• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.level5.co.jp/recruit/career/new/

E5q1C6DVgAImIJ0

Google translated text on the site:
A completely new project of Level Five, which has sent out Professor Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Yo-Kai Watch, etc., has been launched!
We are looking for creators to shape new challenges together .
Of course, we also welcome creators who can participate in the project currently under development .
Would you like to make a game that excites the world together?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Remote work and some high level positions. Good to see. Could be for Ushiro, since that was still in pre-production when they announced it as a Switch title now.

OP
OP
Xenosaga

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Remote work and some high level positions. Good to see. Could be for Ushiro, since that was still in pre-production when they announced it as a Switch title now.
I doubt they would use "completely new RPG" if it was for Ushiro..... I guess that's still separate, if it ever releases lol.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
didn't these guys give up releasing said games to other regions?

I am not even sure if this will even be a console game even

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honest question from a position of ignorance: is Level 5 doing alright?

I'm a lapsed fan from the Dark Cloud 2 and Ni No Kuni eraand was under the impression that this studio has bled a lot of talent in the past 4ish years. Did they have some large projects go belly up or something?

udivision

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a lapsed fan from the Dark Cloud 2 and Ni No Kuni eraand was under the impression that this studio has bled a lot of talent in the past 4ish years. Did they have some large projects go belly up or something?
Their ability to release games in a timely manner is very lacking.

Pretty sure they have a game (Inazuma Eleven) that was announced in 2016 they they delayed until 2023.

Megaton Musashi was supposed to come out Summer 2021 iirc but it hasn't been talked about since last year's TGS.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019

They are not in a good position right now... their focus on Yokai Watch didn't really pay off and they neglected almost everything else to pursue that.

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, it appears that they're also the publisher for that project which likely means they're seeing the lion's share of that revenue — which is great news if true. You scared me with that "licensed to a Korean developer" line, it seemed that could mean they wouldn't be seeing the bulk of that profit. I really hope they pull through because their failed expansion really looked like the type of thing that kills smaller ambitious companies like that, even ignoring the obvious pandemic-sized elephant in the room.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Hmm, it appears that they're also the publisher for that project which likely means they're seeing the lion's share of that revenue — which is great news if true. You scared me with that "licensed to a Korean developer" line, it seemed that could mean they wouldn't be seeing the bulk of that profit. I really hope they pull through because their failed expansion really looked like the type of thing that kills smaller ambitious companies like that, even ignoring the obvious pandemic-sized elephant in the room.

Yup, I hope they're smart with that money and it keeps them on their feet.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
They're probably the best JRPG maker in business. I wonder if Sony or Nintendo acquiring them would be beneficial to the studio in the long-term. (Only because of L5's publishing history).

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019

From Gematsu:

The following positions are currently available:

Game Director
Producer
Programmer
Planner
3D Character Designer
3D Character Motion Designer
3D Map Designer
Effect Designer
User Interface Designer
Test Player (Part-Time)

Level 5 did say before they are working on a new Ni No Kuni game. no details have been shared as to the scope of the project so it could be either that or a new IP.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Sony or Nintendo acquiring them would be beneficial to the studio in the long-term. (Only because of L5's publishing history).
Iunno, they don't feel like the type to sell. If they ever get into serious trouble, they can always pull the DQ9 remake ripcord or work under other publishers like Bamco.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Dont they still have like half a dozen projects they have to ship ? Guess Hino still hasnt learned.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
What kind of RPG though?

White Knight Chronicles?

Rogue Galaxy?

Dragon Quest VIII?

Ni no Kuni?

Yokai Watch?

Others?

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
They're probably the best JRPG maker in business. I wonder if Sony or Nintendo acquiring them would be beneficial to the studio in the long-term. (Only because of L5's publishing history).
I mean, I liked white knight chronicles and the sequel better than most.... But I can think of a lot of better jrpg makers. Sega, Square Enix, Namco Bandai, and more...

grand

Oct 25, 2017
You must be a REALLY big fan of Yokai Watch lol
Iunno, they don't feel like the type to sell. If they ever get into serious trouble, they can always pull the DQ9 remake ripcord or work under other publishers like Bamco.
While I also doubt they plan to sell, returning to Dragon Quest isn't really their decision to make. Square seems rather content with their current system of internal development with support from Cavia spin-off studios.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I remember once that level 5 was kinda one of the best jrpg studio. it's sad to see them like this :(

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
You must be a REALLY big fan of Yokai Watch lol

While I also doubt they plan to sell, returning to Dragon Quest isn't really their decision to make. Square seems rather content with their current system of internal development with support from Cavia spin-off studios.

While I miss the special flavor each developer brought to the DQ games they developer it's the right decision for Square to develop the games infernally. In any case, Level 5 should be focused on building up the IP they own.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if they were making bank from that NNK mobile game it would absolutely be in the list of IPs in the application section.

Probably is helping keep them afloat but doubt it is the huge payday some are suggesting.

Nov 28, 2017
This could only mean Dark Cloud 3

Not unless, SONY funds it (they own half of the IP, sort of...) or acquire L-5 and then fully fund it themselves. The dream still lives on...

www.polygon.com

Level-5 wants another Dark Cloud as much as you do

But it’s not up to them, says CEO

That hurts. It's true, but as a dark cloud fan it hurts

The wait is almost as long as Shenmue's was until that E3 announcement...

I remember once that level 5 was kinda one of the best jrpg studio. it's sad to see them like this :(

I mean, the talent is still there, but their focus is currently on GaaS and mobile, and the YOY revenue stream doesn't make us any favors either. Either an acquisition or they'll continue down this GaaS/Mobile licensing road, as much as they can.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feel like if level 5 wanted to make another Dark Cloud they could have just made "murky sky" by now and called it a day. Ain't like that series was known for it storytelling and writing.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Didn't they buy Inafune's studio a while back

Did anything ever come of that

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Make wkc3
But make it good

I mean, the talent is still there, but their focus is currently on GaaS and mobile, and the YOY revenue stream doesn't make us any favors either. Either an acquisition or they'll continue down this GaaS/Mobile licensing road, as much as they can.
Don't forget selling plastic trinkets!

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I feel like if they were making bank from that NNK mobile game it would absolutely be in the list of IPs in the application section.

Probably is helping keep them afloat but doubt it is the huge payday some are suggesting.

Well, Pokémon GO is one of Nintendo's biggest money-makers yet they wouldn't present themselves as "the company behind Pokémon GO!!!". It's a matter of what are the prestige titles the company is known for.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Never even knew what Yokai Watch really was but it's a shame the steam for that ran out. Really liked what I played of Rogue Galaxy, loved Dragon Quest VIII and I'm currently enjoying my second attempt at Ni No Kuni II. Hopefully this is another big AAA project.