• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
UK
I just kinda don't care for episodic games until they're all done. But this one has been marketed at every game show it was at with just hard spoilers with influencers reacting to spoiler scenes. Kinda sold me on never getting this.

I think people are just done with episodic games. Telltale poisoned the well so hard they killed themselves.

BigBlue

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Based on the reveal thread and what I've seen people comment regarding LiS2..

People would much rather ship two white middle class lesbians than play a game about struggling minority brothers....

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Its episodic. Telltales model of episodic games has no future

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I personally have been waiting for the whole game to be out, to finally experience it. I don't mind episodes, but I feel like those were too far apart from each other for me to have an optimal gaming experience, so I'd rather wait and do them all in one go.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
I'm usually a guy that waits around for episodic things to finish but the schedule for this season seems out of whack, and also......
Being woke about lesbian ships >>>> Being woke about cop brutality and minorities.

Its sad but its the truth. I saw in this forum that people didnt think it was an "important story".
Quoting for truth

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I don't think the episodic format is necessarily dead, especially for adventure games but if you're going to make one then you better have a pretty damn good premise with appealing characters and a strong cliffhanger for episode 1.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
-Episodic games with bad release schedules have taken a full on nosedive. Telltale died, Hitman did less than stellar and Dontnod even had to buy back Twin Mirror and it wouldn't surprise me if it re-emerges as a non episodic game. They can and probably will be successful again at some point, but that point isn't now. Unless you can guarantee a 1-2 month release schedule there is no point to do an episodic game in 2019
-Characters aren't as interesting on first glance and first appearance is all that matters. Girl with time powers just intrigues you more
-The subject matter right from the outset is quite depressing. Some people don't really want to take a trip through Trump's America right now in a game with it being on the news 24/7
-Road stories with constant character switches often feel less appealing than a small town setting with recurring characters
-Game is less quirky and memeable/legit fun
-Not much to discuss between episodes, no real mystery
-Price increase turning some people off
-It being on Gamepass doesn't help immediate sales and attention either given the Gamepass release is delayed
-Still the same old gameplay, which has gotten stale for some now in 2019. The genre on a whole is looking to not be in a great shape anymore. It needed something like Detroit with massive branching and Sony backing to move some solid copies, LiS 2 has neither of those things

Overall some market realities and the fact Dontnod struck lighting in a bottle with LiS 1, exactly like Telltale did with TWD, a feat the latter could never replicate again in like 7 releases either including sequels to TWD, means LiS 2 has a massive uphill battle and probably won't come out on top.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's mostly the higher price and the slower release schedule. The quality of the story doesn't matter that much when those two things are both significantly worse than the first game

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
haven't tried it myself. But i love the first game.

my friend who also is a big fan of the original....tried episode 1 of the new one, and didn't like it. So i pretty much wrote it off after that.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so over the episode release type games honestly. And I don't think I'm alone.

This is a game about story, and yet I can't remember half the shit that happened in the last episode by time the next one is out.

This would be like a TV show releasing 1 episode every 2 months and expecting you to be engaged. Just finish the fucking game and release it all at once.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I guess all the women who are fans of LiS 1 just want those waifus, huh.

Really, what's up with these posts?

Oct 25, 2017
I think the price point put a lot of people off. The individual episodes of LiS were priced perfectly, and released frequently enough, that it was easy for people to drop a few bucks every month or so for an episode. That and the demo was very compelling in how it sold its premise in a few minutes.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Max and Chloe carried the first game on their backs tbh.
Majority of side characters were also great and interesting. For example Kate, Victoria, Nathan, David, Frank, Mark... Then there was Rachel mystery...
Overall it was just a better game, in almost every aspect. Technically LiS2 is better, which is not strange at all. And that's about it really. LiS was just a better game.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I really wanted to play LIS2, but I never play episodic games until they are fully released, and this release schedule has been...very bad.
Pretty much this. When it's all out and less than £20 I might bite.

Also while I really liked the first series and loved Before the Storm the lack of female protagonists does lessen my interest a little.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I can only speak for myself - when I learned that the episodes equaled a full game price, which is perfectly fine, I decided to wait for the physical Collector's Edition. Too expensive to even think about double dipping.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, since I haven't played the second game (not even going to think about playing until the full game is out).

It seems like the biggest issue is that the character you control doesn't have any actual powers and they are all in his annoying kid brother you are essentially babysitting. Also road trip like stories are hard to pull off well.

Sep 14, 2018
Daniel is a really bad character. Wait, what am I talking about he's not a character, just a walking plot device pretending to be one.

Notice how anytime the plot needs to move forward Daniel does something incredibly stupid for no reason? Imagine if Chloe randomly did stupid things over and over again in a very incoherent way, the game would be pretty bad then...

It's really just not good enough of a story with not good enough characters, even without comparing to the first one, just on its own as a story focused game it doesn't work.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
It's not good. It's not the only reason of course, since a lot of bad games are popular. But the lack of charisma the game has limits the audience. And then people who actually play it get a bad game.

It won't be even a cult classic.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Last time I checked I had to pay to even play episode 1.

I didn't had to with the original LiS. Episode 1 of the original hooked me so much that I just needed to buy the rest as season pass.

Maybe the same would have happened with 2 but I am currently not really interested in that game anymore

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Life is Strange wasn't that popular until the season was done.
Actually it was. Especially after 2nd or 3rd episode. A lot of players were disappointed by the ending tho. But game was very popular after first episode was released. And it just became bigger and bigger as episodes were being released. There was so much hype between every episode, fan theories, art... etc.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember anyone truly caring about LiS until all of the episodes came out; I know I didn't. LiS2 isn't finished, so I'm not going to care until it is.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Actually it was. Especially after 2nd or 3rd episode. A lot of players were disappointed by the ending tho. But game was very popular after first episode was released. And it just became bigger and bigger as episodes were being released. There was so much hype between every episode, fan theories, art... etc.
We're talking about broader appeal. The masses didn't truly notice or care until all of the episodes dropped.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found Max to be a super compelling and relatable character. I also really love time-based powers in games. Max's time rewind was such a unique twist on the genre. All of those combined made me way more interested in Life is Strange 1 than 2.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I get the release rollout being an issue, but these kids' story is incredibly powerful, especially to minority players like myself so it kind of sucks to see so many people trashing it.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Episodic games are less popular & the release schedule was awful. A shame too since I'm liking the sequel a lot more based on the first episode alone.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Life is Strange wasn't that popular until the season was done.

nah, this is not true. It started gaining a lot of popularity as soon as ep 1 came out. Ep 2 was another jump, then with Ep 3's ending shit just got wild.

LiS 2 is nowhere near.

It's just not as good, but probably most importantly I think people just aren't as interested in the story and characters of Lis 2 compared to 1. And I can kinda understand, i find it much harder to relate to it as well whereas I was engrossed by LiS 1 and BTS.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
In my case I haven't bought LiS2 because I haven't finished the first one yet and I assume things in LiS2 would be spoilers. One day I'll finish it, and then I'll get the sequel.
I'm also in general waiting for all the episodes to be out, but in the meantime I've kinda lost track of that and couldn't have told you before this thread if it was all out or not.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for the whole thing to be out before playing it, as I do with every episodic game.

Where the hell is Kentucky Route Zero Episode 5?

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
I get the release rollout being an issue, but these kids' story is incredibly powerful, especially to minority players like myself so it kind of sucks to see so many people trashing it.
Think many were expecting it to be a sequel of sorts to LiS.

Maybe naming it LiS2 wasn't a great idea. Unless its somewhat connected to the first one (Not sure if it is? I haven't played 2 yet but I remember its not in Arcardia Bay).

Edit: Just checked LiS2 release date plan and damn, that is a LONG time before all episodes are out. 15 months vs 8 months for LiS.

Deleted member 5322

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the reason I loved the first game was less the time-travel sci-fi wrapping stuff (which is to say the fifth episode was a bit hit or miss for me), moreso the slice-of-life high school drama stuff between Max, Chloe and their myriad friends and the family drama. I liked that it had a big mystery with Rachel but was still grounded in the daily going-ons of Arcadia Bay.

Life is Strange 2 for me started really promisingly. I was fairly onboard with Sean and wanted to learn about his family, wanted to go to that party and watch him awkwardly flirt with the girl he liked, wanted to go to his school and meet friends. And the game seems to want you to be engaged in those things too, seeing as it gives you this bag to rummage through, a fairly extensive cabal of textlogs to read through, it lets you explore Daniel's house, there's the conversation with Sean's friend in the very beginning about how he should go about trying to get with the girl he likes, and they even continue that conversation too through fake Skype.

But then the game just out of nowhere goes from 0 to 100 and completely shifts the direction of its story. Your father's dead and Sean and Daniel are nomads on the road and it tries to be a really serious commentary on race relations in America. And for me, it's not that that stuff isn't worth exploring nor does it not work. It's that the game seemed to want me to care about this one thing, and violently yanked it away from me right when I'd more or less gotten hooked. I was so flustered that I almost didn't even finish the first episode (I'm pretty sure I put it away for a week after walking through some boring woods or whatever). I haven't played anything else they released from it and judging by the somewhat tepid reception the rest of the season has received, I'm not convinced I really need to play it.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Think many were expecting it to be a sequel of sorts to LiS.

Maybe naming it LiS2 wasn't a great idea. Unless its somewhat connected to the first one (Not sure if it is? I haven't played 2 yet but I remember its not in Arcardia Bay).

Edit: Just checked LiS 2 release date plan and damn, that is a LONG time before all episodes are out.
It's an anthology series. People need to get over its lack of direct continuity with the first game.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
two of my friends who say LiS is their favorite game of all time have no plans to play LiS2 explicitly because "Max and Chloe aren't in it, so who gives a shit"

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I liked LiS because of the mystery but also because of the powers.

Is there powers in this game?

I liked Max and couldn't stand Chloe but the rest of the supporting cast was great.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Episodic games like this are kinda on the out. Spirratic release schedule. People wanting for the whole thing to be out

Being woke about lesbian ships >>>> Being woke about cop brutality and minorities.

Its sad but its the truth. I saw in this forum that people didnt think it was an "important story".

And this

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Dontnod's games always have a catch aside from the game mechanics. In the first LiS they played with the angle of Lesbianism and in the second they're playing with the angle of Hispanic minorities... in the USA because for some reason people don't want to make games with Hispanic people in their own countries which I would find much more appealing, I need an adventure game suited in Peru (and this is especially funny because Dontnod is an European studio, why does everything have to revolve around the USA?).

And again, this is cool but if you're going to do that couldn't you have created more interesting looking Hispanic characters with a better premise?

Oct 25, 2017
It's not easily digestible twee fluff like the first game

Also less light high school romance to fetishize and write fanfics about

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
These comments and the physical-but-not-really release have sent my hype to the bottom of the ocean :(

Also, I will always distrust fandoms talking up a sequel by shitting on the previous game.

Malms

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't like the first one that much, and playing it as it came out really did not help. Waited til BTS was on sale and all episodes were already out and liked it significantly more, will likely be doing the same for 2