• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I realize there's a spoiler thread already, but some of us have had some burning questions on what the ending will be like, but care MUCH more about platforming spoilers than plot spoilers. This thread is for you (and me lol). Just be warned:

1. I think this does spoil the kingdom with the final battle.

2: I have a video of the ending below, but I had to use time stamps. AFAIK, if you go behind that time stamp, you may spoil the final battle, so if you don't have any self control or maybe you think youtube won't load it correctly for whatever reason, don't click it!

3: Personally, I'd like it if you mark any gameplay spoilers if possible. I just want to talk about this games ending!

Here's the video with the ending time stamped. VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK! (If you want to turn back now, DO SO!)

https://youtu.be/ChQP6aYd5mY?t=3m51s

For those of you who don't want to see the video, but want to know what happened, I'll summarize it.

After Mario kicks Bowser's butt as usual, he looks like he's about to propose to Peach. However, Bowser wakes up from his daze, and HE also tries to propose to Peach. Mario and Bowser sorta get into a war over who can propose the best to Peach, but then Peach suddenly yells "NO!", rejecting both of them in a stunning plot twist!

Mario and Bowser are totally bummed out as Peach leaves for the Odyssey (that hat ship), but then she says "Let's go home!". Mario turns that frown upside down, and Bowser chases after him too (he probably just wants to kidnapp Peach again). Mario goomba stomps Bowser's head, and jumps up to grab Cappy, and cue the credits!

It's a short ending, but I think it's actually pretty interesting when you think about it!

Here's my take:

I think this ending shows that Mario has been getting the wrong message for the ENTIRE series: Peach is NOT romantically attracted to him, he just thought she was! Kisses have different meanings in some cultures, so I think Peach had no romantic intentions with this kiss.

I think that this empowers Peach quite a bit. She may still be a damsel in distress unfortunately, but she makes it clear in the ending that she isn't some plaything for the boys either: She's her own person, who makes her own decisions in life!

I also think this may show some new emotional maturity on Mario's part. Now, in real life, I sorta doubt most people get over rejection that fast, but I think this is supposed to show that Mario has accepted Peach's decision, and you know what? He still values her friendship with her! I think that's pretty cool on Mario's part!

I have a feeling a lot of people are just gonna be like "LOL MARIO GOT FRIENDZONED!", but I think there's more interesting things to discuss here. What's your take on this ending?

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
There's a concept in marketing that describes how you go down a funnel in the consumer relationship. First you make the consumer aware of your product (talk to the person), then you ask them to do a small commitment such as check out your page ("ask them out on a coffee date"), the next step would be something like asking them to sign up for a newsletter/email list/social media ("introduce them to your parents"), and then the last step of the funnel is to ask for the sale ("ask them to marry you").

Mario skipped the coffee and went straight for the marriage question.

Takeaway: Ask a girl out on a date before you ask her to marry you, even if you have a long history.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Surprised this thread didn't get more action but I really liked how Peach didn't have to marry anyone as a mandatory expectation. I think we all sort of wanted Mario and Peach to get together but as you say perhaps Odyssey puts a spotlight on the fact that there was never really an implied romance there? Mario isn't rewarded with a wife for his endeavourers, Peach isn't a prize. It's a great message.

Also the ending song is so good. Please stop me from listening to it for the 40th time.