• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Currently playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider on X1X + LG B7, therefore my suggested in-game video settings (when using the latest X1X HDR profile in the OP) are:
  • Video Mode: Resolution (for Native 4K output)
  • HDR: On
  • Brightness: Default
  • HDR Luminance: slider all the way to the right/Max (you will still see the Mayan logo as it won't fully fade in white highlight, this probably because the game was mastered at 2.000 nits max as BF5, but it will still look incredible in HDR)
I really like how HDR was implemented, and I think it's probably the best entry of the new TR series so far.
Also compared it to calibrated HDR Technicolor profile (with Active HDR), and it's 99% the same if not better.

Super satisfied so far :)

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Currently playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider on X1X + LG B7, therefore my suggested in-game video settings (when using the latest X1X HDR profile in the OP) are:
  • Video Mode: Resolution (for Native 4K output)
  • HDR: On
  • Brightness: Default
  • HDR Luminance: slider all the way to the right/Max (you will still see the Mayan logo as it won't fully fade in white highlight, this probably because the game was mastered at 2.000 nits max as BF5, but it will still look incredible in HDR)
I really like how HDR was implemented, and I think it's probably the best entry of the new TR series so far.
Also compared it to calibrated HDR Technicolor profile (with Active HDR), and it's 99% the same if not better.

Super satisfied so far :)

Is the HDR as good as AC Origins/Odyssey?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Is the HDR as good as AC Origins/Odyssey?
AC Origins/Odyssey are probably a bit better as they're mastered for higher nits, and also have more HDR options, but SotTR has also an excellent implementation.

Highlights are everywhere and pronounced, and real-time cutscenes are incredible. It's one of the very few games where real-time rendering feels like an Hollywood CGI movie or even real-life in many occasion (e.g. Naughty Dog tier, if not better).

Very impressed so far (I'm in the middle of the game).

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
AC Origins/Odyssey are probably a bit better as they're mastered for higher nits, and also have more HDR options, but SotTR has also an excellent implementation.

Highlights are everywhere and pronounced, and real-time cutscenes are incredible. It's one of the very few games where real-time rendering feels like an Hollywood CGI movie or even real-life in many occasion (e.g. Naughty Dog tier, if not better).

Very impressed so far (I'm in the middle of the game).

Yes, finished Shadow and now I'm into Oddysey. Both are HDR showcases. They look incredible.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Forgive me if I've asked this before and forgotten, but I'm still getting my head around the RGB Limited vs Full.
Now I realise for PS4 and Xbox One it should be set to limited, as current HDMI standards don't have the bandwidth for a Full RGB 4K HDR signal, but what about Nintendo Switch? Since that isn't outputting any 4K or HDR content, should RGB for that be set to Full? Or Limited?

One other query I had related to the WebOS HDR calibration settings. I'm also using those for 4K Blu-Ray viewing as I believe those are the settings that I should be using, but I've run into a difference that might be down to the 2017 vs 2018 LG models.
Under Picture Options it specifies that Black Level should be set to Auto, however on my LG C8 there is no Auto option for that, only High or Low and the option wasn't being forced. I've got it set to High at the moment which seemed to give me a slightly move vivid picture than Low.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Forgive me if I've asked this before and forgotten, but I'm still getting my head around the RGB Limited vs Full.
Now I realise for PS4 and Xbox One it should be set to limited, as current HDMI standards don't have the bandwidth for a Full RGB 4K HDR signal, but what about Nintendo Switch? Since that isn't outputting any 4K or HDR content, should RGB for that be set to Full? Or Limited?

One other query I had related to the WebOS HDR calibration settings. I'm also using those for 4K Blu-Ray viewing as I believe those are the settings that I should be using, but I've run into a difference that might be down to the 2017 vs 2018 LG models.
Under Picture Options it specifies that Black Level should be set to Auto, however on my LG C8 there is no Auto option for that, only High or Low and the option wasn't being forced. I've got it set to High at the moment which seemed to give me a slightly move vivid picture than Low.
If you're using the Switch with another HDMI port and considering it doesn't do HDR/DV at all, you can even disable "HDMI DeepColor" option from TV General Settings for that HDMI Port and, yes, you can use Full RGB on the Switch video settings and Black Level: High on the TV, while using the same suggested settings for X1X SDR profile in the OP for the TV.

If you can choose between High and Low Black Level, always use Low except selecting High in the case above where you can't do HDR, and you're using a device set to Full RGB.

NEVER mismatch color space and black level (e.g. Standard Color Space + High Black Level or Full RGB + Low Black Level).

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
If you're using the Switch with another HDMI port and considering it doesn't do HDR/DV at all, you can even disable "HDMI DeepColor" option from TV General Settings for that HDMI Port and, yes, you can use Full RGB on the Switch video settings and Black Level: High on the TV, while using the same suggested settings for X1X SDR profile in the OP for the TV.

If you can choose between High and Low Black Level, always use Low except selecting High in the case above where you can't do HDR, and you're using a device set to Full RGB.

NEVER mismatch color space and black level (e.g. Standard Color Space + High Black Level or Full RGB + Low Black Level).
Ahh right, got it. I think.
The Switch is connected to the same surround sound system as the Xbox One, so from the TV perspective they're on the same HDMI port, but they're on separate ports on the AV unit.

So it sounds like I'd probably be best setting the Black level to Low on the HDR techincolor profile and my Switch to RGB limited, using the X1X SDR profile for games.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Ahh right, got it. I think.
The Switch is connected to the same surround sound system as the Xbox One, so from the TV perspective they're on the same HDMI port, but they're on separate ports on the AV unit.

So it sounds like I'd probably be best setting the Black level to Low on the HDR techincolor profile and my Switch to RGB limited, using the X1X SDR profile for games.
In your and 99% of cases (except real connected PC/Laptop usage) always use Standard Color Space + Black Level: Low combo with regular TVs + consoles/AV-devices.

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Just completed ROTTR and it was very good. Thought it looked best in its native 4k mode rather than enhanced. Ran very smooth for the most part and HDR was good at times, especially in some of the dark fire scenes. So now about to start with Shadow of The TR, but unfortunately I am in the process of returning my OLED due to the banding issue (which I think is bad, as can be seen on solid colors and skies etc and is dead center). For next few days I'm going to use a freesync monitor. It'll be interesting to test out the VRR function across a couple of titles which may benefit from the less than 60fps freesync.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Whilst watching Infinity War 4K with HDR was amazing, but holy shit the wasted screen real estate is a disgrace. Film makers need to switch to 16:9, the current resolution is such a nonsensical shambles when a huge portion of viewing is going to be on home screens which are probably 90%+ 16:9 displays.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
i still find some very strong neon colors... also its me or game mode its a bit more dark than ISF or technicolor even with the same settings?
Only pure red will be a bit more neon, otherwise the rest will be basically identical color wise.
Regarding luminance/brightness, yes, SDR Game is dimmer compared to SDR Technicolor, that's why OLED Light at 80 is default and also recommended for SDR Game.

HDR Game is different, as it's identical to HDR Technicolor without Active HDR, even brightness wise.
But to reach Active HDR Luminance curve (and be even better at time) you can only do it enabling High Dynamic Contrast in HDR Game, then offset its negative effects slightly increasing Brightness and using Wide color Gamut instead of Auto.

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Whilst watching Infinity War 4K with HDR was amazing, but holy shit the wasted screen real estate is a disgrace. Film makers need to switch to 16:9, the current resolution is such a nonsensical shambles when a huge portion of viewing is going to be on home screens which are probably 90%+ 16:9 displays.
And start filming at 60fps. Have you seen the Billy Lynn 4k Blu Ray at 60fps?

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Only pure red will be a bit more neon, otherwise the rest will be basically identical color wise.
Regarding luminance/brightness, yes, SDR Game is dimmer compared to SDR Technicolor, that's why OLED Light at 80 is default and also recommended for SDR Game.

HDR Game is different, as it's identical to HDR Technicolor without Active HDR, even brightness wise.
But to reach Active HDR Luminance curve (and be even better at time) you can only do it enabling High Dynamic Contrast in HDR Game, then offset its negative effects slightly increasing Brightness and using Wide color Gamut instead of Auto.
I'm still having trouble adjusting to the HDR Game settings in the OP. It seems like true blacks are affected too, especially in darker areas. I'm playing AC Odyssey now and in the tombs the area just looks too grey-ish and not pitch black like I have in my HDR Standard settings. I think the High Dynamic Contrast has a negative impact on the true blacks, which is something I hate especially with an OLED panel. I need my blacks to be pitch black, not grey-ish.

I noticed this on PS4 Pro too by the way. I'm using the exact same settings as listed in the OP.

Problem with HDR Standard is that it can be too bright at times like in AC Odyssey in daylight. I had to adjust my paper white to about 130-150 to make it look natural. Is the suggested 300 paper white for Origins also valid for Odyssey? I had no such problems with Origins being to bright iirc, but I don't have it installed anymore so I can't remember my paper white settings.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I'm still having trouble adjusting to the HDR Game settings in the OP. It seems like true blacks are affected too, especially in darker areas. I'm playing AC Odyssey now and in the tombs the area just looks too grey-ish and not pitch black like I have in my HDR Standard settings. I think the High Dynamic Contrast has a negative impact on the true blacks, which is something I hate especially with an OLED panel. I need my blacks to be pitch black, not grey-ish.

I noticed this on PS4 Pro too by the way. I'm using the exact same settings as listed in the OP.

Problem with HDR Standard is that it can be too bright at times like in AC Odyssey in daylight. I had to adjust my paper white to about 130-150 to make it look natural. Is the suggested 300 paper white for Origins also valid for Odyssey? I had no such problems with Origins being to bright iirc, but I don't have it installed anymore so I can't remember my paper white settings.
True blacks should not be affected with these settings when using correctly mastered Movies/Blu-rays and games.
If you find blacks "grayish", double check that everything is dialed in correctly or just try to lower standard brightness or gamma in game video settings.

Regarding paper white, I would always trust the games default. Just change HDR Luminance in-game to correctly hide logos etc

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

170 Paperwhite is what i used, with this as reference: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...ings-in-assassins-creed-odyssey/#67130fdb799c

Increase Luminance to the point where you don't see any difference when increasing it further (which was 1000 on my C7). Increasing it further has no benefit. I also lowered the general brightness by 1 point to the left.
I use Medium Dynamic Contrast though, and Auto Color Gamut. Basically one of the earlier calibration settings from the OP which is now gone from the first post.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Lol. So now if anything was shot at a higher frame rate, it's a derogatory mobile phone, though I get my dark ages comment warranted it.

Ok how about they shoot at 240 FPS and new TV's have a locked 24fps mode? Could you also please tell me what cinema native 60fps content you have actually seen too to base your view on? It is not the same as using motion handling techniques.

Dont get me wrong, if content is shot at 24fps, I love it in 24fps. Also gaming wise I can enjoy 30fps, 60fps and 120fps if you adjust to it. However i just dont get why you would not enjoy content mastered in higher frame rates, which you could then lock down if you so desired. NATIVE content at higher frame rates can look excellent. Yet I would never use tru motion above 2...

Apologies for derailing thread btw... its just sometimes I wonder how many people have actually seen a native 4k blu ray like Billy Lynn and not stopped to think about better motion options. For me it looked stunning and not like a normal "soap opera" effect.

Last edited:

PRBoricua23

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
Just found this thread (which is awesome, btw) and I see that you have the Xbox set to 8-bit instead of 10. That's not a mistake, we're using 8 bit for a reason? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I haven't had a chance to read through the thread yet.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
What should I have the paper white nit value set to in Rocket League? Always frustrating when games don't have an image to calibrate with

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
Just found this thread (which is awesome, btw) and I see that you have the Xbox set to 8-bit instead of 10. That's not a mistake, we're using 8 bit for a reason? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I haven't had a chance to read through the thread yet.
You'll end up with crushed blacks on 8 bit stuff if you set it higher and besides the Xbox will switch if it detects 10 or 12 bit content anyway.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
What should I have the paper white nit value set to in Rocket League? Always frustrating when games don't have an image to calibrate with
When you don't know what value to choose with Paper White, leave it at default for the game (usually should be around 150 or 200).
While for HDR Luminance, always try to increase it in game to the point where logos fades completely in background or put it to a numerical value around 4.000 nits (that's the target of the current HDR Game Mode tone mapping)

Apr 21, 2018
New #11,541
I'm quite surprised by the amount of banding that disappears when using any non-PC mode, will it have something to do with colors?

also call me crazy but I'm noticing much better response on the command using game mode (non-PC) than in PC mode with the ISF: OOOOO

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
I completed Shadow of the tomb raider with your newest pic settings and I'm very impressed by my C7 and how the picture looks like.
The graphics in this game was really great as well. Anyone noticed the water scenes how Laura's hair looks super natural? The Lara Croft is one of my favourite series anyway. Hope there will be more when the next gen consoles arrives in 2-3 years 🙂

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
P40L0 Hi mate, I've tried using your settings for a few weeks on my 2017 B7 and over the entire time i became super aware of the horrible motion handling when people were moving (not just during slow panning shots).

I guess i must have had some TruMotion settings active previously, but i don't recall.

I've since went back and active

TruMotion: ON (De-Judder: 2 ; De-Blur: 0) but even which seems to help a lot, but i am seeing some slight "soap opera" effect, but i can live with this because i really can't deal with the motion blur. Just wanted to bring it up in case there is anything else you would recommend ?

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
P40L0 Hi mate, I've tried using your settings for a few weeks on my 2017 B7 and over the entire time i became super aware of the horrible motion handling when people were moving (not just during slow panning shots).

I guess i must have had some TruMotion settings active previously, but i don't recall.

TruMotion: ON (De-Judder: 2 ; De-Blur: 0) but even which seems to help a lot, but i am seeing some slight "soap opera" effect, but i can live with this because i really can't deal with the motion blur. Just wanted to bring it up in case there is anything else you would recommend ?

Both TruMotion values should be set at 0.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

Motion became a little worse after firmware 5.xx, but it can be fixed without soap opera effect setting both TruMotion De-Judder and De-Blur values to 0.

This for all picture modes except SDR/HDR Game modes, where TruMotion is disabled but they're already optimized for motion on their own, and are not affected by the newest firmware.
Motion is still very good without any judder at all there.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Motion became a little worse after firmware 5.xx, but it can be fixed without soap opera effect setting both TruMotion De-Judder and De-Blur values to 0.

This for all picture modes except SDR/HDR Game modes, where TruMotion is disabled but they're already optimized for motion on their own, and are not affected by the newest firmware.

I have noticed that when playing games i do not noticed this issue at all.

I had initially set TruMotion: ON (De-Judder: 0 ; De-Blur: 10) , but still noticed a decent amount of motion issues. I'll try with 0,0 and report back. Thanks so much :)

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Are the new 2019 LG OLED software features coming to 2017, 2018 models?

I'm talking about being able to change SDR game mode and controlling input peak brightness. These seem like something that could be patched for older models.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

I'm talking about being able to change SDR game mode and controlling input peak brightness. These seem like something that could be patched for older models.
I highly doubt that.
They didn't bring Dynamic Tone Mapping for 2017 HDR Game mode (where they could, as B7 and B8 have almost identical processors), so they probably won't bring important features of 2019 sets to old models either.

That said, they did fix dim HDR Game on B6 models (by bringing back the old one based on HDR Standard), but that was more like a roll-back of a previous update instead of a new feature added.

I wouldn't put my hopes high for that.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden

From my own experience LG is very poor in updating their previously models. Their support feels like only 6-12 months after their newest models have released on the markets. And that's it.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017

I tested the on 0,0 settings yesterday, and im afraid to say i still think the motion handeling is too poor for me to deal with. Especially during panning shots. There is judder for sure. All my other settings are the same as your page 1 docs. Am i missing something?

i've changed it back to on 2,0 for now, which does seem to help a bit.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I tested the on 0,0 settings yesterday, and im afraid to say i still think the motion handeling is too poor for me to deal with. Especially during panning shots. There is judder for sure. All my other settings are the same as your page 1 docs. Am i missing something?

Motion seems same as before firmare v5 with both values set to 0,0
You can still try increasing them to max 3,3 but I wouldn't go higher or soap opera effect will be super noticeable (and bad).

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
LG B7 owner here. Which white balance settings can I change to make the whites a little bit less red?
There is no tint on my panel, but the white balance is a little bit on the reddish side (most people wouldn't even notice).

Oct 28, 2017

Try 3, 10 for movies & media

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Does the deblur actually do anything? I've tried it on 0 & 10 and tbh not really noticed any difference?
You should notice a difference (less "ghosting" trails after movements) on 60hz media only, as Netflix app, but those are not present even setting it to 0.
The more you increase it the more artefacts (as shimmering) you will introduce to the picture.

Deleted member 50735

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Thanks, I'll turn it off then.

Got my panel back yesterday with a new screen and all my uniformity issues are gone. Which is great especially as the TV is 18 months old. Not so good that it needed replacing in the first place though.

OverHeatQc

Nov 5, 2018
Guys I received my HDfury Vertex this week and seriously it's the only way to get an accurate bright picture. I'm more then pleased and cannot recommand it enough screw dynamic contrast!

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Guys I received my HDfury Vertex this week and seriously it's the only way to get an accurate bright picture. I'm more then pleased and cannot recommand it enough screw dynamic contrast!
Good to read, but I'm already pretty happy with latest X1X HDR settings. They're almost identical to calibrated HDR Technicolor accuracy and with the same Active HDR luminance if not brighter in many occasions. Dynamic Contrast does also add a little bit more "punch" to the image (as darker darks and "white noise" removal from the image) without drifting away from accuracy too much.

Currently I feel no need of buying expensive peripherals or even the urge of upgrading to 2018/2019 models, as the benefits would be so small to not be worth the hassle and/or money.
That said, if LG will just backport HDR Game Dynamic Tone mapping feature only for 2017 models, that would be appreciated. Otherwise, no matter so much now.