• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
lgoled2019-1l.jpg

LG has unveiled its 2019 4K OLED TV line-up comprising C9, E9, and W9 with 4K resolution, and Z9 with 8K resolution. The TVs come with HDMI 2.1, improved gaming performance with VRR, an upgraded video processor, webOS updates, and "AI".

LG C9, E9, and W9 have 4K resolution and support for four HDR formats (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision and Advanced HDR).

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1546474656

HDMI VRR, lower input lag & improved motion
LG explains that the upgraded "second-generation Alpha 9" video processor has improved algorithms for color and motion.

This includes an upgraded black frame insertion system called 'OLED Motion Pro' that now operates at 100/120Hz (compared to 50/60Hz last year) and with shorter black frame cycle (25% vs. 50% last year). LG says the system eliminates flicker and maintains brightness, which were FlatpanelsHD's two main concerns with the BFI system in the 2018 LG OLED models. Other improvements include a separate "smooth gradation" picture setting that no longer reduces resolution.
Outside of VRR, the TVs will deliver 13 ms input lag (in 1080p and 4K HDR), LG tells FlatpanelsHD. This is probably the lowest input lag on a TV today, depending on what competitors have achieved this year. Lastly, LG said that all calibration settings are now available in the Game picture mode and that a new Game setting can be engaged for all picture modes in the TVs.
LG 2019 4K OLED - specifications

LG C9 (55, 65, 77"), E9 (55, 65") & W9 (65, 77")
4K OLED panel
Second-generation Alpha 9 video processor
HDMI 2.1 (4K120)
HDMI VRR, eARC and ALLM
AI Picture and AI Sound
4K Cinema HDR
Dolby Atmos
WiSA certified
ThinQ AI and webOS 4.5
Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Due for an upgrade but thought we wouldn't see anything like this until next year. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
That is a surprise. I wasn't expecting HDMI 2.1 to show up until the later half of the year at the earliest. It also makes LG's prior announcement of the new processor all the more baffling since it didn't mention any of the actually interesting features.

I guess now the wait begins for HDMI 2.1 source devices.

What's more interesting is that now we have 120Hz for OLED, which is good news for future phones.

As for the TV, it has my curiosity, but I'm more worried about the price tag.

Last year's OLEDs already supported 4K/120, just not via the HDMI port. But you could do 4K/120 from an SD card or an app.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That is a surprise. I wasn't expecting HDMI 2.1 to show up until the later half of the year at the earliest. It also makes LG's prior announcement of the new processor all the more baffling since it didn't mention any of the actually interesting features.

I guess now the wait begins for HDMI 2.1 source devices.

Last year's OLEDs already supported 4K/120, just not via the HDMI port. But you could do 4K/120 from an SD card or an app.
I recall that the 2018 Samsung TVs got VRR via an update, just not the other HDMI 2.1 changes.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Is it full VRR or only certain range like current Samsung?

What calibration settings are locked on my C8 for game mode?

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Wonderful to see input lag being advertised in the specs, assuming it's accurate! Means manufacturers are actually taking it seriously!

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Damn. Nice upgrade from my B7A. Will wait another few gens or so, but damn. I would have buyers remorse if the TV wasn't a year in a half old.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp... Time to re-evaluate my TV plans. I was ready to wait for 2020 because I thought it'd take till then for HDMI 2.1.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Damn. I'm still going to pull the trigger on this for Black Friday. Will convince everyone who usually gets me Christmas gifts to pool together to help subsidize the cost.

My only issue is that I currently prefer getting 40" models but I'm not going to pass this up.

Nov 8, 2017

Variable Refresh Rate. It allows the TV to display the frames as they come, even if they aren't perfectly synchronized with a 60 or 120hz interval.

If traditional devices could not put out frames at regular intervals (e.g. if there is performance slowdown / framerate drops), there were two possible outcomes. The first is "screen tearing", where they send out as much visual data as is available, which maybe a half drawn frame, and the rest of the frame is just repeated from the last one. The second is "judder", whereby if a new frame is not FULLY ready, then the system simply repeats the last frame entirely. This results in a jerky motion, even at high absolute framerates.

Variable refresh rate technology means that the screen can just output 57fps if that's what it's getting from the console with neither judder nor screen tearing. Note however that the device needs to support VRR, not just the TV. Older devices always convert to a 60hz or 120hz or whatever signal before outputting to the display, so the display has no way of "fixing" judder and screen tear unless the device itself has been programmed to support this tech (and has the necessary HDMI interface).

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
''Lastly, LG said that all calibration settings are now available in the Game picture mode and that a new Game setting can be engaged for all picture modes in the TVs.''
As a B7 owner this makes me a little bit angry. Just patch those options in for the old TVs. It can't be this hard.

Sim

Oct 25, 2017
Less than a frame of input latency and VRR. I was honestly not expecting to replace my 930e this soon.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Variable Refresh Rate. It allows the TV to display the frames as they come, even if they aren't perfectly synchronized with a 60 or 120hz interval.

If traditional devices could not put out frames at regular intervals (e.g. if there is performance slowdown / framerate drops), there were two possible outcomes. The first is "screen tearing", where they send out as much visual data as is available, which maybe a half drawn frame, and the rest of the frame is just repeated from the last one. The second is "judder", whereby if a new frame is not FULLY ready, then the system simply repeats the last frame entirely. This results in a jerky motion, even at high absolute framerates.

Variable refresh rate technology means that the screen can just output 57fps if that's what it's getting from the console with neither judder nor screen tearing.
In other words, a massive game changer.

OP
OP
GeoNeo

GeoNeo

Oct 26, 2017
What's more interesting is that now we have 120Hz for OLED, which is good news for future phones.

The panels have been native 120Hz for many years just you could not feed them a 4K 120Hz HDMI input due to limitation of the old spec last years model you could playback 4K 120Hz media via USB and even hook up a PC and play at 1080p 120Hz. If I recall Samsung AMOLED in phones are native 120Hz just don't support the refresh rate due to controller. I'm sure we will see VRR 120Hz AMOLED phones soon.

Oct 25, 2017
I got the C8 65" last year coulnd't wait for this but what an upgrade. Anone looking to get an OLED will be in for a treat.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL @ EVERYONE who said there was NO WAY 2019 OLEDs would be HDMI2.1. What a fucking slap in the face. I'm in for a 55" C9.

Volo

Oct 26, 2017
Fantastic - I'll be looking for the C9/B9 models over the next year or two for the new console generation.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a great set, they're doing some amazing stuff.
Now let's see how they continue to improve burn in and max luminance. That's what I'm really interested in.

Nov 8, 2017
In other words, a massive game changer.

I don't think much will change at first, but in 5 years time it would be really cool to have options for developers where they could just target 40fps as their normal output instead of 30 or 60. Or they target 60 but drops to 55 don't matter much anymore. Or Switch 2.0 games where they run 60fps docked but have a 45fps portable mode that retains really good IQ and effects.

Portables in general could theoretically benefit a lot here too. The screen running at lower refresh rates or higher refresh rates based on content can, as apple has done on their iPad pros, help optimize battery life while also offering smoother experiences in some contexts. 30fps games only run the screen at half refresh rate, but menus can jump back up to 60. Or there could be explicit "Battery saver mode" options for games that you flick on in the menu where a 60fps game caps to 50fps but you get 20% more battery life on that title as a result.

Eliminating judder/tearing is awesome, I have had a G-sync monitor for something like 3 years now, but there are other options that are exciting beyond just correcting these imperfections!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know the VRR window on these?

Hopefullly it'll actually be useful for console gaming, unlike the 2018 Samsungs.