• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, leave that pixel refresher alone, it doesn't "refresh" anything, it actually stimulates wear in order to reduce visible burn in.

If the burn in was a patch of grass that was shorter than the rest of your lawn, pixel refresher is like running a mower over everything at the same height.

Garwoofoo

Oct 28, 2017
4:2:2 Dolby Vision @ 12-bit, to me, provides more visible benefits right now and especially on the long run when newer games will be DV native.
But from what I'm seeing on newer series you don't have to quit PC Mode anymore for that.

That's interesting - thanks for your impressions.

I'm only using PC mode to get 4:4:4 so if that's not available with Dolby Vision, I'll probably switch back to Game mode, it enables more options in the TV settings at least.

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
CX / Series X owner here.

when 120 is selected on xbox, i have visible color banding... can easily detected it on AC: Valhalla, during the loading "screen" (when Eivor is in the dark, foggy, watery scene...) Don't remember being like that before...

Garwoofoo

Oct 28, 2017
when 120 is selected on xbox, i have visible color banding... can easily detected it on AC: Valhalla, during the loading "screen" (when Eivor is in the dark, foggy, watery scene...) Don't remember being like that before...

Setting the TV input to PC mode (changing the icon) will fix that - mostly.

I've heard the problem has also been fixed in the new firmware we should all be getting very soon.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I see. And pray may I ask what the benefit of 44 is over RGB?
RGB and YCbCr encode the image differently.
RGB must use the full resolution for each channel (red, green, and blue) because anything less looks broken. This is equivalent to 4:4:4.

YCbCr splits the image into black & white (Luma, or Y) and color channels (Chroma difference, or CbCr).
By separating the two, it means that the resolution of the color signal can be reduced without having a significant impact on the image sharpness, since it overlays a sharp black and white image.
  • 4:4:4 uses full resolution Luma and Chroma channels.
  • 4:2:2 uses full resolution Luma and half-resolution Chroma channels.
  • 4:2:0 uses full resolution Luma and quarter-resolution Chroma channels.
This saves bandwidth because our eyes do not have the same ability to see color detail as the do black and white detail.
Nearly all video files are encoded as 4:2:0 for example - even UHD Blu-rays.

Most televisions today work internally in YCC, and process the image in 4:2:2 by default - so even if you send them an RGB input, it is converted to YCC 422.
Some older TVs might even process the image in 4:2:0 (Pioneer Kuro Plasma TVs, for example).
Switching them to PC mode processes the image in 4:4:4, preserving the full resolution of an RGB or YCC 444 input; but it often disables many processing options that may be too taxing at that resolution, or reduces the precision of other processing.

Chroma resolution played a significant factor in image quality when gaming at lower resolutions.
When your image is 1080p, and the image is processed in 4:2:0, you only have 540p color resolution.
I remember games like Rez HD looking awful on the Xbox 360 at anything less than 4:4:4/RGB, since it was 720p.
But once you get to 4K, even 4:2:0 only lowers the chroma resolution to 1080p, so the impact is far less visible now.

Here's an old example from a Pioneer Kuro plasma in one of the Gran Turismo games on the PS3:
rgbgamejmkky.png
420game6rkqf.png

Note how fine details are blurred, and colors are dulled.

And with some 1px wide text:
rgbtextpzjxf.png
420textjmk9o.png

Green is based on the Y channel (Luma) so it's sharper than red/blue in YCC signals - which matches how our vision works.

I believe LG's OLEDs process the image in 4:2:2 at all times, unless you switch them into PC mode.
If you're actually using the display with a computer, text should look much better in PC mode.
If you're using it for games, it may not make much difference most of the time.

I believe there was an issue where HDR (or was it 120Hz?) had more color banding outside of PC mode, but I think it was fixed in a recent update.

I'm only using PC mode to get 4:4:4 so if that's not available with Dolby Vision, I'll probably switch back to Game mode, it enables more options in the TV settings at least.
PC mode and Game mode are not mutually exclusive on these displays.
You can set the input label to "PC" and still switch to the Game Optimizer mode.

Nothere

Oct 26, 2017
Setting the TV input to PC mode (changing the icon) will fix that - mostly.

I've heard the problem has also been fixed in the new firmware we should all be getting very soon.

It is already running PC mode, but i do love the information you gave me... i was afraid something was wrong with my box!
I'll post my impressions once the firmware drops.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone get the latest C1 firmware? It's changed the TV settings for my Xbox (so it saidf anyway). I dont have the old values at hand to see what its changed though. And for PS5 it got me doing the HDR setup again

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Just don't worry about it, the new sets are much more resilient.
I play games with no limits and I've yet to have any burnin occur. It might well happen one day, but it is yet to.
Having not really followers this thread for a while. What's the concensus now for the lg C9 of you still use that. Is it still HGIG and PC mode I've tried Dolby vision game mode and it seems to have abit more input lag noticeable on Far cry 6 and back 4 blood

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone get the latest C1 firmware? It's changed the TV settings for my Xbox (so it saidf anyway). I dont have the old values at hand to see what its changed though. And for PS5 it got me doing the HDR setup again
I got mine pushed a few days ago, but I haven't checked settings to see if anything has changed. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check when I get home.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It's going to be interesting seeing how much difference there is between HDR/4:4:4/PC mode (which is what I'm running at the moment), and Dolby Vision/4:2:2/Game mode (once that's available).

Anybody with the update for CX got any thoughts on that?
Having not really followers this thread for a while. What's the concensus now for the lg C9 of you still use that. Is it still HGIG and PC mode I've tried Dolby vision game mode and it seems to have abit more input lag noticeable on Far cry 6 and back 4 blood

HDR is the way to go.
DV is dimmer on the TV and can't do 120hz or 444

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a good 5 Meters hdmi 2.1 cable?

If I purchase a TV I want to place it across the room from my PC and I need at least 5M to reach the tv.

If there is a good brand with that distance I will appreciate if someone can point me to them.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017

If I purchase a TV I want to place it across the room from my PC and I need at least 5M to reach the tv.

If there is a good brand with that distance I will appreciate if someone can point me to them.
If budget is not a concern, a Ruipro fiber cable should work at that length.
I'm not sure if there are newer/better options now though.

Dec 15, 2017

Zeskit has a 16ft thats works great for me for under $50 cdn on amazon. I have 4 of their cables in varying lengths and they all pass the test.

Oct 27, 2017

I would love a recommendation as well, but for 50 ft / 15m! Looks like Zeskit doesn't go that long (probably since it's it needs to be an active or fiber cable)

JohnnyUtah

Jul 15, 2018
RGB and YCbCr encode the image differently.
RGB must use the full resolution for each channel (red, green, and blue) because anything less looks broken. This is equivalent to 4:4:4.

YCbCr splits the image into black & white (Luma, or Y) and color channels (Chroma difference, or CbCr).
By separating the two, it means that the resolution of the color signal can be reduced without having a significant impact on the image sharpness, since it overlays a sharp black and white image.
  • 4:4:4 uses full resolution Luma and Chroma channels.
  • 4:2:2 uses full resolution Luma and half-resolution Chroma channels.
  • 4:2:0 uses full resolution Luma and quarter-resolution Chroma channels.
This saves bandwidth because our eyes do not have the same ability to see color detail as the do black and white detail.
Nearly all video files are encoded as 4:2:0 for example - even UHD Blu-rays.

Most televisions today work internally in YCC, and process the image in 4:2:2 by default - so even if you send them an RGB input, it is converted to YCC 422.
Some older TVs might even process the image in 4:2:0 (Pioneer Kuro Plasma TVs, for example).
Switching them to PC mode processes the image in 4:4:4, preserving the full resolution of an RGB or YCC 444 input; but it often disables many processing options that may be too taxing at that resolution, or reduces the precision of other processing.

Chroma resolution played a significant factor in image quality when gaming at lower resolutions.
When your image is 1080p, and the image is processed in 4:2:0, you only have 540p color resolution.
I remember games like Rez HD looking awful on the Xbox 360 at anything less than 4:4:4/RGB, since it was 720p.
But once you get to 4K, even 4:2:0 only lowers the chroma resolution to 1080p, so the impact is far less visible now.

Here's an old example from a Pioneer Kuro plasma in one of the Gran Turismo games on the PS3:
rgbgamejmkky.png
420game6rkqf.png

Note how fine details are blurred, and colors are dulled.

And with some 1px wide text:
rgbtextpzjxf.png
420textjmk9o.png

Green is based on the Y channel (Luma) so it's sharper than red/blue in YCC signals - which matches how our vision works.

I believe LG's OLEDs process the image in 4:2:2 at all times, unless you switch them into PC mode.
If you're actually using the display with a computer, text should look much better in PC mode.
If you're using it for games, it may not make much difference most of the time.

I believe there was an issue where HDR (or was it 120Hz?) had more color banding outside of PC mode, but I think it was fixed in a recent update.

PC mode and Game mode are not mutually exclusive on these displays.
You can set the input label to "PC" and still switch to the Game Optimizer mode.

My gosh. Thank you so much for such a detailed, informative explanation. I have seen lots of takes on this, but have never seen such a well-explained, well-broken down primer on it. Really appreciated. Will be putting on PC mode once I get home from work. That's fabulous. Have a great day!

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Use HGiG with 800 nits. Very good HDR.
Hey mate watched your YouTube video about this thread...very informative lol. I have the c9 I've calibrated sdr with the xbox sdr calibration and for the black eye to disappear my brightness needs setting to 55. Would 55 then be whats needed in HDR too as there isn't the option to try see the brightness in HDR

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey mate watched your YouTube video about this thread...very informative lol. I have the c9 I've calibrated sdr with the xbox sdr calibration and for the black eye to disappear my brightness needs setting to 55. Would 55 then be whats needed in HDR too as there isn't the option to try see the brightness in HDR
I just watched the video and reading elsewhere I decided I reset all my inputs and the only thing I changed now is warm2 and that's if it wasn't already set to that.

Kyle Key

Apr 15, 2018
Quick question - how do I enable the 40fps mode in r&c on ps5? Is it just in the settings and will then change the output settings accordingly?

Yeah, if you have the 120fps option enabled in the PS5 settings, then there should be another graphics option you can select in the game for 40fps. You might have to go back to the main menu though; maybe they've patched it since, but I think I remember the in-game options screen having it disabled when I first tried.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's the easiest thing to do, reset the inputs and copy all the settings from the cinema preset
Yeah I reset everything to the default settings then applied them to all inputs. Only things I've changed is warm2 for sdr and hdr game modes. Otherwise I'm keeping the out of the box settings.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Ok, I further tested Dolby Vision games on my Xbox Series X and B7/C7 and I can confirm that DV Game preset tone mapping target is 10.000 nits Max HDR Luminance there, while Paper White or White Point target should be around 200 nits.

Max HDR Luminance should be around 1.200 nits on C8/C9/CX/C1, but you can test it yourself with very useful in-game HDR Luminance sliders (0-10.000 nits) of:
  • Battlefield 1;
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (select "Game" HDR type first);
  • AC: Origins and Odyssey;
  • Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox Beta Ring only for now);
  • Gears 4 (even if you can't see the nits value, it's a 0-10.000 nits slider with 10.000 nits all the way to the right);
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (select Midpoint 0.9 first).
With very consistent results between them.

I also found that Xbox HDR Calibration app (which still triggers HDR and not DV on launch) does actually alter the in-game HDR values in some games which now automatically launch in DV, so if you also want to cover them you need to apply 10.000 nits (clicking all the way to the right in second and third screen) for 2017/2018 LG OLEDs and 1.200 nits (+18 clicks on second and third screen) for 2019/2020/2021 LG OLEDs.

Enjoy ;)

Last edited:

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
Man Crysis 2 remastered in Dolby vision on the LG B7 looks off. The hdr sliders are breaking my head trying to figure out a good look. Default settings are very washed out.

landed on:
White Point 100
HDR Brightness 0

Looks much much better than the washed out default values

Last edited:

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the 4K of The Social Network a couple nights ago on my CX. The opening bar scene triggered the ASBL :/ Why can't that just be in the regular settings so I can turn it off when I watch movies?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Man Crysis 2 remastered in Dolby vision on the LG B7 looks off. The hdr sliders are breaking my head trying to figure out a good look. Default settings are very washed out.

landed on:
White Point 100
HDR Brightness 10

I don't have the game, but try White Point 200 and HDR Brightness maxed out and see what happens.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The amazon prime app of WebOS showing the HDR tag for some movies and series while they dont have it. Never stops being annoying

TotalMackerel

Oct 26, 2017

landed on:
White Point 100
HDR Brightness 0

I think the digital foundry video on crysis 2 mentioned that HDR is currently pretty bad in the game and they recommended playing with it off until it is fixed.

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
I don't have the game, but try White Point 200 and HDR Brightness maxed out and see what happens.

Well what makes it even more confusing is that both sliders just go from 0 - 100. And the default values are very weird.

Default HDR values below. I find it looks washed out.
White Point 63 / 100
HDR Brightness 50 /100

Right now I'm using
White Point 100 / 100
HDR Brightness 0 / 100
I'm sure there's black crush but looks less washed out. Still doesn't look right.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Well what makes it even more confusing is that both sliders just go from 0 - 100. And the default values are very weird.

Default HDR values below. I find it looks washed out.
White Point 63 / 100
HDR Brightness 50 /100

Right now I'm using
White Point 100 / 100
HDR Brightness 0 / 100
I'm sure there's black crush but looks less washed out. Still doesn't look right.
Ok, that sounds to me as another bad HDR implementation as well...

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still considering this deal for the 48" C1:

LG OLED48C1PUB 48 Inch 4K Smart OLED TV (2021 Model) | BuyDig.com

Buy the LG OLED48C1PUB 48 Inch 4K Smart OLED TV (2021 Model) at buydig.com, and receive fast, free shipping and a flexible return policy.
$1377ish with tax here, but comes with 4 year warranty that INCLUDES burn in, $120 visa gift cards, a few % cash back from reward sites/credit card, etc.

But all this talk about ASBL has me pretty worried. 90% of the movies I watch are horror films and obviously can have plenty of dark scenes. I know ASBL can be disabled, but potentially(?) throwing that great warranty out the window is...... sigh. I just dunno.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the 4K of The Social Network a couple nights ago on my CX. The opening bar scene triggered the ASBL :/ Why can't that just be in the regular settings so I can turn it off when I watch movies?
ASBL is lessening my enjoyment of Disco Elysium on the XSX.
For what it's worth, a service remote is less than $10 on Amazon.
I think LG should do a better job not triggering the ASBL on low brightness scenes though. It should only trigger on high brightness images.

I'm still considering this deal for the 48" C1:
https://www.buydig.com/shop/product/LGOLED48C1PUB/LG-OLED48C1PUB-48-Inch-4K-Smart-OLED-TV-2021-Model
$1377ish with tax here, but comes with 4 year warranty that INCLUDES burn in, $120 visa gift cards, a few % cash back from reward sites/credit card, etc.
But all this talk about ASBL has me pretty worried. 90% of the movies I watch are horror films and obviously can have plenty of dark scenes. I know ASBL can be disabled, but potentially(?) throwing that great warranty out the window is...... sigh. I just dunno.
I would disable it again before making a warranty claim, if anything happens to the display.
850 hours in, using a 48C1 as a monitor with the ASBL disabled, I have no issues so far. But I do generally keep the panel at 100 nits or less, in SDR.

Of course, anything you do is at your own risk.
I can't know if you will have issues after disabling the ASBL, but I think it was worth doing - and I'm glad that it is an option on LG, unlike other brands (even if you need a service remote).

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, a service remote is less than $10 on Amazon.
I think LG should do a better job not triggering the ASBL on low brightness scenes though. It should only trigger on high brightness images.

I would disable it again before making a warranty claim, if anything happens to the display.
850 hours in, using a 48C1 as a monitor with the ASBL disabled, I have no issues so far. But I do generally keep the panel at 100 nits or less, in SDR.

Of course, anything you do is at your own risk.
I can't know if you will have issues after disabling the ASBL, but I think it was worth doing - and I'm glad that it is an option on LG, unlike other brands (even if you need a service remote).

Thanks for the reply! Hmm.. I'm honestly not too concerned about turning off ASBL and it fucking up the TV eventually, I'm just more concerned about the warranty issue. I've read that techs would be able to see if you've accessed the service menu before. *Probably* would be alright... I think? But it is a gamble..
I also doubt I'll be maxing out nits and running much in HDR as well, so that bodes well for me :)

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
I played around so much with the HDR sliders on Crysis 2 and going back and forth between SDR and HDR that my game is now bugged. Now the hdr sliders are unresponsive even after multiple game restarts and console restarts lol

requested a refund from MS. Hope they come thru. This game is too buggy at its current state

Last edited:

Woodlandstar

Oct 13, 2021
Ok, I further tested Dolby Vision games on my Xbox Series X and B7 (and possibly B8/C8) and I can confirm that DV Game preset tone mapping target is 10.000 nits Max HDR Luminance there, while Paper White or White Point target should be around 200 nits.

Max HDR Luminance should be around 1.200 nits on C9/CX/C1, but you can test it yourself with very useful in-game HDR Luminance sliders (0-10.000 nits) of:
  • Battlefield 1;
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (select "Game" HDR type first);
  • AC: Origins and Odyssey;
  • Forza Horizon 4 (Xbox Beta Ring only for now);
  • Gears 4 (even if you can't see the nits value, it's a 0-10.000 nits slider with 10.000 nits all the way to the right);
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (select Midpoint 0.9 first).
With very consistent results between them.

I also found that Xbox HDR Calibration app (which still triggers HDR and not DV on launch) does actually alter the in-game HDR values in some games which now automatically launch in DV, so if you also want to cover them you need to apply 10.000 nits (clicking all the way to the right in second and third screen) for 2017/2018 LG OLEDs and 1.200 nits (+14 clicks on second and third screen) for 2019/2020/2021 LG OLEDs.

Enjoy ;)

I've just got Back 4 Blood on the Series X and it's the first game I've played in Dolby Vision (is the game native In this by the way? Seems to start in it whether Auto-HDR is on or not?). Anyway, if I put the in-game hdr max luminance value up to max (2000nits) it looks absolutely dreadful, lights are really overblown, eveything looks oversaturated and it's no longer possible to read words on signs etc in the game if lights are shining on them. Game seems to look much better at 800nits (and with a bit of tinkering with the contrast to give darker shadows). Is this because of Dolby Vision?

Just for some context: I have the tv/Xbox HDR calibrated as suggested in the first post, and my tv is an LG B8.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I've just got Back 4 Blood on the Series X and it's the first game I've played in Dolby Vision (is the game native In this by the way? Seems to start in it whether Auto-HDR is on or not?). Anyway, if I put the in-game hdr max luminance value up to max (2000nits) it looks absolutely dreadful, lights are really overblown, eveything looks oversaturated and it's no longer possible to read words on signs etc in the game if lights are shining on them. Game seems to look much better at 800nits (and with a bit of tinkering with the contrast to give darker shadows). Is this because of Dolby Vision?

Just for some context: I have the tv/Xbox HDR calibrated as suggested in the first post, and my tv is an LG B8.
I guess C8 needs to be the same as C9/CX/C1 in DV then.

Try 1.200 nits instead.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hi all, just got a C1 and planning to follow the recommendations here.

at a high level, does the C1 adjust differently from the B7? For the B7 I needed to adjust every input and display type individually. Is the same still true with the C1?

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City

at a high level, does the C1 adjust differently from the B7? For the B7 I needed to adjust every input and display type individually. Is the same still true with the C1?

You should adjust every video mode you will use. For example, HDR Game Optimizer, Dolby Vision Cinema, ISF Dark, etc. You can then use these settings across all HDMI inputs or apps by selecting "Apply to All Inputs".

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

You can use the "Apply Settings for All Inputs" button to speed up the config of that specific preset for all inputs (e.g. webOS, HDMI1, HDMI2, PC Mode etc.) but keep in mind that only the "General Settings" will be copied in all inputs, not the "Advanced" ones.

So my advice is still to double check manually each preset/input/signal combo as per the suggested settings in the OP for your TV (for C1 see the overall chart, not the docs). It may be a pain in the ass at first, but you need to do it just one time and then forget it (the TV will always switch between all your calibrated presets automatically).

Bar Mitzvah

Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The automatic dimming during dark scenes is starting to drive me nuts during shows like Hill House and other horror content, especially considering that's the main reason that I bought an OLED (awesome black levels). I've googled ASBL like crazy and there just doesn't seem to be a good solution. Is there some setting that I'm missing??

Oct 28, 2017

No it's off in regular HDR too on PC. I settled at around 1000 nits on my C1 too, and boosted the contrast sightly to 5 or 10. Also had to turn the brightness way down. It's a weird HDR setup.