• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
RGB Limited @ 8-bit provides a slightly better clarity and color accuracy compared to YUV420 @ 8-bit or 10-bit, but to me it's not worth the hassle of constantly manual switch color spaces between SDR and HDR/DV contents (especially considering those switches happens VERY often during mixed games/movies usage).

For this reason I would recommend sticking with 420 both for SDR and HDR when using Option 2 on PS4 Pro, and forget about changing settings, just enjoy contents.

Chris9999

May 12, 2019
new Firmware 5.80.35 is available (in engeering mode) with new DV Version (1.4.4_09.01)
Will that fit to the DV-File posted here?
Or is is better not to update....?

zzzyz36

Oct 23, 2018
watching some stranger things via the LG netflix app, cinema seems a bit dark and game seems a bit bright.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
Anyone played Just Cause 4 on Xbox one x? Plenty to choose from in gamma, brightness and hdd settings. All set to standard with Option 2 settings but I feel the picture is way off and too bright somehow? Perhaps it's supposed to look like that, I'm not sure. The game looks way ugly.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Playing around with Option 2 HDR on both my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro and I'm noticing that in games like Red Dead Redemption 2 (XBO) Horizon: Zero Dawn, when I use the PC input option, highlights get blown the hell out, especially in the sky. Is this to be expected, or is there some way to get around this? I really appreciate the increased brightness I get out of this mode, but at the expense of white detail I might just go back to Option 1.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Playing around with Option 2 HDR on both my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro and I'm noticing that in games like Red Dead Redemption 2 (XBO) Horizon: Zero Dawn, when I use the PC input option, highlights get blown the hell out, especially in the sky. Is this to be expected, or is there some way to get around this? I really appreciate the increased brightness I get out of this mode, but at the expense of white detail I might just go back to Option 1.
Yeah, this is how HDR Standard profile and generally Injectors tone map, but if you can set an in-game HDR Luminance to 2.000 nits and Paper White to 120 (with Option 2) highlights' clipping is very reduced, and the image is overall great.
Option 1 can be more accurate highlights wise, but High Dynamic Contrast can often lead to wrong colors and/or crushed blacks, while anything below High Dynamic Contrast may look too dim.
Option 2 results are more consistent, therefore is the better poison to pick to me.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Yeah, this is how HDR Standard profile and generally Injectors tone map, but if you can set an in-game HDR Luminance to 2.000 nits and Paper White to 120 (with Option 2) highlights' clipping is very reduced, and the image is overall great.
Option 1 can be more accurate highlights wise, but High Dynamic Contrast can often lead to wrong colors and/or crushed blacks, while anything below High Dynamic Contrast may look too dim.
Option 2 results are more consistent, therefore is the better poison to pick to me.
Thanks for the explanation! I'm leaning towards Option 2 being the lesser of two evils myself. Clipped highlights are far less distracting to me than a dimmer, oversaturated picture.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
P40L0 Is it correct the TV doesn't change inputs by itself when changing from HDR to SDR content?

On my PS4 Pro, I somehow like the console input/game mode better with SDR, but I like PC input (Option 2) better with HDR content. I've already selected to use these settings on all inputs but when I play Detroit Become Human (HDR game) and go back to Diablo 3 (SDR) game, the TV stays on PC input. Is that the wat it should work?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
P40L0 Is it correct the TV doesn't change inputs by itself when changing from HDR to SDR content?

On my PS4 Pro, I somehow like the console input/game mode better with SDR, but I like PC input (Option 2) better with HDR content. I've already selected to use these settings on all inputs but when I play Detroit Become Human (HDR game) and go back to Diablo 3 (SDR) game, the TV stays on PC input. Is that the wat it should work?
This is correct.
The TV will correctly and automatically handshake between SDR / HDR / Dolby Vision presets, but always within the HDMI Input icon we choose for that port (e.g. "Game Console" or "PC" input icon).

HDMI Input icons can only be switched manually.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
This is correct.
The TV will correctly and automatically handshake between SDR / HDR / Dolby Vision presets, but always within the HDMI Input icon we choose for that port (e.g. "Game Console" or "PC" input icon).

HDMI Input icons can only be switched manually.

Thanks. So best thing to do here is keep both on PC input.

I'm getting a feeling SDR option 2 is kinda dim. What is your stance on increasing the OLED light? Or is it better to change dynamic contrast?

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
We went from a 65" B6 to a 65" C9, and it is STUNNING. The picture was great to begin with, but the C9 is at another level. We put on the UHD for Pacific Rim and was floored at how it looked. Bring on HDMI 2.1, Microsoft!

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thanks. So best thing to do here is keep both on PC input.

I'm getting a feeling SDR option 2 is kinda dim. What is your stance on increasing the OLED light? Or is it better to change dynamic contrast?
For SDR Option 2, feel free to increase OLED Light in order to just increase luminance, but without losing accuracy.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thanks. This is helpful.

Edit: P40L0 Does this also count for console HDR gaming and WebOS DV content?
Nope, HDR OLED Light should stay at 100 (in order to provide the full High Dynamic Range that the TV is capable of) while DV OLED Light should stay at 50 for the same reason but different behaviour (or increased to 60 max in order to offset a general slightly dimmer PQ compared to HDR).

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Nope, HDR OLED Light should stay at 100 (in order to provide the full High Dynamic Range that the TV is capable of) while DV OLED Light should stay at 50 for the same reason but different behaviour (or increased to 60 max in order to offset a general slightly dimmer PQ compared to HDR).

Great, thanks again! :-)

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
We went from a 65" B6 to a 65" C9, and it is STUNNING. The picture was great to begin with, but the C9 is at another level. We put on the UHD for Pacific Rim and was floored at how it looked. Bring on HDMI 2.1, Microsoft!
Nice! Myself (C7) I'm waiting for next year if LG will roll out 8k to all of their Oled models next year. Even if there's really no 8k content available. But 8k should be a bit more future proof.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
So I try to calibrate an LG OLED 65 inch C97.
The Gamma Log is pretty off the charts, I do not use an isf workflow. I use the workflow provided by LG. Any tips? I use an VideoForge Pro and an SpectraCal C6.

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does the new update do(LGE7)? I haven't updated the television yet but it keeps prompting me to.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Interested to see how people will find the new system wide HDR calibration in the new PS4 beta system update on LG sets. Especially older sets now you can set values via the PS4

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
So I used Option 2 to calibrate my Xbox One S for SDR content.

So if I understand correctly, if I used the ISF dark room setting as mentioned in the profile settings, it should give me the same input lag as if I was in Game Mode?

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I own an LG C8, and have mostly been using it for PS4 and Switch. I want to give the Xbox One X more love especially now that I've got two years of Gamepass Ultimate.

But as picture settings go, the main problem I continue to have with the X is an overly dark picture (crushed blacks I believe). During light/daytime areas it's no problem at all, but when it's dark or I'm in a dark interior it often feels too dark. I confirmed this with the title screen for Outer Wilds, where a lot of the detail from the trees and smoke is lost in the black void.

As I understand it, Standard and PC RGB on the video settings refers to Full and Limited, right? As for what color depth to use, opinions seem to be all over the place. I also had my TV's gamma set to Medium, which seemed to factor in the overly dark image, so maybe I'll switch it to Low.

Anyway, I'd like some optimal settings. I don't have this problem on the PS4 Pro or anywhere else.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
P40L0 Quick question regarding sharpness: why is this at 0?

I was watching Wimbledon the other day, and sharpness 0 makes the little squares in the net indistinguishable. With sharpness at 10 for example, you could clearly make out all the finer details.

Watching football now. I can literally see the crowd getting more clear when I adjust the sharpness slider. That can't be a bad thing, right?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
P40L0 Quick question regarding sharpness: why is this at 0?

I was watching Wimbledon the other day, and sharpness 0 makes the little squares in the net indistinguishable. With sharpness at 10 for example, you could clearly make out all the finer details.

Watching football now. I can literally see the crowd getting more clear when I adjust the sharpness slider. That can't be a bad thing, right?
Sharpness at 10 (or even 20) is generally good for 720p and 1080p contents, as it improves sub-4K resolution contents' upscaling.

But for Native 4K sources (as X1X games or 4K video streaming), it could add oversharpening artefacts.
Sharpness at 0 was demonstrated as the "neutral" value that won't tamper with original content definition.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all,
Should I have Dynamic contrast on high for HDR game mode when using my PS4 Pro?

I'm on 05.80.35, I though there was a fix for the dimness in HDR mode that meant we shouldn't use dynamic contrast anymore?

Any help welcome :)

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
I own an LG C8, and have mostly been using it for PS4 and Switch. I want to give the Xbox One X more love especially now that I've got two years of Gamepass Ultimate.

But as picture settings go, the main problem I continue to have with the X is an overly dark picture (crushed blacks I believe). During light/daytime areas it's no problem at all, but when it's dark or I'm in a dark interior it often feels too dark. I confirmed this with the title screen for Outer Wilds, where a lot of the detail from the trees and smoke is lost in the black void.

As I understand it, Standard and PC RGB on the video settings refers to Full and Limited, right? As for what color depth to use, opinions seem to be all over the place. I also had my TV's gamma set to Medium, which seemed to factor in the overly dark image, so maybe I'll switch it to Low.

Anyway, I'd like some optimal settings. I don't have this problem on the PS4 Pro or anywhere else.
You need Standard, PC RGB is the equivalent of High which you should only use with an actual PC monitor.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean? All sources (console SDR, console HDR, WebOS SDR, WebOS DV) and corresponding recommended settings are in the OP.

Sorry i mean, if i change the input to PC input, will all the settings i just entered (they were all the option 1 settings) need changed to Option 2 because i changed the input to PC?

I guess what im trying to say is, if i change the setting to PC input, does that have an effect on every source?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Sorry i mean, if i change the input to PC input, will all the settings i just entered (they were all the option 1 settings) need changed to Option 2 because i changed the input to PC?

I guess what im trying to say is, if i change the setting to PC input, does that have an effect on every source?
All inputs have separate presets that could be independently set from each other.

This means that you can dial in all Option 1 settings for all profiles when using "Game Console" input icon, and still have all Option 2 profiles dialed in when switching to "PC" input icon.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

If you choose PC input on your console HDMI port, it will stay on PC input for everything on that particular port. But not all ports. For example you can put HDMI 1 on game console input and HDMI 2 on PC input and HDMI 3 on another input and it will stay like that.

In my case I have my TV settopbox on HDMI 1, so that's on WebOS SDR settings. My Netflix has WebOS SDR settings for non Dolby Vision content and WebOS Dolby Vision Settings for DV content.

HDMI 3 is my PS4 and that's on PC input option 2. SDR games are on option 2 settings and HDR games also.

Just remember to press Apply settings for all Inputs after setting up each one and it will memorize. So if I start an HDR game now, all settings will automatically go to the Xbox One HDR option 2 settings in the OP.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
If you choose PC input on your console HDMI port, it will stay on PC input for everything on that particular port. But not all ports. For example you can put HDMI 1 on game console input and HDMI 2 on PC input and HDMI 3 on another input and it will stay like that.

In my case I have my TV settopbox on HDMI 1, so that's on WebOS SDR settings. My Netflix has WebOS SDR settings for non Dolby Vision content and WebOS Dolby Vision Settings for DV content.

HDMI 3 is my PS4 and that's on PC input option 2. SDR games are on option 2 settings and HDR games also.

Just remember to press Apply settings for all Inputs after setting up each one and it will memorize. So if I start an HDR game now, all settings will automatically go to the Xbox One HDR option 2 settings in the OP.

Ahh right, sorry there is one important thing i didn't say.

I have an AV receiver, so my Apple TV, Switch and PS4 Pro all connect to that, and that connects to my TV. Everything will go to the TV via one HDMI.

So i can't have different port settings. I need to calibrate everything to use one port (which is what i did, but noticed that Dynamic contrast was set high for HDR game mode and i thought that with a recently update we were suppose to turn that off now?)

sorry for the confusion.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Ahh right, sorry there is one important thing i didn't say.

I have an AV receiver, so my Apple TV, Switch and PS4 Pro all connect to that, and that connects to my TV. Everything will go to the TV via one HDMI.

So i can't have different port settings. I need to calibrate everything to use one port (which is what i did, but noticed that Dynamic contrast was set high for HDR game mode and i thought that with a recently update we were suppose to turn that off now?)

sorry for the confusion.

Not sure how that will work exactly. I guess your TV just recognises the type of signal coming in and selects the correct setting. In that case everything is set to PC input, unless you want to manually change this everytime you're doing something else. ARC would be the ideal way, I assume.

I myself use ARC to my receiver and use all HDMI ports on my TV.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how that will work exactly. I guess your TV just recognises the type of signal coming in and selects the correct setting. In that case everything is set to PC input, unless you want to manually change this everytime you're doing something else. ARC would be the ideal way, I assume.

I myself use ARC to my receiver and use all HDMI ports on my TV.

I get you, but i'd rather keep things as they are because i'm just asking about one setting on one source.

All i really want to know is should dynamic contrast still be to high for HDR game mode in 05.80.35 ? I had heard after the last update this was suppose to be set to off.

P40L0

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I get you, but i'd rather keep things as they are because i'm just asking about one setting on one source.

All i really want to know is should dynamic contrast still be to high for HDR game mode in 05.80.35 ? I had heard after the last update this was suppose to be set to off.

P40L0

On console input it should be on high. On PC input it should be off.

PC input is the best one IMO. A lot brighter.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

P40L0
Option 1 (with DC High) is still proper with latest firmware, so you can basically try it and compare it to Option 2 (using PC Input icon) and just pick your preference.

Just don't forget to change in-game HDR settings as well between the two (also see the OP for details).

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
ok cool, cheers guys. Ill stick with the option 1 (but i might try out the pc input settings just to see).

also as an additional (probably stupid) question, does changing the oled light effect any of the other settings? Can i just increase that as i see fit and keep everything else as you stated or should i also use your numbers for that too?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
ok cool, cheers guys. Ill stick with the option 1 (but i might try out the pc input settings just to see).

also as an additional (probably stupid) question, does changing the oled light effect any of the other settings? Can i just increase that as i see fit and keep everything else as you stated or should i also use your numbers for that too?

As posted a couple posts above, you can dial in the recommended OLED Light settings and try increase/decrease it to your liking only for SDR, it won't hurt accuracy but only the luminance of SDR contents.
Avoid messing it around with HDR/DV.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
As posted a couple posts above, you can dial in the recommended OLED Light settings and try increase/decrease it to your liking only for SDR, it won't hurt accuracy but only the luminance of SDR contents.
Avoid messing it around with HDR/DV.

Understood, thanks for the clarification mate. Will just go with your settings for all HDR and DV.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

Option 2 is better if you want those bright HDR highlights.