• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Just started this game, after owning it for years. So far, so good, just done with Ep 1 of LiS.
Hey, welcome to the community thread!

If you don't mind me asking, what were the major choices that you made? (I'm always curious to hear people's choices, especially from a newcomer)

Did you rat out Nathan to the principal?
Did you make fun of Victoria, or comfort her outside the dorms?
Did you intervene when Kate was being harassed?
Did you cover for Chloe in her room or stay hidden?

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
So many new people! Ahhhhh, exciting!!!!!

Welcome to the mosh pit, shaka brahs!

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
So many new people! Ahhhhh, exciting!!!!!

Welcome to the mosh pit, shaka brahs!

My favorite John Lennon quote, hehe!

Super happy to see more and more people getting into Life is Strange. Looking forward to all the impressions. And yes, very soon I canl finally start Before the Storm too. Really, really looking forward to it.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
And yes, very soon I canl finally start Before the Storm too. Really, really looking forward to it.
Yay! I had been meaning to ask if you had started it yet, or if you had plans to start it soon. Looking forward to reading your impressions on it for sure!

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Hey, welcome to the community thread!

If you don't mind me asking, what were the major choices that you made? (I'm always curious to hear people's choices, especially from a newcomer)

Did you rat out Nathan to the principal?
Did you make fun of Victoria, or comfort her outside the dorms?
Did you intervene when Kate was being harassed?
Did you cover for Chloe in her room or stay hidden?

Did you rat out Nathan to the principal? -yes
Did you make fun of Victoria, or comfort her outside the dorms? -comforted her
Did you intervene when Kate was being harassed? -yep, intervened
Did you cover for Chloe in her room or stay hidden? - I actually didn't know you could successfully hide, and I took the blame.

I'm playing this blind, with somehow having avoided years worth of spoilers. Should be pretty interesting.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Did you cover for Chloe in her room or stay hidden? - I actually didn't know you could successfully hide, and I took the blame.

I'm playing this blind, with somehow having avoided years worth of spoilers. Should be pretty interesting.
Thanks for sharing! I went in about a year after it had come out and also avoided spoilers on it. Hopefully you come back to share your thoughts on the rest of the episodes too, I'd love to hear them!

And as for the thing you weren't aware of:
I actually didn't know it was possible to unsuccessfully hide until just a few months back when I was replaying it, so I know what that's like. In order to hide you have to use your time powers to get into the closet by preventing the mess that happens when you first try to open it.

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??

I think those choices are the ones the majority of us picked.

On my first playthrough

I also failed to hide in the closet, and I ended up taking the blame. Felt right to do, considering Max bailed on Chloe so many times before.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I think those choices are the ones the majority of us picked.
Not for me actually!

The only one I did the same was intervene with Kate.

Otherwise, I second-guessed myself after first choosing to tell the principal about Nathan. Since it didn't seem like he was concerned about it at all, I decided to rewind and see how it played out by not telling him and went with that instead. Then I totally made fun of Victoria, I did not like her one bit! Didn't even rewind to see what it was like if you comfort her, I felt perfectly fine giving her a dose of her own medicine. And then yeah, I didn't even know how to not hide in the closet until just recently, but I did come out of it to take the blame. I rewound afterwards and saw that awful scene that happens if you stay hidden, and then immediately rewound again and came out instead.

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Oh yeah, I totally

told Wells to fuck off. Girl trouble and everything.

Oops, I forgot!

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Also, just because I always hear people bring this up, I just wanted to ask this:

Am I the only one who didn't end up killing Max's plant on their first playthrough?

At the start of episode 2, you get a text from Max's mom that reminds you to water the plant, but she also specifically says not to over-water it either. So since I had already watered it in episode 1, I decided to not water it in episode 2, which meant that in episode 3 the plant was not dead!

I feel like people always talk about how they killed the plant though, and I'm just over here like "LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER, PEOPLE!"

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Also, just because I always hear people bring this up, I just wanted to ask this:

Am I the only one who didn't end up killing Max's plant on their first playthrough?

At the start of episode 2, you get a text from Max's mom that reminds you to water the plant, but she also specifically says not to over-water it either. So since I had already watered it in episode 1, I decided to not water it in episode 2, which meant that in episode 3 the plant was not dead!

I feel like people always talk about how they killed the plant though, and I'm just over here like "LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER, PEOPLE!"
I definitely killed it because I can't even do it in real life. How do you expect me to not repeat my habits in game, Dontnod?

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017

I took care of it.

I super killed Chloe's plant, though.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Ha! I did the same with the soda.

BtS Ep 1 Spoiler
Made me laugh when I saw that the options were only to kill it with neglect or kill it with soda.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy just finished and that was quite a wild ride. I feel emotionally drained right after. I'm gonna need to recover a bit before playing BtS.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy just finished and that was quite a wild ride. I feel emotionally drained right after. I'm gonna need to recover a bit before playing BtS.
Oh boy, have a hug, we all need one after finishing LiS.
r9darQ4.gif

And yes, same question as Pirate Bae, what did you choose?

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Hahaha, this reminds me a bit of this gif of Aoife Wilson from Eurogamer during their let's play of Before the Storm
when she was making the choice to kiss Rachel.
LFAAAiv.gif

Love this lol
Youngechosugar used to be super active in the community and the DONTNOD Fans Discord I'm in. We talked a lot but one day (must be a year already) he just disappeared. Hope he is ok :(
Oh no! I hope he's ok too, those gifs are all amazing!
Oh ending Bae for sure. How could I not?!
You made the right choice! ;)

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Yay! I had been meaning to ask if you had started it yet, or if you had plans to start it soon. Looking forward to reading your impressions on it for sure!

Thank you very much! Yeah, I had some other stuff going on and I didn't want to squeeze Before to Storm right into it, because I want to solely focus on it, especially after the ride that was the original Life is Strange. At least I'm already emotionally prepared! :D

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Thank you very much! Yeah, I had some other stuff going on and I didn't want to squeeze Before to Storm right into it, because I want to solely focus on it, especially after the ride that was the original Life is Strange. At least I'm already emotionally prepared! :D

You think you're prepared anyway. :p

BtS has some heavy choices and no rewind. Good luck and enjoy. :)

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
You think you're prepared anyway. :p

BtS has some heavy choices and no rewind. Good luck and enjoy. :)

Haha, I guess that's true. I mostly meant it in a way that after finally playing and finishing the original Life is Strange early January I wasn't emotionally ready to jump right into Before the Storm. But now that a few days have passed I think I'm ready (to get hit again with all the feels). The no rewind part actually scares me a bit, it was such a convenient feature in LiS. This will make some of the choices definitely a lot harder, I'm sure.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
The no rewind part actually scares me a bit, it was such a convenient feature in LiS. This will make some of the choices definitely a lot harder, I'm sure.
Yeah it's definitely a different feel, every choice you make with Chloe is permanent so it's kind of scary making big decisions sometimes. She also has her back-talk ability, which can lead to some alternative scenes depending on whether you succeed or fail at it, but most of those are actually opt-in so you usually only have to do them if you decide you want to go for it.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Always go for backtalks though. Even in situations where you think it doesn't make sense, it usually pays off!

Well from my experience anyway. Won't be replaying BtS until the physical is out.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Always go for backtalks though. Even in situations where you think it doesn't make sense, it usually pays off!

Well from my experience anyway. Won't be replaying BtS until the physical is out.
There were actually some moments where I thought they did a good job of making them optional, at least for me I felt like it just wasn't right to go for it in some spots. (Also I kind of sucked at them, I fucked at least one of them up in each episode haha).
The part at the beginning of episode 2 in the principal's office for example, I just went along with Rachel's "no, it was really me, I'm the bad one" story since, well, it really was her idea, it's not like she was lying haha. But then especially in the scene at the end of episode 2, where you can back-talk Rachel's dad. I really felt like it wasn't my place to speak up at that moment, and also wanted to go with what Rachel had said before about just staying calm and trying to make it through dinner so we could sneak out when it was all done.

And then the ones I messed up were with the principal in episode 1, I felt like that one had an inconsistent timer maybe? I don't know, I messed up one of the answers because I ran out of time to pick one, but it felt like it was giving me less time to make a choice than the others. Then in episode 2 I messed up the one with Skip when you're trying to get into the dorms, and in episode 3 I failed at the one with Eliot at Rachel's house.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
There were actually some moments where I thought they did a good job of making them optional, at least for me I felt like it just wasn't right to go for it in some spots. (Also I kind of sucked at them, I fucked at least one of them up in each episode haha).
The part at the beginning of episode 2 in the principal's office for example, I just went along with Rachel's "no, it was really me, I'm the bad one" story since, well, it really was her idea, it's not like she was lying haha. But then especially in the scene at the end of episode 2, where you can back-talk Rachel's dad. I really felt like it wasn't my place to speak up at that moment, and also wanted to go with what Rachel had said before about just staying calm and trying to make it through dinner so we could sneak out when it was all done.

And then the ones I messed up were with the principal in episode 1, I felt like that one had an inconsistent timer maybe? I don't know, I messed up one of the answers because I ran out of time to pick one, but it felt like it was giving me less time to make a choice than the others. Then in episode 2 I messed up the one with Skip when you're trying to get into the dorms, and in episode 3 I failed at the one with Eliot at Rachel's house.

On my replay I plan to be more pick and choosey about it for sure. We'll see where being more chill gets me haha.

I messed up the very first one and I don't know why but that put a mental block in me something fierce so I restarted Episode 1 after that and just like synced with Chloe's brain to nail those segments every time afterwards.

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much about not having a rewind option. It being a prequel there aren't really many choices with big consequences like in LiS.