• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
i was like..........why do these settings look so damn familiar with a little bit of a twist

Sure enough, been following P40L0 and his reddit post since the launch of the X. Thanks mate, you saved me a headache since the launch of the X and have never had an issue with your settings

What were your paper white and luminence settings for Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey?

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Glad this thread popped up because my 2017 B7A has some very noticeable color banding in HDR especially with Sea of Thieves. I can not figure out if it's normal, SoT issue, Xbox issue or tv issue. I will provide a picture when I get home but when looking at the sky you can clearly see when shades of blue are changing. Anyone else have an issue like this?
i have the same tv,

2017 B7A Oled 4k HDR, i only ever see banding when youtube or netflix app are loading and the background of the loading screen at the start.

hmm

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Glad this thread popped up because my 2017 B7A has some very noticeable color banding in HDR especially with Sea of Thieves. I can not figure out if it's normal, SoT issue, Xbox issue or tv issue. I will provide a picture when I get home but when looking at the sky you can clearly see when shades of blue are changing. Anyone else have an issue like this?

Are you talking about gray uniformity?

i know sea of thieves is the ONLY game due to the lighting model and dark skies that I went WTF is this gray vertical lines on my screen. Found out I have banding and apparently its not even close to as bad as other folks.

The Freqa

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Does this TV suffer picture drop outs on the X1 X? My B7 is constantly losing it's picture signal with the PS4 Pro.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i have the same tv,

2017 B7A Oled 4k HDR, i only ever see banding when youtube or netflix app are loading and the background of the loading screen at the start.

hmm

This is not my personal picture, but this is a picture i found of exactly what iam noticing. The black/grey banding i understand due to the way OLEDs are

https://filestore.community.support...f2c86-db5c-4f08-b04e-07bcfddf5bab?upload=true

EDIT: I tried to add the picture and failed i put a link to it

DOTDASHDOT

Helios Abandoned. Atropos Conquered.
Oct 26, 2017
Have you ever posted your full calibration settings somewhere? I'd love to try them out.

Thing is these are really accurate ootb, hense why White balance is only needed to fine tune, honestly switching between calibrated and non calibrated on mine, is very close! Only on a full white screen can I see the slight tint I had before, but in normal content, it's pretty well the same.

If you get the basics right, colour, brightness, OLED light etc correct, on a decent preset, then it's gonna look good.

Happy to share basics, but WB is pointless.

FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Will downloading the precalibrated file and applying the white balance settings have any effect on game mode hdr for the Xbox One X or sdr for that matter or is it just for the inputs for other DV material? Thanks for the settings. I'm actually really liking them as is. If going through the steps for DV mode actually further fine tune the picture across all modes I'm all for it.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
Does this TV suffer picture drop outs on the X1 X? My B7 is constantly losing it's picture signal with the PS4 Pro.
Disable HDCP on the PS4. I was running into the same issue with my B7 and the PS4 Pro, and as soon as I disabled HDCP, I never had another problem.

I've never had a similar issue with my B7 and XB1X.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Will downloading the precalibrated file and applying the white balance settings have any effect on game mode hdr for the Xbox One X or sdr for that matter or is it just for the inputs for other DV material? Thanks for the settings. I'm actually really liking them as is. If going through the steps for DV mode actually further fine tune the picture across all modes I'm all for it.
No, the pre-calibrated file is only meant for DV Cinema preset.
It won't take effect in other modes at all.

For the other profiles use the other relative settings

The Freqa

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It used to happen to me when I first bought X1X.

I replaced the original HDMI cable with an HDMI 2.1 Certified one from Amazon.

Never happened again (with same settings).
I've bought so many, Even replaced them all with the current offical Sony HDMI from Hori and still the problem persists. It seems to be an issue with Playstations was just seeing if Xbox has the same problem. Using google it seems very minimal on the Xbox while PS4 it's epic levels.

Disable HDCP on the PS4. I was running into the same issue with my B7 and the PS4 Pro, and as soon as I disabled HDCP, I never had another problem.

I've never had a similar issue with my B7 and XB1X.

Tried that only thing that has worked for me has been setting it to Yuv420 but we dont want to be using that on these tv's. As soon as Yuv422 my TV becomes a strobelight

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I only played Sea of Thieves for about 15 minutes when it launched and I had a one-week (one-month?) Game Pass trial run. I can't remember if there was banding in that game, but my B7A definitely bands on Xbox One X when there's any uniform color displayed. I actually don't recall seeing it on my PS4 Pro ever.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, he provided me the calibrated DV file, and he has also Post-Calibration (amazing) graphs ;)

whats your HDR settings for assassins creed, I cannot seem to find them anymore. I always have issues with the paper white setting and not knowing where it should be. But i know your sample picture used Origins for your shot......so you must have the goodies lol.

Also should I set the nits to 700 in AC since the TV is like 720 i think for brightness?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
whats your HDR settings for assassins creed, I cannot seem to find them anymore. I always have issues with the paper white setting and not knowing where it should be. But i know your sample picture used Origins for your shot......so you must have the goodies lol.

Also should I set the nits to 700 in AC since the TV is like 720 i think for brightness?
I set Origins around 3.000 nits, and left paper white alone (if I recall correctly around 150?).

Also in Forza Horizon 4 I was able to make the logo totally disappear in white highlight around 3.500 nits.

Both looks amazing on my B7 in HDR Game Mode, with all the settings in the OP applied.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is these are really accurate ootb, hense why White balance is only needed to fine tune, honestly switching between calibrated and non calibrated on mine, is very close! Only on a full white screen can I see the slight tint I had before, but in normal content, it's pretty well the same.

If you get the basics right, colour, brightness, OLED light etc correct, on a decent preset, then it's gonna look good.

Happy to share basics, but WB is pointless.
Oh yeah, I'm completely cool with seeing your basics. I'm going with RTINGs for the most part right now.

Izayoi

Oct 25, 2017
Point 2. and 3. for sure with latest 2018 series firmware, but point 1. is just a physical bandwidth limitation of HDMI 2.0. Cannot be addressed by software, but only with an HDMI 2.1 Certified TV.

So I would still not use "PC Input" mode for 2018 models as 10-bit HDR is more important and impactful than 4:4:4 Chroma
Thanks man, you have been a huge help.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Origins looked a bit bland as far as the HDR at times. And at night something just seemed off.

only on the 2017 LG B7A 4k HDR...

but Odyssey on the pro looks a lot sharper and better. the lighting blooms just a lot better and better through the foliage too.

the resolution and sharpness is on point. The best it could be visually aside from being 30fps. Definitely better than Origins. for the PS4 PRO

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I set Origins around 3.000 nits, and left paper white alone (if I recall correctly around 150?).

Also in Forza Horizon 4 I was able to make the logo totally disappear in white highlight around 3.500 nits.

Both looks amazing on my B7 in HDR Game Mode, with all the settings in the OP applied.

3000 nits on the TV?

Is it because its OLED that you do that? Weird to set it so high when its max is 700 isnt it?

Not questioning since I know nothing on tv settings lol. Just wondering why the nit setting is so high

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Thanks for posting these settings, OP. Dolby Vision process looks a bit involved but whenever I see DV content I always think it looks crap so I will definitely sort that out.

Are you talking about gray uniformity?

i know sea of thieves is the ONLY game due to the lighting model and dark skies that I went WTF is this gray vertical lines on my screen. Found out I have banding and apparently its not even close to as bad as other folks.
Sea of Thieves and grey backgrounds in general make my vertical lines visible. They are imperceptible on almost all content, and it only bothers me because I want to know if it's worth a return -- don't feel like playing the panel lottery at the moment.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for posting these settings, OP. Dolby Vision process looks a bit involved but whenever I see DV content I always think it looks crap so I will definitely sort that out.

Sea of Thieves and grey backgrounds in general make my vertical lines visible. They are imperceptible on almost all content, and it only bothers me because I want to know if it's worth a return -- don't feel like playing the panel lottery at the moment.

I feel ya, I did the uniformity test and questioned whether I wanted to playthe game since my panel isnt all that bad even

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
This is not my personal picture, but this is a picture i found of exactly what iam noticing. The black/grey banding i understand due to the way OLEDs are

https://filestore.community.support...f2c86-db5c-4f08-b04e-07bcfddf5bab?upload=true

EDIT: I tried to add the picture and failed i put a link to it

Sorry, not sure if someone already responded. Are you using the PC input mode by any chance? if so, it forces 4:4:4. Unfortunately 4:4:4 + HDR is to much bandwidth for the supported HDMI specs.

Change the input mode to anything else, and it should fix the issue.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Also P40L0 I shouldnt have to move the brightness slider if my set is calibrated correct? I noticed if I do the brightness slider where you barely see the logo the image is so fricken dark I can barely read the damn text

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
OP, for HDR game mode why do you suggest Dynamic Contract at Low?

I'm playing FH4 at pretty much the same in game and TV settings (B7A) as you, and at low the game appears mute yet the darks aren't as pronounced as in DC set at High. Is there a performance issue I'm not seeing?

Anyway great topic, your settings made my Netflix Dolby pop.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
3000 nits on the TV?

Is it because its OLED that you do that? Weird to set it so high when its max is 700 isnt it?

Not questioning since I know nothing on tv settings lol. Just wondering why the nit setting is so high
Once applied the calibration both for TV and Xbox, yes, in FH4 (and AC:Origins) I had to set Max nits around 3.000 to completely hide the logo in the white highlight box, or to have best results (even is the 2017 OLEDs are 700nits TV).
This is possible due to how both HDR Game and DV Cinema preset were created to accept and adapt the curve to any type of HDR/DV mastering that could range from 1.000 to 5.000 nits mastered content.

That said, I found that every game that have its own HDR Brightness slider have the best results with different values (this is because HDR is implemented differently for each), so it's recommended to not use an "universal" value as 3.000 nits, but following the instruction of each game to properly calibrate it (for example Halo: Master Chief Collection is already super good by default @ 1.000 nits and default paper white and contrast).

Also P40L0 I shouldnt have to move the brightness slider if my set is calibrated correct? I noticed if I do the brightness slider where you barely see the logo the image is so fricken dark I can barely read the damn text

Are you still talking about FH4?
With my settings (both TV and X1X), I only had to bump HDR Brightness nits to 3.500 to completely hide the FH logo, and normal Brightness was already good (I didn't have to change it as the first logo was already "barely visible" )

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
OP, for HDR game mode why do you suggest Dynamic Contract at Low?

I'm playing FH4 at pretty much the same in game and TV settings (B7A) as you, and at low the game appears mute yet the darks aren't as pronounced as in DC set at High. Is there a performance issue I'm not seeing?

Anyway great topic, your settings made my Netflix Dolby pop.
DC at High is a bit an overkill for HDR Game, as this will skyrocket gamma and could reduce how HDR should look (making spectral highlights shine compared to lower bright details).

If DC set to Low is still dim to you (even after calibrating games also), set it to Medium but I would avoid High

Matthew

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic work, thanks.

How logical would it be to apply these settings to other devices like a UHD Player? I assume I should use the webOS settings as the settings for the Xbox X is focused on low input lag.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Fantastic work, thanks.

How logical would it be to apply these settings to other devices like a UHD Player? I assume I should use the webOS settings as the settings for the Xbox X is focused on low input lag.
Yes, if gaming and response time is not a concern, webOS settings are the best for video/movie content.

Bricky

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately "PC Input" mode is severely bugged with LG 2017 OLED series.

"PC Input" is good on paper because mantains 21ms low input lag with any SDR/HDR/DV preset, but with big downsides:
  1. It always forces Chroma Subsampling at 4:4:4, and this auto downgrade both HDR and DV from 10-bit to 8-bit, no matter how you setup all the rest. This will translate to much worse color banding, tone mapping;
  2. Rec2020 color gamut is not loaded properly in HDR/DV, and all colors look washed out
  3. All Dynamic Contrast options are greyed out, so Active HDR can never be enabled setting DC to Low while being in that Input, even using technicolor HDR preset
I would totally avoid it and stick with Standard input + Standard Color Space + 4:2:2 Chroma.
Or use "PC Input" only for real "PC" usage, for SDR/8-Bit content only (but this would just waste the 4K/HDR10 capability of the TV?)

I always assumed PC mode allowed 4:4:4, not forced it. That would explain why I never was able to get 4K60 HDR10 to show properly even when brute forcing 4:2:2 10 bit. Same for resolutions/refresh rates not limited by HDMI 2.0b bandwidth still having HDR look off if color gamuts aren't applied as they should.

While being limited to 4:2:2 is one thing you'd also have to deal with the forced wide color gamut of game mode for desktop use in SDR when disabling the PC input setting. Considering the limited amount of time most would currently spend in HDR on PC I am not sure I agree that is worth the compromises of disabling PC input (which of course also allows better calibration using non-game presets).

Perhaps temporarily disabling PC Input or even physically swapping the HDMI cable to another port could be worthwhile (if inconvenient) workarounds to get the best of both worlds? UnfortunateIy I am currently unable to test the viability of this.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I always assumed PC mode allowed 4:4:4, not forced it. That would explain why I never was able to get 4K60 HDR10 to show properly even when brute forcing 4:2:2 10 bit. Same for resolutions/refresh rates not limited by HDMI 2.0b bandwidth still having HDR look off if color gamuts aren't applied as they should.

While being limited to 4:2:2 is one thing you'd also have to deal with the forced wide color gamut of game mode for desktop use in SDR when disabling the PC input setting. Considering the limited amount of time most would currently spend in HDR on PC I am not sure I agree that is worth the compromises of disabling PC input (which of course also allows better calibration using non-game presets).

Perhaps temporarily disabling PC Input or even physically swapping the HDMI cable to another port could be worthwhile (if inconvenient) workarounds to get the best of both worlds? UnfortunateIy I am currently unable to test the viability of this.
Unfortunately it is forced, and on 2017 Series color gamuts (both Rec709 and Rec2020) are not accurate.
"Non-PC Input" SDR Game mode with forced Wide gamut with slightly lowered Color to 46 mostly counter balance the colors oversaturation, and it's still better than 2017 SDR with "PC Input".

On 2018 Series 4:4:4 is still forced, but, as you said, PC Input could still be worthwhile for SDR usage only as gamuts were fixed by LG.
HDR10 is still better on "Non-PC" tho

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Just plugged these into my B7 and I'm extremely happy with the results. The white balance changes, while subtle, make a big difference. Before when I'd enter HDR content, the white border around the "HDR" icon in the upper right would always look a bit warm to me compared to the white of the SDR content before it, but now white looks white across the board. Rewatching some of my favorite HDR movies after the changes and everything looks slightly more true-to-life than before. Great stuff, cheers!

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Are you still talking about FH4?
With my settings (both TV and X1X), I only had to bump HDR Brightness nits to 3.500 to completely hide the FH logo, and normal Brightness was already good (I didn't have to change it as the first logo was already "barely visible" )

Oh no, on this one I waa talking about the default brightness slider that you set before messing with HDR settings. To me if a set is calibrated using your settings only the HDR slider should have to be messed with and not the default ones.

But in assassins creed I have to nearly bottom out the regular brightness slider and it turns everything insanely dark. So I just left it at default since it seemed more natural. Then I adjusted the HDR settings to the 3k luminance and roughly 140 paper white.

Wasnt sure why assassins creed was asking for the picture to be so dark

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Oh no, on this one I waa talking about the default brightness slider that you set before messing with HDR settings. To me if a set is calibrated using your settings only the HDR slider should have to be messed with and not the default ones.

But in assassins creed I have to nearly bottom out the regular brightness slider and it turns everything insanely dark. So I just left it at default since it seemed more natural. Then I adjusted the HDR settings to the 3k luminance and roughly 140 paper white.

Wasnt sure why assassins creed was asking for the picture to be so dark
Yeah, for AC: Origins standard brightness is not so good by default. But I suggest you to turn off HDR from Dashboard Video Settings, launch Origins and calibrate in-game standard Brightness, then close the game, re-enable HDR from Dashboard and only adjust HDR (3k nits and 140pw is ok), and you should be good to go.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, for AC: Origins standard brightness is not so good by default. But I suggest you to turn off HDR from Dashboard Video Settings, launch Origins and calibrate in-game standard Brightness, then close the game, re-enable HDR from Dashboard and only adjust HDR (3k nits and 140pw is ok), and you should be good to go.

Holy crap what a pain lol

Should thjs be standard operation for all games withthe default slider to set it with HDR disabled

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, yeah, but it's just a one time setup (and just a double check if standard brightness is really ok with calibrated SDR Game mode). It's not REALLY necessary ;)

Ok, thanks man! They honestly should tell general consumers this though for calibrating. Because calibrating default brightness with HDR on really messes with picture quality

I always thout you could do both at the same time lol

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for sharing. I will give this a try on my B7A. Could you confirm what's the procedure to revert/remove the custom DV file in case I want to go back? Do I need to factory reset the entire TV or just the settings for DV?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Ok, thanks man! They honestly should tell general consumers this though for calibrating. Because calibrating default brightness with HDR on really messes with picture quality

I always thout you could do both at the same time lol
Yeah, but luckily this has improved with recent games compared to before (e.g. Halo: MCC now completely hides standard Brightness section if HDR is detected or FH4 that suggest to adjust HDR Brightness first, and only after have a look to standard brightness etc.)

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thank you for sharing. I will give this a try on my B7A. Could you confirm what's the procedure to revert/remove the custom DV file in case I want to go back? Do I need to factory reset the entire TV or just the settings for DV?
You can restore just the DV Cinema profile to its default, and if this won't be enough I can provide you another file to overwrite (with default DV values)