• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Buy a 2018 LG OLED (the C8 probably has the best price/performance ratio of any TV on the market)if you are satisfied with a PS4 Pro and a regular Xbox One (not an X1X, because that is HDMI 2.1 compliant)

If, however, you have the intention of getting a Next-gen console and playing well into the next decade you should wait for an HDMI 2.1 TV.

Enthusiasts have been waiting years for this moment, which is probably why this thread is 16 pages long and counting.

If you are price sensitive, you can wait one more year once the 2020 top emission OLEDs are unveiled and then get a screaming deal on a C9 because the 10 series should be a big upgrade and so demand for the 2019 LG OLEDs should tank at that time.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Yeah and for current ones as well, price is quite low at the moment.
If you're buying with next gen in mind wait until 2020 or 2021. A major panel upgrade like we haven't seen in years is rumoured for next year. In terms of picture quality that's huge plus you'll obviously get HDMI 2.1 next year too. So definitely hold off if you are buying with next gen in mind.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
If you're buying with next gen in mind wait until 2020 or 2021. A major panel upgrade like we haven't seen in years is rumoured for next year. In terms of picture quality that's huge plus you'll obviously get HDMI 2.1 next year too. So definitely hold off if you are buying with next gen in mind.
Source?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If you are price sensitive, you can wait one more year once the 2020 top emission OLEDs are unveiled and then get a screaming deal on a C9 because the 10 series should be a big upgrade and so demand for the 2019 LG OLEDs should tank at that time.
What big upgrade in quality are you expecting? Image quality? Features are essentially all locked in when you get full 2.1 specs.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
https://www.google.com/search?q=top...id-sonymobile&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

It's merely speculation. The only concrete information there is is that top-emission OLED will have to be used for 8K OLEDs since they need it to achieve current models brightness levels.

https://www.oled-info.com/dscc-lgd-will-start-mass-producing-top-emission-oled-tv-panels-2019

You can speculate that this will also be used on smaller models either increasing brightness by around 10% or improving longevity of the pixels.
I did say it was rumoured. I never said official.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm asking if I should wait for the 2019 model and pay a higher price or buy the current one if it'll pretty much look the same?
120Hz variable refresh rate is a big difference from a 60Hz fixed refresh rate.
There will of course be improvements in newer models, as there always are, but those HDMI 2.1 features are the most significant change for gaming in a very long time.
Once you are used to a VRR display, you will not want to use a fixed refresh rate display again.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017

LG WOLED have always used a bottom emission panel structure. Sometime this year LG is going to do a 100% redesign on the panel structure to a top emission panel.

This will bring, among other things, higher nits, increased color volume, better burn-in resistance and more.

Some consider it to be the final death blow to LCD tvs and it should be available in next year's 10 series LG OLEDS.

Just in time for PS5 and Xbox Scarlett :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oled-info.com/dscc-lgd-will-start-mass-producing-top-emission-oled-tv-panels-2019?amp

Last edited:

FJimbonda

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe I'm a minority but I've had a terrible experience with OLED tvs. Replaced two in a space of a year because of burn in. I just don't want to deal with them anymore, constantly worrying what I'm watching and if the picture is static etc. Not worth the image quality for me.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
LG WOLED have always used a bottom emission panel structure. Sometime this year LG is going to do a 100% redesign on the panel structure to a top emission panel.
This will bring, among other things, higher nits, increased color volume, better burn-in resistance and more.
Some consider it to be the final death blow to LCDs pane and it should be available in next year's 10 series LG OLEDS.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ol...roducing-top-emission-oled-tv-panels-2019?amp
It will be a nice improvement, but anyone saying that is seriously exaggerating - especially when it's projected to be a 10% improvement. µLED (MicroLED) is the LCD killer, not OLED.
Sony's OLEDs have been using top emission (actually their improved "Super Top Emission" technology) for more than a decade now, so it's not like this is a brand new panel technology.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018

Some consider it to be the final death blow to LCDs pane and it should be available in next year's 10 series LG OLEDS.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ol...roducing-top-emission-oled-tv-panels-2019?amp
And because of this if you're buying a TV with next gen gaming in mind you'd be crazy not to wait until next year's models. This year's upgrades are looking awesome but I want them coupled with next year's for my ideal set. HDMI 2.1 and super low input lag is gtewt. Coupled with a high emission set, perfect!

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
It's merely speculation. The only concrete information there is is that top-emission OLED will have to be used for 8K OLEDs since they need it to achieve current models brightness levels.

https://www.oled-info.com/dscc-lgd-will-start-mass-producing-top-emission-oled-tv-panels-2019

You can speculate that this will also be used on smaller models either increasing brightness by around 10% or improving longevity of the pixels.

That link is from October 2017. I read more recent information somewhere that top emission will increase the aperture ratio from the current 30% to 80%, representing a 2x-3x increase in efficiency.

If true, where LG Display choose to use that increased efficiency is anyone's guess. Samsung is pushing the burn-in fud narrative pretty hard lately so I kinda doubt the switch to top emission is going to go fully towards a 2x-3x increase in brightness when some of that additional efficiency could go towards burn-in mitigation and longer lifetimes.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
That link is from October 2017. I read more recent information somewhere that top emission will increase the aperture ratio from the current 30% to 80%, representing a 2x-3x increase in efficiency.

If true, where LG Display choose to use that increased efficiency is anyone's guess. Samsung is pushing the burn-in fud narrative pretty hard lately so I kinda doubt the switch to top emission is going to go fully towards a 2x-3x increase in brightness when some of that additional efficiency could go towards burn-in mitigation and longer lifetimes.
That link is a proper source to actually go off on. Where did you read about a 2x to 3x increase in efficiency?

As Pargon pointed out Sony's reference OLEDs already use top emission OLEDs and they only go up to 1000 nits.

alfredo_V

Oct 25, 2017
Buy a 2018 LG OLED (the C8 probably has the best price/performance ratio of any TV on the market)if you are satisfied with a PS4 Pro and a regular Xbox One (not an X1X, because that is HDMI 2.1 compliant)

If, however, you have the intention of getting a Next-gen console and playing well into the next decade you should wait for an HDMI 2.1 TV.

Enthusiasts have been waiting years for this moment, which is probably why this thread is 16 pages long and counting.

Good post.
From what I'm reading 2019 OLEDs don't come with any major changes panel-wise, compared to 2018 OLEDs. It's the other features that changes quite a bit. Also what actual value will VRR bring to next gen console owners? MS/Sony will still be targeting 30/60fps (most probably) and game developers have the choice of optimizing their games ofc with VRR in mind. For example, with unlocked framerate between 30-60fps VRR could make this a stutterfree experience in theory. But this are factors we don't know yet before nextgen arrives and how VRR is utilized. Going to be interesting how it plays out next years.

My point is it may be wiser waiting for 2020 models for a possibly bigger change to the panel, next gen consoles will probably not arrive before that - if you are to invest in a new set.

Also, I hope near black uniformity improves in this years or 2020 model, something I feel is the achilles heel of mine LGB7.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
It will be a nice improvement, but anyone saying that is seriously exaggerating - especially when it's projected to be a 10% improvement. µLED (MicroLED) is the LCD killer, not OLED.
Sony's OLEDs have been using top emission (actually their improved "Super Top Emission" technology) for more than a decade now, so it's not like this is a brand new panel technology.

No one in the world knows how to mass produce mLED or electroluminescent QD-LEDs currently, and by the time they do, that ship would've already sailed.

In 2018, LGD shipped 2.9 million OLED TVS and they project to ship 4 million TVs in 2019. LG, by themselves, already command a 50% market share of high end TVs.

By mid decade the dominant TV technology won't be mLED/QD-LEDS and it won't be LCDS, it'll be OLED TVS. LG already own the high end and they are slowly squeezing LCDS out the low end as they continue to increase volume, which in turn allows them to reduce prices each year and enables them to slowly saturate the mass market.

And really, are you going to bring Sony's professional rgbOLED BVM monitors into this discussion?

Really?

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
No one in the world knows how to mass produce mLED or electroluminescent QD-LEDs currently and by the time they do that ship would've already sailed.

In 2018 LGD shipped 2.9 million OLED TVS and they project to ship 4 million TVs in 2019. LG, by themselves, already command a 50% market share of high end TVs.

By mid decade the dominant TV technology won't be mLED/QD-LEDS and it won't be LCDS, it'll be OLED TVS. LG already own the high end and they are slowly squeezing LCDS out the low end as they continue to increase volume, which in turn allows them to reduce prices each year and enables them to slowly saturate the mass market.

And really, are you going to bring Sony's professional rgbOLED BVM monitors into this discussion?

Really?
Good Post but do those OLED shipments include the panels they produce for Sony and anyone else that uses them? It's great to see OLED sales increase a lot. 2020 and 2021 sales will surely go through the roof as people upgrade for the PS5.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
That link is a proper source to actually go off on. Where did you read about a 2x to 3x increase in efficiency?

As Pargon pointed out Sony's reference OLEDs already use top emission OLEDs and they only go up to 1000 nits.

No!

Sony's consumer OLEDS are not top emission, they are WOLEDS sourced from LG Display.

https://www.oled-info.com/sony-oled

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...14222986/sony-bravia-oled-lg-display-ces-2017

The Sonys he is talking about are the professional rgbOLED BVM monitors used by film editors and colorist.

Like this one
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758921-REG/Sony_BVM_E250_BVM_E250_Trimaster_EL_OLED.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGidj3MG61sZL2K63uINvyns1elTTMPabTHaADE0xI8rbesLnzS-mEYQaApbaEALw_wcB&lsft=BI:514&smp=Y

And this one

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/broadcastpromonitors/bvm-x300-v2

Last edited:

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Thanks guys, think I'll buy the Sony A8F this year and then upgrade a 2-3 years down the line.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

No, Sony's consumer OLED TVs are not top emissive.
Thanks guys, think I'll buy the Sony A8F this year and then upgrade a 2-3 years down the line.
You like high input lag?

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Sony's consumer OLEDS are not top emission, they are WOLEDS sourced from LG Display.

The Sony's he is talking about are the professional rgbOLED monitors used by film editors and colorist.

Like this one
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758921-REG/Sony_BVM_E250_BVM_E250_Trimaster_EL_OLED.html/?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQiA68bhBRCKARIsABYUGidj3MG61sZL2K63uINvyns1elTTMPabTHaADE0xI8rbesLnzS-mEYQaApbaEALw_wcB&lsft=BI:514&smp=Y

And this one

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/broadcastpromonitors/bvm-x300-v2
Yes, the reference OLEDs like I said. Did you find a source for the 2x to 3x brightness increase yet?

No, Sony's consumer OLED TVs are not top emissive.

Yes. I did not write consumer OLEDs.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Good post.
From what I'm reading 2019 OLEDs don't come with any major changes panel-wise, compared to 2018 OLEDs. It's the other features that changes quite a bit. Also what actual value will VRR bring to next gen console owners? MS/Sony will still be targeting 30/60fps (most probably) and game developers have the choice of optimizing their games ofc with VRR in mind. For example, with unlocked framerate between 30-60fps VRR could make this a stutterfree experience in theory. But this are factors we don't know yet before nextgen arrives and how VRR is utilized. Going to be interesting how it plays out next years.

My point is it may be wiser waiting for 2020 models for a possibly bigger change to the panel, next gen consoles will probably not arrive before that - if you are to invest in a new set.

Also, I hope near black uniformity improves in this years or 2020 model, something I feel is the achilles heel of mine LGB7.

Yeah, it seems that there are no changes to the panel structure (except for a new anti-reflective screen layer) so the Alpha9 v2 processor is the biggest change this year.

I actually think next year's panels will be the sweet spot and should be the perfect time to jump in.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Yes, the reference OLEDs like I said. Did you find a source for the 2x to 3x brightness increase yet?

Yes. I did not write consumer OLEDs.

My source is buried somewhere in that 511 page oled thread on avsforum. It will take me a while to find it.

Are you implying a top emission Sony rgbOLED PRO panel used to author motion pictures and a top emission WOLED consumer panel to be used in TVs sold at places like Costco are at all related to each other?

Forgive me, as I somehow missed the distinction!

Also

If we want really want to play the who shot Han first game, OLED diode technology was invented by researchers at the Eastman Kodak company in 1987. Chemists, Ching W Tang and Steven Van Slyke. LG Display in turn, bought the WOLED technology patents from Eastman Kodak in 2009. You will notice this predates any Sony reference OLED monitors, which by comparison, aren't really new technology either.

Last edited:

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
My source is buried somewhere in that 511 page oled thread on avsforum. It will take me a while to find it.

Are you implying a top emission Sony rgbOLED PRO panel used to author motion pictures and a top emission WOLED consumer panel to be used in TVs sold at places like Costco are at all related to each other?

Forgive me, as I somehow missed the distinction!
Thank you for looking for the source.

Yes. They are related to each other as they will be using the same type of OLED emission. Speaking solely of brightness output capability they can be compared. Sony's reference grade OLEDs have been hitting an easy 1000 nits and I think the switch to top emissive OLEDs will do the same for customer panels but not much beyond that. It'll be a nice upgrade but nothing huge compared to the year over year tweaks we've already seen so far. Would obviously love to be wrong but I'm not seeing anything that suggests otherwise. If LG truly had 2x - 3x effiency increase on the roadmap as early as next year we would've heard something about it.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Good Post but do those OLED shipments include the panels they produce for Sony and anyone else that uses them? It's great to see OLED sales increase a lot. 2020 and 2021 sales will surely go through the roof as people upgrade for the PS5.

Those numbers represent the total production volume of LG Display. Sony, Panasonic, Philips, B&O and even LG themselves (don't ask, it's complicated) all buy WOLED panels sourced from LG Display.

As a somewhat related aside, Panasonic shipped 200k woled TVs in 2018 and they are increasing this to 300k in 2019.

Sony shipped 500k woled TVs in 2018 and plan to increase this to 850k in 2019

Last edited:

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Thank you for looking for the source.

Yes. They are related to each other as they will be using the same type of OLED emission. Speaking solely of brightness output capability they can be compared. Sony's reference grade OLEDs have been hitting an easy 1000 nits and I think the switch to top emissive OLEDs will do the same for customer panels but not much beyond that. It'll be a nice upgrade but nothing huge compared to the year over year tweaks we've already seen so far. Would obviously love to be wrong but I'm not seeing anything that suggests otherwise. If LG truly had 2x - 3x effiency increase on the roadmap as early as next year we would've heard something about it.
I will try to get that to you.

If I'm honest, I secretly wish Samsung could bring self-emitting QD-QLED to market as that is the perfect display on paper.

Sadly WOLED is probably the closest we will ever get.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Dat specs :o
giphy.gif

How I'm feeling. Will def change my screen. By the time they come out widely in UK will have a better idea of price and model to go for.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
By mid decade the dominant TV technology won't be mLED/QD-LEDS and it won't be LCDS, it'll be OLED TVS.

That seems next to impossible from a pure production capacity standpoint. OLED is only about 1% of the total TV market of new TVs. Even with infinite demand I don't think it is possible to bring enough supply to dominate the market within the next decade.

LG already own the high end

They have 21% market share in premium TVs vs 48% for Samsung. Samsung's share was increasing faster than LG's last quarter
http://www.businesskorea.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=26831

and they are slowly squeezing LCDS out the low end as they continue to increase volume, which in turn allows them to reduce prices each year and enables them to slowly saturate the mass market.

This is what average TV price and size looks like:

W6ZAfDh.png

The average size is less than LG's smallest OLED. The average selling price is around 1/3 of what LG's cheapest OLED sells for at the end of the year it is released. How exactly is OLED squeezing the low end?

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
seeing so much conflicting information RE: 2019 vs 2020 upgrades.

i don't think it's worth it for me to stick with my 42'' 1080p LCD for another year when i can jump into a 2.1 OLED this year. it's mostly for mixed use (TV, movies and games) and people already rave about the current panels sooo...

Mandrion

Oct 28, 2017
I will try to get that to you.

If I'm honest, I secretly wish Samsung could bring self-emitting QD-QLED to market as that is the perfect display on paper.

Sadly WOLED is probably the closest we will ever get.

I searched and found this:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...ogy-advancements-thread-494.html#post56313894
https://www.oled-info.com/researche...rray-can-increase-light-output-oleds-factor-3

Although this isnt about top emission directly.

BTW LG already showed off a 1400 nits OLED back in 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffSp1d4B9WI

Samsungs Hybrid OLED should also be very interesting:

https://www.oled-info.com/more-details-emerge-samsungs-qd-oled-tv-plans
DrVaan2UUAEmgc9.jpg

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know that I'd call it a "hybrid" OLED display - it's very similar to LG's WOLED design.
LG are using white OLED material with RGB color filters, passing through white.
That display uses blue OLED material with RG quantum dot color filters and passes through blue.

It's the same idea in principle, except that quantum dot color filters transform blue light to pure red/green light, while traditional color filters generate red/green/blue light by blocking the other wavelengths from a white light source - which is far less efficient.

The concern here would be how good a blue they would be able to achieve, and what its longevity would be.
My understanding was that most of the blue OLED material that had been developed with a long life was not ideal for use in HDTVs due to its color, and that this is partly why LG opted for a WOLED design, but it's possible that this has been solved now.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Dont know if this has been posted yet but LG confirmed that ALL HDMI ports on LG OLEDs will be HDMI 2.1.

Update: LG has confirmed to FlatpanelsHD that all HDMI ports in the 2019 OLED models are full 48 Gb/s HDMI 2.1 ports capable of supporting 4K120 with HDR inputs. Some features will be added through a firmware update after launch.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1546474656

welp, running out of reasons NOT to buy this lol

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Dont know if this has been posted yet but LG confirmed that ALL HDMI ports on LG OLEDs will be HDMI 2.1.

Update: LG has confirmed to FlatpanelsHD that all HDMI ports in the 2019 OLED models are full 48 Gb/s HDMI 2.1 ports capable of supporting 4K120 with HDR inputs. Some features will be added through a firmware update after launch.

Glad for the confirmation. I really want one of these OLEDs.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝

Hmm... wonder what features will be added after launch. Hopefully we can get clarification on that. If it's something minor like quick media switching or auto game mode I'm fine with that but if it's regarding one of the bigger upgrades than that could be a bad sign. I remember when the B6 got HDR game mode later and it turned out to be dimmer than the other modes. I really need thorough reviews of these TVs asap.

But 4K120 + HDR being confirmed is great news. I know it's a minor thing but 4K120 + HDR was never explicitly mentioned together anywhere so I was paranoid about it not being supported.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
welp, running out of reasons NOT to buy this lol
I think it being the first implementation, I'd rather them work out the kinks and issues that typically come with first gen. I'm definitely all in on a second gen unit in 2020 which supposedly will have a shift in OLED display tech.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think it being the first implementation, I'd rather them work out the kinks and issues that typically come with first gen. I'm definitely all in on a second gen unit in 2020 which supposedly will have a shift in OLED display tech.

I usually hate being a first adopter, but I don't think my aging TV will last another year :/

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
The first shipments of 2019 OLEDs will go fast, HDMI 2.1 thirst is real. Did Best Buy do pre orders for the C8 last year?

Oct 25, 2017
What will quench the thirst there's no Netflix/Prime/4k BluRay content tot take advantage of it? It will take time for content providers to take advantage.

Oct 27, 2017
The 2018 LG OLEDS cannot be retrofitted to HDMI 2.1, if that's what you are implying.

Part of the HDMI Forum spec is that product families are firmware upgradeable (and this is non-negotiable and a condition of receiving the HDMI certification and logo) - obviously they can't get the full spec, but they could receive some features should the manufacturer desire.