• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Neeson literally seems so regretful of the incident, and his racist tendencies.

It was 40 years ago, he regrets it, and has moved on.

He's probably telling the story as a lesson to others about the wrongs of his ways.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How?

Just tell me how it ruins any chance of rehab. What exactly is stopping someone from getting rehabilitated?

Because, if you admit that at one time you were wrong, people, like in this thread, will hold it against you and want to destroy your life. So, instead of people modeling that you can grow as a person and change, people keep quiet and nothing changes.

Part of change and rehabilitation is publicly admitting you were wrong, but if that is now blocked off, things will just get worse.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neeson literally seems so regretful of the incident, and his racist tendencies.

It was 40 years ago, he regrets it, and has moved on.

He's probably telling the story as a lesson to others about the wrongs of his ways.

He. Tried. To. Indiscriminately. Murder. Black. People.

That's not something you can just regret and move on from.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lesson here.

I'mma let Liam go on his personal journey and hope he comes out of it a better person.
There's the idea of, "why would he say that?" well I say if its true, say it. He's not unique.
He just gave all a glimpse.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
I bet a lot of the excusing of his racism wouldn't be happening if Neeson wasn't white.
I am also almost 100% sure it wouldn't be happening if the focus of his racism wasn't black people.
Not shocked by which posters are excusing it either.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
So a black dude raped a person you know and now KILLING any other random black dude will be fine as a way of revenge?
That's not "oh the silly old me was a tad irrational", that's fucking idiotic.

I believe that is his point. Anger makes people very irrational and it just keeps up in a vicious circle.

How the hell do you know that he's changed?

Unchanged person wouldn't be using it as a horror story of how anger made him a horrible person. Just the fact that he is talking about it as a bad thing says he has changed/learned from it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe these things take time for people who aren't marginalized to understand. I remember back on the old board getting into heated debate with several posters about why Tim Cook was wrong to say that the only way for Apple's board to become more diverse was to "lower their standards". A lot of the posters simple were unable to see beyond their view of being the default to understand why that was so offensive. That was only a few years ago and I'd like to think that there's no way today that those comments would be debatable. Perhaps years from now I'll be able to think back on this thread and how silly it was that there was a time when posters would make up imaginary redemption arcs in their minds.

I just think you need a little bit of empathy, put yourself in the position of the marginalized. I dunno, I think me not being in a marginalized group and not even be able to fully understand what minorities have to go though (because I don't suffer it) it's enough reason to not take these situations lightly.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Because, if you admit that at one time you were wrong, people, like in this thread, will hold it against you and want to destroy your life. So, instead of people modeling that you can grow as a person and change, people keep quiet and nothing changes.

Part of change and rehabilitation is publicly admitting you were wrong, but if that is now blocked off, things will just get worse.
Who wants to destroy Neeson's life exactly? And why are Neeson's efforts to be an example somehow blocked off by the justified anger from people? If he's changed, he can make an effort to show it and let it be clear. This anecdote does little more than show that he was and might still be an insane bigot. He should be trying to be better for himself. Not hoping people will be kind and nice to him after admitting to murderously stalking black innocents.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
Wellllll he opened this back up, so he needs to be prepared to answer further.

But, I'm also prepared to believe he's not the same person anymore, IF he can convince me.

So far, and maybe I've not seen everything related to this, he's not apologized for the racism.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
The thread title does not do this story justice at all. What the actual fuck?!

Chaos-Theory

Dec 6, 2018
Don't know why Neeson decided to air this out. But what did though was disgusting. For more than a week, he set out to target any random black man with the intention of killing him. I'm just glad this never happened.

And to all you gaslighting or playing Devil's Advocate, you're not cute.

Let us flip the script: if Neeson was black would you call this personal growth?

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
The dudes takeway from this was violence begets more violence. Which is a stupid takeaway when he was planning to kill an inocent by stander. I'm not convinced he learned a single thing if that's his takeawy. It makes it sound like that innocent black person his was going to kill was at fault.

Oct 25, 2017

Who is trying to destroy his life?
What the fuck fam? Can't even ask questions about his racism without some melon crying about him "losing everything".
Stop it.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Y'know, reflecting on it, an unmentioned thing is that this is not a story about how revenge is bad. Revenge is taken against someone who has wronged you. Actual revenge would be understandable, if damnable. He didn't try to get the guy who raped his friend, he tried to goad a fight with someone who has nothing to do with the rapist other than skin color. There's no "revenge" here, there is ONLY racism, and the fact that he could frame it as such is a sign that, even if he's not so overtly unhinged in his behavior anymore, the dude still has not really unpacked this in any meaningful way for himself because he doesn't understand that the very fact that he could justify violence against some "black bastard" that had nothing to do with him AS revenge is some pretty intense racism.

Briarios

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Excusing Racism as a "Mind Crime"; History of Severe Infractions.
You blame black people for holding this against him?

You're holding him accountable for a mind crime? Are you the thought police? He didn't actually do anything ... He recounted how messed up and wrong he was for thinking this way. But, he didn't actually do anything to anyone. So, you think we should just disparage anyone who has had a terrible thought or intent based on race or belief? That's probably most the planet, including PoC.

If we can't talk honestly about about how culture and events have affected us without having our lives blown apart, it'll be impossible to change anything.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018

How is anyone in here destroying Neeson's life?

I'm not sure if I've said this before but I'll say it now. You don't publicly admit something and try to better yourself because you want other's approval.

If you do publicly admit something people are not obligated to welcome you with open arms or forgive you. Regardless of whether or not that happens a person who truly wants to change will still continue down that path.

No one is stopping someone from publicly admitting they were wrong, no one at all. Publicly apologize if you must and continue on your own personal road of change. Do things that show you're sorry regardless of whether or not people pat you on the back or applaud you for it.

Also why is the kind of thinking you espouse only brought up when it comes to racism? If a paedophile came out and said, "Well I molested 1000 kids but now I know that was wrong and want forgiveness" How do you think people would react? How would you react and how would you want other people to react?

I bet you wouldn't be saying the same things you are now. I bet no one in this thread on that forgiveness kick would be saying the same things.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like something to tell your therapist, and not used as part of a publicity round with journos. I mean, I'm glad he didnt kill anyone and came around to see how awful that thinking was. But phew.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
It's frustrating to see you and many other posters twisting my words like this.

People should be held accountable. Racism should be called out. I have never said otherwise in the few sentences I posted.

Neeson is not owed redemption and has done nothing to deserve it thus far. Plus his career will likely continue on as normal. People love excusing the abhorrent racism of celebrities they like, as seen in this thread.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
You're holding him accountable for a mind crime? Are you the thought police? He didn't actually do anything ... He recounted how messed up and wrong he was for thinking this way. But, he didn't actually do anything to anyone. So, you think we should just disparage anyone who has had a terrible thought or intent based on race or belief? That's probably most the planet, including PoC.

If we can't talk honestly about about how culture and events have affected us without having our lives blown apart, it'll be impossible to change anything.
A terrible thought isn't going around looking for random black person to kill for over a week. Your bordering on attempted murder at that point. There's barely any black people in Northern ireland in the first place. The odds weren't in his favour to encounter such a scenario. it was pure luck no one got killed.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Folks, those of you downplaying his actions and so quick to defend him really need to get perspective. If this had been a popular black actor like Idris Elba, Denzel, Michael B. Jordan, Jodan Peele or anyone of a skin color other than white and they came out with this exact same person directed at killing random white people, you would be condemning them like there is no tomorrow.

Your diet racism is still racism.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
He acknowledges that having vengeful thoughts is harmful. Cool.

Anything about the racist aspect of it?

Personally, my take on this story would have been completely different if Neeson looped around to addressing the deeply racist problem of this entire scenario.

But he just... doesn't.

Like, I totally get that Era at times can be unrelenting and unforgiving, but when people say "oh, Neeson surely changed," I'm just like "mean... has he though? Based on this interview, I have no fucking clue if he came to any other conclusion besides 'revenge is bad.'"

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Let us flip the script: if Neeson was black, would you call this personal growth?
If Neeson were black in Ireland stalking around with a weapon to kill the first white person he saw, well, he would've easily found one, for one thing. He either would've been manhandled/killed in the act by bystanders or cops, or arrested after the fact assuming Ireland is nicer than America is to black people who commit racial crimes against white people. He'd either be left to rot in jail for the rest of his life or released back into society if- again, Ireland is nicer than America- with little hope of status ascension. Subsequently, he never would've had the chance to even try to become a movie star with a flagrantly racist past with which ERA can latch onto as a redemption story in the first place. Nobody here would've known he existed outside of maybe some true crime television shows if the crime was heinous enough to appear on such a thing, at which point ERA would dismiss him as an irredeemable criminal and we'd all go on about our business.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Are you fucking serious? Yes we're holding him accountable. We're not fucking arresting him. He's not about to hang from his supposed "mind crime". The greater issue is, he's barely scratched the surface of the actual issues he should be reckoning with. He's just come to the conclusion that revenge against innocents is wrong. He doesn't show to have wrestled with his toxic masculinity or his racism. Children fucking know you shouldn't take out your anger on people who have nothing to do with it, yet it took actually going out with a bludgeon and stalking black people hoping for one to "cross him" for Liam to learn such a thing. If he needed that much just to learn a baseline mindset, why should anyone believe he's learned any more from it when he's not even brought up how much more relevant those internalized ideas are?

mechs

Banned
Oct 1, 2018
Liam: "I really wanted to go around and just hoping a nigger would try something so I could shank him. But that was in the past, I'm better now"

ResetEra: "Such growth, so admirable. Good for him for not wanting to kill niggers anymore"

Basically

Seems like a direct opposite to the Kevin hart thread where the majority of the thread was saying Kevin hasn't changed (although he hadn't said gay jokes in x years)

But now a white actor who made some popular films said he had the ting out and was ready to fucking kill any black person - but had a change of mind..we can all say AWHHHHHH!

Fucking pathetic...all of you mans

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Look. If I admit to doing some horrible racist shit in the past but I have changed my ways and I am no longer like that, its up to the individual to look past what I did. They can base that on whatever criteria they want. It's not some duty of others to forgive me. It was my choice to admit it to grow as a person on my own terms. If that means actually having to deal with some consequences for the shit I did then so be it. Especially if I went on to become rich and famous. You don't like me because I used go lookin for N words to kill? I fail to see the issue with that. Nah, please still come see my movie and support me in becoming even more rich because I admitted that what I did was wrong. Actually, you're the asshole for not accepting my non apology.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"Decided not to murder a random black dude" is a pretty weak accomplishment, FOH.

Imagine that shit popping up on your end-of-life Achievements page.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
You're holding him accountable for a mind crime? Are you the thought police? He didn't actually do anything ... He recounted how messed up and wrong he was for thinking this way. But, he didn't actually do anything to anyone.

Are you fucking serious? He walked around for a week hoping to encounter a black person so he could kill them. He voluntarily gave this information up on an interview and we are judging him based on what he said.

Do you know what thought policing is? Miss me with this bullshit.

So, you think we should just disparage anyone who has had a terrible thought or intent based on race or belief? That's probably most the planet, including PoC.

I think if you come out and tell a story like this you need to minimally acknowledge how fucking racist this is which he has not done. This isn't a small thing, this is fucked up in some of the worst ways possible.

Where did he indicate how he addressed his racism? Where did he indicate how he changed?

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Neeson has millions and millions of dollars. Even if this DOES end his career, a huge unforced error of publicly admitting to having been very very racist is not exactly a sympathetic backstory, nor are the material consequences very dire for him.

Like, seriously, don't be fucking dense. The dude has to actually earn forgiveness, and he's not even owed it in the first place.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
What exactly is the issue you think is exacerbated or made worse by the fact that people aren't willing to let this pass with a "my bad"? What actions do you sincerely think are in the way of Neeson's rehabilitation? Why is our justified anger some sort of stopping block for Neeson's supposed journey to be a better person? Don't you think that someone sincerely trying to do better, especially after an incident like this, should be able to understand that not everyone is willing to soften on him just because he's made a first step? Shouldn't he be eager to make those steps for himself and for the goal of showing he's actually sorry for his bigoted violent mindset despite what anyone else thinks?

It's more the level of anger I take issue with. People in this thread are acting more angry and upset than they were in threads about monsters like Weinstein.

By all means call him out. I'm just not a fan of spewing vitriol at a man trying to do better. It's just depressing. I want people to get better. I sincerely do. I also think this is just a problem that's inherent with forums. There's no nuance. It's either "Fuck Liam" or "He has nothing to apologize for". I think he can do better and so can a lot of us.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

If you want people to be able to own their shit they have to actually own their shit. Neeson was ready and willing to murder a black man just for being black. He was going to end his life if someone was unfortunate enough to set him off.

But people on a message board saying they don't like him now, that's life ending. His whole life has truly been blown apart by forces entirely out of his control.

It's more the level of anger I take issue with. People in this thread are acting more angry and upset than they were in threads about monsters like Weinstein.

By all means call him out. I'm just not a fan of spewing vitriol at a man trying to do better. It's just depressing. I want people to get better. I sincerely do. I also think this is just a problem that's inherent with forums. There's no nuance. It's either "Fuck Liam" or "He has nothing to apologize for". I think he can do better and so can a lot of us.

Don't do this shit.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
'hey guys remember that time i walked around town with a lead pipe, hoping some black dude would look at me funny so I could brain him?'
the unreality of saying eh, no big deal, no one should judge you for that, you didn't actually hurt anyone.
he feels this is a relatable instance that many should be able to learn from.

so is this all about Liam, or is there something that points at society at large?

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
If the person would have been white, he would have committed murder and never become a famous actor, because there are so many in Ireland it would have been easy to provoke one. Or would he not have gone that way if the perpetrator was white? I think we know the answer.
He was a Catholic growing up in a Protestant town, so chances are he would've faced some deep deep shit, given that the police at the time were predominantly the latter and had a history of brutality towards the former.

If anything, he should know better than most white people what prejudice feels like :/

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

There's little room for nuance when it comes to stalking street corners for a week hoping to murder a black man.

You can't "both sides" an attempted hate crime.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

Dude imagine if this guy killed someone you know in his childish vengeful escapade of his. Are you really trying to say you'd be so eager to forgive and forget this nonsese? The dude tried for over a week. That's not a simple one off irrational moment. He woke in the morning and decided I want to kill a black person. Went to sleep, woke up and decided he wants to kill a black person, again and again and again. This went on for fucking days.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're holding him accountable for a mind crime? Are you the thought police?.

aCPf5vUkpqNddz5PRJQ_BmfQrhAGJkOYzNWdcofwE8A.jpg

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

It is perfectly fine to tell someone who admitted to what Neeson did to go fuck themselves, and the only way you consider this a true inhibition for personal growth is if you believe that people are obligated to just forgive him on the spot. People who are interested in personal growth are not seeking out the validation of everyone. They're doing it to simply be better people. That's why the fuck it's called "personal growth." If you do some fuckery and aren't willing to change simply because the people and groups affected aren't acting like Jesus turning the other cheek, then you're not actually interested in personal growth. You're interested in trying to cater favor and butter people up to get back in their good graces without actually putting in the effort.

So, sorry people have a high bar of forgiveness with regards to trying to lynch a black man and not going through with it simply because one couldn't be found after a week. What are we thinking?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

Even if we take his word for it that he didn't physically harm anyone, he was someone walking the streets for an entire week, with a weapon, looking to intimidate and threaten people based on the color of their skin. That is not "nothing".

jipewithin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How difficult is it to not want to kill black people?
Replies like this really make me question how many has been in a situation where your mind goes blank and you are simply filled with primal, pure rage. Its ugly and the most despicable thoughts come up.

Of course that is racist to the extreme, he obviously is/was racist. It's alarming he didn't address that at all.

But simplifying something like this (how humans are deep down irrational and fucked up) is just dumb and sadly very 2019. I hope he elaborates this story further, very weird to bring something so messed up to public. For simple publicity stunt seems way off the mark.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Liam Neeson, Black History Month no less.

Fuck him completely

Status
Not open for further replies.