• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
[UP-TO-DATE] Best LG OLEDs + Consoles/PC + HDR Games' Settings

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
LG-G3-oled-2023.png

Hello everyone,

I would like to share my FINAL set of Optimized Settings for all LG OLEDs from 2017 to 2024 Series for both SDR / HDR / DOLBY VISION Movies & TV Shows + Xbox One/Series X|S , PC, PS4/PS5 and Switch gaming with the best PQ and lowest Input-Lag results possible (from 4ms to 21ms based on model).

These settings are the results of 7+ years of gathering professional calibration results (using external equipment and software), valuable online knowledge from the most reliable sources and direct testing & analysis.

Yeah, I know, "settings cannot be copy/pasted from TV to TV as they're all different" , but tested LG OLED variance between models is much lower then average, and even within a 3% variance you will still experience a much more accurate image compared to default presets, plus CMS and WB advanced options weren't touched in order to avoid variance error as much as possible.

There are 6 Profiles to independently 1-time-Setup for each source/content combination, and then forget about it.

In order to do it, just change the video source to the one you want to calibrate (for example: webOS Netflix app, or to HDMI1 connected to Xbox Series X / PS5) and then load up the type of video content you want to calibrate (for example: launch an SDR Game, or an HDR Game, or a Dolby Vision movie).

Once you're ready, apply the Optimized Settings specifically for your LG OLED Series (see the sections below to identify your TV settings).

Optimized Settings for LG 2023-2024 OLED Series:

View: https://youtu.be/p7BBkRI29X4

ADPJQmR.png

Click for Full Screen.
More information and reasoning about the settings here.

You can also unlock ALL settings and apply further tweaks by using the ColorControl app (on Windows). Read more

Optimized Settings for LG 2019 up to 2022 OLED Series:

If you have a 2019-2022 LG OLED apply the following changes first, then proceed with the updated Overall Settings Chart below:
  • Use "Game Console" Icon for game consoles and mixed usage scenario (Games + Movies & Media);
  • You can change the HDMI icon going into "TV Home Dashboard" and then "All Inputs" section;
  • Use "Original" aspect ratio for all sources except for gaming ones: for those use the "16:9" aspect ratio in order to fix potential input lag bugs.

6c07NZP.png

Click for Full Screen.

You can also unlock ALL settings and apply further tweaks by using the ColorControl app (on Windows). Read more

Optimized Settings for LG 2018 OLED Series only:

Use the same settings of 2017 series below, then apply the following changes:
  • SDR Game and SDR ISF Dark presets: bring back Tint to 0;
  • Disable Dynamic Contrast everywhere;
  • HDR Cinema Home: be sure Dynamic Contrast is OFF; set Dynamic Tone Mapping: ON;
  • HDR Game: set Color value back from 65 to 55; be sure Dynamic Contrast is OFF; set Dynamic Tone Mapping: ON;
  • Dolby Vision: change OLED Light value from 50 to 100.

Optimized Settings for LG 2017 OLED Series only:
  • Unlock ALL settings by using the ColorControl app (on Windows). Read more
  • Then follow this video guide:

NOTE: Don't forget to adjust HDR "Sliders" also in game settings if available. Usually, for these TVs, you need to "increase" the level of Max HDR Brightness "Slider" to make the game logo/icon totally disappear in a white background, or set it to a numerical number around 4.000 nits (for Dynamic Contrast or Dynamic Tone Mapping: On) or 800 nits for HGIG (1.000 nits for LG G2/C4; 1.500 nits for LG G3/G4).

Dolby Vision gaming is not recommended. Click here to know more.

Paper White could be set around 200 nits in all cases (276 nits for LG G3/G4 only)

This is the reason why, even with both the console and the TVs properly calibrated, some games may look "dark" or "washed out" if these settings are left to default.

[4K/HDR] Optimized Gameplay
(YouTube Playlist)

Here you will find Very High Quality (among the best seen on YT), Direct-feed gameplay recordings in Native 4K, 60fps, color-accurate and Calibrated HDR after applying all my PC Gaming Optimizations to my new PC (Full Specs and Setup in each video description)

For this reason, I highly recommend to see them from a true HDR display!

YouTube will still decently tone map them to SDR automatically if you can't.

I will periodically add new gameplay recordings for select games over time, so if you like them please support my work by leaving a Like & Subscribe on the YouTube channel and on Patreon!

NOTE:
In order to preserve the highest and smoothest quality of the recordings, the actual performance you see is around 5-10% slower than normal. Just consider that as a reference if you want to compare it with similar setups.

FAQ & Useful Insights:

OPTIMIZED IN-GAME HDR SETTINGS:

You can also find the latest, personally curated Optimized Settings for 200+ HDR games by following/supporting me on my Patreon, including:

Let me know what you think.

Hope you enjoy it :)

Cheers,
-P

Last edited:

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
My family has one of these I play on occasionly.... thanks for sharing! Bookmarked for the time being.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Thank you for this. Can I ask why you would select 12 bit color in the Xbox One X settings when it's a 10 bit panel? Also I thought the dynamic contrast being on was a no no for gaming as it can crush blacks. I do however understand it being on to give the illusion of making hdr brighter in game mode. One last thing... I've tried a variation of settings including dynamic contrast settings and even with it on there are games where I just can't make the "image disappear" even with the slider the whole way up. Forza 7, and the newest Tomb Raider for example. Is this just a result of the max nits for these sets being rather low? I have a B7a btw. Appreciate the very detailed post. Thanks for your time in doing this. I'll give it a shot however I've been pretty happy with the rtings settings thus far. Who knows.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you set OLED light to 70 in webOS HDR and Dolby Vision? HDR should always be 100 and DV 50, should they not?

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Glad to see I was already pretty much there! I had put together information I read between Rtings and Digital Foundry's 2016 LG calibration video to basically come to similar (if not just slightly different) conclusions!

This is a very nice and concise guide to achieve the same thing.

Personally, I'm at Dynamic Contrast on medium, though the post from FairFight above has me a bit concerned. I'm NOT a professional calibrator (and in fact this is the first proper TV I've owned in just over a decade) but even with the least amount of lighting possible in my living room, the picture in HDR Game Mode tends to be just a tad too dim without it, and in-game sliders don't seem to provide enough luminance or correction to make it suitable to my preferences (ESPECIALLY in contrast to the way films look). I really hope it's not crushing blacks, and as far as I can tell, that's not happening... :(

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
In addition to the Xbox One X, I also have a PS4 Pro hooked up to my B7. Will this also be great for the PS4 Pro HDR content?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
:
Thank you for this. Can I ask why you would select 12 bit color in the Xbox One X settings when it's a 10 bit panel? Also I thought the dynamic contrast being on was a no no for gaming as it can crush blacks. I do however understand it being on to give the illusion of making hdr brighter in game mode. One last thing... I've tried a variation of settings including dynamic contrast settings and even with it on there are games where I just can't make the "image disappear" even with the slider the whole way up. Forza 7, and the newest Tomb Raider for example. Is this just a result of the max nits for these sets being rather low? I have a B7a btw. Appreciate the very detailed post. Thanks for your time in doing this. I'll give it a shot however I've been pretty happy with the rtings settings thus far. Who knows.
Selecting 12-bit on Xbox it only enables the possibility to output them. HDR games will still output @10-bits , but now Xbox supports native Dolby Vision with Netflix app (for now), and DV sources are all native 12-bit (same as webOS in-built Netflix app). Those OLEDS (as basically all TVs on the market) are 10-bit panel, but being certified for Dolby Vision as LG OLEDs 2017/2018 means those 12-bit sources are still downsampled in an optimized way by the TV.

For DC set to Low in HDR Game mode I found the slight more "punch" better than default and without noticing any crushed black. I also leave it that way because I still hope that LG will implement Active HDR also for Game Mode via firmware update, someday… :)

Regarding in-game HDR Sliders, I was able to make the Forza Horizon 4 logo disappear completely around 3.500 nits with this calibration (also with DC set to Low), but you're correct: games behave differently, as Halo: MCC is perfectly fine @ 1.000 nits, AC: Origins @ 3.000 nits and Forza 7 could never fully hide the logo. I think the reason is how ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) of these TVs handles peak light conditions, that could vary between game HDR calibrations menus. For now, I would trust Forza Horizon 4. ;)

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Do not ever select 10 or 12bit manually in the Xbox settings, you'll never be running SDR games at full RGB if you do that.

Just select 8bit, when an HDR game is detected, the Xbox will automatically choose 10bit anyway, I know this for a fact as I use a HD Fury Vertex, which gives me real-time video info.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Why do you set OLED light to 70 in webOS HDR and Dolby Vision? HDR should always be 100 and DV 50, should they not?
technicolor HDR OLED Light @ 100 is too bright for a Dark Room, while DV Cinema OLED Light @ 70 (together with White Balance settings) must be accompanied with the USB Custom file to look good (this will provide a less "dark" PQ even with movies mastered @ 4.000 nits and over)

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Do not ever select 10 or 12bit manually in the Xbox settings, you'll never be running SDR games at full RGB if you do that.

Just select 8bit, when an HDR game is detected, the Xbox will automatically choose 10bit anyway, I know this for a fact as I use a HD Fury Vertex, which gives me real-time video info.
Could you check something for me with your real-time video info? Do you happen to have a gaming PC? Some suggest that Windows 10 automatically changes from RGB 8bit to YUV422 10bit when an HDR game is launched. I'm very skeptical of this, and the signal doesn't seem to in Windows display information which I can view on a second monitor.

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Could you check something for me with your real-time video info? Do you happen to have a gaming PC? Some suggest that Windows 10 automatically changes from RGB 8bit to YUV422 10bit when an HDR game is launched. I'm very skeptical of this, and the signal doesn't seem to in Windows display information which I can view on a second monitor.

No it defintely doesn't, I've checked and it stays at 8bit.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Great post. I don't like the picture to be nearly that warm, I put it closer to W10 or so, but that's just how I like it.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
UBI games you can choose between hdr10 and rgb 8 bit HDR in the menu but they seem to be the only games I've seen this option.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I own an LG TV that isn't Oled and I used your Xbox one x sdr setting to match as best as I could with my settings and fuck me im actually very satisfied with what it's doing now.

You indirectly helped me with my tv thanks a bunch!!

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
technicolor HDR OLED Light @ 100 is too bright for a Dark Room, while DV Cinema OLED Light @ 70 (together with White Balance settings) must be accompanied with the USB Custom file to look good (this will provide a less "dark" PQ even with movies mastered @ 4.000 nits and over)
I copied all your settings to my technicolor setting. (Calibrated Isf dark and bright with 2 other sources, so now I can choose between 3 diffferent settings xD).
One question regarding the costom DV file: Can you reverse this? I don't want to mess with the data or future updates.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
Glad to see I was already pretty much there! I had put together information I read between Rtings and Digital Foundry's 2016 LG calibration video to basically come to similar (if not just slightly different) conclusions!

This is a very nice and concise guide to achieve the same thing.

Personally, I'm at Dynamic Contrast on medium, though the post from FairFight above has me a bit concerned. I'm NOT a professional calibrator (and in fact this is the first proper TV I've owned in just over a decade) but even with the least amount of lighting possible in my living room, the picture in HDR Game Mode tends to be just a tad too dim without it, and in-game sliders don't seem to provide enough luminance or correction to make it suitable to my preferences (ESPECIALLY in contrast to the way films look). I really hope it's not crushing blacks, and as far as I can tell, that's not happening... :(
I have an lg c8 and I have dynamic contrast set to high. I just like the way it makes things pop more. Also curious if this has a negative affect on my picture. It looks nice to me at least.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a C8, but will still take a look at a few things here and try them on my OLED.

Thank you for sharing your settings OP.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
You have a lot of 20 point CMS adjustments. That generally wasn't needed on 7 series or even 8 series. The only downside I see to it though for your SDR settings is that with so many adjustments to Green is that you are locking people into 2.2 gamma. Also with OLED light at 49 and 2.2 gamma what are you targeting? like 65fL? Day mode only it seems. For DV doesn't matter much since it is based off a 2.2 target initially anyways. Still a lot of adjustments. When I have done DV using a Videoforge Pro and made excessive adjustments to DV the charts looks great but when checking against reference material it was off on various scenes. I found that making heavy adjustments that are meaningful to influence the charts to look right do more harm then good. I haven't touched a 7 series in almost a year so maybe I'm mistaken

Also just curious what pattern, pattern size and APL did you use for your calibrations? Also why Technicolor as opposed to ISF modes?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Do you have similar recommended settings for video content that isn't Dolby Vision (like 4K movies)?

I keep getting back-and-forth comments on whether to use ISF Brightness or ISF Dark. I'm on a C8 by the way.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Do you have similar recommended settings for video content that isn't Dolby Vision (like 4K movies)?

I keep getting back-and-forth comments on whether to use ISF Brightness or ISF Dark. I'm on a C8 by the way.
You can use the 2017 settings above (Technicolor Expert for SDR and Technicolor Cinema for HDR) as a baseline for 2018 models (except White Balance and Color Management System, to be left alone at their defaults there), then adjust if you need to.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Color Temperature: W45? Ehhhhhh.

That aside, I've had instances where I feel that dark scenes on my TV (like at night time or a cave or whatever) are darker than they should be, while daytime/bright areas are just fine.

Do you know what picture settings tend to determine that, besides RGB Low/High (which I do have set correctly)?

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
Thanks for posting. Pretty close to the settings I use currently, will see how these tweaks make a difference.

Out of interest how bright is the room you use the TV in? Is there any natural light/windows?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Color Temperature: W45? Ehhhhhh.

That aside, I've had instances where I feel that dark scenes on my TV (like at night time or a cave or whatever) are darker than they should be, while daytime/bright areas are just fine.

Do you know what picture settings tend to determine that, besides RGB Low/High (which I do have set correctly)?

HDR10/DV content is very dark, add that to a display that will accurately display no light when told to and you have a recipe for a very dark picture.

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
Should YUV422 not be unchecked? It says only use if your tv struggles with HDR. As these TV's don't struggle why would you use it?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
These settings are great, been using your settings since i got my TV in February after finding them on Reddit.

Only differences i see is that you now suggest Dynamic Contrast Low instead of Medium which you did before. Any special reason for this? There is a pretty major difference and i feel Medium is needed to compensate for the slightly dimmer Game mode in HDR.
Also Color Gamut might be a personal preference thing, some games pop a lot more with Wide which some people might prefer. Personally i used Wide for a few months, but realized it wasn't 100% what the developers intended color wise.

Can greatly recommend these settings for anyone with the 7 series OLEDS, and they're probably a great starter point for the 6/8 series too.

Should YUV422 not be unchecked? It says only use if your tv struggles with HDR. As these TV's don't struggle why would you use it?
Also a good question. Personally i see no differences between allowing this and not allowing it. I know that PS4 selects YUV422 when set to Auto or RGB when playing HDR games though, so it should be fine.

YCC422/YUV422 should be the same thing, no?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I copied all your settings to my technicolor setting. (Calibrated Isf dark and bright with 2 other sources, so now I can choose between 3 diffferent settings xD).
One question regarding the costom DV file: Can you reverse this? I don't want to mess with the data or future updates.
Yes, the custom DV file is only a DV profile configurator, it's no hack. You can easily restore the DV Profile to its default settings with a button, or after a TV factory restore. No issues with future FW upgrades.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thanks for posting. Pretty close to the settings I use currently, will see how these tweaks make a difference.

Out of interest how bright is the room you use the TV in? Is there any natural light/windows?
I usually play content in a dark room (not pitch black, external street lights outside or from other rooms).

These settings are best in a dark room anyway, but can also be good on mildly bright environment.

Brutal Deluxe

Oct 29, 2017
These settings are great, been using your settings since i got my TV in February after finding them on Reddit.

Only differences i see is that you now suggest Dynamic Contrast Low instead of Medium which you did before. Any special reason for this? There is a pretty major difference and i feel Medium is needed to compensate for the slightly dimmer Game mode in HDR.
Also Color Gamut might be a personal preference thing, some games pop a lot more with Wide which some people might prefer. Personally i used Wide for a few months, but realized it wasn't 100% what the developers intended color wise.

Can greatly recommend these settings for anyone with the 7 series OLEDS, and they're probably a great starter point for the 6/8 series too.

Also a good question. Personally i see no differences between allowing this and not allowing it. I know that PS4 selects YUV422 when set to Auto or RGB when playing HDR games though, so it should be fine.

YCC422/YUV422 should be the same thing, no?

I used AC Origins earlier in the year flicking back and forth between checked and unchecked. It definitely looked more vibrant and less washed out unchecked. It did require a slight tweak to in game settings but I found I much preferred it.
I also believe 8bit should be selected as it will auto change up to 10bit when HDR signal detected but won't auto change down with SDR content.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
The default sharpness of 20 isn't actually no sharpening filter. 10 completely disables the sharpening filter on these TVs. At 20 you can still sometimes see halos during fast motion in games.
That actually goes the other way, and introduces blurriness into the image. 10 turns off sharpness without turning on a softening filter.
You're gonna have to post some receipts for that.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, will check it out and see did it improve PQ for me. Wish you had a Pro lol

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I used AC Origins earlier in the year flicking back and forth between checked and unchecked. It definitely looked more vibrant and less washed out unchecked. It did require a slight tweak to in game settings but I found I much preferred it.
I also believe 8bit should be selected as it will auto change up to 10bit when HDR signal detected but won't auto change down with SDR content.
This is interesting. I've been going back and forth with this option and i've seen people claiming the opposite (though that was with a different TV). Can anyone else confirm this? I can't really say i feel anything is washed out while Allowing YCC422, but haven't really switched back and forth to test.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Subbing so I remember to do this when I'm more alert. Thanks for putting this effort in. B7/1X owner here