• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE:
Tencent confirmed.

Noteable interesants were Sony and Tencent by a proxy (iDream).

4-CFAAE7-B-1-DAA-469-D-A2-B5-A76-D751-E9-EC2.jpg

Last edited:

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I believe Tencent bought it.
I wish it was Sony.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Probably Tencent but I'd prefer Sony, especially if they kept their stuff multi platform. While Tencent would definitely be multi-platform I just can't support the company.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Sony has been making some moves in the PC space lately which kind of surprises me since they sold off their computer entertainment studio a while ago. With that being said I still think it's Tencent.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Hoping it's Tencent, honestly. Just want to remind people that they bought Grinding Gear Games but if you look at Path of Exile you probably would have never guessed it. PoE gets hella updates all the time and has, I think, the best monetization model for a F2P game I've ever seen.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Hope a third party gets it. Worried SIE would get some developers if Sony Corp doesn't make a Sony Online Entertainment like separation. There are game developers outside of SIE at Sony but why risk it?

Hoping it's Tencent, honestly. Just want to remind people that they bought Grinding Gear Games but if you look at Path of Exile you probably would have never guessed it. PoE gets hella updates all the time and has, I think, the best monetization model for a F2P game I've ever seen.
GGG and Digital Extremes are already cool with each other. IIRC they helped GGG with advice or something for their Exile Con (TennoCon being Digital Extremes' convention that they have been doing for years).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Hope a third party gets it. Worried SIE would get some developers if Sony Corp doesn't make a Sony Online Entertainment like separation. There are game developers outside of SIE at Sony but why risk it?

And what's the problem with that? It's not like they have multiplat famous IP's, and at SIE they could do their thing with full backing.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Damn, if it's sony, maybe they will help Digital extreme to make another game other than Warframe! A Big AAA solo game from them could be so good ! With their talent, i really hope one days we can see it from them. ( if they want to make one haha)

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
My guess is it's Centuri as according to Bloomberg in May there was an MOU between them and the majority stake holder. Things could have changed but that's my guess

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone explain why Sony would be interested? Could you point me to the post?

This seems out of character based on Sony's previous acquisitions of studios they've had close relationships with before bringing them inhouse.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
That would be Warframe, where you can acquire the ingame premium currency through normal playing/trading. PoE doesn't give you access to the mtx shop items unless you pay (at least as far as I know).

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

I love Path of Exile but I constantly get confused as to how people call it the "best monetization model". The only simple way to trade is to buy premium stash tabs. The only decent way to organize your stash are the league specific stashes. They still have lootboxes that can give you anything from a piece of cosmetic armor to a doodad for your hideout and the prices for the cosmetics are insane.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Did anyone explain why Sony would be interested? Could you point me to the post?

This seems out of character based on Sony's previous acquisitions of studios they've had close relationships with before bringing them inhouse.

It's a Sony Corp interest, not a SIE/PlayStation one as far as we know. And three of those six studios/publishers are located in China, so it may be one move to further enter in their market.

Anyway, those studios may work completely independently from the PlayStation division.

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017

It's the Sony mothership that's interested in buying Leyou, not SIE/PlayStation Division.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018

I think Daniel Ahmad made a great summary of Leyou and why it could be interesting for Sony.

Thread here:

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
It's a Sony Corp interest, not a SIE/PlayStation one as far as we know. And three of those six studios/publishers are located in China, so it may be one move to further enter in their market.

Anyway, those studios may work completely independently from the PlayStation division.

snip

It's the Sony mothership that's interested in buying Leyou, not SIE/PlayStation Division.

I think Daniel Ahmad made a great summary of Leyou and why it could be interesting for Sony.

Thread here: snip

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

Curious to see who picks it up.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
And what's the problem with that? It's not like they have multiplat famous IP's, and at SIE they could do their thing with full backing.
I like Warframe (I doubt this would be removed from platforms). I feel like Warframe may be on it's last legs so whatever they make next would have a chance of being on fewer platforms if MS, Sony, or Nintendo don't get the bid. Just like Microsoft possibly getting WB Games.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
In the next few hours. Although I'm not familiar with the Hong Kong Stock Exchange rules. But typically if you're halting trading, the announcement happens on the same day.

Cool. Sounds like it's time for bed then :)

If it's Sony then I look forward to the 3,000 post thread when I wake up where half the people are are complaining and the other half are excited.

If it's not Sony then ah well, won't matter much to me :D

Oct 30, 2017
Cool. Sounds like it's time for bed then :)

If it's Sony then I look forward to the 3,000 post thread when I wake up where half the people are are complaining and the other half are excited.

If it's not Sony then ah well, won't matter much to me :D

Ahaha. Indeed.

I hope it's Sony. They would be solid support studios for WWS. Maybe even one of them could revive PlayStation Home.