LG 2017 OLEDs - Calibrated Settings for Xbox One X / webOS (SDR/HDR/DV)

Chris9999

May 12, 2019
new Firmware 5.80.35 is available (in engeering mode) with new DV Version (1.4.4_09.01)
Will that fit to the DV-File posted here?
Or is is better not to update....?

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
watching some stranger things via the LG netflix app, cinema seems a bit dark and game seems a bit bright.

Maverick-ick

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Anyone played Just Cause 4 on Xbox one x? Plenty to choose from in gamma, brightness and hdd settings. All set to standard with Option 2 settings but I feel the picture is way off and too bright somehow? Perhaps it's supposed to look like that, I'm not sure. The game looks way ugly.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Idaho
Playing around with Option 2 HDR on both my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro and I'm noticing that in games like Red Dead Redemption 2 (XBO) Horizon: Zero Dawn, when I use the PC input option, highlights get blown the hell out, especially in the sky. Is this to be expected, or is there some way to get around this? I really appreciate the increased brightness I get out of this mode, but at the expense of white detail I might just go back to Option 1.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Playing around with Option 2 HDR on both my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro and I'm noticing that in games like Red Dead Redemption 2 (XBO) Horizon: Zero Dawn, when I use the PC input option, highlights get blown the hell out, especially in the sky. Is this to be expected, or is there some way to get around this? I really appreciate the increased brightness I get out of this mode, but at the expense of white detail I might just go back to Option 1.
Yeah, this is how HDR Standard profile and generally Injectors tone map, but if you can set an in-game HDR Luminance to 2.000 nits and Paper White to 120 (with Option 2) highlights' clipping is very reduced, and the image is overall great.
Option 1 can be more accurate highlights wise, but High Dynamic Contrast can often lead to wrong colors and/or crushed blacks, while anything below High Dynamic Contrast may look too dim.
Option 2 results are more consistent, therefore is the better poison to pick to me.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Idaho
Yeah, this is how HDR Standard profile and generally Injectors tone map, but if you can set an in-game HDR Luminance to 2.000 nits and Paper White to 120 (with Option 2) highlights' clipping is very reduced, and the image is overall great.
Option 1 can be more accurate highlights wise, but High Dynamic Contrast can often lead to wrong colors and/or crushed blacks, while anything below High Dynamic Contrast may look too dim.
Option 2 results are more consistent, therefore is the better poison to pick to me.
Thanks for the explanation! I'm leaning towards Option 2 being the lesser of two evils myself. Clipped highlights are far less distracting to me than a dimmer, oversaturated picture.

Marble

Nov 27, 2017
P40L0 Is it correct the TV doesn't change inputs by itself when changing from HDR to SDR content?

On my PS4 Pro, I somehow like the console input/game mode better with SDR, but I like PC input (Option 2) better with HDR content. I've already selected to use these settings on all inputs but when I play Detroit Become Human (HDR game) and go back to Diablo 3 (SDR) game, the TV stays on PC input. Is that the wat it should work?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
P40L0 Is it correct the TV doesn't change inputs by itself when changing from HDR to SDR content?

On my PS4 Pro, I somehow like the console input/game mode better with SDR, but I like PC input (Option 2) better with HDR content. I've already selected to use these settings on all inputs but when I play Detroit Become Human (HDR game) and go back to Diablo 3 (SDR) game, the TV stays on PC input. Is that the wat it should work?
This is correct.
The TV will correctly and automatically handshake between SDR / HDR / Dolby Vision presets, but always within the HDMI Input icon we choose for that port (e.g. "Game Console" or "PC" input icon).

HDMI Input icons can only be switched manually.

Marble

Nov 27, 2017
This is correct.
The TV will correctly and automatically handshake between SDR / HDR / Dolby Vision presets, but always within the HDMI Input icon we choose for that port (e.g. "Game Console" or "PC" input icon).

HDMI Input icons can only be switched manually.
Thanks. So best thing to do here is keep both on PC input.

I'm getting a feeling SDR option 2 is kinda dim. What is your stance on increasing the OLED light? Or is it better to change dynamic contrast?