• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
It's more the level of anger I take issue with. People in this thread are acting more angry and upset than they were in threads about monsters like Weinstein.

By all means call him out. I'm just not a fan of spewing vitriol at a man trying to do better. It's just depressing. I want people to get better. I sincerely do. I also think this is just a problem that's inherent with forums. There's no nuance. It's either "Fuck Liam" or "He has nothing to apologize for". I think he can do better and so can a lot of us.

Don't tell people off for being angry at this. And for fucks sake he's not "trying to be better". He's not even acknowledged the magnitude of his horrific racism. He said all of this while promoting his movie. So yeah fuck Liam.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You're holding him accountable for a mind crime? Are you the thought police? He didn't actually do anything ... He recounted how messed up and wrong he was for thinking this way. But, he didn't actually do anything to anyone. So, you think we should just disparage anyone who has had a terrible thought or intent based on race or belief? That's probably most the planet, including PoC.

If we can't talk honestly about about how culture and events have affected us without having our lives blown apart, it'll be impossible to change anything.
Yes, the mind crime of physically prowling the streets looking for a black person to murder.

The fuck is this.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Replies like this really make me question how many has been in a situation where your mind goes blank and you are simply filled with primal, pure rage. Its ugly and the most despicable thoughts come up.

Of course that is racist to the extreme, he obviously is/was racist. It's alarming he didn't address that at all.

But simplifying something like this (how humans are deep down irrational and fucked up) is just dumb and sadly very 2019. I hope he elaborates this story further, very weird to bring something so messed up to public. For simple publicity stunt seems way off the mark.

Just to be specific, his mind did not go blank, his mind went "was the rapist black".

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Replies like this really make me question how many has been in a situation where your mind goes blank and you are simply filled with primal, pure rage. Its ugly and the most despicable thoughts come up.

Of course that is racist to the extreme, he obviously is/was racist. It's alarming he didn't address that at all.

But simplifying something like this (how humans are deep down irrational and fucked up) is just dumb and sadly very 2019. I hope he elaborates this story further, very weird to bring something so messed up to public. For simple publicity stunt seems way off the mark.
Replies like this make me question how many have been on the receiving end of anti-black hatred and violence.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The logic used to justify Liam Neeson's attempted hate crime (he was in a bad state of mind, he was a victim to rage) can be used to defend any hate crime. And it has. Black men have been lynched for centuries because they happened upon the wrong angry white man at the wrong time.

These excuses cannot be allowed to enter the public discourse.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The logic used to justify Liam Neeson's attempted hate crime (he was in a bad state of mind, he was a victim to rage) can be used to defend any hate crime. And it has. Black men have been lynched for centuries because they happened upon the wrong angry white man at the wrong time.

Exactly

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Don't tell people off for being angry at this. And for fucks sake he's not "trying to be better". He's not even acknowledged the magnitude of his horrific racism. He said all of this while promoting his movie. So yeah fuck Liam.

There are a lot of bad people out there. I just don't want them to stay in hiding. I want them to become better people.

To be perfectly honest, a lot of my posts come from a place where I'm scared that seeing stuff like this deters some people from opening up. I'm scared that by getting mad at someone for opening up it sends the wrong message.

I'm also understanding that it's not the opening up that most people have a problem with.

Emiya777

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Kinda a slippery slope when you look at it from both sides, obviously these comments have racist undertones but I can understand the anger he must have felt.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
There are a couple of issues here and I'm not even sure I quite understand ERA's reaction.

1. Liam came out and revealed some shit that he did a long time ago, and reflected on how horrible he felt about it and how bad it was. He wasn't EXPOSED. It wasn't UNCOVERED or a SLIP UP. He revealed it as a teachable moment? A moment of reflection? Whatever, this is the VERY definition of somebody growing and sharing at their own expense. It was a sacrifice and revealing, because it would've NEVER come up had he not brought it up during this time. Conversely, celebrity Tweets from years ago are EXPOSED all the time, and the celebrity has to back track and make some kind of crazy public gesture to SAVE FACE and to appear contrite. So when somebody genuinely comes out to do this, it's still BAD? Somebody like Governor Northam? Screw that guy. He got busted. Neeson? Is there EVER a time a prominent person can come out, admit some shit at total harm to themselves, be legit remorseful, and the internet doesn't just cancel them?

2. On the other hand, he was remorseful *only* about the violence. No idea how he feels about Black people now. If he's harboring some kind of deep resentment towards black men, he kept it low key forever. No rumors about inappropriate behavior, no idiot tweets or social media foolery. If he's racist, at least he's a quiet one...which is a helluva an assumption because I've never talked to the man. If he goes off spouting dumb crap about minorities now? Cancel him. Otherwise, unless someone is going to approach him and have the audacity to psychoanalyze the man on his current convictions, despite model behavior (as these celebs go), then I don't see anything here.

Please let me know if i said anything bannable or offensive and i'll delete the whole reply. I just re-read this thing 3x just to make sure. I'm not advocating for Liam Neeson because I couldn't care less about the man. I'm not excusing racism. I'm a black man that he might've killed had he met me in his rage. I'm just trying to understand these reactions.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that it affects the story in anyway, but just to raise awareness because I've seen it mentioned in this thread a few times, in the UK Black History Month is October.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

Sadly they've always been in public discourse and now need to be removed.

Kinda a slippery slope when you look at it from both sides, obviously these comments have racist undertones but I can understand the anger he must have felt.

"I'm gonna murder the first black bastard who gives me an excuse"

Hmm...I feel like there may be some racist undertones here but you must understand he was very angry about black people

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Undertones may ass. It was all pure racism there's nothing else to it. If he spent his time trying to find that actual dude then you could maybe try to argue something else but all this dude was doing was looking for some innocent person to lynch nothing more nothing less.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
It's more the level of anger I take issue with. People in this thread are acting more angry and upset than they were in threads about monsters like Weinstein.

By all means call him out. I'm just not a fan of spewing vitriol at a man trying to do better. It's just depressing. I want people to get better. I sincerely do. I also think this is just a problem that's inherent with forums. There's no nuance. It's either "Fuck Liam" or "He has nothing to apologize for". I think he can do better and so can a lot of us.
I feel that the disconnect here is that you're interpreting something that isn't there. Where is Liam trying to "get better" in regards to the racism he displayed? He was telling an annectodote about his regretful feelings about revenge and then completely buried the lede about the deeper problem yet you and others are projecting your desire for him to have learned something and grown in a situation where that's not at all apparent. Maybe if you took a moment to think about that you'd understand why some posters are getting so angry about this, it's not just directed at Liam but it's also the frustration of typical handwaving that always crops up in these threads, it's tiring.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
I respect that Neeson doesn't excuse his behavior. Just stating his emotions. He has to live with the consequences though.

Oct 28, 2017
Thread title did not prepare me for that story. It's pretty fucked up and I'm not sure why people are giving him a pass when he hasn't said or shown anything to imply he has gotten help and changed unless there is an update I'm not aware of. Being ashamed of his reaction and relating it as a cautionary tale does not mean he has altered his way of thinking. All it tells me he doesn't go around looking to murder black people anymore to punish the race.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
There are a couple of issues here and I'm not even sure I quite understand ERA's reaction.

1. Liam came out and revealed some shit that he did a long time ago, and reflected on how horrible he felt about it and how bad it was. He wasn't EXPOSED. It wasn't UNCOVERED or a SLIP UP. He revealed it as a teachable moment? A moment of reflection? Whatever, this is the VERY definition of somebody growing and sharing at their own expense. It was a sacrifice and revealing, because it would've NEVER come up had he not brought it up during this time. Conversely, celebrity Tweets from years ago are EXPOSED all the time, and the celebrity has to back track and make some kind of crazy public gesture to SAVE FACE and to appear contrite. So when somebody genuinely comes out to do this, it's still BAD? Somebody like Governor Northam? Screw that guy. He got busted. Neeson? Is there EVER a time a prominent person can come out, admit some shit at total harm to themselves, be legit remorseful, and the internet doesn't just cancel them?

2. On the other hand, he was remorseful *only* about the violence. No idea how he feels about Black people now. If he's harboring some kind of deep resentment towards black men, he kept it low key forever. No rumors about inappropriate behavior, no idiot tweets or social media foolery. If he's racist, at least he's a quiet one...which is a helluva an assumption because I've never talked to the man. If he goes off spouting dumb crap about minorities now? Cancel him. Otherwise, unless someone is going to approach him and have the audacity to psychoanalyze the man on his current convictions, despite model behavior (as these celebs go), then I don't see anything here.

Please let me know if i said anything bannable or offensive and i'll delete the whole reply. I just re-read this thing 3x just to make sure. I'm not advocating for Liam Neeson because I couldn't care less about the man. I'm not excusing racism. I'm a black man that he might've killed had he met me in his rage.

No one should approach him to know about what he thinks about racism. He had a perfect chance to do it himself when he told a story about his own racism to promote a movie. Sadly, he didn't took the chance and never talked about his racism, about how bad it was and how he learned to stop being racist, and how the society overall can be less racist. Nothing about racism was adressed, and he had a hell of a chance to do it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds like he's admitting past wrongs, not saying that what he did was right. He clearly knows that those thoughts and actions are abhorrent.

mechs

Banned
Oct 1, 2018
You know, I never joined the other place and dec idea to come here instead.

But there have been a few threads that got me thinking sideways about this place. Think I need to back out of this forum and back to TheColi.

Peace

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Liam, there're best friends or family to speak about these things if you are regretful. I don't know what he's trying to get talking to the press.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if this story was different. What if it was about a poor person stalking Beverly Hills trying to kill a rich person, or someone in a war torn country spending a week trying to kill a white person.

We would not be praising their personal growth for failing to follow through. The response to this story is dripping with white privilege and classism.

I mean...we had lots of people in another thread doubting Jussie Smollett was even attacked, because "something was off about the story."

Here, we have a white man that was looking to kill a black man, doesn't even talk about how fucked up that specific detail is, but we're supposed to just think he's grown as a person.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Wow. Admitting in an interview you walked around for a week trying to find someone to murder in a racist hate crime is definitely a new one for a celebrity. What in the fucking fuck.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Everyone who was once racist, or has had racist thoughts, is irredeemable.

Is this true?
No. But there's little to no indication that Neeson doesn't still have racist thoughts or do racist/bigoted things. All he admitted to during the interview is that he discovered revenge killing innocent people is wrong.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of bad people out there. I just don't want them to stay in hiding. I want them to become better people.
I don't care if a racist becomes a better person or if a racist never acts on their racism.

The net result is still that, in practicality, I have one less person to worry about.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having been through periods when I worried that my suicidal desires would result in me deciding to violently lash out at others and harm them in the process along with myself, I understand what he was trying to say about the danger of seeing violence as a means to an end and how it can lead you to do horrible things, though I never went beyond the ideation phase. Whether or not he should be a role model, evidently he shouldn't be, I would hope that maybe this would help stop someone from committing such an act, by having someone who's gone through it before admitting that it was wrong. What I don't understand is how he hand waves away, or rather doesn't deal with at all, the clearly racist element of his vengeful rage during that period and doesn't appropriately discipline himself for his past actions. You can't just put something like that out there, not discuss the elephant in the room, and expect to be taken seriously.

Shame to find out he was a racist piece of shit as a younger man and seems to this day unable to deal with the full context of his past actions.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

To be perfectly honest, a lot of my posts come from a place where I'm scared that seeing stuff like this deters some people from opening up. I'm scared that by getting mad at someone for opening up it sends the wrong message.

I'm also understanding that it's not the opening up that most people have a problem with.
There are many people who are mad not because he opened up but because he nonchalantly confessed this while promoting his fucking movie and didn't even acknowledge his violent racism.

From the information we have, he's made no real attempt to address it. For some people, there is no coming back from or forgiveness for prowling the streets looking for black people to murder. And that is totally understandable.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wish people would stop bringing up stuff like:
"Have you never experienced the darkness of ones soul when you are so full of rage and anger"
Like they are some kind of brooding vigilante anti-hero or something.

Wanting to kill someone is not normal, even when angry

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Liam: "I really wanted to go around and just hoping a nigger would try something so I could shank him. But that was in the past, I'm better now"

ResetEra: "Such growth, so admirable. Good for him for not wanting to kill niggers anymore"
Exactly.

Liam deserves no props for coming to the fucking obvious moral conclusion that wanting to kill a random black person is wrong.

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
There are many people who are mad not because he opened up but because he nonchalantly confessed this while promoting his fucking movie and didn't even acknowledge his violent racism.

From the information we have, he's made no real attempt to address his hateful racism. For some people, there is no coming back from or forgiveness for prowling the streets looking for black people to murder. And that is totally understandable.

I agree with everything you said 100%

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Everyone who was once racist, or has had racist thoughts, is irredeemable.

Is this true?

If you can't speak out against this kind of thing, a crime that's so unjust,
Your eyes are filled with dead men's dirt, your mind is filled with dust.
Your arms and legs they must be in shackles and chains, and your blood it must refuse to flow,
For you let this human race fall down so God-awful low!

Congrats to Liam Neeson on maybe, possibly realizing that he has at last managed to clear the absolute lowest, most basic level of socially acceptable behavior

flexicon

Nov 5, 2018
The motive behind the murder is not dissolved with the nonaction of murder (in this case, the belief that all black men are rapists and should be approached accordingly), like holy fuck how do people not get this

Status
Not open for further replies.