• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Gotta say, Option 2 is great. I'm really enjoying playing Days Gone with these settings. Lag seems on par with Game Mode to me.

I willl say DV for X1X looked a bit dim but I raised OLED light to counter that.
Yep, Option 2 also became my favorite setup for gaming.

For DV being too dim, are you using DV Cinema settings or DV Game?
I found DV Game profile pretty bright?
Anyway, no issues in raising OLED Light a bit for DV, but I would not go over 60 value (compared to default 50).

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Yep, Option 2 also became my favorite setup for gaming.

For DV being too dim, are you using DV Cinema settings or DV Game?
I found DV Game profile pretty bright?
Anyway, no issues in raising OLED Light a bit for DV, but I would not go over 60 value (compared to default 50).

I'll double check that when I get home later but I thought I followed to the T. And good to know, I set it right at 60.

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Yep.. Injecting 1000 pc meta data and using option 1 in the OP on my C7.
How you finding the clipping and do you use that for every game as u find it clips quite heavily also last question do you still follow the in game hdr calibration or just set it to 1000 nits for eg forza horizon 4 blends at about 3500 nits for me

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Clipping is a lot less noticeable than using option 2, I still use in game HDR settings and I think I get the same on Forza - highlights crushed over 3,500 nits.

I find the extra luminous from the meta data and the low lag mean I use this for most games on my xbox X along with in game HDR settings I can usually find a sweet spot where the picture is bright with minimum clipping/crush.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Still cant find a spot to stick with I always thinks theres better lol
I definitely settled with Option 2 after 2 years of experiments to improve my 55B7V picture quality. Very happy with it, along with all other profiles in the first post.

I only recently increased DV Game OLED Light from default 50 to 60 to slightly improve darkest details. ;)

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm which HDR option (1 or 2) is better on PS4 Pro and what settings I should use on the console itself? I have everything on automatic as of now.

P40L0 maybe?

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I would try Option 2 with PS4 Pro video settings all set to Auto, except RGB to be set to Limited

Thanks. How come all the downsides (Color banding, inputlag) all of a sudden disappeared?

Not sure about the black level with this setting. It looks gray-ish?

Edit: never mind, HDR didn't kick in yet.

Last edited:

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
I'm using option 1 with injection but I cant seem to find the spot it's more ingame settings which I cant settle on ie the division 2 looks good sometimes but not others

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Try Option 2 without injection and games that will let you set HDR Luminance to 2.000 nits will look perfect.

Not to nitpick but option 2 does effect accuracy and highlights in order to achieve the brightness so many wanted compared to standard game mode. It is a great option but there is a trade off. Like so much in life.. I guess.

I tried option 2 for a week to see the difference and just found that the image itself was slightly less accurate and contrast was not as distinct, of course this is all by eye and could simply be my preferences dictating.

Option 2 is certainly viable and eliminates the need for an injector so you could sell it off and buy a few new games in october. What was interesting was injecting metadata using option 2 actually decreases the brightness/image.

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Not to nitpick but option 2 does effect accuracy and highlights in order to achieve the brightness so many wanted compared to standard game mode. It is a great option but there is a trade off. Like so much in life.. I guess.

I tried option 2 for a week to see the difference and just found that the image itself was slightly less accurate and contrast was not as distinct, of course this is all by eye and could simply be my preferences dictating.

Option 2 is certainly viable and eliminates the need for an injector so you could sell it off and buy a few new games in october. What was interesting was injecting metadata using option 2 actually decreases the brightness/image.
So what do you use with injection

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Yes, since two firmwares ago at least PC Mode issues (wrong gamut, color banding) got fixed, while increased input lag when using PC HDR Standard is negligible or even identical to regular HDR Game when forcing 10-bit on X1X Video settings.

For these reasons, I now cannot find a better setup than Option 2 + games' HDR Luminance set to 2.000 nits.
Doing so makes also Linkers actually not necessary anymore.

Jul 6, 2019
Hi Paolo and friends,

Hoping you guys could offer me some advice as I've searched everywhere for an answer but can't work it out. I'm wondering what will give better picture quality/accurate results for SDR gaming on PC. I'm not concerned with HDR as I believe windows now auto switches to the best settings when a HDR game is on. (?)

I'm using Dark Room picture mode with PC icon at 4k60hz. 92 contrast, 51 brightness, 50 colour, auto colour gamut, white balance and cms set to the recommendations and auto black level.

Though Nvidia control panel it lets you choose between RGB full/limited or YCbCr 444 @ 8bpc ,422/420 @ 8, 10 or 12 bpc.

I am thinking YCbCr 422 @ 12bpc would be best but does that mean if I play a game it would be down converting and making the color less accurate or adding input lag? Also should the TV black level should be set to high for any PC viewing as nothing I'll be viewing is "limited"?

Oh and one more thing.. when gaming in HDR on PC the TV locks color gamut to wide. Is it recommend to turn the color down to 42 or is that only something that suits the Xbox One limited set up?

Thanks

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
@P40L0

I've just tried out the new Option 2 for X1X HDR but it suffers from colour banding (used Forza Horizon 4 to test and the sky is full of banding) like before. Checked my LG firmware and it's on 05.80.25.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
@P40L0

I've just tried out the new Option 2 for X1X HDR but it suffers from colour banding (used Forza Horizon 4 to test and the sky is full of banding) like before. Checked my LG firmware and it's on 05.80.25.
When using Option 2 (and PC Mode) you must still avoid using 4:2:2 Chroma Subsampling (uncheck YCC 422 from X1X Video Options).
No color banding at all with 4:2:0

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
When using Option 2 (and PC Mode) you must still avoid using 4:2:2 Chroma Subsampling (uncheck YCC 422 from X1X Video Options).
No color banding at all with 4:2:0
My sincere apologies, after a reboot of my X1X it's all good. Not sure why that was needed mind you but there you go.

Thanks.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Linker or vertex is still needed P40l0...
"Needed" is a bit of an hyperbole in this regard in my opinion.
You can sure mess around with it to improve PQ even further, but there are no real "needs" anymore now.
It's more for die-hard accuracy seekers, but differences in real world comparison for regular people would be as subtle as not noticeable.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Hi Paolo and friends,

Hoping you guys could offer me some advice as I've searched everywhere for an answer but can't work it out. I'm wondering what will give better picture quality/accurate results for SDR gaming on PC. I'm not concerned with HDR as I believe windows now auto switches to the best settings when a HDR game is on. (?)

I'm using Dark Room picture mode with PC icon at 4k60hz. 92 contrast, 51 brightness, 50 colour, auto colour gamut, white balance and cms set to the recommendations and auto black level.

Though Nvidia control panel it lets you choose between RGB full/limited or YCbCr 444 @ 8bpc ,422/420 @ 8, 10 or 12 bpc.

I am thinking YCbCr 422 @ 12bpc would be best but does that mean if I play a game it would be down converting and making the color less accurate or adding input lag? Also should the TV black level should be set to high for any PC viewing as nothing I'll be viewing is "limited"?

Oh and one more thing.. when gaming in HDR on PC the TV locks color gamut to wide. Is it recommend to turn the color down to 42 or is that only something that suits the Xbox One limited set up?

Thanks
I don't game on PC, so I'm not sure how exactly Windows handles HDR handshakes, but I would just use my "Option 2" recommended settings for SDR and HDR, then I would find a way and make sure that NVIDIA control panel would use RGB Limited @ 8-bit for SDR (these TV are not meant to be used with High Black Level, as they would have problem when switching to HDR), and YCC 420 @ 10-bit for HDR (otherwise you will experience color banding in HDR).
If there are no way to do this automatically, I would do that manually before launching an SDR/HDR game.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Hi Paolo and friends,

Thanks

In my experience, it's not perfect. Enabling HDR in the Windows display settings keeps it on for everything, even games that are not HDR. This of course makes SDR games look terrible. For this reason, I leave it off. Games that are not from the Xbox/Windows Store will switch to HDR even if it's set off, but I haven't seen the Windows 10 games react the same. They only seem to recognize HDR when it's set on, so either way you go, it's not perfect yet.

I don't game on PC, so I'm not sure how exactly Windows handles HDR handshakes, but I would just use my "Option 2" recommended settings for SDR and HDR, then I would find a way and make sure that NVIDIA control panel would use RGB Limited @ 8-bit for SDR (these TV are not meant to be used with High Black Level, as they would have problem when switching to HDR), and YCC 420 @ 10-bit for HDR (otherwise you will experience color banding in HDR).
If there are no way to do this automatically, I would do that manually before launching an SDR/HDR game.

I don't think there is a way to do it automatically sadly. I can't tell if the default color settings will auto adjust. When using Nvidia color settings, I can only choose one profile, and when choosing YCC 420 (which I believe is the same as YCbCr420) it only allows you to choose 8 bpc or 12 bpc. You can only choose YCC 422 when selecting 10 bpc.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019

So it turns out 420 10 bit isn't supported. Ended up going with RGB Limited @ 8bpc for SDR and HDR which is the default setting though this is where it gets interesting... When loading into a HDR game I believe it uses 8bit with dithering which looks quite nice and doesn't leave much banding at all. You can read more about people's experience with dithering here https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/afpqfl/hdr_8bit_with_dithering_rgb_vs_10_or_12bit/

So to wrap things up, my last concern is input lag. At the bottom of your option 2 settings you mention X1X should be sending 10bit to fix the lag in PC HDR Standard. So by having my PC output 8bit (SDR and HDR) to the TV introduce lag? What would the best TV modes or methods to reduce the lag? I would prefer to not use game mode as it makes the picture darker which I don't like.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
I think I am pretty dumb, but can the X1X Option 2 settings be used on a Pro (both SDR and HDR)? I read some replies before and got slightly confused. I just re-calibrated by 2017 OLED to all these settings, and it looks so good with Xbox One X games that I wanted to try them out for Pro but want to make sure they are OK.

Thanks for the amazing work P40L0 !

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I think I am pretty dumb, but can the X1X Option 2 settings be used on a Pro (both SDR and HDR)? I read some replies before and got slightly confused. I just re-calibrated by 2017 OLED to all these settings, and it looks so good with Xbox One X games that I wanted to try them out for Pro but want to make sure they are OK.

Yes.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Very happy with my b7a , 2ish years now i think. But if game mode gets significantly brighter by 2020, i might put it in a different room and get the newest one

Oct 27, 2017

They work fine, but the problem is that by default the Pro switches to YUV 422 in HDR, and you have to manually switch to YUV 420 in the resolution settings every time you want HDR, and switch it back for SDR. It doesn't allow you to choose the default like Xbox does.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
They work fine, but the problem is that by default the Pro switches to YUV 422 in HDR, and you have to manually switch to YUV 420 in the resolution settings every time you want HDR, and switch it back for SDR. It doesn't allow you to choose the default like Xbox does.

You mean setting RGB to limited, right?

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried different modes several times on my C7, but I never played a game for a longer time.
Yesterday I've compared how Metro Exodus looks in game mode and Technicolor mode and difference is really noticeable. I guess that ActiveHDR does make a difference.
I've tried these settings, tried running in pc mode (lag is lower), but picture just does not look right.

Is there anything else, or should I start thinking about upgrading my tv :) ?

Oct 27, 2017
You mean setting RGB to limited, right?
Nah, if you're doing option 2, you need YUV 420 selected (it's a resolution option on Pro) for HDR to avoid banding. If you have RGB or Auto selected, it will automatically switch to YUV 422 in HDR, which causes banding with option 2.

RGB full/limited is separate and should always be set to limited.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Nah, if you're doing option 2, you need YUV 420 selected (it's a resolution option on Pro) for HDR to avoid banding. If you have RGB or Auto selected, it will automatically switch to YUV 422 in HDR, which causes banding with option 2.

RGB full/limited is separate and should always be set to limited.

Alright man, duly noted:

When playing an HDR game: switch resolution to 2160p YUV 420
When playing an SDR game: swtich resolution to 2160p YUV 422/Automatic
Keep RGB on Limited

Oct 27, 2017
Alright man, duly noted:

When playing an HDR game: switch resolution to 2160p YUV 420
When playing an SDR game: swtich resolution to 2160p YUV 422/Automatic
Keep RGB on Limited
Yeah that's all! It's kind of a pain, would be nice if they'd just add an option to automatically switch to YUV 420 in HDR like the Xbox has.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah well, I don't mind at all. But I wonder, why not just let it stick on YUV 420? Or does that ruin SDR games?
That's a good question. RGB has more color/chroma information and uses more bandwidth, so it's technically better (current HDMI can't do RGB and HDR at the same time because there's not enough bandwidth). I'm not sure how much it really affects the picture on these TV's in SDR though. I was reading in the HDR games analysed thread that a lot of TV's may be down converting it to YUV internally anyway before anything is displayed so who knows lol.

I haven't really tested myself, but if SDR looks the same to you set to YUV 420 then it should fine.