• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
On ps4 pro option 2 (pc mode with hdr standard) I set all to auto except RGB interval that I set to limited.

On pc mode hdr I don't notice any difference between resolution set to auto or YUV 420. The banding is absent for the 99% of the time, except that 1% when I notice it looking at the sky in games like Days Gone or Tomb Raider.

Still, I notice a minor increase of input lag when comparing the two presets (option 1 and 2); it is most unnoticeable in third person games like Days Gone but I can clearly see it in fps like Deus Ex.

Well, maybe it's me and maybe it is not important...

Yeah, I also notice the lag in Days Gone and I'm using option 2. It makes me worried that maybe my settings are incorrect on the PS4 Pro.

Is there any specific settings I should have the PS4 Pro set to in order to reduce input lag with option 2? Or is this only possible on XB1X?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I tried Rage 2 (Pro): I stand corrected. Little bit more inputlag, but it's not as bad as it was.

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
I tried Rage 2 (Pro): I stand corrected. Little bit more inputlag, but it's not as bad as it was.
Does Rage 2 on pro have HDR? Not on One X.
For me, the lag on option 2 is slightly noticed only on HDR games.
In these days I returned to option 2, also on Pro. I decided to stick with that for the best quality possible, for enjoying games like RDR2 at their best. I'll keep this tv for another year then I'll take one from the 9 series.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Does Rage 2 on pro have HDR? Not on One X.
For me, the lag on option 2 is slightly noticed only on HDR games.
In these days I returned to option 2, also on Pro. I decided to stick with that for the best quality possible, for enjoying games like RDR2 at their best. I'll keep this tv for another year then I'll take one from the 9 series.

No, Rage 2 does not support HDR. They went for a 60fps experience on 1080p. But I compared and there is a small difference, so for now I'll stick to console input when playing Rage 2, since there is no difference.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
No, Rage 2 does not support HDR. They went for a 60fps experience on 1080p. But I compared and there is a small difference, so for now I'll stick to console input when playing Rage 2, since there is no difference.
That's just ok if you prefer so, but be aware that outside PC HDR Standard that could "possibly" increase input lag all other PC input SDR profiles always have true 21ms input lag, therefore totally identical to SDR/HDR Game modes input lag.

Anyway, with latest v5.80.35 firmware and using a B7 with X1X, PC HDR Standard (with Option 2 settings) input lag feels pretty identical to HDR Game responsiveness to me, even with 60fps games as BFV?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
That's just ok if you prefer so, but be aware that outside PC HDR Standard that could "possibly" increase input lag all other PC input SDR profiles always have true 21ms input lag, therefore totally identical to SDR/HDR Game modes input lag.

Anyway, with latest v5.80.35 firmware and using a B7 with X1X, PC HDR Standard (with Option 2 settings) input lag feels pretty identical to HDR Game responsiveness to me, even with 60fps games as BFV?

Are you saying Option 2 should have the same input lag as Option 1 on both PC and console input? I noticed a small difference when comparing and Option 1 is superior.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Are you saying Option 2 should have the same input lag as Option 1 on both PC and console input? I noticed a small difference when comparing and Option 1 is superior.
Yes, all PC SDR profiles (including PC SDR Technicolor and PC ISF Dark Room) are identical input lag wise to SDR Game (both using Option 1 and Option 2), as they were measured as same 21ms input lag plus also feel identical while playing even fast paced games.

The possible input lag increase can be felt with PC HDR Standard profile only (when compared to HDR Game), but even there seems a bit random as I recently personally played hours of BFV and Halo: MCC in HDR/60fps both using Option 1 and Option 2, and with latest firmware the responsiveness also felt identical to me.
The possible increase also seems felt mainly by PS4 Pro users compared to X1X users (with Color Depth set to 10-bit) and coupling this to PC Mode input lag measurements still of 21ms input lag in all modes (performed even by DOTDASHDOT here, some months ago) bring to my mind that the increase could be related on how fast the consoles process and pass HDR signal when using PC Input compared to Console input, adding or not further lag even if slight.

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
Yes, all PC SDR profiles (including PC SDR Technicolor and PC ISF Dark Room) are identical input lag wise to SDR Game (both using Option 1 and Option 2), as they were measured as same 21ms input lag plus also feel identical while playing even fast paced games.

The possible input lag increase can be felt with PC HDR Standard profile only (when compared to HDR Game), but even there seems a bit random as I recently personally played hours of BFV and Halo: MCC in HDR/60fps both using Option 1 and Option 2, and with latest firmware the responsiveness also felt identical to me.
The possible increase also seems felt mainly by PS4 Pro users compared to X1X users (with Color Depth set to 10-bit) and coupling this to PC Mode input lag measurements still of 21ms input lag in all modes (performed even by DOTDASHDOT here, some months ago) bring to my mind that the increase could be related on how fast the consoles process and pass HDR signal when using PC Input compared to Console input, adding or not further lag even if slight.
THAT is the point. I noticed that, when on PC HDR standard, the slightly increase in input lag is somewhat felt when a wrong option is set on the console.
During these days I also asked on Rtings if someone measured the PC HDR standard input lag on 5.80.35 frimware, just to be definitely sure and set option 2 without further tinking, but unfortunately they don't have this information as they keep their tv only for a year and then sell them out.
They however confirmed that, when they did the measure (on early firmwares), the input lag was the same on every picture mode when labeling the input as PC. Hope LG didn't change that!

Anyway, I understand that some of the users there performed an input lag measure months ago. Could be an idea to measure it again on the latest firmware, just to be sure and eventually to quantify the discrepance in input lag when in game and PC mode?

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I just did some more comparisons. My gut says console input responds slightly quicker, but it's very hard to tell. We're probably talking about a few milliseconds here, but it might even be placebo for all I know.

Maybe someone here can do the measurements.

vegtro

Oct 25, 2017
I just did some more comparisons. My gut says console input responds slightly quicker, but it's very hard to tell. We're probably talking about a few milliseconds here, but it might even be placebo for all I know.

I don't have any tools, but I usually use Everybody's Golf to test out input lag with the Meter Swing. There is a tad lag from my perspective (with 420 Chroma), but not much. The brightness of Option 2 is nice, but there is still some banding (on XB and PS) so I just revert back to Option 1 and call it a day.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I don't have any tools, but I usually use Everybody's Golf to test out input lag with the Meter Swing. There is a tad lag from my perspective (with 420 Chroma), but not much. The brightness of Option 2 is nice, but there is still some banding (on XB and PS) so I just revert back to Option 1 and call it a day.
Can't notice any banding with Option 2 and Unchecking 422 (therefore using 420) on X1X or it's the same as Option 1 at least.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

Previous measurements shown PC HDR Standard at same 21ms input lag (but they were made using PC HDR Standard with 4K/HDR Bly-Rays tools/players, and not directly from X1X or PS4 Pro)

Anyway, from my experience if you struggle really hard to notice any input lag differences with actual games (especially after long sessions) we're talking about a "Non-Issue" in most cases, no matter if confirmed by meter or not ;)

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Did some more testing. I can rule out placebo. Option 1 (SDR) definitely feels tighter.

P40L0 I also tried PC input and then use game mode, which also feels tighter than ISF dark room. What's the downside of that IQ wise and what settings would you advise if I want to keep it on that mode?

Edit: come to think of it, I can probably just use option 1 settings on option 2 input, correct?

Last edited:

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
Did some more testing. I can rule out placebo. Option 1 (SDR) definitely feels tighter.

P40L0 I also tried PC input and then use game mode, which also feels tighter than ISF dark room. What's the downside of that IQ wise and what settings would you advise if I want to keep it on that mode?

Edit: come to think of it, I can probably just use option 1 settings on option 2 input, correct?
In my opinion, there's no need to correct the SDR game mode or to use the PC input when playing SDR games. SDR game is very good on its own: I don't see any flaw in it.

The problem of this tv as it is now, is only the HDR game mode. And honestly, although a software correction would be very useful, the more I play with option 2 (I played a lot of Days Gone) the more I feel that, if there is a slightly increase of input lag, it is negligible. Let's just stick to the option that give the best image quality and forget about it...until a LG software fix (very improbable) or a tv replacement.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
In my opinion, there's no need to correct the SDR game mode or to use the PC input when playing SDR games. SDR game is very good on its own: I don't see any flaw in it.

The problem of this tv as it is now, is only the HDR game mode. And honestly, although a software correction would be very useful, the more I play with option 2 (I played a lot of Days Gone) the more I feel that, if there is a slightly increase of input lag, it is negligible. Let's just stick to the option that give the best image quality and forget about it...until a LG software fix (very improbable) or a tv replacement.

Sure, but I rather just keep it on the same input without having to worry about it and switching every time I play another game.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Sure, but I rather just keep it on the same input without having to worry about it and switching every time I play another game.
I totally agree.
Generally once I reach the best overall settings for mixed usage I settle with them and never switch inputs/profiles again.

That's why I stick with Option 2 now no matter the negligible input lag increase (if any).
Also consider that in PC Mode, when triggered, all Dolby Vision profiles are the same as Console input, so it is good also for regular Movies (when using X1X Netflix app for instance) and it's ready for future Dolby Vision games also.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I totally agree.
Generally once I reach the best overall settings for mixed usage I settle with them and never switch inputs/profiles again.

That's why I stick with Option 2 now no matter the negligible input lag increase (if any).
Also consider that in PC Mode, when triggered, all Dolby Vision profiles are the same as Console input, so it is good also for regular Movies (when using X1X Netflix app for instance) and it's ready for future Dolby Vision games also.

Did you see my previous question? Can I use option 1 SDR settings while using PC input. There is less inputlag that way.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Did you see my previous question? Can I use option 1 SDR settings while using PC input. There is less inputlag that way.
Yes sure, but trust me on this.
There is no added input lag at all in any SDR profile when using PC Mode, and calibrated ISF Dark Room is more accurate than SDR Game.

The only controversial input lag increase regards PC Mode and HDR Standard only.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Yes sure, but trust me on this.
There is no added input lag at all in any SDR profile when using PC Mode, and calibrated ISF Dark Room is more accurate than SDR Game.

The only controversial input lag increase regards PC Mode and HDR Standard only.

Like you said: on X there is not, but I'm on Pro. I fired up Rage 2 yesterday and switched back to console input. I played around for like an half hour and then returned to PC input. I immediately noticed the difference when turning around and stopping. Both console input and Game Mode on PC input felt tighter than ISF on PC input.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Like you said: on X there is not, but I'm on Pro. I fired up Rage 2 yesterday and switched back to console input. I played around for like an half hour and then returned to PC input. I immediately noticed the difference when turning around and stopping. Both console input and Game Mode on PC input felt tighter than ISF on PC input.
Mmmmh, that's super strange and the first time I read that, and I don't have a PS4 Pro to personally test it.

If you are sure about the difference there are no issues in using SDR Game profile in PC Mode.

Just be aware to not use HDR Game profile in PC Mode as you can't enable Dynamic Contrast there and will result in a SUPER DIM picture compared to Console Input and Option 1.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Mmmmh, that's super strange and the first time I read that, and I don't have a PS4 Pro to personally test it.

If you are sure about the difference there are no issues in using SDR Game profile in PC Mode.

Just be aware to not use HDR Game profile in PC Mode as you can't enable Dynamic Contrast there and will result in a SUPER DIM picture compared to Console Input and Option 1.

For HDR games I use HDR Standard just like in the OP. That's what you mean, right?

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
Has anyone tried to switch YUV420 and YUV422 on the PS4 while in HDR? What difference does it make, input lag wise? I personally didn't notice any picture quality difference, but maybe there's more.

kratos2412

Nov 3, 2018
Germany
Has anyone tried to switch YUV420 and YUV422 on the PS4 while in HDR? What difference does it make, input lag wise? I personally didn't notice any picture quality difference, but maybe there's more.

Playing FPS on Ps4 pro (PC Mode HDR) feels like it has slightly more inputlag than Game Mode ......maybe 21ms vs 40ms. Ive tried evereything and im ok with Option 1 for now

There is a difference in YUV420 and YUV422, like washed out colors or crushed blacks if i remember correctly when selecting , one is 8bit the other 10 bit.........

Last edited:

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
Today I played a lot of Resident Evil 2 remake with PC mode standard HDR and game mode HDR, and I can assure you that input lag is exactly the same. Of course, this depends also on the fact that RE2 is a 60fps game, so it already comes with faster response time than a 30fps game, but I'm start to thinking that I'm a victim of a big placebo effect.

For example Days Gone, at first, seemed to me with a worse input lag when played using option 2, but today I realized that the game is full of little stutter and slow downs, maybe due to its open world nature. These little slowdowns happens even if one is stand still and only moves the camera.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Today I played a lot of Resident Evil 2 remake with PC mode standard HDR and game mode HDR, and I can assure you that input lag is exactly the same. Of course, this depends also on the fact that RE2 is a 60fps game, so it already comes with faster response time than a 30fps game, but I'm start to thinking that I'm a victim of a big placebo effect.

For example Days Gone, at first, seemed to me with a worse input lag when played using option 2, but today I realized that the game is full of little stutter and slow downs, maybe due to its open world nature. These little slowdowns happens even if one is stand still and only moves the camera.
Yep, same conclusions as mine (testing on X1X at least): at the end of the day identical response time between Option 1 and 2 settings.

There is a difference in YUV420 and YUV422, like washed out colors or crushed blacks if i remember correctly when selecting , one is 8bit the other 10 bit.........
422 is fine and even recommended outside PC Input (as it will further reduce color banding, and also get a brighter and more accurate color resolution even if slight).

When using PC Input, 422 will introduce massive color banding, no matter what the source device is (X1X or PS4 Pro) as it's a limitation/bug of how PC Mode handles the HDR/422 signal compared to any other HDMI Input icons.
Unchecking 422 and using 420 with PC Mode will look perfectly fine instead, and still outperform 422 quality thanks to the more accurate calibrated ISF Dark Room preset for SDR and HDR Standard for HDR.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
FinalDOOM Did you also try an SDR game? Because in that mode there is added inputlag. I played some more Rage yesterday and used game mode within PC input and it's as tight as can be now.

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
FinalDOOM Did you also try an SDR game? Because in that mode there is added inputlag. I played some more Rage yesterday and used game mode within PC input and it's as tight as can be now.
I haven't tried any SDR game yet, maybe I'll do with DOOM and let you know :)

Anyway, for me SDR gaming is not a problem: I surely understand that one doesn't want to switch input once he finds the best picture, but the input switch takes five seconds and the settings are preserved for each previously tuned label.
So, if I want to jump to an SDR game, I just change the label from PC to console and enjoy the SDR game mode that for me is excellent.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I haven't tried any SDR game yet, maybe I'll do with DOOM and let you know.

Anyway, for me SDR gaming is not a problem: I surely understand that one don't want to switch input once he finds the best picture, but the input switch takes five seconds and the settings are preserved for each previously tuned label.
So, if I want to jump to an SDR game, I just change the label from PC to console and enjoy the SDR game mode that for me is excellent.

Anyway, I'll surely do some 'eye' tests on PC SDR :)
As said before, you don't have to change inputs as SDR Game mode can be picked even when using PC Mode, using the same settings of Option 1 for it.
That's not necessary anyway, as all PC Mode's SDR profiles have the same identical 21ms input lag as SDR Game Mode, and NEVER had any doubt about it after thousands hours of gaming/testing on my B7.

FinalDOOM

Aug 7, 2019
As said before, you don't have to change inputs as SDR Game mode can be picked even when using PC Mode, using the same settings of Option 1 for it.
That's not necessary anyway, as all PC Mode's SDR profiles have the same identical 21ms input lag as SDR Game Mode, and NEVER had any doubt about it after thousands hours of gaming/testing on my B7.
Ok, got it about SDR gaming and input.

Anyway, I honestly didn't notice any banding at all when in HDR YUV422, PC input, on the PS4 Pro. On Ps4 Pro, 422 and 420 seems identical to me, picture quality wise.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I haven't updated my B7 in ages, so I'm on version 04.70.85. Have there been major downgrades in terms of general picture quality or usability with the updates apart from the fixed PC mode or is it "safe" to update in order to fully enjoy HDR gaming? I remember the B6 getting worse with software updates, so I'm asking just to be safe.

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
I haven't updated my B7 in ages, so I'm on version 04.70.85. Have there been major downgrades in terms of general picture quality or usability with the updates apart from the fixed PC mode or is it "safe" to update in order to fully enjoy HDR gaming? I remember the B6 getting worse with software updates, so I'm asking just to be safe.
No different to the fw your on

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
PC Mode fixes alone are worth the upgrade, plus Dolby Vision profiles were updated to newest versions.
No downgrades noticed, so it's safe to upgrade up to v5.80.35 so far.

markb1980

Dec 18, 2018
I tried option 2 PC Input HDR Standard settings last night and there was def still banding using this method. The sky on Forza Horizon 4 was full of it where as on Game Mode it wasn't. Its a shame as it was nice and bright.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I tried option 2 PC Input HDR Standard settings last night and there was def still banding using this method. The sky on Forza Horizon 4 was full of it where as on Game Mode it wasn't. Its a shame as it was nice and bright.
You need to Uncheck YCC 422 and stick to 420 in order to remove banding in PC Mode.

Can't notice any increased banding in HDR compared to Option 1 this way .

markb1980

Dec 18, 2018
You need to Uncheck YCC 422 and stick to 420 in order to remove banding in PC Mode.

Can't notice any increased banding in HDR compared to Option 1 this way .

Yes I did this and definitely more banding in the tests I did. I also switched between 422 checked and unchecked and seen no changes to the banding in PC mode. My test was your PC HDR settings Vs Game Mode HDR settings with no Dynamic contrast which I was using before. Maybe if anyone else has Forza Horizon 4 they can check this. Look at the Sky in the day and see if you can see a difference in Banding Vs Game Mode HDR.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I also switched between 422 checked and unchecked and seen no changes to the banding in PC mode.
That's seems very strange to me on X1X.
I always had massive color banding with X1X and 422 on my B7 + PC Mode, need to re-test this to see if something changed after latest console/TV firmwares.

Reminder: after changing YCC422 setting you need to reboot the console to really take effect, did you try that?

markb1980

Dec 18, 2018
I always had massive color banding with X1X and 422 on my B7 + PC Mode, need to re-test this to see if something changed after latest console/TV firmwares.

Reminder: after changing YCC422 setting you need to reboot the console to really take effect, did you try that?

No I didn't reboot so I will try this later and see if it changes anything. Maybe someone else could check this to see the difference in banding if any between the two.

markb1980

Dec 18, 2018

Ok did the reboot and colour banding seems to have gone so thank you.

Just one more question, when playing a 4K HDR blu Ray from the X1X my AVR receiver says the signal is BT2020 RGB?? Should it not be BT2020 4.2.0 or 4.2.2 instead of RGB?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Ok did the reboot and colour banding seems to have gone so thank you.

Just one more question, when playing a 4K HDR blu Ray from the X1X my AVR receiver says the signal is BT2020 RGB?? Should it not be BT2020 4.2.0 or 4.2.2 instead of RGB?
Did you also set 10-bit Color Depth in X1X Video Settings?
That way it should be BT2020 4.2.0 @ 10-bit in HDR

markb1980

Dec 18, 2018
Just thought hdr blu rays were ycbcr420 and that's what should be put out from the Xbox. When I play a HDR game it shows ycbcr. BT2020 so not sure why a blu ray is showing RGB.

Ok so it seems if you have 24hz selected it will output RGB if you play it at 60hz it will be Ycbr. Obviously 24hz is the correct setting for Blu rays so must be just the way the Xbox does it.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Ok so it seems if you have 24hz selected it will output RGB if you play it at 60hz it will be Ycbr. Obviously 24hz is the correct setting for Blu rays so must be just the way the Xbox does it.
Yes exactly.
Moreover the X1X RGB color transcoding playing Blu-Ray, previously bugged/inaccurate, is now fixed and colors are displayed properly and comparable to a proper separate Blu-Ray reader.