last edited:

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
So glad this is back, the other thread was a stellar source of info for all sorts of skin issues. Thank you Leona <3

Actually, I guess I have a question. What's the best way to deal with keratosis pilaris on your arms/thighs? I went to a dermatologist about it, he recommended some cream that I used for about two weeks before giving up because it felt like it wasn't doing anything. Should I have just stuck it out? Do you have any recs for specific products? Is there a certain way you have to use it for ideal effectiveness?

He told me to use OTC Excipial. He also...want a great communicator. Kinda just told me to use that then sent me on my way without really telling me what to expect.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've been using the Jack Black line. It's a bit expensive but they make good products. I think they are carried on amazon and ulta.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big fan of their lip balm too

Gotta be really careful with beauty products on amazon though as counterfeiting is rampant. You can order direct from jack black through amazon though

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking to bring an eye-cream back into my routine. I'm totally out of the loop on what's 'good' at the moment though. I used one of Clinque's that had spf in it a while back which I was reasonably happy with but I'd love any recommendations anyone might have.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to bring an eye-cream back into my routine. I'm totally out of the loop on what's 'good' at the moment though. I used one of Clinque's that had spf in it a while back which I was reasonably happy with but I'd love any recommendations anyone might have.
Eye creams are a tricky thing. Most of them are just as well substituted by an effective serum or moisturizer for a fraction of the price, not to mention that most are packaged in a way that harms the effectiveness of the product over time. However, there is something irrationally nice about the luxuriousness of some of those products.

An acquired taste. But for those who want to venture into that territory, the Olay Eyes Eye Lifting Serum and CeraVe Eye Repair Cream are both excellent and affordable options.

Chamomile

Oct 25, 2017
How do you feel about brands such as The Body Shop and Bath and Body Works, specifically? I know there are similar brands to those two, but I find that they're the most prolific in all of the malls in my particular city. Are they worth it? Or can I find something just as potent, if not more, at a supermarket?

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Leona, please.

I've been experiencing crazy breakouts. My skin is dry and gets dirty very easily. I'm currently in a desert, and I do not have access to basic facial care products. The best I can get here is just body wash.

I feel like a troll, and I asked my mom to send me some face wash. I didn't specify on what I wanted, cause I don't know. Are there any brands you swear by for sensitive skin?

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I have huge pores on my nose that never clear up. I clean them out in the shower and they fill back up with blackheads later. My derm prescribed epiduo forte saying it's the only thing that will long term shrink those pores up. Anyone have experience with this med?

And does anyone have a recommendation for a product that helps reduce the appearance of dark, sunken, or baggy eyes?

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
How do you feel about brands such as The Body Shop and Bath and Body Works, specifically? I know there are similar brands to those two, but I find that they're the most prolific in all of the malls in my particular city. Are they worth it? Or can I find something just as potent, if not more, at a supermarket?
Because they're so prolific, it's more often the case that a particular product in a line might be great even if the line overall is only middling.

What both brands happen to share, however, is a tendency to include harsh "scrub"-like granules in their cleansers that create the illusion of deeper penetration, but are actually only scratching the skin. They might call them "micro-beads" or some other more palatable term, but they're really just the equivalent of cheese-grating your face to pus-spewing, blood-gutted hell. Physical exfoliation (not the chemical exfoliation provided by BHA/AHA) is something I only recommend for people on prescription treatments like tretinoin that might create skin peeling.

It's all about the ingredients and the particular concentration, pH, and formulation of those ingredients. Anything else is just marketing puffery.

Leona, please.

I've been experiencing crazy breakouts. My skin is dry and gets dirty very easily. I'm currently in a desert, and I do not have access to basic facial care products. The best I can get here is just body wash.

I feel like a troll, and I asked my mom to send me some face wash. I didn't specify on what I wanted, cause I don't know. Are there any brands you swear by for sensitive skin?
For sensitive skin, the Cetaphil brand is my go-to. Gentle, with only the mildest of detergents to clear away surface debris. However, in your particular case, something like a facial toner or Micellar Water might make more sense because you don't need access to a sink to rinse them off.

I have huge pores on my nose that never clear up. I clean them out in the shower and they fill back up with blackheads later. My derm prescribed epiduo forte saying it's the only thing that will long term shrink those pores up. Anyone have experience with this med?

And does anyone have a recommendation for a product that helps reduce the appearance of dark, sunken, or baggy eyes?
Bad call on your doctor's part. Epiduo is for acne, not blackheads. Its main ingredients (benzoyl peroxide and adapalene) fight the P. acnes bacteria that feed on sebum and cause infections that manifest as raised acne pustules.

BHA (commonly known as salicylic acid) is the best solution because it penetrates deeply enough to clear out the pore clogging that causes the blackheads in the first place.

(Get ready for some gross science!)

Blackheads form when the sebum that clogs your pores get so built-up that they poke out from the surface of your skin and (through exposure to oxygen) oxidize and blacken. You can't pull them out because while they appear to only be on the surface, they actually originate at the follicular level of your skin. It's too deep to treat with anything but exfoliant.

Last edited:

Dante&Vergil

Oct 25, 2017
Subscribed.

I usually use cetaphil as moisturizer, and burts bees facial cleanser as part of my weekly routine. Would be nice to learn a little more about other natural products though.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna bookmark this thread. Need to make sure I look fresh facially through my 20s at least

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm so glad you're here Leona Lewis. I wasn't sure if you made the jump, so I didn't want to make a makeup and skincare thread.

Personally I take a more Asian oriented approach to skincare. Moisturize and protect! That means lots of spf, lots of hydration and serums. I also like bb creams as a combo light tint and good spf.

Also, let me just say that tinted moisturizer is something both men and women can benefit from.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad you're here Leona Lewis. I wasn't sure if you made the jump, so I didn't want to make a makeup and skincare thread.

Personally I take a more Asian oriented approach to skincare. Moisturize and protect! That means lots of spf, lots of hydration and serums. I also like bb creams as a combo light tint and good spf.

Also, let me just say that tinted moisturizer is something both men and women can benefit from.
I am also quite fond of the Asian layering approach to skin care. SPF in my lotion, my (occasional) pressed powder, my lip balm (Aquaphor Lip Repair + Protect SPF 30 is an essential purchase for everyone who wants to keep their lips soft and kissable), even my setting spray.

Tinted moisturizer/BB/CC creams are one of the most exciting trends in recent skin care history. South Korea is leading the way on that front, but Smashbox and Neutrogena have some great stuff for a wider variety of skin shades.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Eye creams are a tricky thing. Most of them are just as well substituted by an effective serum or moisturizer for a fraction of the price, not to mention that most are packaged in a way that harms the effectiveness of the product over time. However, there is something irrationally nice about the luxuriousness of some of those products.

An acquired taste. But for those who want to venture into that territory, the Olay Eyes Eye Lifting Serum and CeraVe Eye Repair Cream are both excellent and affordable options.

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I think I'll try the Olay one.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Thanks Leona!

I have access to sinks and stuff, it's just that the environment and my job really dries out my skin, plus I am prone to getting it covered in grease.

I'll try your recommendation :)

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question. So as a person who's prone to hyper-pigmentation, I took your advice in the last thread on that other forum and bought a vitamin c serum. However I'm not sure when exactly to use it in my routine. When in my routine should I be applying the serum? And is it something you shouldn't use twice a day?

Oct 25, 2017
Figure its worth a shot asking, but I work in a factory so my face is constantly exposed to oils and dirt and such.
Nuetrogena hasn't worked
Clean and Clear hasn't worked
So far Humane seems to be working pretty decently.

Should I try anything else?

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Question. So as a person who's prone to hyper-pigmentation, I took your advice in the last thread on that other forum and bought a vitamin c serum. However I'm not sure when exactly to use it in my routine. When in my routine should I be applying the serum? And is it something you shouldn't use twice a day?
Do you know the name of the serum? If it has sufficient moisturizing properties, you would use it after applying BHA at night; no need for further moisturizer. Most Vitamin C serums also have hyaluronic acid and/or ferulic acid, which confer extra moisture-retaining and skin-healing properties.

Sunscreen during the day is key, though, since sun exposure can aggravate existing and cause new hyperpigmentation. When it comes to hyperpigmentation, it's about both treatment and prevention.

Figure its worth a shot asking, but I work in a factory so my face is constantly exposed to oils and dirt and such.
Nuetrogena hasn't worked

Do you mean "worked" as in removed the dirt and oil when you rinsed off the cleanser? Because that's all cleanser does. It doesn't do anything to prevent dirt and oil from piling on after you leave for work in the morning.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know the name of the serum? If it has sufficient moisturizing properties, you would use it after applying BHA at night; no need for further moisturizer. Most Vitamin C serums also have hyaluronic acid and/or ferulic acid, which confer extra moisture-retaining and skin-healing properties.

Sunscreen during the day is key, though, since sun exposure can aggravate existing and cause new hyperpigmentation. When it comes to hyperpigmentation, it's about both treatment and prevention.

Do you mean "worked" as in removed the dirt and oil when you rinsed off the cleanser? Because that's all cleanser does. It doesn't do anything to prevent dirt and oil from piling on after you leave for work in the morning.

I'm using the VoilaVe Triple Action serum as per recommendation in the last thread. I've been using a spf moisturizer pretty religiously, in fact, I use the exact one you reccomend in the OP.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I ask about dry skin on my head? Anyone have how to treat that? It's not dandruff, just dry and flakes :(

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using the VoilaVe Triple Action serum as per recommendation in the last thread. I've been using a spf moisturizer pretty religiously, in fact, I use the exact one you reccomend in the OP.
The two work beautifully together - SPF moisturizer during the day, Vitamin C serum as your night moisturizer. The VoilaVe should be the last step in your night routine. I've since become quite partial to the Pro-Nu Organic 35% Vitamin C Serum with 10% Hyaluronic Acid + 5% Retinoic Acid, but VoilaVe's serum is still ace.

Can I ask about dry skin on my head? Anyone have how to treat that? It's not dandruff, just dry and flakes :(
You should definitely try using BHA in combination with a moisturizer. If the flakiness persists, then a weekly AHA treatment might be called for.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The two work beautifully together - SPF moisturizer during the day, Vitamin C serum as your night moisturizer. The VoilaVe should be the last step in your night routine. I've since become quite partial to the Pro-Nu Organic 35% Vitamin C Serum with 10% Hyaluronic Acid + 5% Retinoic Acid, but VoilaVe's serum is still ace.

You should definitely try using BHA in combination with a moisturizer. If the flakiness persists, then a weekly AHA treatment might be called for.
Ok. What I been doing so far was exfoliating with a bha liquid then using the vitamin c serum but after that I use the olay serum. I guess that's no good

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
At the moment I cut everything out of my routine except for a CeraVe cleanser, and it's helped with my acne some, but not entirely. I think before I was being too harsh on it with so many products. I guess I should look into an exfoliant again, and I definitely need to moisturize. It's just that my face tends to be oily so moisturizing always feels so gross, but it could be that not moisturizing is making my face oily to compensate. And so many moisturizers I've used make me break out. I really need to find a moisturizer that's lightweight enough to not feel gross but heavy enough to get me through the winter.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
At the moment I cut everything out of my routine except for a CeraVe cleanser, and it's helped with my acne some, but not entirely. I think before I was being too harsh on it with so many products. I guess I should look into an exfoliant again, and I definitely need to moisturize. It's just that my face tends to be oily so moisturizing always feels so gross, but it could be that not moisturizing is making my face oily to compensate. And so many moisturizers I've used make me break out. I really need to find a moisturizer that's lightweight enough to not feel gross but heavy enough to get me through the winter.
In your case, you can use a oil-reducing, pore-minimizing toner like the Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner and follow up with a light SPF like the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen. Depending on your oiliness level, that might be enough moisture to get you through the day.

Using a 5% benzoyl peroxide cream at night like the Rugby brand is a good idea, too. It'll make your acne ancient history.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
In your case, you can use a oil-reducing, pore-minimizing toner like the Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner and follow up with a light SPF like the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen. Depending on your oiliness level, that might be enough moisture to get you through the day.

Using a 5% benzoyl peroxide cream at night like the Rugby brand is a good idea, too. It'll make your acne ancient history.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check them out.

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
Nuetrogena hasn't worked

You could try double cleansing, which is using an oil cleanser, followed by normal face wash. Oil is very effective at removing other oils. Oil cleansers are pretty widely available in drugstores these days. They can be a little drying though so you may want to start moisturizing if you aren't already.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I swear by Paula's Choice.
My routine is as follows (Ask me in a month and I'll be using different products...I spend a lot on skincare products).

In order of application
  • Face Shop Natural Rice Water Cleansing Oil
  • CeraVe Foaming Facial cleanser (if I have time I'll use my Clarisonic Mia 1. Note, NEVER use a rotating brush, it causes microtears in your skin)
  • Paula's Choice Hydralight Toner
  • Paula's Choice BHA liquid exfoliant
  • The Ordinary 2% Retinol
  • Mizon Snail Repair Cream
  • Biore Aqua Rich Watery Essence (SPF 50+ PA++++, absolutely LOVE. THIS. SHIT!!!!!!)
  • Cervae face moisturizer
My night application follows a similar path, I use The Ordinary's 23% Vitamin C suspension in place of 2% Retinol, and I use AHA liquid exfoliant (by Paula's Choice) in place of BHA. I throw on a mask like every other week as well. And I don't apply sunscreen (I know some people who use sunscreen 24/7 but Biore's Aqua Rich is too expensive for that shit!).

In the summer I usually prefer a matte moisturizer (I tried out Privai's matte moisturizer this summer, it was pretty nice)

Fakto

Oct 26, 2017
Some of you have what I thought to be only Hollywood skincare routines!
I just use Nivea Day for men in the morning and Nivea Night for men before going to bed.

markavacado

Oct 25, 2017
Hey!
First off, really appreciate you making this thread and helping us out :)

So, I have quite a few scars from some pretty bad cystic acne that plagued my high school years, are there any ways of making the scars look less... errr bad? A topical solution maybe?

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Hey!
First off, really appreciate you making this thread and helping us out :)

So, I have quite a few scars from some pretty bad cystic acne that plagued my high school years, are there any ways of making the scars look less... errr bad? A topical solution maybe?
There are two topical approaches that will help your scars. The first is the use of BHA, which will help encourage cellular turnover through chemical exfoliation and reveal skin deeper in the dermal layers that is smoother and more even.

Depending on the severity of the scarring, though, the pitting may have already reached past the epidermis into the dermis or even the fatty tissue. In this scenario, the second approach is the use of a prescription (or OTC depending on your country) topical solution like Retin-A (tretinoin). It's a potent form of topical Vitamin A, and is practically miraculous in its ability to repair skin whose collagen and elastin have been damaged.

Deleted member 1287

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent! I'm a total idiot when it comes to skincare, so this helps me a lot.

Any tips on minimizing sebaceous filaments on the nose? It's not too bad but it bothers me a little bit, and my nose gets greasy while the rest of my face tends to get dry. I found someone's process on how to reduce them, but the whole routine was about an hour and they recommended doing it twice a week. I just don't have that kind of time to invest in an issue that only bothers me a little bit. I used to use pore strips but I stopped after hearing they're really bad for your nose and can make the issue worse.

Also, what is the purpose of toner and when is it appropriate to use it?

Kirenou

Oct 25, 2017
After slowly learning about better ways to clean my face, my skin has gotten a lot clearer. I'm still having issues with breakouts on my chin and jawline though, most of the time it's due to ingrown hairs. Is there anything I can do to reduce the chance of this happening?

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
i'll stop by and mention i was on accutane a couple of years back. the highest dosage they gave me was 80mg i think. it's been awhile. it's been a rough year or so when i was on it because it wasn't really effective but as time went by like a LONG time after i stop using it i've noticed little to no breakout. But then again if my eating habit takes a sharp turn i can't guarantee it won't rear it's ugly head.

also i'm going to embrace #TeamOily.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I've been using Paula's Choice 2% BHA and I still have blackheads all over my nose after 6 months :(

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
A little over a month ago I started using Brickell Men's Cleanser and Moisturizer every day, morning and evening, with then their face scrub every M/W/F morning and Saturday evenings. Before that I was just using Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Cleanser in the mornings and face scrub in the evenings, which was OK, but my face would feel pretty oily over the course of the day and every couple weeks I'd get one or two noticeable and deep breakouts that lasted far longer than I'd like. But now those random breakouts and blemishes have diminished a lot since then and whatever does pop up is crazy minor and clears up in a day or two. Most of the time I just get something due to an irritated hair folicle in my beard and virtually nothing on my cheeks or forehead.

One thing it hasn't helped with are the pours on my noise which are still far too large and noticeable. I guess going by the recommendations in the OP I should introduce a BHA/AHA product in my evening routine? And I should probably be applying some kind of SPF protection as I'm so white I'm practically transparent.

Last edited:

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Here to testify that thanks to Leona Lewis' BHA/AHA/Cleanser/SPF tips I overhauled my routine and my skin looks smoother than ever. Praise be

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is going to be extremely helpful to me, since I know nothing about skin care, but suddenly care very deeply about this subject.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent! I'm a total idiot when it comes to skincare, so this helps me a lot.

Any tips on minimizing sebaceous filaments on the nose? It's not too bad but it bothers me a little bit, and my nose gets greasy while the rest of my face tends to get dry. I found someone's process on how to reduce them, but the whole routine was about an hour and they recommended doing it twice a week. I just don't have that kind of time to invest in an issue that only bothers me a little bit. I used to use pore strips but I stopped after hearing they're really bad for your nose and can make the issue worse.

Also, what is the purpose of toner and when is it appropriate to use it?
Pore strips are indeed worthless. They only remove surface-level obstructions, which actually begin much more deeply, sometimes as deep as the follicle itself. The best way to remove sebaceous filaments (which have flesh-colored, gray or yellow tips) or blackheads (which have black tips because they are oxidized filaments) is to use BHA because it's oil-soluble and dissolves sebum and other substances that might be clogging the pore lining.

Toner is something you would use after cleansing to remove any excess dirt and oil that cleanser didn't. Recommended after heavy activity or just as a booster for ingredients like niacinamide or Vitamin C that might otherwise only be available in heavier, more emollient serums and lotions that not every skin type responds well to.

After slowly learning about better ways to clean my face, my skin has gotten a lot clearer. I'm still having issues with breakouts on my chin and jawline though, most of the time it's due to ingrown hairs. Is there anything I can do to reduce the chance of this happening?
Using a salicylic acid-based aftershave like the ones in the Dollar Shave Club line will help ingrown hairs. I also recommend shaving with a heat-activated cream like Cremo Shave Cream. You will not only have the most comfortable shaving experience of your life, but you'll cut your shaving time in half.

I've been using Paula's Choice 2% BHA and I still have blackheads all over my nose after 6 months :(
Health and lifestyle choices make a big difference. Smokers tend to get more non-inflammatory blemishes like blackheads and whiteheads because cigarette smoke contains unhealthy particles like nicotine. It also affects the immune system, which can respond by producing excess oil-producing hormones.

Skin care is not just a topical regimen, unfortunately.

A little over a month ago I started using Brickell Men's Cleanser and Moisturizer every day, morning and evening, with then their face scrub every M/W/F morning and Saturday evenings. Before that I was just using Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Cleanser in the mornings and face scrub in the evenings, which was OK, but my face would feel pretty oily over the course of the day and every couple weeks I'd get one or two noticeable and deep breakouts that lasted far longer than I'd like. But now those random breakouts and blemishes have diminished a lot since then and whatever does pop up is crazy minor and clears up in a day or two. Most of the time I just get something due to an irritated hair folicle in my beard and virtually nothing on my cheeks or forehead.

One thing it hasn't helped with are the pours on my noise which are still far too large and noticeable. I guess going by the recommendations in the OP I should introduce a BHA/AHA product in my evening routine? And I should probably be applying some kind of SPF protection as I'm so white I'm practically transparent.
BHA at night after cleansing and SPF in the morning after cleansing.

Here to testify that thanks to Leona Lewis' BHA/AHA/Cleanser/SPF tips I overhauled my routine and my skin looks smoother than ever. Praise be
May the Lord open.

OP
OP
Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing is 85% of "for men" and "for women" products are exactly the same just in different bottles and priced differently.
Facts.

And where there are differences for men's products, they're almost invariably for the worse. Apparently menthols and phototoxic fruit oils are what men need to stay looking young and healthy. Not to mention irritating fragrances and harsh beads.

A racket.

Fakto

Oct 26, 2017
Funny thing is 85% of "for men" and "for women" products are exactly the same just in different bottles and priced differently.
I will check that! Still, I usually buy men's product because the label has more simplified information and generic approach, with woman's products I always have the feeling that I require much more things to have the complete treatment since every one of them seems oddly specialized.