• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Can you and a bunch of other posters in this thread not grasp why black members here are startled and not be so quick to say " it's all good, we forgive ya, past is the past".....?

Neeson " yeah I wanted to kill a random black dude 30 years ago"

Black posters "wtf...that's all levels of fucked up..."

Other posters "hey man wth is wrong with you guys, it was in the past, forgive it. I swear people just don't give anyone chances anymore"
More like this though.
Neeson: I remember being a piece of shit 40-50 years a go and having terrible racists thoughts which are a source of shame and regret for me, and that's why I'm trying to air them out unprompted.
Era: Boooo racist piece of shit, you haven't changed one bit.

You see how some of us think that it's just absurd that people here will regularly advocate for literal rapists and murders that are in jail to be given a second chance, but apparently Neeson having thoughts about doing something horrific is irredeemable?

No one has to "forgive" him for his past thoughts, but at least stop trying to paint him as an evil person right now.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
racism is pretty common too!
Of course, so I'm personally glad someone like him will admit to it, especially voluntarily. it's not about forgiving or forgetting, I guess I just think its important he thought this and then publicly reflected on it later rather than did it and hid it away. It doesn't make him 'better' in my eyes, but I'd still prefer it this way.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Neeson doesnt care that it's bad PR and just wanted to talk about it but I cant help but feel this is something you talk to a therapist about to get closure. Considering he didnt fole through with anything, I dont have any ill will towards him now to be honest but he should seek help
is it actually bad PR?

Era on aggregate seems to be endeared with it and he will only fare better by people to the right of Era.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He was better off not telling the story
Eh, I don't think so. Honesty about such an awful, terrible experience and personal actions in this particular subject should be broadcast as loud as possible to get the discussion going at all times, to get it out in the open rather than let awful people fester with such ideas. This is one more voice to the chorus of "violence and the idea of stereotypes absolutely warps and endangers the experience of people worldwide". That the ugliness of violence is so warping and unnatural to what we could be, rather that what we currently are. While he does get a little to abstract at the end the plea being made is that those feelings were and are truly awful, terrible, and about as dark and low as one can get.

No excuses, just honesty.

While we're here, I think everyone should read If He Hollers Let Him Go, Native Son, and Invisible Man for the flip side of the coin- narratives from strong black men totally demeaned, belittled, and emasculated in the worlds they inhabit simply because of the color of their skin, eventually resorting to transformative violence. All of these are cautionary tales and desperate, howling pleas for us to reach beyond what we so often sink to.

If you think this is "both sides"ing the argument, I don't know what to say.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
That's gonna be a yikes from me. Geez.

As a journalist, I'd be very ashamed of publishing this crap. She completely excuses him from the get-go in her article and never pushes any further for why he shared that story or anything like that. Completely juvenile reporting.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
...yeah this is too fucked up to just drop in an promo interview and walk off

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
To be transparent on the matter, the reason that I can understand his mindset (read: not excuse) is because of a past experience of my own. About a decade ago, my little sister was violently raped by a white man. I found out some time after, and it filled me with incredible, blinding rage.

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread what the fuck. All of you defending this can go burn in a ditch. A WHITE MAN almost lynched a RANDOM PERSON BECAUSE OF THEIR SKIN COLOR and it's okay he "changed". Can anyone say that this is normal? Or actions of a non racist person?

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Admitting to past bias and reflecting on how misguided, ignorant and dangerous it was shouldn't be frowned on, imo.
Yeah this, i think its healthy to realise that past thoughts, which, lets remember, didn't result in any actions or bad things happening, were misguided, racist and horrible is a healthy thing. He has clearly reflected on a time in his life where he wasnt as good a person as he is now.

It's not the same thing but i remember when i was in primary school (so like 7 years old) we used to go round the playground signing disgustingly racist football chants. I think back on that and realise how fucking terrible they were and wonder A) how that was acceptable as a football chant that would have been sang every week at my local football team (probably 3-4000 people singing disgusting lyrics) and B) why my 7 year old brain never understood how hurtful it would be to the subjects of the song.

Its good that Neeson also realises his actions werent acceptable and has grown as a person.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Even as a black person, I can't say I have any anger toward this, but I get where others are coming from.

Some of y'all are waaay too quick to forgive.

I personally can't get mad because he didn't actually do anything. And I can't speak to how I'd react if someone hurt someone close to me. Not that justifies that racism, but if he acknowledged its there and learned from it, what's the point of me getting mad at it. Why would I spend my Monday getting mad at this?

I do get annoyed at how selective we are with "they've grown and we can forgive them", but I'm not gonna write my own narrative for the guy to justify why I'm not frothing at this.

Pretty much were im at thought I do havr a few skeletons in my closet that if they get out I could get time because of things I did in anger. Im more willing to forgive him if didnt anymore transgressions for his dark thoughts, even if those thoughts are dispicable and he should havr gone to a shrink.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be transparent on the matter, the reason that I can understand his mindset (read: not excuse) is because of a past experience of my own. About a decade ago, my little sister was violently raped by a white man. I found out some time after, and it filled me with incredible, blinding rage.
Did it make you want to beat up every white man?

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah. I'm confused as well. He also didn't actually follow through. He's literally feeling bad for having racist thoughts in the past.
Count me up, too. He's literally talking about how hate breeds, how hate breeds more hate, how that destroys society, and it showed he was ashamed and broken for ever having entertained those thoughts.
Pretending that everybody is ever perfect and that racists are from another species is not healthy. He was a racist, as have been many others. Ceteris paribus, what's better, him opening up his regrettable past or just pretending he always was perfect? Stories of de-radicalized people are exactly what people in risk of radicalization need. They need a way forward, and if society doesn't provide one the Nazis will. I come from a region in Spain that, just like Northern Ireland, has a history of separatist terrorism that killed hundreds of people. You don't think many held radical thoughts back then? Is it good if people just pretended they were always good and everything was perfect save for a few bad apples?

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love how some people think his racism was borne out of his friend being raped when his first reaction to hearing about it "What colour was he?", which I'm sure is the first thing on the minds of all non-racists when they hear their friend was raped.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Time for Liam to fuck off into the sun. Walked the streets looking for someone black to kill like a racist murdering psychopath, I don't need to hear the excuses about how he claims to be reformed.

Nov 17, 2017
It sounds like he knows he fucked up and moved past it.

I dont see why everyone here is saying fuck Neeson. Are people not allowed to change?
Reading what he said, he seems to come away from the whole thing with the lesson that revenge is bad and you shouldn't pursue it because it doesn't solve anything. He contextualizes it in having grown up during the Troubles too.

But like, that account, it was far more than just a need for revenge, wasn't it? It was racially motivated. He was looking to kill any black guy who looked at him wrong. This is beyond just a "revenge is bad" thing to me and I think it's weird that he stopped before addressing that.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
The offputting part is how his racist impulse to just murder any black person is not really addressed. It's just kinda lumped in with the general hot blooded anger, as if it were reasonable part of the desire for revenge at the time.

I'm not saying he still feels this way and this is tough because this confesssion clearly came out of a long press junket induced haze than some considered reflection but there is more to this than a guy regretting the time he got angry.

The way I read it he's saying that his anger was unreasonable / undefendable. That the event was fuel for a culturally supported, racist, irrational anger. It doesn't seem lumped in - it seems like the whole point of what he's saying, to me.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Well if anyone needed any evidence that for a lot of people Black Lives don't matter even on Era this thread is proof of that.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uh, while I am glad that Liam Neeson got over his racism (I hope he did?)...

...I am not sure why he felt it necessary to deal with his demons publicly and in the most hamfisted way ever. I don't think any Black person needed to know that fucking Liam Neeson roamed the streets trying to kill the first Black guy he could find.

Oct 26, 2017
Even as a black person, I can't say I have any anger toward this, but I get where others are coming from.

Some of y'all are waaay too quick to forgive.

I personally can't get mad because he didn't actually do anything. And I can't speak to how I'd react if someone hurt someone close to me. Not that justifies that racism, but if he acknowledged its there and learned from it, what's the point of me getting mad at it. Why would I spend my Monday getting mad at this?

I do get annoyed at how selective we are with "they've grown and we can forgive them", but I'm not gonna write my own narrative for the guy to justify why I'm not frothing at this.
Yeah. My biggest and only holdup with this story is the piece about him growing up and learning from this experience. Maybe he has. He sure seems ashamed about what happened. But I can't forgive him until he actually puts words in his mouth and directly confronts the racism piece. The rape led to his anger, but asking what color the man was shows that his racism was there BEFORE, which furthered his anger. Why did he jump to asking about a person's skin color? He sounds ashamed of the violence he was going to do to a person, but whatever. I get the anger. I don't need to hear more about it. I want to hear more about why their skin color. Why is THAT what he jumped to asking her? He needs to answer to that before I say he has grown and matured.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best part about this is he learned that revenge is bad. Not that his hate crime thoughts were bad, just that it wouldn't solve anything.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Love how some people think his racism was borne out of his friend being raped when his first reaction to hearing about it "What colour was he?", which I'm sure is the first thing on the minds of all non-racists when they hear their friend was raped.

Whomst among us have not had racially motivated revenge fantasies

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit! I completely understand being consumed by anger, but wanting to kill an innocent person just because they share the skin color of the person you hate goes WAY beyond that. That's some deep fucking hatred.

I'm glad he's supposedly changed, but it ain't my place to decide if he deserves forgiveness.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and you went out with a machete hoping some white man would test you?

no? no.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Why in the absolute fuck did he share this? This is therapy stuff not some random interview.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, there was a time in my life when I wanted to kill every white kid I came across because a gang of skinheads jumped me and shattered my kneecaps with baseball bats. They topped that off with piss and threatened to do the same to my little sister if I reported them too. I was in a dark place for a good 2-3 months back then while also blind to all the white folks that helped me recover. Anger does that to you.

I'm not excusing Neeson and it doesn't look like he's excusing himself either. Anger and revenge can poison you and that's what he's trying to say imo.

Fuck. I'm really sorry that happened to you.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had some feelings that I'm not entirely proud of, yes. I wouldn't say every white man, but I was and still am deeply ashamed of my initial reaction.
Or to be more specific, did it make you want to beat up and kill the "first white bastard" you saw and had an altercation with? I can understand directing your hate towards the man who raped your sister (I'm deeply sorry that happened to her), if someone did anything remotely like that to any of my loved ones I'd want to beat the living shit out of them, but I don't see myself wanting to kill the next person that had the same skin color... That's what I have a problem with, not the fact Liam wanted to kill the rapist, but he wanted to kill a "black bastard" just because of the color of their skin.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Reading what he said, he seems to come away from the whole thing with the lesson that revenge is bad and you shouldn't pursue it because it doesn't solve anything. He contextualizes it in having grown up during the Troubles too.

But like, that account, it was far more than just a need for revenge, wasn't it? It was racially motivated. He was looking to kill any black guy who looked at him wrong. This is beyond just a "revenge is bad" thing to me and I think it's weird that he stopped before addressing that.
I think from a context point of view there would not have been a large volume of black men in Northern Ireland, especially during the troubles where Northern Ireland wasnt exactly the dream location to move to if you werent a native. In his rage induced mind the chances of a black man confronting him being the same black man that raped the victim would have been reasonably high.

Again this doesnt forgive the racially motivated thoughts he had and they were problematic but its probably not quite as cut and dried as "he wanted to kill all black people cos someone raped his friend"

Oct 28, 2017
Beerse, Belgium
Does Neeson have a history of racist actions?

Because if he has, this story about how he has changed, is complete bullshit.

Otherwise, it might be true that he has become a better person (which doesn't excuse what he has done in the past).

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had similar thoughts about white people. It's terrible and more than a little weird to admit to in a press-junket but I can't say I'm outraged by it. The journalist should definitely have questioned him more on the racism behind those feelings and ask him if he truly understood how terrible it was.

Was going to post something similar, but felt "feeling is mutual" was too reductive and wouldn't explain what I believe was Liam's true point. That's just me, though.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
he didn't even show that he learned the lesson. all i see is a bunch of jumps to conclusions because he merely talked about it.

Maybe he learned something maybe he didn't. But he did talk about it in a world where no white person wants to talk about it. It unfortunate people will criticize the timing as if there is the "right time" to talk about the shame you felt when you wanted to murder a black person. The way people are posting it makes me think they'd feel better off not knowing. If white people need to have real talks about race, then society cannot also say that they shouldn't just because the truth is upsetting.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
not gonna fault people for not giving him a charitable read of the situation. he let the cat out of the bag, both he and the interviewer flubbed any sort of exploration of the issues at hand and he apparently has no interest in following up on it.

Nov 20, 2017
That's gonna be a yikes from me. Geez.

As a journalist, I'd be very ashamed of publishing this crap. She completely excuses him from the get-go in her article and never pushes any further for why he shared that story or anything like that. Completely juvenile reporting.

Why are you shifting the topic onto the reporter instead of the interviewee?

Nov 30, 2018
Neeson hasn't done anything like that since then so what's the issue?

Most people do it repeatedly. This was also his own personal story.

Status
Not open for further replies.