• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand why he said this in an interview voluntarily.
An immense amount of guilt that has built on his conscious over the decades.

I mean if it happened, I'd rather he confess to those intentions then hide them. Makes my life easier in who to watch out for and stuff

That is approximately the worst possible time to workshop through heavy feelings of something that happened 40-50 years ago fam
Also this.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I sure as shit don't respect his horrible thought process back then, but I feel he should have kept this story to himself. Still, the overall focus on how revenge just isn't worth it, as it is illogical, was well-put.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
people saying he changed but theres really no comment on the racism in that story.

the point of his story is that "revenge is bad"

i guess everyone just filled in the blanks about him no longer being a virulent racist.

I think everyone is assuming that when he says he was having "horrible thoughts" and that he was "ashamed to say it" he's saying that both the racism and violent revenge fantasies are.

He really should have directly confronted his racism of the time and condemned it.

Darknight34

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
Idk exactly how I would react.. But if I was in his shoes and someone had a vague description of the guy.. I would be looking all the time, and I would struggle not to judge people. I wouldn't go his route, and hope to just kill anyone of the same skin color to get a feeling of revenge though. I understand the core feeling though.. I think. He is one weird actor though.. Does he get a bit of "revenge" in these movies!?

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think everyone is assuming that when he says he was having "horrible thoughts" and that he was "ashamed to say it" he's saying that both the racism and violent revenge fantasies are.
These are my thoughts on it. I could be wrong, of course, but at least that's what I took from his confession.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me it implies that he came to grips and realized what he was doing was wrong. I agree that he could have been more direct but it seems like he just blurted this shit out without really thinking about it, when it suddenly occurs to him that he's talking to a reporter. He disavowed "revenge" but he needs to be much more direct in disavowing racism.

To me it reads like he was telling an anecdote to sell a movie he's promoting and realised halfway through telling it how bad it made him look.

Yeah, I can see that interpretation as well. I agree with this post:

people saying he changed but theres really no comment on the racism in that story.

i guess everyone just filled in the blanks about him no longer being a virulent racist.

To be clear: He needs to be a hell of a lot more direct in his inevitable update than an off the cuff story on a press junket about him premeditating a hate murder.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
People saying Liam Newton has changed need to grapple with the fact that he went from being somebody who wanted to commit a racist murder to somebody who thought talking about his desire to commit a racist murder would help his movie be more successful.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No you reading it like that. Him not saying racism is bad leaves it up to interpretation

Oh I'm not reading it like that, my previous posts in this thread make that clear.

He needed to directly confront the racism and didn't, probably because the racism is much more shameful to him than the revenge fantasy.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Glad he confessed and came to terms with what a horrible person he was being before someone got hurt but just wow, that's a lot to take in

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
An immense amount of guilt that has built on his conscious over the decades.

I mean if it happened, I'd rather he confess to those intentions then hide them. Makes my life easier in who to watch out for and stuff

So talk to your family, your close friends, etc... Not a journalist during a press run for your new movie you're trying to promote.

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Stalking the streets for a week looking for a random "Black bastard" to kill is not revenge. It's a psycho that's is dangerous and happens to be white and rich it's all hand waved away. People are so blind in their guilt

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hey Liberal Allies, y'all seem to have a habit of doing everything in your power of pissing black people right the fuck off. Should probably stop doing that.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
i think that most non-black people wanting for neeson to be redeemable, it's because we all want to be redeemable, we all have some things we regret and we would never do again, anyone who says "i was immaculate and perfect" is lying, should be the enviroment, the upbringing or any number of things, we all have things we regret.

for people to wanting to no be labeled as racists forever for actions or thoughts when they were young, it is a fair sentiment i think.

things we said or did 20 years ago do not make us bad persons today, we all want to believe that.

the ideal thing would be never had this kind of thoughts and actions, but not everybody grow ups in the same, i thing the end goal is break out of that kind of behaviors and attitudes.

Buddy there's a difference between being scared of a black guy on the street one time and walking around with the deliberate, premeditated intention to commit a lynching

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Sp he admits he had those thoughts, what did he do to make sure he doesn't think like that again? Are people to assume it just went away?

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
What an awful and shameful thing to admit, the guilt and shame of it must have been immense for him to come out with it in an interview. The trauma of a close family member being raped must have been horrendous, and his actions and feelings were the direction of his anger at the one thing he knew - the rapists' skin colour. Had he been told that the rapist was catholic or protestant would he have wandered around the catholic or protestant neighbourhoods waiting to be attacked and to take vengeance on an innocent person? Probably - its likely he would have discriminated against anyone regardless of what race or group they were from. It sounds like he was a pretty shitty person in those days, but that was the nature of Northern Ireland in those days. At least Neeson sees that he was a shitty and discriminatory person in those days, and seems that he is sorry and shameful about it.

I understand completely the hatred that a lot of the members here have shown in reaction to this story. Keeping on the theme of the Troubles I still read articles on a regular basis about outrage against those who perpetrated crimes and attacks during the Troubles who are now free. I see how it can be difficult to forgive someone for holding those feelings even years ago.
I notice that a lot of posters are ignoring the fact that the reason he knew the rapist's skin color was because that was seemingly so important to him.

I'd really like to hear some explanation from Liam about why he even asked that question.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Though I am in no position to rule anything, I would like to imagine everyone can understand the concept of irrational rage. Though the racism present in his is more than arguably inexcusable.

However, the overall problem that is present is that he physically brandished a weapon and went looking for a black man to randomly kill. Irrational racism is bad, but actively planning and trying to commit a racist murder is another thing altogether.

So, had this just been a story of "I used to be racist but I'm not anymore.", you could very much argue that it's a good thing for him to share it and we can learn from it and so forth.

However, that's not the story he told. The story he told is that he was planning to commit a murder for about a week and only never did it because he didn't find someone that fit the mark.

That's pretty fucking horrific.

Desparadina

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Real funny how some ppl on this forum are so ready to fall over and forgive him when the black person he could have chosen as a victim could be anybody they know and care about. It's crazy how many of you are willing to speak over and try to belittle black people when we don't fuck with all this non needed sympathetic bullshit when this dude was ready to kill any black person for something they didn't even do.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
So dude:
Racist
Thinks metoo is over the top

Wonder what other shit he is hiding?
Right, he said about the movement that "there is a bit of a witch hunt happening".

https://www.vulture.com/2018/01/liam-neeson-says-hollywood-reckoning-a-bit-of-a-witch-hunt.html

The more he talks about these subjects, the clearer an image that forms in regards to Neeson and where he stands on social issues. Some one should give him an open mic and start asking him random questions and see what bullshit he delivers.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Not to derail over a minor detail, but what does Neeson mean by a "tosh"? I gather it's a weapon, but is it a club, a knife? Googling for defintions and etymology is not turning up anything helpful.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Dude I don't have to do that. My man did that for himself, for free.

Look, let me help some folks here understand my opinion and view regarding this article, and now this forum:

Show and quote the part in that article where Liam Neeson says ANYTHING that resembles "I know that I fucked up, and I'm sorry for what I did." Or, "I was in emotional pain, and realize that what I did was out of pocket, and would never do something like that again." Or even something more typical like "I am not racist. I did something racist in the past out of anger that I feel bad for, but that shit is the old me, and not me today."

PROTIP: There's none of that in the article.

But there's folks who've gotten to that conclusion. How did you get there? Where in the article does this dude say that he's done painting all black people with a bad brush. Because all I'm seeing is him saying "vengence begets more vengence." For all you know, he's still living that shit. He still has that little bit of uncertainty and doubt in the back of his mind any time he sees a black man saying "Is THAT guy the one who raped my family? How about that one? That one looks like he could be a real asshole, I wonder if he's the one..."

Yeah, the closest he gets to touching on why it's fucked up is:
"It's awful," Neeson continues, a tremble in his breath. "But I did learn a lesson from it, when I eventually thought, 'What the fuck are you doing,' you know?"

Like, okay, an admission it's bad, but not really specifics or better confronting why it's such. Was it just the thought of murdering someone, with no consideration of the fact he immediately jumped to revenge by proxy of race? Was it the fact that he was willing to condemn a whole swath of people based on the vaguest account of what was done to his friend? Was it none of that, and just the fact he focused on revenge rather than helping said friend?

And this is all in the context of trying to rationalise where his character in the film is coming from - how such an irrational desire springs forth - right or wrong. That's just... not really the best place in which to leave a lack of clarification on how and why he might have almost murdered someone.

Not to derail over a minor detail, but what does Neeson mean by a "tosh"? I gather it's a weapon, but is it a club, a knife? Googling for defintions and etymology is not turning up anything helpful.

It's cosh, meaning club

Nov 17, 2017
I think from a context point of view there would not have been a large volume of black men in Northern Ireland, especially during the troubles where Northern Ireland wasnt exactly the dream location to move to if you werent a native. In his rage induced mind the chances of a black man confronting him being the same black man that raped the victim would have been reasonably high.

Again this doesnt forgive the racially motivated thoughts he had and they were problematic but its probably not quite as cut and dried as "he wanted to kill all black people cos someone raped his friend"
I never said he wanted to "kill all black people." In context, he said he went out looking for someone, a "black bastard." You don't even need to exaggerate it into all black people, targeting a random black person is truly evil nonetheless. I don't think where he was and the time period changes anything either. Unless you think there was one black guy in town and everyone knew him, but then Neeson wouldn't have been looking for some "black bastard", he would've been looking for a specific person. The odds of him somehow targeting the right person doesn't change anything, he didn't care if he got the wrong person as long as he got to take his revenge out on them.

That is besides my original point anyway. He wraps this whole thing up as having anger issues and learning that revenge isn't good. However he makes no attempt to address the racism he harbored (harbors). He tells the story as if being black was just a random detail of this rapist, like he went looking for a guy with a specific tattoo or birthmark or fit an actual description but when you rewrite the story that way, it doesn't carry the same meaning. Imagine if he was told the rapist had a nose ring and so he went looking to kill some nose ring wearing bastard. Still a terrible and awful thing to do but it's just picking something random. A nose ring is just an accessory a person can wear, it's not at all like something such as being black. When you change it to a black man, it adds this hate, this racism that exists separate from general anger and desire for revenge. Remember, Neeson asked what color the person was. The racist motivation here is absolutely something that Neeson or the interviewer should have addressed but failed to as they didn't deem it important.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

People love a redemption narrative. So much that their brain fills in the blanks.

Romez

Nov 11, 2017
To everyone saying 'he learned from his actions' can you pinpoint exactly what he learned other than it was 'terrible'? To me it sounds like he learned revenge is bad, that's it.

This article is trash and so is the interviewer. Dude drops this in the middle of the interview and the interviewer doesn't push him on it further and even excuses him to a degree in the article.

One of his first thoughts in learning someone close to him was raped was 'what colour was he?' LMAO.

Him wanting revenge is understandable, not right but understandable. Him wanting to kill some random black dude who had nothing to do with it? FOH. This is the same BS mindset of the people who want to shoot up mosques because 'Muslims did 9/11'.

Trash.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He sounds fucking insane. How people are equating this to your standard shitty purse clutching racism is beyond me. He wanted to kill somebody.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I notice that a lot of posters are ignoring the fact that the reason he knew the rapist's skin color was because that was seemingly so important to him.

I'd really like to hear some explanation from Liam about why even asked that question.
I can get that. I mean it's just a simple step from "what did he look like". Skin colour is a broad place to start, I might do the same if I was needing a description of someone. It's the fact that he stopped after "black" and ran off that's the telling part. No "tall/short", no "fat/thin" or "hair/bald". Nope, black was enough and with that he set off to club someone to death.

I'd imagine if I ever found myself that enraged and it was targeted at someone, I'd be a bit more specific about what they looked and sounded like.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the fourth race-related thing that's hit big news

It's been 4 days
Never fails.

Literally grew up in the troubles, could have picked any number of likely a hundred stories to compare to this one. What does he pick? The one where he was ready to go out and lynch some random black man because of his anger and impotence.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
"What colour were they? " was one of the first things he asked.

This, on top of the fact that he wanted to kill a person because of the color of their skin. I can't possibly see how anyone can think "Well he only wanted to murder black people, but doesn't anymore, all goodzies now!"

I'm white and can't possibly imagine what it's like to be black and reading a story like this, but in a world where black people are historically and currently discriminated against, lynched, enslaved, and more, I don't see how you could forgive him only because he doesn't want to kill black people anymore. That line of reasoning is like the incel/fedora "Well I didn't rape her, so she should reward me with sex." thing.

Nov 17, 2017
Exactly. Attacking strangers because someone who had the same skin tone as them did something wrong is insanity. You don't just have feelings like that. They are the result of deep seated issues. Some one should ask him, if the victim had told him that her attacker was white, would he have been stalking the streets praying that any random white man would attack him so he could take his revenge. This shit is always directed at minorities.
Exactly. I think this is also significant to my point, weekev

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He sounds fucking insane. How people are equating this to your standard shitty purse clutching racism is beyond me.

Well in his irrational rage he found enough mental acuity to ask if the dude who raped his friend was black, which is kind of a weird detail to ask in the middle of a murderous revenge rage.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Has he ever claimed to be a liberal ally?
I'm not talking about Liam Neeson. I'm talking about the people here who are upset black people aren't forgiving him because a black man was lucky enough not to cross paths with him that week.

Fuck that noise. And Liam Neeson.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
How in the fuck can I know this guy is not racist anymore when his racism was so intense that he just wanted to kill random black people? I mean the first thing he asked to her was his skin colour for fucks sake!

It's no wonder some black folks here can't forgive him. If he truly cares about it and he truly is not racist he may need to work his ass a little more, because someone that goes from "I want to kill black people" to "I'm not racist anymore" is such a big change to happen lightly. Dude basically said "that was bad" and thats it.
This is not the redemption story some people here are implying it is.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Never fails.

Literally grew up in the troubles, could have picked any number of likely a hundred stories to compare to this one. What does he pick? The one where he was ready to go out and lynch some random black man because of his anger and impotence.

And he said he was in that state for a WEEK

A WEEK

How you gonna be on tilt for a week on that level, what the fuck

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Liam: "I really wanted to go around and just hoping a nigger would try something so I could shank him. But that was in the past, I'm better now"

ResetEra: "Such growth, so admirable. Good for him for not wanting to kill niggers anymore"

I might have thoughts but it's too early and I'm too decaffeinated to share them and not make a damn fool of myself. I guess it's good to have a reminder that the mind-numbingly awful confessional essay isn't solely the purview of racist white women

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
To everyone saying 'he learned from his actions' can you pinpoint exactly what he learned other than it was 'terrible'? To me it sounds like he learned revenge is bad, that's it.

This article is trash and so is the interviewer. Dude drops this in the middle of the interview and the interviewer doesn't push him on it further and even excuses him to a degree in the article.

One of his first thoughts in learning someone close to him was raped was 'what colour was he?' LMAO.

Him wanting revenge is understandable, not right but understandable. Him wanting to kill some random black dude who had nothing to do with it? FOH. This is the same BS mindset of the people who want to shoot up mosques because 'Muslims did 9/11'.

Trash.
100% agreed. The push from some people to "forgive" this insanity is sickening. Hunting people just because they share skin color with someone who did something bad is not a mindset that just goes away from "years of reflection" and a single article expressing regret

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I'm confused by this story. Like, he was making a point, but I'm struggling what that point was. I THINK I get it, but what the fuck?! Maybe he should have kept it to himself.

He's in a movie about revenge and he says he understands it personally and how cyclically destructive and irrational it can be.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing violent racism
seems like some regular ass thoughts tbh. lightweight impressed he was able to reflect on it and come to a more nuanced understanding of his actions and way of thinking. id be trying to fuck up any and everything off the strength of such a foul thing to do to someone you care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.