• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
This was a shocking interview.... I can't believe Neeson just dropped this story in the middle of your average press junket.

[T]he 66-year-old star of Taken is about to recount a disturbing incident from his past, a confession that he's never made before. It will involve how he learnt about the rape of someone close to him many years ago, how he roamed the streets for a week afterwards carrying with him a cosh and brutal, racist thoughts, and how this taught him that violence and revenge do not work.

It begins as an explanation of how his latest character turns to anger. "There's something primal – God forbid you've ever had a member of your family hurt under criminal conditions," he begins, hesitantly but thoughtfully. "I'll tell you a story. This is true."

It was some time ago. Neeson had just come back from overseas to find out about the rape. "She handled the situation of the rape in the most extraordinary way," Neeson says. "But my immediate reaction was…" There's a pause. "I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.

"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody – I'm ashamed to say that – and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [Neeson gestures air quotes with his fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could," another pause, "kill him."

Neeson clearly knows what he's saying, and how shocking it is, how appalling. "It took me a week, maybe a week and a half, to go through that. She would say, 'Where are you going?' and I would say, 'I'm just going out for a walk.' You know? 'What's wrong?' 'No no, nothing's wrong.'"

He deliberately withholds details to protect the identity of the victim. "It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that," he says. "And I've never admitted that, and I'm saying it to a journalist. God forbid."

"Holy shit," says Tom Bateman, his co-star, who is sitting beside him.

"It's awful," Neeson continues, a tremble in his breath. "But I did learn a lesson from it, when I eventually thought, 'What the fuck are you doing,' you know?"

All three of us know – Neeson, Bateman and I – that this is a distressing admission. "I come from a society – I grew up in Northern Ireland in the Troubles – and, you know, I knew a couple of guys that died on hunger strike, and I had acquaintances who were very caught up in the Troubles, and I understand that need for revenge, but it just leads to more revenge, to more killing and more killing, and Northern Ireland's proof of that. All this stuff that's happening in the world, the violence, is proof of that, you know. But that primal need, I understand."

Source:
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-man-revenge-taken-cold-pursuit-a8760896.html

I get that he's trying to come off as reflective and confessional here, but yikes, that an extremely racist impulse to have.

Thoughts?

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
That is approximately the worst possible time to workshop through heavy feelings of something that happened 40-50 years ago fam

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The tell here, is that he wanted to enact his revenge on an unrelated black person instead of specifically the person who assaulted his friend.

Guess there goes the Taken franchise

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why he said this in an interview voluntarily.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
What can you say? That's a shockingly awful thing to do or feel okay about admitting to in front of a journalist. Not all publicity is good publicity, Liam. This is someone admitting to actively seeking to murder a random innocent person. There's no context that allows for a defence here.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well damn, I don't think that came out the way he expected it to.

It sounds like he knows he fucked up and moved past it.

I dont see why everyone here is saying fuck Neeson. Are people not allowed to change?

The fact he was wanting to go kill just any black guy is a bit concerning. He fucked up sure, but people are rightfully going to question wtf he was thinking hoping to kill a random black guy for his skin color.

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like he knows he fucked up and moved past it.

I dont see why everyone here is saying fuck Neeson. Are people not allowed to change?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The desire for revenge is more than understandable but against someone unrelated, and because they're the same color? Jesus Christ.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really seem all that horrifying. Seems like a person who was hurt and wanted revenge and didn't know how to deal with emotions but eventually did without causing harm to someone.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lacking evidence of CURRENT racism, I'll take this at face value as someone who has improved as a person from questionable roots. I mean, it would have been like 40 years ago, right? Are we not giving anyone second chances at all?

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I would kinda understand if he knew who did it and actually thought about killing him, but just target a random black guy ? wtf ?

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Admitting to past bias and reflecting on how misguided, ignorant and dangerous it was shouldn't be frowned on, imo.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
The tell here, is that he wanted to enact his revenge on an unrelated black person instead of specifically the person who assaulted his friend.

Guess there goes the Taken franchise

You give Hollywood far too much credit. Hollywood does nothing but prop up and protect people who've done bad things Gary Oldman, Alec Baldwin, hell even Mel Gibson still have very healthy careers.

Edit: needed to edit because my original post may have been involuntary inflammatory

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
What can you say? That's a shockingly awful thing to do or feel okay about admitting to in front of a journalist. Not all publicity is good publicity, Liam. This is someone admitting to actively seeking to murder a random innocent person. There's no context that allows for a defence here.
I don't think he's justifying his actions, he knows they're wrong. No one will defend this, not even him.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
The article tries to frame his racist toxic masculinity as cool. Like he's the same kind of brooding badass he is in his movies. It's fucking gross.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
I get that it's gross, and people are allowed to hate him for it, it just sounds like he hates himself for acting like that too. This is going to be a tough topic, I just hope that the conversation can be nuanced.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
So a black dude raped a person you know and now KILLING any other random black dude will be fine as a way of revenge?
That's not "oh the silly old me was a tad irrational", that's fucking idiotic.

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
How the hell does this even come up during a press interview?

How do you not stop yourself mid-sentence?

Even if your realization and message is "that was fucked up, I was fucked up, I shouldn't have done this"...uh...what?!

Status
Not open for further replies.