• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Sorta related: I noticed my Xbox doesn't support VRR when plugged into an AMP that is a few years old. Is the EARC port able to do HDMI 2.1 stuff? Would also be nice to plug in the 2070S PC and get 4k 120hz with VRR with the sound system.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sorta related: I noticed my Xbox doesn't support VRR when plugged into an AMP that is a few years old. Is the EARC port able to do HDMI 2.1 stuff? Would also be nice to plug in the 2070S PC and get 4k 120hz with VRR with the sound system.

If the amp doesn't support hdmi 2.1 then it isn't going to work anywhere, as the whole chain will default to hdmi 2.0 and the Xbox will switch to hdmi 2.0 backwards compatible mode

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If the amp doesn't support hdmi 2.1 then it isn't going to work anywhere, as the whole chain will default to hdmi 2.0 and the Xbox will switch to hdmi 2.0 backwards compatible mode

Aww that's a bummer. It's either hdmi 2.1 or a great sound system then, unless we want to buy an expensive AMP D:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Once LG fix the pcm multi channel eARC bug next year you'll be able to plug your console into the TV and then assuming your amp supports eARC get lossless audio to it that way.

Ooh didn't know there was some sort of issue preventing that. I thought you would need extra hardware no matter what. So simply having an earc port could allow audio coming through that while allowing video to go through the TV for hdmi 2.1?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Once LG fix the pcm multi channel eARC bug next year you'll be able to plug your console into the TV and then assuming your amp supports eARC get lossless audio to it that way.

Do these games even support lossless audio anymore?

Back in the PS3 gen, the back of the box showed that the games supported 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD.

But this gen, that type of info was removed.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Ooh didn't know there was some sort of issue preventing that. I thought you would need extra hardware no matter what. So simply having an earc port could allow audio coming through that while allowing video to go through the TV for hdmi 2.1?

Earc is just like arc now, it's a port that would simply be passing the audio for anything the tv is producing. The receiver also has to support Earc though.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So if I buy a 2019 LG oled in the coming months I'll have 120fps vrr and g sync?

So if I buy this from currys...OLED65C9MLB

Does that work with the one x and g sync?

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
So if I buy a 2019 LG oled in the coming months I'll have 120fps vrr and g sync?

So if I buy this from currys...OLED65C9MLB

Does that work with the one x and g sync?

Yes, and gsync works really well. However, you need a turing card (RTX 20XX or GTX 16XX) to use gsync on these sets. The VRR range for 1440p is 40-120hz. For 4K it's 40-60hz. Currently you can't go beyond 60hz in 4K. LG promises this will be supported once there are HDMI2.1 sources that supports this.

I have no experience with the one x in this case but from what I have read it is supported.

OP
OP

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

eARC input doesn't need to do HDMI 2.1. It just sends audio from the TV to the receiver. If your receiver supports eARC, then connect the Xbox to the TV, and set the Xbox audio output to Dolby Atmos or Dolby Digital. The TV will send that audio to the receiver. When LG updates their TVs to support LPCM 5.1/7.1 over eARC next year, then you can also use that as an option. Even if your receiver doesn't support eARC, you can still have the Xbox output DD 5.1 and the TV will send that to the receiver over regular ARC.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yes, and gsync works really well. However, you need a turing card (RTX 20XX or GTX 16XX) to use gsync on these sets. The VRR range for 1440p is 40-120hz. For 4K it's 40-60hz. Currently you can't go beyond 60hz in 4K. LG promises this will be supported once there are HDMI2.1 sources that supports this.

I have no experience with the one x in this case but from what I have read it is supported.

Omg I didnt know.

Can anyone confirm if the one x works with vrr on these. I'll wait until after ces and then I'll buy along as the 2020 TVs cant do 4k 120

strang

Oct 27, 2017
In case anyone hasn't seen this, rtings is doing GSync compatibility tests on its TV reviews now: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/g-sync-compatible

There are a couple other LG TVs that don't officially support GSync but it works anyway.

I'm really hoping that support comes to Samsung's QLED TVs at some point. I'm too scared of burn-in to commit to an OLED, especially since I usually keep my TVs for more than 5 years.