• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
No, he provided me the DV pre-calibrated file via PM, then I merged his calibration with mine + Game Modes.
He was great ;)
So what did you use to calibrate on generator? Or are these the settings from the original poster on AVS came up with or did you calibrate this? What APL, Pattern Size, and Pattern did you use? As well as 8bit, 10bit, 12bit, full or limited? Just curious? If you used a Murideo it can pass DV so why get a file from someone else if you can just do it yourself? Those graphs are from which mode?

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
P40L0 This is what I'm taking from this. please correct me if I'm wrong.

You did not actually do a calibration. The settings that were provided for the "Web OS" basically the none game modes were done by sonoftumble on AVSforum who used the equipment listed in OP and did test in question against other 7 series displays. So this is his work/calibration. Also he did not calibrate a game mode so those are just your preferred settings and it wasn't done with patterns generator or meter, so accuracy is questionable.

Not saying you have to but you should at least give proper credit to the calibrator who actually did the work on the calibrated settings. As someone who does calibration that would be the least I would expect, and not for my work to be mistaken as someone else. Plus it prevents people asking you questions like I did such as "What APL, Pattern Size, and Pattern did you use? As well as 8bit, 10bit, 12bit, full or limited", other questions being Was it a standard white point or alternate white point, was dE ICtCp used vs DE 2000, what was pattern insertion frequency, duration and pattern size. Was there a heat issue that caused drift during DV and HDR calibration. All of which you may not be able to answer unless you did the actual calibration

Last edited:
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
EDIT2: SDR Game Mode Contrast slightly increased to match Xbox One Dashboard calibration reference.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
P40L0 This is what I'm taking from this. please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hi,
I never said anywhere I personally performed the whole calibration flows for all the profiles from start to finish.

As I stated in my original Reddit post 1 year ago, these are the results of combined tests of RTINGs, AVSForum (D-Nice baseline, sonoftumble DV config file and more, that I already credited), Xbox One Dashboard Calibration section, Disc based calibration and personal experience both with webOS apps and Xbox One X since Day 1.

Everyone can use them as their respective baseline to adjust if they need/want to, and share their changes with anyone they prefer, and I wouldn't care to be credited at all.

I would just be glad to have made a difference in fully enjoying these outstanding TVs

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Hi,
I never said anywhere I personally performed the whole calibration flows for all the profiles from start to finish.

As I stated in my original Reddit post 1 year ago, these are the results of combined tests of RTINGs, AVSForum (D-Nice baseline, sonoftumble DV config file and more, that I already credited), Xbox One Dashboard Calibration section, Disc based calibration and personal experience both with webOS apps and Xbox One X since Day 1.

Everyone can use them as their respective baseline to adjust if they need/want to, and share their changes with anyone they prefer, and I wouldn't care to be credited at all.

I would just be glad to have made a difference in fully enjoying these outstanding TVs

The reason I made that comment is because it reads like it. If it didn't I wouldn't have made that comment =P

Either way it's cool you are providing people with options as opposed to the standard RTINGS, CNET, etc, etc.

So basically the calibrated settings are sonoftumble for SDR, HDR, DV for your "Web OS" settings and DV for HDR settings. The HDR10 and Game mode for XB1 are yours using the built in calibration app. Were they verified against patterns and a meter?

I'm sure many have benefited so that's good either way.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Is there a link to a avs thread where they talk about this dv profile? I'd like to read more about it along with impressions from other calibrators if available.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
henhowc This is where the settings actually came from for the "webOS' settings and DV HDR settings
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...rs-thread-no-price-talk-393.html#post55037420

This is where they were discussing the calibration itself
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-...2017-oled-calibration-thread-settings-27.html

The HDR Game mode and Game mode for the XB1 settings are really just personal preference so if you use the built in app you can basically do the same thing yourself

yeah i know but for the DV settings he mentioned that his tweaks only work right if you installed a separate DV update via usb. i was talking about that specifically. his other settings seem pretty standard/close to what others recommend...outside of the oled light setting for hdr i think.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
yeah i know but for the DV settings he mentioned that his tweaks only work right if you installed a separate DV update via usb. i was talking about that specifically. his other settings seem pretty standard/close to what others recommend...outside of the oled light setting for hdr i think.
There's no specific thread about sonoftumble's USB DV profile as he only provided it on AVSForum via PM.

Applying his USB DV custom profile to DV "Cinema" mode brighten the overly dark default PQ of that profile for me while retaining proper HDR contrast and highlights and without clipping of any sort.
Coupling the new profile with the rest of DV Cinema adjustments also provided more natural (and less saturated) colors, less white yellow tint and much better skin tones reproduction with all Netflix DV shows/movies I tried on my B7.

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

The DV Configuration file that is loaded into the display is a replacement to the Golden Reference file. Previously there was a file that specified the targets of that display for the 7 colors (primary, secondaries, and white). Each had it's own unique value the the Golden Reference file was generic so it was the same for all displays. What the DV configuration file does is the same thing but they are unique to each display. Meaning if you have 2 different displays that were both calibrated by same person, same equipment, same model and size the reference points that it makes for the 7 color patches it reads would be different. Not saying you can't use the same one but technically they are supposed to be unique. It contains when the new peak and min luminance is as well as what the primaries are, and what the GS points are.

The 2017 models CalMAN creates the needed file but it needed to be loaded on USB and loaded into TV. On the 2018's this part is not needed CalMAN uploads directly to TV once calibration is completed

Any calibration to DV requires this file as it is a correction file what what you want it to be.

This is what it actually does

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The DV Configuration file that is loaded into the display is a replacement to the Golden Reference file. Previously there was a file that specified the targets of that display for the 7 colors (primary, secondaries, and white). Each had it's own unique value the the Golden Reference file was generic so it was the same for all displays. What the DV configuration file does is the same thing but they are unique to each display. Meaning if you have 2 different displays that were both calibrated by same person, same equipment, same model and size the reference points that it makes for the 7 color patches it reads would be different. Not saying you can't use the same one but technically they are supposed to be unique. It contains when the new peak and min luminance is as well as what the primaries are, and what the GS points are.

The 2017 models CalMAN creates the needed file but it needed to be loaded on USB and loaded into TV. On the 2018's this part is not needed CalMAN uploads directly to TV once calibration is completed

Any calibration to DV requires this file as it is a correction file what what you want it to be.

This is what it actually does

Thanks for the clear explanation. I thought it was an update from Dolby or LG. I think I'll pass as I've generally had bad results from using others unique calibrations hah

Matthew

Oct 26, 2017
I updated the DV file on the "Cinema Home (User)" picture mode instead of the "Cinema (User)", d'oh. I can't seem to trigger the update process again on the "Cinema (User)" mode, I guess there is no chance that the DV file has been updated in both modes already?

Damn Cinema Home (User) mode doesn't have all the options open, like they White Balance.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I updated the DV file on the "Cinema Home (User)" picture mode instead of the "Cinema (User)", d'oh. I can't seem to trigger the update process again on the "Cinema (User)" mode, I guess there is no chance that the DV file has been updated in both modes already?

Damn Cinema Home (User) mode doesn't have all the options open, like they White Balance.
Try resetting DV Cinema Home to default settings, switch to DV Cinema and try again the USB patch (try also doing it with different apps/inputs, for example Netflix or Dolby Access app, webOS or HDMI1 on Netflix X1X app).

If nothing works you need to factory restore the TV.

Matthew

Oct 26, 2017
Try resetting DV Cinema Home to default settings, switch to DV Cinema and try again the USB patch (try also doing it with different apps/inputs, for example Netflix or Dolby Access app, webOS or HDMI1 on Netflix X1X app).

If nothing works you need to factory restore the TV.

Tried all the above, except for the factory settings... will do that because I definitely noticed a difference (in positive) between the Cinema Home compared with Cinema after the DV Update.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Tried all the above, except for the factory settings... will do that because I definitely noticed a difference (in positive) between the Cinema Home compared with Cinema after the DV Update.
Yeah, I also suggest you to do so as for me the patched DV Cinema mode is much better now after the USB patch + calibrated settings (even if the DV file was generated from another LG 2017 OLED TV). I would never go back to its default

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This phenomenal work OP! I have a C7, so I guess I can only apply 1 of the 6 options here ? Or can I create multiple profiles and associate it to the correct mode, ie webOS SDR -> Set as default file when in webOS

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
This phenomenal work OP! I have a C7, so I guess I can only apply 1 of the 6 options here ? Or can I create multiple profiles and associate it to the correct mode, ie webOS SDR -> Set as default file when in webOS
You can apply all the 6 profiles: 3 for webOS and 3 for X1X/Console scenario (read the "Notes" for each on how to do it). They will be separate and will automatically load each time you switch content/scenario.

As you have a C7, you can also apply White Balance and Color Management System values when you find them

Matthew

Oct 26, 2017
Done and going back to factory settings worked and there is a clear improvement. However I still feel it is too dark in DV to the point that I am tempted in setting the dynamic contrast to high...

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Done and going back to factory settings worked and there is a clear improvement. However I still feel it is too dark in DV to the point that I am tempted in setting the dynamic contrast to high...
Do not use Dynamic Contrast in DV profiles as DV already has frame-by-frame dynamic metadata.

Did you increase OLED Light to 70 and applied all the other settings (WB and CMS included) after the DV Cinema USB profile patch?

I found it pretty bright and very accurate after calibration, viewing Netflix DV contents both in webOS and X1X.

Please, make also sure to enable 4:2:2 and 12-bit on Xbox video settings.

Matthew

Oct 26, 2017
Do not use Dynamic Contrast in DV profiles as DV already has frame-by-frame dynamic metadata.

Did you increase OLED Light to 70 and applied all the other settings (WB and CMS included) after the DV Cinema USB profile patch?

I found it pretty bright and very accurate after calibration, viewing Netflix DV contents both in webOS and X1X.

Please, make also sure to enable 4:2:2 and 12-bit on Xbox video settings.

I don't have an Xbox so I am only setting it up for WebOS.
I set the OLED to 70 and did all the WB settings but I don't see and CMS setting modifications in the calibration settings you posted. I was actually wondering if they were missing as you mention them in the "important" section highlighted in yellow. Would an increase Luminance brighten the image?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I don't have an Xbox so I am only setting it up for WebOS.
I set the OLED to 70 and did all the WB settings but I don't see and CMS setting modifications in the calibration settings you posted. I was actually wondering if they were missing as you mention them in the "important" section highlighted in yellow. Would an increase Luminance brighten the image?
The CMS adjustments for DV are done directly via the USB patch (among general tone mapping), so they're not manual (you will see 0 values if you go there, but in reality they were customized by the USB profile, and you can copy also that section to other Inputs if you need to).

If you applied the USB profile + setting all up as described and still see a dim picture, the only thing that comes to my mind is probably Energy Saving and/or Eye Comfort settings that you forgot to disable? Check also those, as they drastically reduce brightness if enabled.

On my side, the calibrated DV Cinema profile looks superb.

Matthew

Oct 26, 2017
Ok checked and tried the process again still the same. It might be a difference in my screen, however I have been testing the signal with Maniac and when I checked with Lost in Space Iust admit that the DV picture looked impressive. I am now wondering if It was just how Maniac looks that put me off.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Ok checked and tried the process again still the same. It might be a difference in my screen, however I have been testing the signal with Maniac and when I checked with Lost in Space Iust admit that the DV picture looked impressive. I am now wondering if It was just how Maniac looks that put me off.
Oh, yeah. Not all DV content looks the same obviously.

Try also Altered Carbon. Looks and sound incredible in DV+Atmos. (it's also a great show)

KingKonga

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the writeup, using some of the settings on my new 55B8. How should I handle Blurays/DVDs on my Xbox One S? Should I change the picture settings from the TV manually when viewing a movie on it?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thanks for the writeup, using some of the settings on my new 55B8. How should I handle Blurays/DVDs on my Xbox One S? Should I change the picture settings from the TV manually when viewing a movie on it?
You can still use HDR Game (it's identical to HDR Cinema with Active HDR disabled), without manual changes.

Or you can use Technicolor HDR with same settings as calibrated webOS HDR profile for best picture quality (you will have Active HDR, Real Cinema and even more accurate White Balance), but you have to manually switch it every time.

Hopefully Dolby Vision support will also come to Blu-ray app in the next months

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
EDIT3: X1X HDR Game profile update - > Set "Dynamic Contrast" from LOW to MEDIUM as default in order to have a slightly higher HDR gamma and brightness (without significantly hit at tone mapping). Avoid the HIGH setting as it will overprocess colors and white on top of gamma.

Last edited:

KingKonga

Oct 30, 2017
You can still use HDR Game (it's identical to HDR Cinema with Active HDR disabled), without manual changes.

Or you can use Technicolor HDR with same settings as calibrated webOS HDR profile for best picture quality (you will have Active HDR, Real Cinema and even more accurate White Balance), but you have to manually switch it every time.

Hopefully Dolby Vision support will also come to Blu-ray app in the next months
Never saw the option yesterday für HDR Game when I was trying to change the picture mode on a DVD. There was only Standard, Dynamic, Cinema, Sport, Game, Technicolor expert, Expert dark/bright. Should I leave it on Game Mode then for non 4k/HDR Bluray or DVD?

Cronus

Oct 31, 2017
Unfortunately it is forced, and on 2017 Series color gamuts (both Rec709 and Rec2020) are not accurate.
"Non-PC Input" SDR Game mode with forced Wide gamut with slightly lowered Color to 46 mostly counter balance the colors oversaturation, and it's still better than 2017 SDR with "PC Input".

On 2018 Series 4:4:4 is still forced, but, as you said, PC Input could still be worthwhile for SDR usage only as gamuts were fixed by LG.
HDR10 is still better on "Non-PC" tho
What exactly are you saying here? What's wrong with using PC Mode + ISF Expert for SDR gaming on 2017 OLEDs? I do that, as I hate the forced "Wide" colour gamut in Game Mode.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Your SDR settings match mine to a T
The first place where I see that calibrated the Game Mode with 46 color instead of leaving it at 50.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Never saw the option yesterday für HDR Game when I was trying to change the picture mode on a DVD. There was only Standard, Dynamic, Cinema, Sport, Game, Technicolor expert, Expert dark/bright. Should I leave it on Game Mode then for non 4k/HDR Bluray or DVD?
Sorry, when you talked about BluRays I was thinking about 4k/HDR BluRays.

For SDR BluRays/DVDs, the answer is same but the profile to choose for manual switch would be Technicolor Expert (with same settings as webOS SDR profile) or you can leave calibrated Game mode always on without manual switch. In this case the only drawback of Game mode would be the forced "Wide" color gamut (partially mitigated with slightly lower Color value to 46) and limited customization options (no WB/CMS custom values)

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
What exactly are you saying here? What's wrong with using PC Mode + ISF Expert for SDR gaming on 2017 OLEDs? I do that, as I hate the forced "Wide" colour gamut in Game Mode.
Currently on 2017 OLEDs PC Mode all Color Gamuts are just wrongly represented, so you will experience washed out / undersaturated colors even in SDR. For a direct comparison, try switch back and forth inputs from PC to any other HDMI input while using the same calibrated Technicolor Expert mode -> PC Mode will always have worse colors.

The forced "Wide" in standard input SDR Game is a much lesser "issue" as it can be almost totally fixed out lowering Color value a bit.
Chroma subsampling at 4:4:4 alone is not worth all the other PC Mode issues right now.

KingKonga

Oct 30, 2017
Sorry, when you talked about BluRays I was thinking about 4k/HDR BluRays.

For SDR BluRays/DVDs, the answer is same but the profile to choose for manual switch would be Technicolor Expert (with same settings as webOS SDR profile) or you can leave calibrated Game mode always on without manual switch. In this case the only drawback of Game mode would be the forced "Wide" color gamut (partially mitigated with slightly lower Color value to 46) and limited customization options (no WB/CMS custom values)
I'll give it a try later. Thanks!
Do you have any recommendation for football? The Football Mode is too bright and looks really strange.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I'll give it a try later. Thanks!
Do you have any recommendation for football? The Football Mode is too bright and looks really strange.
It may sound weird, bet along with SDR/HDR Technicolor modes with Real Cinema ON, both SDR and HDR Game modes have the best motion handling possible with these TVs by default. Both will almost entirely eliminate judder, blur and motion artifacts.

I would avoid using any "Football Mode" or "Sport Mode" or even enabling TruMotion (with custom De-Judder/De-Blur sliders) considering all those will cause the "Soap Opera" effect, where everything will seem to run @60fps when it's not, and a lot of PQ artifacts and noise are introduced.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if I ask, but do you mean we have the same exact calibration (including Color at 46 for SDR Game Mode) or that you disagree with these settings?

I agree with them (SDR Game mode calibrations)
It's what my colorimeter said it was right for me but I never saw any place (including AVS) saying that this was the correct way to calibrate the Game Mode. They just... gave up on it.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, great to read then.
Thanks ;)

By the way, your HDR Game settings says the following:

EXPERT CONTROLS

Dynamic Contrast: MEDIUM

Dynamic Color: OFF

Super Resolution: OFF

Color Gamut: AUTO

Gamma: MEDIUM

For games with good HDR Controls (like Odyssey) that allows you to ramp up to 3000-4000 nits, the Dynamic Contrast feels just image quality destroying. Isn't Low a better default preset for most cases instead of Medium?

Also, isn't Color Gamut stuck to Wide in HDR Game mode?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
By the way, your HDR Game settings says the following:

EXPERT CONTROLS

Dynamic Contrast: MEDIUM

Dynamic Color: OFF

Super Resolution: OFF

Color Gamut: AUTO

Gamma: MEDIUM

For games with good HDR Controls (like Odyssey) that allows you to ramp up to 3000-4000 nits, the Dynamic Contrast feels just image quality destroying. Isn't Low a better default preset for most cases instead of Medium?

Also, isn't Color Gamut stuck to Wide in HDR Game mode?
HDR Game Dynamic Contrast effect is different compared to Standard/Cinema HDR one.

In Standard/Cinema HDR modes:
  • Dynamic Contrast set to LOW -> Enables Active HDR with dynamic tone mapping only (similar results to HDR10+ technique, more brightness and better overall HDR frame-by-frame quality). No further post-processing added;
  • Dynamic Contrast set to MEDIUM -> Enables Active HDR (see above) + standard Dynamic Contrast effect to LOW (it will curve the tone mapping clipping darker and brighter details, making the whole image look more contrasted, bright and "vibrant" at the cost of losing some detail)
  • Dynamic Contrast set to HIGH -> Enables Active HDR (see above) + standard Dynamic Contrast effect to MEDIUM (see above, and add even more clipping)

In HDR Game mode:
  • Dynamic Contrast set to LOW -> No Active HDR to preserve low 21ms Input Lag. No standard Dynamic Contrast is applied: only Gamma is just raised a bit, the image is more bright while preserving the tone mapping curve. No detail is clipped;
  • Dynamic Contrast set to MEDIUM ->No Active HDR to preserve low 21ms Input Lag. No standard Dynamic Contrast is applied: only Gamma is just raised even a bit more, the image is even more bright while preserving the tone mapping curve. Finest details COULD clip in some games/movie mastered at different nits, but I still haven't found one yet. It looks as good as LOW, just a little more bright;
  • Dynamic Contrast set to HIGH -> No Active HDR to preserve low 21ms Input Lag. Standard Dynamic Contrast is applied on top of even more raised Gamma, producing whitened colors and clipped dark/bright details all over the place. It just looks different and wrong compared to the previous two steps.

Generally both HDR Game Dynamic Contrast set LOW and MEDIUM coupled with HDR Luminance around 3.000/3.500 nits look superb in all games I tested.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HDR Game Dynamic Contrast effect is different compared to Standard/Cinema HDR one.

In Standard/Cinema HDR modes:
  • Dynamic Contrast set to LOW -> Enables Active HDR with dynamic tone mapping only (similar results to HDR10+ technique, more brightness and better overall HDR frame-by-frame quality). No further post-processing added;
  • Dynamic Contrast set to MEDIUM -> Enables Active HDR (see above) + standard Dynamic Contrast effect to LOW (it will curve the tone mapping clipping darker and brighter details, making the whole image look more contrasted, bright and "vibrant" at the cost of losing some detail)
  • Dynamic Contrast set to HIGH -> Enables Active HDR (see above) + standard Dynamic Contrast effect to MEDIUM (see above, and add even more clipping)

In HDR Game mode:
  • Dynamic Contrast set to LOW -> No Active HDR to preserve low 21ms Input Lag. No standard Dynamic Contrast is applied: only Gamma is just raised a bit, the image is more bright while preserving the tone mapping curve. No detail is clipped;
  • Dynamic Contrast set to MEDIUM ->No Active HDR to preserve low 21ms Input Lag. No standard Dynamic Contrast is applied: only Gamma is just raised even a bit more, the image is even more bright while preserving the tone mapping curve. Finest details COULD clip in some games/movie mastered at different nits, but I still haven't found one yet. It looks as good as LOW, just a little more bright;
  • Dynamic Contrast set to HIGH -> No Active HDR to preserve low 21ms Input Lag. Standard Dynamic Contrast is applied on top of even more raised Gamma, producing whitened colors and clipped dark/bright details all over the place. It just looks different and wrong compared to the previous two steps.

Generally both HDR Game Dynamic Contrast set LOW and MEDIUM coupled with HDR Luminance around 3.000/3.500 nits look superb in all games I tested.

Ah fair enough, didn't know that the Dynamic Contrast was indeed not active during Medium as well.
Might end up raising the from Low to Medium then and lowering the nits on calibration-able games.

Oct 28, 2017
Currently on 2017 OLEDs PC Mode all Color Gamuts are just wrongly represented, so you will experience washed out / undersaturated colors even in SDR. For a direct comparison, try switch back and forth inputs from PC to any other HDMI input while using the same calibrated Technicolor Expert mode -> PC Mode will always have worse colors.

The forced "Wide" in standard input SDR Game is a much lesser "issue" as it can be almost totally fixed out lowering Color value a bit.
Chroma subsampling at 4:4:4 alone is not worth all the other PC Mode issues right now.

I haven't experienced that at all on my C7 in SDR. Even took screenshots in Pc mode and non-pc mode in calibrated ISF Dark and they looked exactly the same. Not sure what you're on about.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Ah fair enough, didn't know that the Dynamic Contrast was indeed not active during Medium as well.
Might end up raising the from Low to Medium then and lowering the nits on calibration-able games.
HDR Game DC to Medium can also handle 3.500 nits properly without clipping, you may also not decrease it.

Regarding the forced "Wide" gamut, that is only for SDR Game. You can properly switch it back to "Auto" in HDR Game. ;)

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I haven't experienced that at all on my C7 in SDR. Even took screenshots in Pc mode and non-pc mode in calibrated ISF Dark and they looked exactly the same. Not sure what you're on about.
On my B7, comparing Technicolor SDR/HDR image on Game Console HDMI Input with same profile/settings but on PC Input immediately evidenced undersaturated colors in SDR and washed out colors + colors banding in Technicolor HDR on PC Input.

Taking a direct feed screenshot from a movie/game will always look the same. You should use a meter to put in front of the TV while switching Inputs, and register the differences. Or just use an high-definition camera to compare some off-screen, close photos.

Oct 28, 2017
On my B7, comparing Technicolor HDR image on Game Console HDMI Input with same profile/settings but on PC Input immediately evidenced undersaturated colors in SDR and washed out colors + colors banding in Technicolor HDR on PC Input.

Taking a direct feed screenshot from a movie/game will always look the same. You should use a meter to put in front of the TV while switching Inputs, and register the differences. Or just use an high-definition camera to compare some off-screen, close photos.

Bruh why would I take off-screen photos when I'm looking at it directly? There is literally no difference between the two. None. Furthermore, just lowering the color value in Game Mode SDR is hardly ideal, because the forced Wide mostly oversaturates reds, less so other colors. So you're just adjusting other colors too much as well.

You've got other weird stuff like Contrast at 95 and Color depth at 12-bit that's just plain wrong, but whatever.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Bruh why would I take off-screen photos when I'm looking at it directly? There is literally no difference between the two. None. Furthermore, just lowering the color value in Game Mode SDR is hardly ideal, because the forced Wide mostly oversaturates reds, less so other colors. So you're just adjusting other colors too much as well.
Yeah, that's why I called lowering SDR Game Color a bit "almost" a fix for the forced Wide. It's still not accurate that way, but still better than the metered results I had on PC Mode.

If you are not finding difference by naked eye for SDR, good for you and your set!
But regarding HDR, any HDR mode on LG 2017 OLEDs PC Input remain completely broken with no future fix or LG promise right now, and personally I prefer to not manually and constantly change Inputs and Modes whenever I hop back and fort SDR/HDR games/movies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
You've got other weird stuff like Contrast at 95 and Color depth at 12-bit that's just plain wrong, but whatever.
SDR Game Mode with Contrast at 95 matches Xbox One Calibration targets. For other SDR modes as Technicolor Expert the correct Contrast should be 85.

12-bit on Xbox Video Settings paired with YCC 4:2:2 provides the lesser color banding and best color luminance both in SDR/HDR Game and DV Cinema on X1X, even if the TV is obviously a 10-bit panel

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
P40L0 have you actually measured with your own meter and software any of your claims on your display? Do you even have a meter or software and generator?

Also have you done post calibration verification. With something like spears and muncil, teds calibration disc etc because so much of what you are saying is just wrong.

Sorry not trying to be rude or a dick but I have been doing calibration since 2008 and some paid jobs as well, have spent thousands in equipment, software, and experience with everything from the cheapest displays to spark boards and so much of what you are saying is just not 100% accurate

Xbox does not have reference patterns it is a poor source to judge anything against honestly.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
any issues that CODWW2 or ACOrigins gave me brightness wise or game HDR wise,

made me think otherwise when i look at god of war and AC Odyssey.
What kind of issues they gave to you?

AC: Origins looks fantastic on my B7 with the HDR Game calibrated profile, and game set at 3.000 nits for HDR Luminance, and 150 nits Paper White.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
What kind of issues they gave to you?

AC: Origins looks fantastic on my B7 with the HDR Game calibrated profile, and game set at 3.000 nits for HDR Luminance, and 150 nits Paper White.
i think CODWW2 and ACOrigins and SPider man a bit at times looked too dim on game mode.

But then I look at Horizon , God of War, FFXV, and other games and it is fine, Especially on AC odyssey. it pops like crazy and is crazy bright.

Same B7 tv.