• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Christopher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for accessibility in games. I usually suck at a game for the first two hours and then it starts to gel. This is very welcome.

Oct 27, 2017
I have 0 problem with this addition to SMO, but while this doesn't necessarily have to do with just Odyssey itself, but the question made me think of game design at large. Funny that having a line that tells you exactly where to go is considered an Assist mode in this game, considering that games like the Witcher III, Horizon, Assassin's Creed are built around you putting on your forensic sunglasses and following the glowing lines. I really do think it speaks to a strong difference in progression and level design between this game and others that the dotted lines aren't required in one but are in the others, and that perhaps those games could benefit from structuring their scenarios better so that one doesn't NEED to be following a line to get to where they're going.

Oct 25, 2017
Forget a kid, it's good for my sister, who is inherently crippled towards any game with depth perception, yet can finish Super Mario Bros. 2 in like an hour

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
It's a great idea and I love how unintrusive it is for those who don't care about it. You basically get the option once and then it's hidden in the options forever.

Oct 26, 2017
Easy mode is always a good idea. It let's those who aren't as physically or mentally capable as others to play and enjoy the game.

Philxor

Oct 27, 2017
Coventry, UK
I don't see why this should be heralded as specifically for kids or those with impairments (although that is a compelling reason on its own merits), I think difficulty diversity is absolutely crucial if you want more people to get into games full stop. That can only be a good thing. I don't always want challenge, but the option should always be there.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
It has been amazing for my 6 yr old so far. I was hesitant to turn it on for him because I thought it might be like the stuff from 3d land/world that removes all of the challenge, but it is perfect. It offers just enough direction without making him feep like it is giving him answers and it hides the penalty removal in a way that doesnt impact the feel of failing a challenge. We might try to two player mode later this weekend too.

It would be nice if they let you toggle which aspects of assit mode you want though. Like if you could disable the arrows but keep the penalty removal.

Brentos

Oct 28, 2017
I think it'd be great for Nintendo to also do the opposite, and offer hard modes at the beginning of their games, Perhaps that'd include slightly harder puzzles/platforming or maybe more difficult/longer boss fights. There have been several times playing through Odyssey, where I was really enjoying a boss fight, only to have it end abruptly after hitting it 3 times!

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
That's really cool.

We recently got our Switch. I haven't really had the chance to spend some time with it yet, but my son's been all over it. Good to know this option is there for him, should he need it.

I do know that there are similar, helpful options available in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. My wife's been using the assist that keeps you on the track, which has been brilliant for her as she struggled in the past with always going over the lines or falling off the track. We've already had a few family tournaments and it's been great fun.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great idea. And I think Nintendo have finally gotten it right after experimenting with such features in the past. Having it as an option to choose at the start and never seeing it again if you decline is the way to go, rather than trying to have it pop up 'intelligently' if it looks like you're struggling.

Honestly I'd like to see them do something similar with a hard mode, because as charming and wonderful as Odyssey is, the difficulty for series veterans is really low.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I guess i will tell my girlfriend to play it when she start it! She got difficulty in 3d games, only one full 3d she enjoy is Lego City.

EMBee99

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
I just appreciate mechanics that allow goofing off - assist mode or no, my 4 yo literally played as the T-Rex for two hours, just stomping around and collecting enough coins through that to stay alive.

We'll work up to the goals eventually, but it's just a treat to watch him run around.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Woah. I was unaware this was a thing. I think it's a brilliant idea for people who are newer to games as well as younger kids. All games should feature something similar when possible. It's sad people would get outraged if this became the norm as it's not mandatory :S

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I am playing with my wife and assist is great, though I wish pathfinding could be turned off.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Yep, it's no surprise Nintendo was the one to come up with this, they've always cared a great deal about videogame accessibility. This and Mario Kart 's auto steer and accelerate options are really good.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the write up, I totally avoided this mode as it felt offensive :P lol

I may use this mode when my younger cousins play the game if they have any trouble.

I admittedly sometimes get a little frustrated that they don't have strong problem solving skills when it comes to playing these type of "classic" games so to speak ( "when I was a kid games were harder etc." and all that ) but it's just the way it is, you don't have to be a problem solver to have a good time with a game, and I suppose the more options the wider spread of players and the experience is more important than "skills" and "git gud".

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that this mode is good for people who arent good at these kinds of things, but on the flip side they should have made the main game harder

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The mystification of difficulty in games is so annoying. Idiotic arguments about Dark Souls being the ultimate game because it's hard is making gamers look like elitists dumbasses at times - no, Dark Souls is liked because of the mechanics, the worldbuilding. Difficulty does not mean quality.

Assist modes or super easy modes are cool, because they offer the chance to anyone to immerse themselves in a game's world. You can lock certain achievements or a secret ending behind a harder more if you want, but stop with the elitist difficulty options. I am good at games, I can tackle most games on harder difficulties, but why limit the audience to the pros?

Nintendo is right with this mode, people shouldn't be afraid to boot up a relatively hard game. Especially when we're talking about kids and non-gamers. Wii and Kinect blew up like that because EVERYONE could understand those games. Allowing anyone to finish a game is good, considering if you're really interested but can't play it you'll just watch it on YouTube and bam, lost a potential sale.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds good for kids but it works out great for all of us since the normal mode can have less hand holding. Making a single mode or difficulty that is suitably challenging for all players is a kind of ideal and Nintendo can do it. In practice this two-tier design works better since each mode doesn't have to serve such a broad range of player ability.

SystemShark

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary
Mario Kart 8 D does have a great assist mode. It has been crucial in my son and his cousins enjoying the racing.

My favorite thing to do is have a big race with the group and turn off the assists to watch pandemonium ensue.

I agree that more games should have these inclusive options.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ha, I like how the objective marker is considered an easy mode mechanic.

This is good to see regardless, though.

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
Options like these should always exist, they help beginners get better at 3D gameplay without the fear of losing time and progress over mistakes.

Video games should be fun, and I think Nintendo nailed it here!

Best post in the whole thread IMO! I'm a big believer in all games should have OPTIONAL Easy and Very Easy difficulty modes along with normal, hard, extra hard and brutal. A full range of difficulty options is best for everyone so each person can play at the difficulty level they're confortable with that matches their skill level. Anyone who wants to play and enjoy video games should be able to, and there should be as many options available to them as possible to give them a great experience! We were all "casuals" and new to games at one point in time. I think it's omportant to remember that and rally for more options for all. The more options a game has for enjoyment the better!

I do have one question: If I turn on Assist mode, can I still get all the moons, purple coins and collectibles in the game or will it lock me out of some of them? I'm progressing A-Ok so far without the assist mode but if it'll still let me get everything I may just turn that on so I can just enjoy the game!

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have kids but this thread is so heartening to read. What a genius way to introduce young players to the game while still making it fun

Oct 26, 2017
There was once a time where games had this thing called difficulty settings. Trying to finish SR2 on Mania on 5 lives was an experience.

No seriously, it's literally a difficulty slider. It's nice that it's there , and i like the fact that they have named it in a way that won't piss off mario purists (game never had difficulty option), but it's literally an easy difficulty setting.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Best post in the whole thread IMO! I'm a big believer in all games should have OPTIONAL Easy and Very Easy difficulty modes along with normal, hard, extra hard and brutal. A full range of difficulty options is best for everyone so each person can play at the difficulty level they're confortable with that matches their skill level. Anyone who wants to play and enjoy video games should be able to, and there should be as many options available to them as possible to give them a great experience! We were all "casuals" and new to games at one point in time. I think it's omportant to remember that and rally for more options for all. The more options a game has for enjoyment the better!

I do have one question: If I turn on Assist mode, can I still get all the moons, purple coins and collectibles in the game or will it lock me out of some of them? I'm progressing A-Ok so far without the assist mode but if it'll still let me get everything I may just turn that on so I can just enjoy the game!

As far as I know it doesn't lock you out of anything, it just makes the game easier. You're free to change it anytime you like, so go for it!

I think giving the player choice to have their own fun makes the best kind of games, and that often comes down to the difficulty settings.

roxaloxa

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
100% on board for it, I just wish it had some more granularity so you could enable/disable individual things that Assist Mode does. Also it'd be nice if it just got rid of health altogether.

I was playing last night and when I got to the part in the Sand Kingdom where you're on the moving platforms with the bombs that explode and create the expanding rings you gotta jump over, and my girlfriend was watching and said "I was thinking my brother's kids would like a Switch and Mario but holy shit this looks like it'd be impossible for them." I don't know if that specific challenge gets any easier with Assist Mode on, but I think it's definitely on the right path toward allowing more people to play.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with it, just wish some of the stuff in standard mode was moved to the assist mode.

Or a hard mode would be nice.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Its a great idea so kids won't struggle. I don't plan on trying it though cause the game is easy as it is. A bit of frustrating deaths won't harm

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a great inclusion, but I wish that its presence meant that they had a proper death penalty in the main game. Losing 10 coins is no penalty at all, you'll typically have those back in 10 seconds or less.

Had the death penalty been a percentage of coins... then you'd really feel it.

Aygomyownroad

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa I never knew about this.

My 4.5 year old daughter loves playing me at Mario kart and the assists help her dramatically.

Will be great to see how she fares when I get this

Oct 27, 2017
challenge is what defines games. if nintendo does this, whose to say that From software won't just put a skip button in the next bloodborne?

/s Seems like a really cool way of making the game playable for younger players and for people new to the Mario series.

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know it doesn't lock you out of anything, it just makes the game easier. You're free to change it anytime you like, so go for it!

I think giving the player choice to have their own fun makes the best kind of games, and that often comes down to the difficulty settings.

The Pet of the Month Thsnk you for the friendly reply! Since it won't lock me out of anything I'll turn on Assist Mode when I jump back into the game shortly! I put 5 hours into it yesterday, I can't remember the last time that's happened with a video game! I'm expecting to put in another several hours today!

Linkyn

Oct 27, 2017
The addition of more choice is always a good thing. They don't force you to use it, but having that option is really nice for younger or less experienced players. The same goes for optional hard modes, as well. Ideally, you should be able to adjust various factors affecting difficulty on the fly. You can still tie things like achievements to more rigid requirements (eg completing the entire game on a given difficulty setting or with certain modifiers enabled / disabled), but this way, every player can tailor the level of challenge to their own skills and priorities.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I don't mind when games have this, but it should let people choose what they want to turn on or not whenever possible. Some people might want an easier game, but maybe not so easy. Like how the assist options for nonograms work, where you can choose the kind of help you want.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
The Pet of the Month Thsnk you for the friendly reply! Since it won't lock me out of anything I'll turn on Assist Mode when I jump back into the game shortly! I put 5 hours into it yesterday, I can't remember the last time that's happened with a video game! I'm expecting to put in another several hours today!

Sorry for the late response, I hope you have been enjoying your time with the game!

winstein

Oct 28, 2017
Malaysia
The firs thing that comes to mind when knowing what Assist Mode does reminds me of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which is already mentioned. One thing I found out about Mario Kart 8 is that it feels like if you made a mistake in timing turns, it's rather time-consuming to get back on track. Not that I have trouble with Mario Kart 8, but I feel that this is great if I got, say, someone who might not be used to the driving system in Mario Kart 8. I am not sure how easy Mario + Rabbids becomes if Easy mode is activated, but I imagine that it makes the (I heard it's difficult) game more accessible.

Therefore, for Super Mario Odyssey, while I would likely not use this due to my overall experience with Mario games, I think that, because of Mario's popularity, getting as many people as possible to enjoy the creativity of Mario games is a great thing as a whole. There are some people who likes to be challenged like me (for the most part), but there are some who wants to be able to play this game without worrying about all of that.

I do wonder, if an equivalent of an Assist Mode would be ideal if the developers want to remake older Mario games like the Super Mario games for the NES or SNES, but I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Thank you for reading.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea. We take our experience, familiarity and interest for granted. If I'm stuck, i know where to go to get the info. My 7 year old will just get frustrated.

He tried playing wind waker but only stayed on the initial island for a month. Just running around, picking up pots and cutting grass. He became afraid of moving forward. Assist would be really helpful for him. I hope it continues. Eventually, they'll learn the rules, both written and unwritten and stop needing the assist.

And we all should encourage, optional, assist modes. It helps grow the community. Because we get more games when there are more gamers.

Deleted member 16365

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played through the game the whole way and got 500+ stars before I turned on Assist Mode. I'm gunning for 999 and I'd rather have an easy enjoyable trip. No shame here.

ArashiPrime

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Assist Mode and 2-player mode, along with the auto-steer/accelerate from Mario Kart, are godsend in our household. Between my oldest son (8) and myself, we'll be playing a lot of Mario, and my 3-year-old always wants to join in. He's obviously too young to actually play very well, but he wants to be like big brother and daddy and play. He also just loves the characters. We ended up settling on the 8-year-old playing Mario and the younger one playing Cappy, and that worked well since he didn't need to concentrate on moving. Only ended up playing about 10 minutes, but the young one loved every second of it.

Given how my older son progressed in his game-playing skills in the 4-6 year range, I know that we will probably be revisiting Odyssey when the younger one gets a little older, and will use Assist Mode extensively. Even my older son knows he can toggle it on and off if he gets too frustrated with dying. I'm all for Nintendo continuing to include these kinds of options in games in the future, especially ones like Mario or Yoshi games where it will likely attract younger kids anyway.