• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I was wait I g for this interview to decide whether his spontaneous admission had been misguided or him failing to express himself correctly. But reading this interview makes me realise he doesn't understand the fact he is a fucking racist prejudiced piece of shit. Really quite sad how much of Hollywood is so far up their own arse that they can't empathise with the plight or struggle of people who are genuinely fucked over on a regular basis.

Just want to apologise to anyone I pissed off in the previous go at this topic, clearly this is a delusional racist asshole and I should have known better than to give him the benefit of the doubt at first pass.

Omar

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory false equivalencies, antagonizing other members, dismissing concerns surrounding racism
Uugg all of you sanctimonious zealots are the reason we have trump and the alt right in the presidency

You have all lost any moderation or common sense, you are not better than the extremist lunatics in Breibrat forums (just on the left side)

He clearly told this story as a cautionary tale, we all have dark thoughts and feelings, we should not let them take over us. Whoever here said he hasn't project anger or frustration in a negative manner trough its life time; is either a liar, or has the most boring life ever. We are humans, we screw up, we can learn from those mistakes, you all making it impossible for people to come out and have a sincere conversation

Not even sure why someone would make a big deal out of this

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ain't even surprised at the kind of understanding this man is getting. It's about what I expect. Any black person, or any person of colour frankly, should long know by now that the same rules don't apply to you. You will never, ever get this kind of leeway for similar remarks. It'll be game over as soon as you put that shit out in the open. That's the racist ass world we live in.

flexicon

Nov 5, 2018
Uugg all of you sanctimonious zealots are the reason we have trump and the alt right in the presidency

You have all lost any moderation or common sense, you are not better than the extremist lunatics in Breibrat forums (just on the left side)

He clearly told this story as a cautionary tale, we all have dark thoughts and feelings, we should not let them take over us. Whoever here said he hasn't project anger or frustration in a negative manner trough its life time; is either a liar, or has the most boring life ever. We are humans, we screw up, we can learn from those mistakes, you all making it impossible for people to come out and have a sincere conversation

Lmao

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
I can understand him being angry, but that's it, any sympathy for how he handled that anger doesn't exist. Imo, he should start seeing a therapist and maybe disappear from the public eye or retire. Doing endless action films to bury his head in the sand and not address his problems is not healthy, and the public doesn't need to be debating his past actions, it's not really debatable; going on about it and staying in the news cycle makes people think it is, and that's what's most harmful here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I dunno if "We've all gotten mad and stalked town hang outs for a week hoping to get a chance to murder a Black Person" is the route you wanna go with this.

He acted on his feeling brah

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.

Why you mad tho? I wouldn't say that i was a zealot. I would say I'm a black man.

The original post I quoted suggested that Neeson would be "rejected" by the left and fall into the hands of the right wing. All I said was that IF he's a real ally he wouldn't fall into their hands.

Ic. My bad for not getting your intention.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
Well, if nothing else, it might be the most interesting "oh, by the way" anecdote told in a type of interview that's generally treated as obligatory nonsense, in quite some time.

Celebrities generally don't throw out their thought-tentacles like this on the regular.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
yeah who here hasn't wanted to walk around at night with the intention of killing a random innocent black man

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

The cautionary tale is great and that bit of the story isn't the bit people have a problem with. It's the fact that the second question News on asked his friend after he found out she got raped was the colour of the guys skin. Now in the other thread we established that about 0.01% of the population of Northern Ireland at the time was black, so why the fuck would that be his first question? His continued inability to address the obvious premeditated prejudice he had towards black people is what is winding people up and making them realise what a racist piece of shit he is.

Tell the story about not letting dark thoughts take control without mentioning dark skin and guess what? His message gets across, people probably advise he seeks a therapist and people move on. His racist comments mean that it's not something you can just move past.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

If I came up to you and said "I wanted to kill the first black person I saw 30 years ago.", you would raise more than an eyebrow at me. You don't see the big deal with this???

I have been angry and frustrated in my life. Never once have I ever said or done anything like wanting to kill the first black person I see.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

Let's be clear about one thing:

The alt-right did not rise due to a lack of centrism. It rose out of excessive centrist apathy.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't doubt people go to incredibly dark places when something tragic happens to them (or in their close circle); Neeson's issue seems to be that he was too honestly with exposing his own disturbing demons and took it to an uncomfortably racially-charged place in public media (and for a big actor to attempt some moral high ground against one of the world's most picked-on races is a bad look no matter the story).

I'm not gonna toss the guy a rope, but I'm sure a lot of this generation's senior citizens have bullshit racist hangups of this ilk.

Fuck it. Just ignore him and move on to better people who do have better and more admirable values. I'm sure news outlets are loving the ink getting spilt over an old idiot saying word-garbage on the air.

flexicon

Nov 5, 2018
Trying to distance himself from the alt right and then saying "yeah who doesn't vent their frustration at black people," dude really wanted to have a conversation starter on Reddit

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I ain't even surprised at the kind of understanding this man is getting. It's about what I expect. Any black person, or any person of colour frankly, should long know by now that the same rules don't apply to you. You will never, ever get this kind of leeway for similar remarks. It'll be game over as soon as you put that shit out in the open. That's the racist ass world we live in.

Similar remarks? Black people get out right murdered and get their names dragged through the mud. "He was no angel"

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Yes how sanctimonious of us to be put off at a story about hunting innocent black people. My outrage at the idea that myself, my family or anyone with my skin color could be stalked and killed be men just like Neeson is what put Trump in the White House. Not at all the thousands on thousands who, just like Neeson thought, believe that black life has no value and voted accordingly. No you're right my SJW, PC attitude towards respecting marginalized people's right to exist literally took physical form and walked to the polls to cast a ballot for Trump. It literally called the phone of every white supremacist to come to Charlottesville and run over protesters.

Do everyone a favor and never come back to ERA

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many wanting to clap him for saying this shit. So many white dudes are saying what he did was good. Then you got the black dudes saying it wasn't his fault he was racist who are given air time.

Whole thing is waste

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So many wanting to clap him for saying this shit. So many white dudes are saying what he did was good. Then you got the black dudes saying it wasn't his fault he was racist who are given air time.

Whole thing is waste
What does it say about people when "I was working on killing a black person, but I power walked it out" damn near gets you a medal?

Oct 30, 2017
The only thing I can possibly think with whats going through his head is that he'd have done it with any group described to him.
Revenge killings between Protestants & Catholics was common in Ireland so could possibly have extended here.
Though I feel with the way the interview went that might be a stretch

He should have been pressed on it at the time

As is though it's a career ender.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only thing I can possibly think with whats going through his head is that he'd have done it with any group described to him.
Revenge killings between Protestants & Catholics was common in Ireland so could possibly have extended here.
Though I feel with the way the interview went that might be a stretch

He should have been pressed on it at the time

As is though it's a career ender.

This is most certainly not a career ender. Neeson is a well loved white actor. He'll continue his current press junket for his current movie and this will fall forgotten. Most white people aren't even seeing his 40 y/o anecdote as an act of explicit racism but instead as a powerful show of growth.

Oct 27, 2017
The more I think about this story the more it smells like bullshit. It doesnt make any sense for NI at that time to ask about race. And you could stalk the streets for a month of Sundays and you wouldn't see a person of colour. He'd know that of course.

On the other hand I can't think of a good reason why someone would make up such a crazy racist story.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
This is most certainly not a career ender. Neeson is a well loved white actor. He'll continue his current press junket for his current movie and this will fall forgotten. Most white people aren't even seeing his 40 y/o anecdote as an act of explicit racism but instead as a powerful show of growth.
Yeah he will continue making the same movie way pass the time they start premiering in the Walmart dvd bin and Crackle

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about this story the more it smells like bullshit. It doesnt make any sense for NI at that time to ask about race. And you could stalk the streets for a month of Sundays and you wouldn't see a person of colour. He'd know that of course.

On the other hand I can't think of a good reason why someone would make up such a crazy racist story.

Because the stereotype of black people raping women is well known, and also, our lives don't matter much, so stalking us and killing us isn't seen as a big deal. Especially when you frame it as a moment of personal growth.

I mean...Mel Gibson wished somebody would get raped by a PACK of N-words.

Neeson will be fine.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Because the stereotype of black people raping women is well known, and also, our lives don't matter much, so stalking us and killing us isn't seen as a big deal. Especially when you frame it as a moment of personal growth.
Shittty lynching literally was a saturday afternoon for the family not too long ago. And they use to take home parts of the body

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This woman needed support (an extreme understatement) after surviving this harrowing life changing experience; she did not need Liam to go in the night playing a racially charged version of Death Wish.

What a mess. But I don't think Liam gets why, even now, which is even more worrying.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact he thinks because he was honest about his racism and realising it was wrong is some form of enlightenment is astonishing in itself. I used to think highly of Liam, these comments have really stained his character for me, not sure i can see him as a "hero" knowing this is who he was.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine an Era thread titled "I just spent a week roaming around X looking for a Y person to kill, but didn't" and how that would go.

You don't reward someone for complying with the bare minimums of morality and decency.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I really don't understand is why he wouldn't try to figure out and hunt down the specific perpetrator.

When he says this, I think it's fair to believe him:

"If she has said an Irish, or a Scot, or a Brit, or a Lithuanian, I know I would've felt the same effect. I was trying to... stand up for my dear friend in this terrible medieval fashion."

So while he may not have been specifically racist against black folks until his friend was raped, he was clearly willing to be racist against any group that he could project his revenge fantasy onto. That's where his whole defense that there was no racism involved completely falls apart, because by his logic, it wouldn't have mattered what the person's skin color was. He would have latched onto the aggressor's race regardless, and used it as an excuse to kill anybody belonging to said race.

And this isn't to belittle the fact that it DID happen to the black community, either. Whether it was circumstantial racism or not, the end result is that he was looking to call a black person - so it doesn't really matter how he arrived at that feeling, does it?

It's just so disturbing and bizarre. If he wanted to murder the specific criminal, that would be completely comprehensible for damn near everyone. Hell, his story about rising above the violent and dark thoughts would even be pretty high-minded and weighty, coming from someone who had actually gone through the mental state of a murderous rage.

But to target a completely innocent person because they might possibly look like a rapist? What the hell, man. That's almost Trumpian levels of racism.

I don't know how to feel about this story in present day 2019, though. It seems pretty clear that he came to grips with his violent demons, completely rejected them, and is now trying to promote an idea of peace (even though he has supremely screwed up on his messaging and execution). Should that be enough to warrant forgiveness?

Part of me wants to say yes. But then again, he also spent a couple weeks actively looking for a reason to commit a racist murder forty years ago. So, y'know, screw that.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liam Neeson: "I'm not a racist."

kqjAvLF.jpg

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Curious that he said he spoke with a bishop, some friends, do fucking powerwalking and NO MENTION OF FUCKING PROFESSIONAL HELP.

Yep, dude is done.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
It's crazy that he himself brought this up 40 years later. Out of nowhere. At a press junket!

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
John Barnes (former Liverpool soccer player) has weighed in with what he thinks: