• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raydonn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm thinking of getting buzzed/drunk and texting my brother the "news" (that I'm gay, for those who haven't been following my story). The other day, I had my message all typed out, but just couldn't hit the send button. I need some liquid courage. Before I typed my message, he facetiously texted me a news article about younger brothers usually being the gay one (I'm the older one) and I took that as a sign that I need to do it.

Hopefully I'll do it by Sunday :-/
If you're sure you want to do it, but are too scared to do it yourself... Perhaps telling someone else that knows about you to text him would help you force it out?
That way, your finger won't be on the trigger button, but it's guaranteed that he'll know and hopefully it'll force open some dialogue?

But once again, only if you're totally sure.

Either that, or text him something less intimidating, like "I wasn't sure before, but I think I might like other dudes now. Guys can be so hot sometimes."

Anyhow, hoping for the best!

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
If you're sure you want to do it, but are too scared to do it yourself... Perhaps telling someone else that knows about you to text him would help you force it out?
That way, your finger won't be on the trigger button, but it's guaranteed that he'll know and hopefully it'll force open some dialogue?

But once again, only if you're totally sure.

Either that, or text him something less intimidating, like "I wasn't sure before, but I think I might like other dudes now. Guys can be so hot sometimes."

Anyhow, hoping for the best!

Thanks for the advise. But I'll probably just tell him directly. If things got messy, I don't want anyone else involved. Also, if I said anything like "guys can be hot," I don't think he would take me seriously. The first line of my text to him is "I'm about to be 100% serious right now...." lol. I don't want to leave any room for humor or misunderstanding.

ANYWAY....

Question: as far as the topic of dating is concerned, do you guys just stick to this thread, or the dating thread in the main forum? Because I had a question that I wanted to ask and I started typing it in the dating thread, and then realized that since this was about two guys, it might not be as relatable as if the situation was with a guy and a girl.

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Thanks for the advise. But I'll probably just tell him directly. If things got messy, I don't want anyone else involved. Also, if I said anything like "guys can be hot," I don't think he would take me seriously. The first line of my text to him is "I'm about to be 100% serious right now...." lol. I don't want to leave any room for humor or misunderstanding.

ANYWAY....

Question: as far as the topic of dating is concerned, do you guys just stick to this thread, or the dating thread in the main forum? Because I had a question that I wanted to ask and I started typing it in the dating thread, and then realized that since this was about two guys, it might not be as relatable as if the situation was with a guy and a girl.

You'd probably have better luck in here. I've seen a few questions about same-sex stuff in that thread that never got answered, probably because they felt like they didn't have the experience necessary answer them or something, I imagine.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
So......I finally did it. Texted my brother. And I wasn't drunk either! lol I was out and had a sudden urge to just do it....and I did. It was so weird because he texted me literally right as I was about to send him the text.

I haven't looked at my phone yet (in fact, I turned it off as soon as I saw that the text was delivered) so.....I don't know how he reacted yet. I'm just not ready for an immediate reaction, so I'll know soon.

I definitely didn't feel like I was ready. But I sort of felt like one of those mother birds that just throws the baby bird out of the nest and forces the baby to learn how to fly. But in this case, I flung myself....and I'm just going to make make myself be ready. I secretly hope that he just tells our parents, because that's just one less conversation I have to have.

But anyway....he knows.

You'd probably have better luck in here. I've seen a few questions about same-sex stuff in that thread that never got answered, probably because they felt like they didn't have the experience necessary answer them or something, I imagine.

Heh, I figured.

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
How is everyone handling their cabin fever?

Pretty well, actually. I worked from home before any of this mess began and I was always pretty much a homebody anyways, so not a whole lot has changed for me.

The only big downside so far is the impact on my sex life lol. All the guys I normally hook up with are self-isolating and I don't really trust anyone else not to have it.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Pretty well, actually. I worked from home before any of this mess began and I was always pretty much a homebody anyways, so not a whole lot has changed for me.

The only big downside so far is the impact on my sex life lol. All the guys I normally hook up with are self-isolating and I don't really trust anyone else not to have it.

I was already a bit of an introvert so this wasn't a massive change to my daily routine.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Yay so my brother says that he's "100% fine with it" and that he'll always support me. I don't think it has quite hit me yet. Still feels surreal that now one of my family members knows and is OK with it. But this definitely makes telling my mom and dad a bit easier (I'll probably text them too, lol)

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What eventually got me around to coming out was telling myself that if people were going to bail out of my life after the fact, then they weren't truly worth having in my life beforehand. Admittedly it was harder to come out to friends but after the first one it just rolled out from there.

Its cruddy yeah. There's only one ex that i've completely cut out of my life. After we broke up he twisted up an entire story in an attempt to spread negative things about me. Problem is most of the circles he ran around all knew me as well, and anyone that did believe him I didn't really know mariah carey style. Unfortunately he burned all of his bridges in town and now lives in California.

My last Ex...probably hear more about him than the other way around. I'm sure there's nary a corner of the Eagle he hasn't had sex in publicly.

-----------------------

In other news as of this weekend I have been dating this amazing guy for 6 months. Taking our time and really enjoying ourselves.

You guys look very cute together and that doggo's facial expression is gold.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
So here's the question that I wanted to ask in the general dating thread:

So I met this guy and we were fooling around and whatnot. I wasn't really feeling him, but.....we have soooooooo many things in common that it was freaky. TV, movies, video games, personal life crap, etc. I know when you don't wanna date someone, you say that you just "want to be friends." I REALLY would like if this guy and I were actually just friends.

Has anyone ever done this with another guy? We haven't texted since he came over, but I really want to hang out with him again...just as buddies.

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019

So I met this guy and we were fooling around and whatnot. I wasn't really feeling him, but.....we have soooooooo many things in common that it was freaky. TV, movies, video games, personal life crap, etc. I know when you don't wanna date someone, you say that you just "want to be friends." I REALLY would like if this guy and I were actually just friends.

Has anyone ever done this with another guy? We haven't texted since he came over, but I really want to hang out with him again...just as buddies.

Yeah it's fairly common. About 50% of the guys Ive played with ended up being good friends platonically. Just gotta tell em what you want. Either they're on board or they'll move on 🤷‍♀️

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI

Yes, this is a pretty common occurrence. Just make sure you clarify, plainly and directly, that you only wanna be friends with the guy so there'll be no mixed signals or miscommunications.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017

What the two posters above said. This is pretty common, whether or not the other person wants that will be a discussion y'all have.

One of the neat things about LGBTQ relationships is they're not the "social norm", and thus the usual "rules" to society's views on relationships are pretty flexible if not broken for some.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Well that didn't go as planned :-/

He said he isn't looking for friends and was like "it's me that was the clown for even coming over. Sorry." ("me" as in referring to himself)

Alrighty then

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well that didn't go as planned :-/

He said he isn't looking for friends and was like "it's me that was the clown for even coming over. Sorry." ("me" as in referring to himself)

Alrighty then

Dont let that stop you in the future from asking someone to be friends if you are not interested romantically. Some people get weird about it but I've met some pretty great people otherwise

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If he was meeting you thinking it was a date then he's gonna feel rejection and "I just wanna be friends" is like, THE "I'm not interested" line.

It may work out sometimes, but I've used that line when I wanna let people down easy.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Brother is guilting me into coming back. I know they just want my money but at least I can see my cat today and I'll still have some stability and freedom.

Edit: Spoke too soon. I mistakenly believed I could fit my sis in law's criteria for returning.

Last edited:

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
So is there like some law that the hotter person, the stranger their situation is? First I had the hot guy who was a god damned felon, and I'm chatting with this other guy (he's not from Grindr so this is more of a "hopefully this could be long term" sort of thing).

His situation: he's not out to his parents. But here's the kicker: he has already been married! Like...he kept that secret from his parents! My mind was blown when he told me that. How is that even possible??? lol But for context, his father is Muslim and he was raised in Lebanon. So, I guess I get it. I mean, I'm not out to my parents or friends YET so technically he's more out than me, lol. But anyway, he's awesome so far. There's a little bit of distance between us, but that's no issue.

I thought I was scaring him off when I told him that I wasn't out to my parents. lol

I mean, I'm practically brand new to the dating world and I guess it's just a fact of life that everybody's gonna have SOMETHING going on. But this guy is definitely a keeper. I hope we hit it off so I can delete Grindr lol

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Indeed - it's obviously the least of our concerns given the fact that we're in the middle of a pandemic, but it does suck it's going to be two weeks since I last met the guy I'm seeing 😕

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
Me and my guy video chatting often throughout the weekend. I now have to watch what I say because "I wanna see that purdy mug" will have him facetiming me as I look a mess in a crater of a room XD May have to do some spring cleaning and grooming tomorrow to make do.

I casually mentioned going to see him weekend after next. While it would be nice and I'm missing him something fierce things around us are probably not going to get better that fast. Definitely would feel irresponsible making that 2 hour trip.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
So I told my parents. It wasn't the worse thing in the world but it definitely wasn't the best thing. I don't want to get into details. All I know is that I have a bottle of captain morgan and I'm sad. I don't want to do anything stupid

Nigthwizard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica
So I told my parents. It wasn't the worse thing in the world but it definitely wasn't the best thing. I don't want to get into details. All I know is that I have a bottle of captain morgan and I'm sad. I don't want to do anything stupid
I'm so sorry, I hope things get better with your parents, at least you got it out of your chest, you should be proud of that.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
OK, I'm fine. Just a little emotional. I'm apparently more of an emotional person than I thought.

edit: additional drama deleted

Last edited:

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Hi all - sorry to bug you with this, but I would really love some new perspectives.

I'm bi, but more romantically oriented towards women. I know biphobia and bi-diminishment are serious problems. However, I'm also a cis white male. I find myself equating my queerness, such as it is, with my race and gender: my problems aren't that bad, and don't deserve much time in the spotlight (if any) because of my massive privilege.

It's a white male's world. I'm keenly aware of that, and work hard to help progressives in my life maintain perspective when they describe problems like feeling crappy because a trans person chewed them out for misgendering them. I'll tell them, yes, I get that it was an accident, no, our language doesn't have the words to call out to a stranger who forgot their coffee without using gendered language, yes, it sucks that you had to deal with an emotional slap in the face; but it's incredibly important for people to call out misgendering when it occurs so that cis folk understand how significant a problem cisnormativity is; it's often incredibly triggering and traumatic when it happens to people for a variety of obvious reasons, and while I empathize with you, your repeated attempts to argue that the trans person was in the wrong because you feel they were disrespectful is pretty much the definition of white whine from a cisgender perspective.

That example is a conversation I had with a friend a couple of days ago. That's how I try to maintain my/our perspective when it comes to discussions not sufficiently mindful of white/male/cis privilege.

I only started identifying as bi a little while ago. Previously, I thought of myself as a kinky straight guy. But I increasingly found myself coming out and defending bisexuality in discussions; typically on dates with women, when conversation partners expressed negative opinions towards bisexual men. Those conversations happened often enough that I became comfortable identifying as a bi man. It feels right, and I don't feel like I'm inappropriately co-opting a minority status, or taking up space in the LGBTQ2IA+ community that ought to go to people for whom one of those letters denotes real struggle.

That being said, any time I read about bisexual issues that don't also apply to gay people, it feels like white whine. If one is bi, but appears straight to the world, one's struggles with self-identity or others not taking one's sexuality seriously just feel like they distract from the real, hard, viscous homophobia that we simply don't experience if we're not, or have never been, in same-sex relationships.

And I know that's bullshit. I know that bi-diminishment is wrong, and that the social and personal struggles of bisexual folk are every bit as valid and worthy of discourse as anyone else in the queer community. I know that, but I don't feel it. Talking about bisexual issues to other queer people feels like talking about white issues to people of colour, or cis issues to trans folk.

I think discourse regarding this topic is valid and important to members of the bi community in the same boat as me; but it's also important that we don't take up too much space (or the wrong space) and that people like me are extremely conscientious about when and where we discuss our issues. But I'm aware that this is textbook bi-diminishment, and I apologize to all the proud Bs reading this who see me contributing to that problem.

So I figured I'd ask if anyone had any thoughts. I don't even feel comfortable submitting this post, to be honest, and I want to be very clear that I'm more than fine reading opinions that confirm my gut feeling.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome!

There's little risk of us taking up 'too much' space in queer communities, considering we're about half of the community but decades of intentional and accidental alienation keep many bi folk out of such spaces. Be loud, be proud, biphobes can get used to it! :)

OP
OP
Sai

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
equating bi problems to uhhh white whine feels a little disrespectful considering there are many many bisexual people of color

maybe as a white cis dude you need to be conscious of the space you occupy, but not when it comes to discussions of sexuality.

biphobes can choke

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
My middle brother wants me back but his wife won't allow it unless I have sanitizing wipes. Can't find any in stores despite going right when they open. Think the wipes are being restricted for hospitals and government. I have a sneaking suspicion they only want me back because they are running out of money and supplies. Brother's work is shutdown but mine is still open and I have some savings left. IDK what I'm going to do. I feel like I owe them but they also are the ones who threw me out and wouldn't listen to reason.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
My middle brother wants me back but his wife won't allow it unless I have sanitizing wipes. Can't find any in stores despite going right when they open. Think the wipes are being restricted for hospitals and government. I have a sneaking suspicion they only want me back because they are running out of money and supplies. Brother's work is shutdown but mine is still open and I have some savings left. IDK what I'm going to do. I feel like I owe them but they also are the ones who threw me out and wouldn't listen to reason.

I think if you can find some other living situation, then that would be best since they've shown they'll throw you out on a whim.

ABC123

Mar 1, 2019
This is my first post in this thread, but I need to vent to other LGBT+ people rather than straight people.

Trying to find a boyfriend is exhausting to the point where I feel like it's taking an emotional toll on me. Every single guy I think is cute turns out to be straight, even when I am positive that they're gay. The dates I go on with other gay guys never turn into anything because we never have anything in common by date number two or three, so we agree to call it off. It makes me wonder if I'm just going to be doomed to spend the rest of my life alone. It's stupid, but the thought pops up every now and then.

Everyone (straight people) always tell me that the right guy will come along when I'm least expecting it, but that's easy to say when you're already in a committed relationship and 90% of the people you see are potential partners. I always just smile and say "Sure" or something like that, but it's annoying when they're in a five+ year long relationship.

I end up trying to distract myself from feeling like shit by focusing 100% of my energy on school and work. Like this morning, I woke up at 6 in the morning with the feeling hitting me harder than it had in months, so I've spent the last 7 hours reading textbooks, taking notes, and watching lecture videos. My friends always ask me how I have a 3.98 GPA, and it's like, it's because I use school as a crutch to distract myself when I feel like crap.

My school has 16,000 students, and I can't help but think if 10% of the student body is gay, that leaves me with about 800 potential gay guys. Eliminate the ones who are already in relationships, the ones I don't find attractive, and the ones that I think are cute but don't like me back and it's like, I feel like I'm left with nothing.

It's just frustrating and I needed to vent.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I think if you can find some other living situation, then that would be best since they've shown they'll throw you out on a whim.
That's what I'm thinking but they have my cat and most of my stuff and they won't allow me in without wipes and other sterilisation stuff. I do have an offer to rent a room with a coworker but I don't know if I can stand living with her. I also feel like I have to help them out. Even if they threw me out they let me stay for a year when I had no where else to go. So I have to decide how much is enough as I know I can't let them take advantage. I know I'm too good hearted.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Every single guy I think is cute turns out to be straight, even when I am positive that they're gay.
Maybe it's not the right attitude to have, but I've never bothered even considering "IRL" male friends as gay / potential dates. Every single guy I've dated, I've met online :/

The dates I go on with other gay guys never turn into anything because we never have anything in common by date number two or three, so we agree to call it off. It makes me wonder if I'm just going to be doomed to spend the rest of my life alone. It's stupid, but the thought pops up every now and then.
It sucks but this slow process is how you realize you don't have a lot in common with your date, there's no shortcut. This is true for straight people too, it's just they have way more potential candidates.

Everyone (straight people) always tell me that the right guy will come along when I'm least expecting it, but that's easy to say when you're already in a committed relationship and 90% of the people you see are potential partners. I always just smile and say "Sure" or something like that, but it's annoying when they're in a five+ year long relationship.
Yeah that's just not how things work.

In the end, while it's easier said than done, you should not worry that much about it. Be happily single, keep dating, accept the fact that it might take a while to find a boyfriend, and don't give up :)