• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
There are a lot of bad people out there. I just don't want them to stay in hiding. I want them to become better people.

To be perfectly honest, a lot of my posts come from a place where I'm scared that seeing stuff like this deters some people from opening up. I'm scared that by getting mad at someone for opening up it sends the wrong message.

I'm also understanding that it's not the opening up that most people have a problem with.

Dude there are articles about people who have opened up about being kkk members and how they redeemed themselves. People like that get waaaayyy more positive feedback here.

You totally fail at realizing how here Liam expressed remorse about the anger but not about the racism or selfishness.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
The thing here is that a "revenge story" would've been Neeson going after the rapist.

The fact that he framed a story about him wanting to randomly kill a black person as a "revenge story" tells you all you need to know about his current perception of black people. He didn't want revenge - he wanted to retaliate against an entire race for the actions of one individual.

He should've kept this shit to himself.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The fact that he framed a story about him wanting to randomly kill a black person as a "revenge story" tells you all you need to know about his current perception of black people. He didn't want revenge - he wanted to retaliate against an entire race for the actions of one individual.

YEP! As I put it elsewhere, air quotes black bastard

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, yikes.

When you really examine what he had to say, his actual story speaks to how he tried to hunt down and lynch any black person that gave him the side eye, just waiting to give him the excuse to kill a black person....that's racially motivated and he uses the guise of revenge as his excuse. Yea, he "learned a lesson" that revenge is bad, but it sure as fuck isn't the right lesson because he doesn't reflect at all about how he condemned an entire ethnic group to his fury based upon skin pigment.

There is nothing in that interview that touches upon his views of racism or how he has changed in that regard, just some bullshit that revenge is bad for you and he's ashamed for it. He sure as fuck shouldn't be rewarded for bringing this up as a morality tale because the only reason he didn't kill some random black man that week is that he didn't have an opportunity to do so.

The last thing I'm gonna do is to tell the black community to move on and forgive him, especially considering that I'm just some rando white guy on the internet that has never had to face such discrimination or been targeted for murder based upon my skin colour.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I wish people would stop bringing up stuff like:
"Have you never experienced the darkness of ones soul when you are so full of rage and anger"
Like they are some kind of brooding vigilante anti-hero or something.

Wanting to kill someone is not normal, even when angry
What I want to know is how all these folks know from personal experience that trying to lynch folks after trauma is an easily-forgivable reaction.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Right, he said about the movement that "there is a bit of a witch hunt happening".

https://www.vulture.com/2018/01/liam-neeson-says-hollywood-reckoning-a-bit-of-a-witch-hunt.html

The more he talks about these subjects, the clearer an image that forms in regards to Neeson and where he stands on social issues. Some one should give him an open mic and start asking him random questions and see what bullshit he delivers.

Someone post his reaction to the idea of taking a pay cut so women could get equal pay.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just ask again in a general sense for the new page:
Do you think if it had been a white person he would have gone out looking to kill any white person who started something?

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
The thing here is that a "revenge story" would've been Neeson going after the rapist.

Thank you.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I wish people would stop bringing up stuff like:
"Have you never experienced the darkness of ones soul when you are so full of rage and anger"
Like they are some kind of brooding vigilante anti-hero or something.

Wanting to kill someone is not normal, even when angry
I would think that's pretty normal to want revenge on someone who wronged you. Wanting to kill random people isn't though.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
The thought of Liam Neeson looking for ANY black guy, in the 70's, in Northern Ireland, boggles my mind.

As for the responses in here, I'm not surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised at all.

Apr 16, 2018
People like Liam Neeson have gotten black men lynched and arrested for centuries with his stupid, racist thinking.

The only thing he deserves is derision.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
No one should approach him to know about what he thinks about racism. He had a perfect chance to do it himself when he told a story about his own racism to promote a movie. Sadly, he didn't took the chance and never talked about his racism, about how bad it was and how he learned to stop being racist, and how the society overall can be less racist. Nothing about racism was adressed, and he had a hell of a chance to do it.
I think as I read these threads, the disconnect that I'm having is that i'm starting to believe that the average person on ERA innately thinks better of people. They expect more. At least they act like they do.

Who's more harmful to me? Liam Neeson, maybe a quiet racist, or vocal MAGA jerk who puts ropes and pours unknown liquids on gay men because it's MAGA country? I guess I *expect* the quiet racism. It's the upfront regressive racism that *sometimes* surprises me. This Liam story feels like a non-issue to me because it assumes that 66 year old UK guy has any perspective or moral good nature other than overcoming the rage.

I'm glad that he didn't kill anybody, nor has he pulled a Mel Gibson over the years. My bar is realistic.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think as I read these threads, the disconnect that I'm having is that i'm starting to believe that the average person on ERA innately thinks better of people. They expect more. At least they act like they do.

Who's more harmful to me? Liam Neeson, maybe a quiet racist, or vocal MAGA jerk who puts ropes and pours unknown liquids on gay men because it's MAGA country? I guess I *expect* the quiet racism. It's the upfront regressive racism that *sometimes* surprises me. This Liam story feels like a non-issue to me because it assumes that 66 year old UK guy has any perspective or moral good nature other than overcoming the rage.

I'm glad that he didn't kill anybody, nor has he pulled a Mel Gibson over the years. My bar is realistic.
In what world is a "quiet racist" someone who prowled streets looking for black people to kill?

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
If his friend couldn't identify her rapist other than to say he'd had an eyepatch, does that mean young Liam, stewing in his impotent rage, would've taken to the pubs and streets of Northern Ireland looking for any "one-eyed bastard" to give him an excuse to exact his bloody revenge on them, guilty or not?

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
If his friend couldn't identify her rapist other than to say he'd had an eyepatch, does that mean young Liam, stewing in his impotent rage, would've taken to the pubs and streets of Northern Ireland looking for any "one-eyed bastard" to give him an excuse to exact his bloody revenge on them, guilty or not?
Well the black guy actually could have had one eye but Liam didn't require that kind of granular information.

Oct 27, 2017
I actually doubt this happen while he was in Ireland, more likely when he was living in the UK.

There was a lot of casual racism against Black people in Ireland around that time, but there very very few black people in the country back then.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really can't believe people are making excuses for him on here.

Mind crimes, lol.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Glad nobody was hurt over this impulse he got. And yeah such labeling based on ethnicity, skin color, religion does happen a lot (it shouldn't of course). There's been few recent controversies around groups of refugee/immigrant men and sexual child abuse here in Finland. Which has sparked an increase in anti-immigration sentiment and in straight up racism. Some people also feel validated, as this is something they've been "warning" us about. Suddenly everybody starts talking about child abuse, when it's groups of foreign men doing it. It gives this distorted view, that (middle-eastern) foreigners are the main perperators of sex crimes in Finland.
That's a bloody shame..I liked him a lot too.
Come on Viggo.
Don't worry about it too much. He used the word when describing how people might not use that word as much anymore (unlike at the time when the movie took place), but that doesn't mean the hateful ideology behind it has disappeared. People "know" better not to use it, even when they're racist to their core. https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/viggo-mortensen-n-word-green-book-statement-1202019747/

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Someone post his reaction to the idea of taking a pay cut so women could get equal pay.
It was posted a few pages back:
LOL. Liam do something to actually affect change? To quote him "NOOOOOOO!". He'll acknowledge a problem, but ask him to be a part of the solution? NOOOOOO!

Liam Neeson: "Blah, blah, we need to do something, blah, blah"

Ok will you be willing to make a stand and take a pay cut in support?

Liam Neeson:
giphy.gif

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

It's okay, he forgave all black people after a week of hoping to kill someone. He's an understanding guy.

In theory, there's a way for him to tell this story and have him not coming out of it looking like a racist maniac. It wouldn't make the act any less reprehensible, but it could've been a story about how he confronted his prejudice and came out of it a better person. I wouldn't tell anyone they had to forgive him, but he would at least have a better takeaway. The way he tells the story doesn't show that, though. Seems like he learned that he has a temper, but nothing else.

Oct 28, 2017
Do you think if it had been a white person he would have gone out looking to kill any white person who started something?

No because if that was the case, specifically looking for a black person to punish would make no sense unless the intention was to condemn the whole race. Any individual would do in a pinch regardless of the skin color or the rapist.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
People like Liam Neeson have gotten black men lynched and arrested for centuries with his stupid, racist thinking.

The only thing he deserves is derision.

Have gotten? People like Neeson (the person he was at the time of the incident) have actually lynched black men. The entire mindset is stupid because they (the racists) would kill an innocent black man while the actual perpetrator got off scott free.

EDIT:
I know what you're saying but its that exact mindset Neeson is espousing that led to KKK members hunting for a black person to lynch back in the day. The words "Have gotten" makes the person who held the same thoughts Neeson did to be a passive actor, a talker instead of an active participant. When that mindset very much made the person who held them an active participant in lynchings.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually doubt this happen while he was in Ireland, more likely when he was living in the UK.

There was a lot of casual racism against Black people in Ireland around that time, but there very very few black people in the country back then.

Without getting political, Liam Neeson is from Northern Ireland which is part of the UK. I would agree this probably happened when he was living in London. People seem to be mentioning this happened 40 years ago, but I don't think he mentioned any timeframe did he?

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yes, that is the issue. There isn't any context where you would drop a story about yourself like this and should not be fully considering how racism drove your actions. The problem is that he just casually mentions it like it's a background detail and the interviewer doesn't care to point it out either.

They don't realize the issue with the deeply racist thoughts and actions. Recognize that all the people defending, forgiving and giving Neeson the benefit of the doubt don't realize it either and why that is a dangerous thing. Recognize that all this rationalizing you're doing only reinforces the common and constant dismissal of racism by white people.
I'm rationalizing it from my own point of view where because racism isn't as flagrantly prevalent where I grow up I can understand why this wasn't the focus of his thought process. I do agree that the way he drops it in as a throwaway comment is problematic and he should address it. I also agree that the first question being "what colour was he" is a bizarre first response even a bizarre thing to remember about the whole thing without there being some deep rooted racism.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
I'm rationalizing it from my own point of view where because racism isn't as flagrantly prevalent where I grow up I can understand why this wasn't the focus of his thought process. I do agree that the way he drops it in as a throwaway comment is problematic and he should address it. I also agree that the first question being "what colour was he" is a bizarre first response even a bizarre thing to remember about the whole thing without there being some deep rooted racism.
I somehow doubt this?

Oct 27, 2017
I was ready for the excuses. I really was.

What i wasn't ready for was the idea that people would even pretend to throw around the idea that because he didn't actually kill a black person that he shouldn't be condemned. Really? That's where we're setting the bar now?! Ho-ly Shit

Because like, you know, he didn't actually kill anyone....even though he actually looked for opportunities to do so....for a whole week and a half. Give the guy a break you guys.

tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Without getting political, Liam Neeson is from Northern Ireland which is part of the UK. I would agree this probably happened when he was living in London. People seem to be mentioning this happened 40 years ago, but I don't think he mentioned any timeframe did he?

Whoops.. Yeah NI is part of the UK. I'm showing my republican roots.

There's also the mentality of Ireland at the time, it shows in his reaction, it was very vigilante. Which was how things were done here then. Even moreso in the North. Everyone was part of a team or tribe, innocents where targeted for wrongs done by their team. The Troubles were fulled by bigotry and hate. Add to that whatever racist shit was going on in his head that he, hopefully, has copped the fuck on about.

I'm lucky myself I was geographically removed from all that shit.

Its a shame to hear it from him as he seems like a pretty grounded guy otherwise.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Depends on what religion they were. This is Ireland we're talking about. At that time, Protestants and Catholics didn't need too much of a reason to attack each other, as he mentions. Protestant raped your best friend would have been a fair excuse for violence.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What i wasn't ready for was the idea that people would even pretend to throw around the idea that because he didn't actually kill a black person that he shouldn't be condemned. Really? That's where we're setting the bar now?! Ho-ly Shit
Yet if we claim disappointment in white moderates for fucking around with this story then we're the problem.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
In what world is a "quiet racist" someone who prowled streets looking for black people to kill?
But the key thing here is that he didn't. Now whether it was from lack of opportunity, lack of nerve, or a swelling of humanity and good sense, we'll never know. I don't purport to know. My default attitude on people like him is that he thought some kind of way, came into his base instincts out of grief, began to act in a way that I expect of people harboring racism, and didn't follow through. Thank God. I'm sure that he has had PLENTY of opportunities over the years to be a dick to black folk. My point is that, at least so far, nobody has come forward with anything other than he's a swell guy. By 'quiet racist' I mean that in the past decade, if he still has racist thoughts, he hasn't expressed them. Could he have said more? Sure. A person more in touch with his feelings, or who has spent any considerable amount of time thinking about it more than just a pulse of anger, might've reflected on this differently. Personally, that's my definition of White Privilege: He doesn't have to. Like, in my mind, that's the actual definition: the privilege of not having to consider anybody else's opinion, experience, or perspective other than your own. Not hate. Indifference.

As I said, he's a 66 year old White man from the UK lost in thought, recalling something very private in a public interview. I don't expect a damn thing anymore.

Now somebody like that piece of crap Mark Walhberg? Or Governor Northam? Wholly different stories...

Last edited:

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
That you grew up somewhere without flagarrant racism. That's a pretty damn hard feat.
There was racism but when I read about America it doesn't seem near as bad. I am from Scotland and I literally never saw someone of African origin until I went to uni at the age of 18. There was racism against people from India and Pakistan but generally sectarianism is a much bigger issue than racism. It's hate, it's just different hate.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
But the key thing here is that he didn't. Now whether it was from lack of opportunity, lack of nerve, or a swelling of humanity and good sense, we'll never know. I don't purport to know. My default attitude on people like him is that he thought some kind of way, came into his base instincts out of grief, began to act in a way that I expect of people harboring racism, and didn't follow through. Thank God. I'm sure that he has had PLENTY of opportunities over the years to be a dick to black folk. My point is that, at least so far, nobody has come forward with anything other than he's a swell guy. By 'quiet racist' I mean that in the past decade, if he still has racist thoughts, he hasn't expressed them. Could he have said more? Sure. A person more in touch with his feelings, or who has spent any considerable amount of time thinking about it more than just a pulse of anger, might've reflected on this differently. As I said, he's a 66 year old White man from the UK. I don't expect a damn thing anymore.

Now somebody like that piece of crap Mark Walberg? Wholly different story...
The key isn't that he didn't, at this time Northern island had a less than 1% black population and he staked out for a week. This dude plain didn't find anyone.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not. This is what "cancel" culture loves.
I'll be sure to mail Neeson some cookies for realizing revenge is bad.

(He has shown no realization of the virulent racism one must possess to only be stopped from lynching a black man simply because one wasn't found in a reasonable time frame, but who cares about that?)

Status
Not open for further replies.