• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't played LiS 2 yet, but I would be remiss if I did not admit that it doesn't appear to be doing as well as its predecessor at the same point in its life. The original game was a constant topic of discussion throughout 2015 and 2016, whereas LiS 2 is barely getting as much attention or coverage.

I wonder if it's the extended gap between episode releases? I do know that the game is quite different this time around, both thematically and narratively.

Last edited:

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say a combination of episodic gaming kind of taking a nosedive and the huge gaps in release are the main culprits.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
LiS had better characters, better, much more interesting story, a lot of twists and time rewind, better setting and music... It's one of my favorite games ever.

Life is Strange 2 is good, but it doesn't come close to the first game. Dontnod will never be able to repeat what they did with LiS again imo.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't very impressed with the end of the first series. I'm also one of those who waited for everything rather than trying it episodically. Saying that, I guess I don't even know if the new one is complete yet.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I bought episode 1 but haven't played any since then. For me, I'd attribute it solely to the huge gaps in episode releases. It's just been hard to want to play when I know each episode would have me waiting forever until the next.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Life is Strange 1 was better because:

- Max was more interesting along with settings
- Opening episode was a lot more powerful introducing a mystery with plot and powers
- Better side characters.
- Better release schedule

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
I think it's a mixture of the characters (as the posters above me said), the abysmal release schedule and it just...not being as good. It's one of my major disappointments of year.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I found the first two episodes boring as fuck and the game is twice as expensive, which it doesn't really justify

Jackpot2027

Aug 1, 2018
I think Max and Chloe were better characters and LiS 1 came just when the narrative and episodic type of game were at the Peak of their popularity.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I just don't care about the characters from what I've seen. I found Max much more relate-able and the time travel power is a much more fun game mechanic.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
I would say the extended release gap and the price is partially why it's not gaining as much traction as the first game.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
The terrible schedule. In fact, you have to wait 12 months to get the full game. I already forgot what happened in episode 2.

And I really did not like how the story progressed. Last episode was in terms of writing a mess.

First game was a 10/10 for me.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I really wanted to play LIS2, but I never play episodic games until they are fully released, and this release schedule has been...very bad.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
honestly they would be hard pressed to follow up on max and chloe and rachel

should have done some alternate universe thing if they didnt want to use the originals if you ask me, im far from unbiased though

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Life is Strange 1 was better because:

- Max was more interesting along with settings
- Opening episode was a lot more powerful introducing a mystery with plot and powers
- Better side characters.
- Better release schedule
Yeah this sums it up pretty good.
LiS2 is still good but far away from LiS1.
I hope EP5 will be good and maybe more people give it a shot once it's complete

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
People are attached to Max & Chloe, season 2 is not about them. It made me a lot less interested in it too. I'm still gonna play it when the last episode is out but I'm already a lot less invested because of it.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played LiS 1 because as a whole it was darling for many people who would sell the shit out of it.

LiS 2 hasn't had people trying to sell me on it and I wasn't particularly interested in it.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Imo. waiting for the episodes is not the main issue. If the game was good, waiting for next episode wouldn't be such a big issue.

For the first game there was usually 2 months gap between the episodes but we were constantly talking about the game, even waiting for the next episode was SO much more interesting.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
I can only speak to my own opinions but,

That "lonely trek in the woods" thing they did in the first episode really turned me off, as it is pretty much the exact opposite of what I want out of the next Life is Strange. In fact, the game does a really good job of setting up a very interesting situation and completely rips it away from you. And I realize that is completely 100% of the point of what they were going for, but I didn't care for the end result. I don't want another fucking Walking Dead.

I want a town filled with colorful characters to interact with, just like in the first season. The first episode of season 2 was the exact opposite of that, and it really turned me off. I really have no idea what the other episodes are like, though, as I haven't even touched them.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
The hook of the mystery in LiS really engaged people to continue. LiS2 doesn't really have a mystery and from episode to episode it isn't really clear in where it wants the story to go.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in Episode 3 so Far and I love the story and the characters, but the awful release schedule is what put me off from playing it for so long (I bought EP1 on Release). Now that we are only 1 episode off from being done it's not as huge of a wait for me, but Even the month long wait between episodes in Before the Storm was bad for me

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
40 fucking dollars, episodic BS, even Hitman learned its lesson waiting for that 50% off. Also no Chloe or Max so no attachment.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very terrible release schedule, just doesn't seem as appealing as the first. I would have preferred female protagonists too. ALso lets not forget the bullshit price increase just to take advantage of the fans and popularity of the first game.

OP
OP
Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
DONTNOD really should have suck with the 8-week gaps from the first game. There's no reason why anyone should wait 16 months to get a full story.

Oct 28, 2017
The premise was more interesting in the first one, and I'm also waiting for the whole thing to come out before I play it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for S2 to be bundled on disc.

I think their studio peaked with LiS S1, and may find it hard to recapture that.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Don't want to play as brothers on the run, and one of the main characters being a child made it an immediate turn off for me.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
There was such a huge gap between the first and second episode that I decided that if I was going to wait that long, I'd just wait for the whole thing to be done. I kinda felt conned buying the whole thing with the first episode. They're taking way too long between episodes this time, even by the standards of not-ever-on-time episodic gaming.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's not remotely as good and has a terrible release schedule.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The wait between episodes is just too much. I'll only play it when complete.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Don't want to play as brothers on the run, and one of the main characters being a child made it an immediate turn off for me.
Also the fact that they are using young brother to have a unnatural "power" in the game. And the fact that they are using him at the end of every episode for that shock and wow effect...
He is really annoying.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Expanding from my first post: Is mostly because the first one was better marketed and I'm not really talking about the promotion but mostly because the cast and setting were transparently designed for a certain demographic. I mean, just look at Chloe: Blue hair, tattoos, jean jacket, rebel attitude and she digs chicks, it's blatantly obvious what segment they were going for.

And this is cool since they managed to make a lot of people happy and the game got popular but aside from that, there's little Dontnod has going for. Is not like the writing of the first one was even brilliant.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25448

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Had no interest in the characters in 2 as soon as I saw them. Played whatever the hell the prequel was (captain strange or something?) and I was like the hell is this? They had a good thing going with the first and Before the Storm. They should have ended it there.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
as long as by waifus we mean "compelling and interesting female characters" and not just "female characters for nerds to like"
Exactly I wasn't attracted to anyone in the games besides Rachel maybe? But I just genuinely enjoyed the characters. I absolutely hated Chloe's personality but I liked her as a character and I enjoyed playing as her. I'm aware that's not Dotnod but it still applies for me.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Being woke about lesbian ships >>>> Being woke about cop brutality and minorities.

Its sad but its the truth. I saw in this forum that people didnt think it was an "important story".