• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
A little from Column A, a little from Column B~ So many people saying Hey and following up with nothing, saying Hey with a blank profile and providing no info and presumably actually expecting a response to grace their lazy asses, people saying Hey followed by inappropriate pictures or info (which still happens with surprising frequency even when I explicitly state I'm only looking for something casual), the people who say Hey in response to me asking and then subsequently providing nothing...

Annnnnddd disregarding all of the above, half of the guys who DO avoid all above pitfalls turn out to be sociopaths. In a just world, I'd respond to all the Heys with nothing else, but usually it foretells a waste of time from my perspective based on my experiences.

Tinder has issues too, but I've had infinitely better experiences with it, especially compared to Grindr. More people on Tinder seem to actually comprehend the basics of human interaction on a basic fundamental level, and know how to not come across as some neurotic foolish idiot.

... Yes, I'm a little bitter~

I've had far worse experiences on Tinder and it's like somehow the worst of the worst show up there. At least with Grindr I kinda know what I'm getting into. Tinder in my area attracts some really aggressive weirdos.

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I've had far worse experiences on Tinder and it's like somehow the worst of the worst show up there. At least with Grindr I kinda know what I'm getting into. Tinder in my area attracts some really aggressive weirdos.

Not 100% surprised the experience varies, pfft~ I suppose my lowered expectation of Grindr also affects my opinion of it.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
We're those the weird ads you get in your inbox or something from Grindr with tips on how to be nice to each other? I vaguely remember something like that.

But also how sad that you'd have to do that to begin with.

Yeah, I thought it was like a separate app though?

This is what is what drives me nuts!! When did we get to treating people the way things are on Grindr. It's just so fucking rude.

Whether the intention is to hook up with someone or not, I think people still need to be treated like human beings. I dunno what it is about apps like Grindr that makes people forget that.

^^^

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm so popular with bots on Grindr. It was must be the robotic way I dance.

Every tap I get is treated as a bot these days. I'm not pretentious enough to say "don't tap" because I don't care that much but with all the bots it's just hard to like... know what's real or not. Though I guess all the ones that are immediately offline after tapping are fake but I don't trust these things. Mega Man X taught me well.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
One time I legit had like a 10 minute conversation with someone before I realized he was a bot :(

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I talked to a guy who was like 2 miles from me and the conversation went from normal to like bot territory and I have wondered if he got hacked mid convo because it was a super weird tonal change.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I stumbled on one after I responded to a tap (scandalous, I know) and they're actually kind of clever. The profile seemed pretty normal so I thought nothing of it at first, but the way it was talking left every response on my end open ended and it took me a minute before I realized why. They're a pretty clever method for phishing and I bet tons of people inadvertently tell them all sorts of things without realizing what's at stake.

Later I found that they basically only had 2 or 3 different bio lines in their profiles so they became easier to spot from there, but I don't fault anyone for not seeing what's going on.

Last edited:

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
the main lines I see are "do people even read these" and "ask and you'll find out" or similar.

SOMETIMES they have typos in them which may even be intentional. I got one last night I know for sure was a bot and they've gone from just being "offline" to "offline for 14 minutes" to give the illusion that they're real. They're definitely trying to get you to be a sugar person but without the sugar.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
If bots didn't respond to me, then I would have no messages returned at all! I don't say that as a means for sympathy, more as self-deprecating humor for perhaps only myself to laugh at. :)

MasaDrew

Jun 20, 2019
I reinstalled Grindr last Friday. Interesting conversations and surprisingly a couple of guys I like that don't appear on the other apps. Who knows what will happen. The bots are more prevalent, andd theys taalk likee tthis going immediately into scoping to check out a website.

Grindr definitely is giving me more hookup propositions. Different audience from what i'm used to. I usually don't keep the app too long since it seems to be the most bare without the pro version.

Growlr used to be my hookup app, but its also where I get the highest ratio of creepy guys.

Scruff suprisingly nets me great conversation, decent followthrough for dates or trade.

Tinder....makes me annoyed sometimes because of how often guys are not wanting something serious. Not that i'm complaining. Also the one app that makes me love and hate that I'm near the atlanta airport.

Hinge and Bumble just don't have the population.

OKCupid and POF are a bit all over the place and disorganized.

PlanetRomeo and Taimi are bleh for me. Poorly designed.

This reminds me of the guy I was having issues with earlier in the year. He swore up and down that he couldn't stand hookup apps and felt dirty using them. In the span of 10 minutes in bed one night I hear the Growlr notification. He then explains that "its just for conversation" and he only uses it to make friends not like the "poorly bearded sluts on Scruff". A) Honey its still a hook up app, I don't care why you're on it. You're behavior is more suspect than whatever is installed on your phone and B ) You showed up on scruff a few months later sooooooo deuces.

In other news I think I'm a magnet for guys that have recently gotten out of a relationship and are trying to heal from it. Nothing wrong with it, in fact if theyre doing things to find themselves thats awesome and I support it. Just makes dating and courting annoying sometimes.

'

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'm still surprised that the guy I like from Grindr I mentioned a while ago and I are still talking. He's in Orlando so maybe he could evacuate here.

JK, if this storm gets into the gulf I'm getting the hell out of Florida.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I stumbled on one after I responded to a tap (scandalous, I know) and they're actually kind of clever. The profile seemed pretty normal so I thought nothing of it at first, but the way it was talking left every response on my end open ended and it took me a minute before I realized why. They're a pretty clever method for phishing and I bet tons of people inadvertently tell them all sorts of things without realizing what's at stake.

Later I found that they basically only had 2 or 3 different bio lines in their profiles so they became easier to spot from there, but I don't fault anyone for not seeing what's going on.

For some reason the ones I encounter become weirdly hostile if I don't IMMEDIATELY respond.

Feniks

Oct 30, 2017
What do you guys think of the recent study that states there is no gay gene?

I'm afraid it will fire up the homophobes who think being gay is avoidable and people turn gay when they see a rainbow or something :/

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I hope they won't find the "gay gene". I bet some couples would abort if they would find out their kid is gay. Possibility of eliminating us in the future.

So let it be a mistery.

Last edited:

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I hope they won't find the "gay gene". I bet some couples would abort if they would find out their kid is gay.

So let it be a mistery.

Exactly. I'm much more worried about science finding out that "being gay" is linked to some specific genes or to a special thing happening in the womb, thus making it super easy to spot and easy for the homophobes who would wanna promote shitty eugenics about it.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think of the recent study that states there is no gay gene?

I'm afraid it will fire up the homophobes who think being gay is avoidable and people turn gay when they see a rainbow or something :/

As a geneticist, I don't really see much of an issue with it. The spectral nature of sexuality always made it far more likely that any genetic basis would be the result of multiple genes or some sort of epigenetic modification to existing genetic patterns (ie methylation etc). A single gene being enough to completely control any process is quite rare.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Imagine a world without gays...

All female popstars would flop. Lady Gaga for instance would have 0 fans.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
Any of y'all in the Portland area? I'm going to be playing in a volleyball tournament there in early-mid October and I want someone to pay for my Voodoo donut <3.

jk, but would be cool if anyone is in the area! I've only been there once for a very short time.

Sophie

Oct 28, 2017
Went to local Pride yesterday. Actually kinda disappointing compared to last year. There was no hype, people seemed bored. One day I hope our local Prides goes all out like NYC style and other videos I've seen online. Most weren't wearing anything special, just holding a flag.

But hey, it's our 2nd ever Pride here and it's a great start, so I'm happy regardless.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Went to local Pride yesterday. Actually kinda disappointing compared to last year. There was no hype, people seemed bored. One day I hope our local Prides goes all out like NYC style and other videos I've seen online. Most weren't wearing anything special, just holding a flag.

But hey, it's our 2nd ever Pride here and it's a great start, so I'm happy regardless.
I've never been to anything like that, because I'm not sure what I would actually do after like 20 minutes. I would totally be one of those people holding a flag and looking bored. I'm just more of a "talking to people inside" kind of person when it comes to socializing.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
My city's Pride is being held in a few weeks and I am excited to take the GF. Should be fun! I've been out of town for the past few ones unfortunately.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I am done with Grindr. Scruff it just so much more productive now. It's weird because I switched from Scruff to Grindr because everyone was a time-waster on there but now it's the other way around.

This week as I was getting ready for bed one evening I was messaged by a super sexy guy in my building that I've been checking out every time I see him around. He invited me to play with him, his boyfriend and three other guys. But what was great is they were pretty much all really hot. Amazing how someone can manage to get four guys over like that when for me it's such a hassle organising just one. Wish I had his skills.

Anyways did a mini photo shoot and updated my profile pic to celebrate the relocation and end of the drought (redacted version):
[Mod Edit: Inappropriate picture removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017

Translation:

Hey cousin, why don't you have a girlfriend?

Because I'm gay.

What's that?

It means I like men instead of women.

Ohhh. And why don't you have a boyfriend?

Sonuva...

Last edited:

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
It was either an accidental (hopefully not intentional :/) ball slip or underwear, but it looked inappropriate enough that it needed to be removed.

There's no ball slip in that pic! :O Wearing shorts not underwear.

There's nothing x rated in that at all (either partial or side) just short shorts and admittedly risqué pose. It's maybe PG-13 at the most. It was accepted as a profile pic in the app after all and they are really strict about that stuff.

But fair enough if you thought it needed to be removed. *Shrug*

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
There's no ball slip in that pic! :O Wearing shorts not underwear.

There's nothing x rated in that at all (either partial or side) just short shorts and admittedly risqué pose. It's maybe PG-13 at the most. It was accepted as a profile pic in the app after all and they are really strict about that stuff.

But fair enough if you thought it needed to be removed. *Shrug*

Like I said, we weren't sure if it was like a stealth partial nude or an accidental slip up or what, so it was removed just in case.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Like I said, we weren't sure if it was like a stealth partial nude or an accidental slip up or what, so it was removed just in case.

Well, I definitely did not intend on flashing anyone so apologies if that's how it came across. I'm pretty sure that pic is clean but I will review just in case.

Interested in the picture :P

I miss gay tumblr so much. Are there any good alternatives?

I can PM it to you if you're that curious ha ha. Did not think it would cause such a scandal to be honest. :(