• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Damn, ya'll are cold.

But not as cold as Rachel's body right now.

Oof, made myself feel bad with that one. :/

Thinking about that cut for budget self-doubt Talkback scene has got me heated right now though, it was a real shame it ended up on the cutting floor.

Could've squeezed it in at the junkyard, IMO. Fixing up the truck, Chloe catches herself in the rear view and boom, there's your lead in for a few minutes of introspective thought! They could even work in another smoke break!

My guess is that it will take place the year before the first game, and it will star Dana in a Veronica Mars type role as she investigates mysteries at Blackwell.

Nice... but who gets to play Beaver's role? <_< I nominate Nathan. >_>

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, I could totally see a Choe v Chloe scene in the
smash scene
... That scene f'd me up.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's a lot of places a chloe v chloe backtalk scene would've worked, but i feel like it could've worked best as an alternative to
the conversation she has with "William" on her way to the mill in episode 3

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I just finished Before the Storm just now and I don't know, it was a little disappointing after the transcendental experience that was Life is Strange.

I usually find the final episodes to be the weakest in all these episodic games but this one was really weak. That Elliot sub plot really annoyed me.

A big thing I criticize Telltale games for is having superficial choices which don't matter or you're presented with shitty choices to make you feel like shit no matter what you pick. Plus the case where you pick a choice and it doesnt say what you thought or plays out different than expected. In Life is Strange I could at least rewind time so I coukd weigh the short term impact and make a more informed decision. Here I constantly found myself reloading checkpoints because Chloe would say something which the choice didnt imply. For example: when I chose the decline the photo option, I was expecting a "this photo must mean a lot so you keep it", not a temper tantrum.

Life is Strange also had a lot of intrigue and mystery, both short term and the long term goal to keep me engaged every episode. Here a lot of scenes just felt forgettable personally, like you're passing the time doing mundane stuff waiting for the plot to move along.

I don't know. Life is Strange is one of the most emotional games I ever played and I would recommend it to everyone out there. On the other hand, I'd have a hard time recommending BtS even to fans of Life is Strange.

Edit: Just finished the Farewel episode and that was powerful stuff... Very emotional and heartbreaking. Definitely improves my perception of BtS overall.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018
I'm not looking closely at most of the posts here cause of spoilers but just wanted to say I enjoyed Episode 1. Just finished it. Some scattered thoguhts.

I feel like a lot of the time, this game makes me feel like a dweeb. Some events feel like there's no choice but to go through with it despite the fact that it all screams "bad idea". I guess I felt more represented by Max in that respect. That's not really a complaint but a comment about how it is a slightly weird experience to play this game. Chloe's character is much stronger than Max's and I feel like I'm slightly on rails when I make choices. I guess it also makes sense since it's a prequel and the characters are already established. But it does feel like a straightjacket sometimes.

And yeah, I think Chloe's "power" is way more boring than Max's. It's a step down, gameplay wise.. At the same time, the fast paced conversations can be exciting. I also legitimately had a "baby hitler" moment when it came to Nathan. Like, I was actually thinking, "is there a way to kill him RIGHT NOW to try to change the events of LIS"? Lol. I know that Nathan's problems are complex and he's obviously not the biggest fish in all of this but it ran through my mind, I admit. The prospect of seeing that other creeper at Blackwell also made me a little uncomfortable during my short time there.

The episode felt really short. I wish there was more to it.

I think the voice actors are great. I was worried playing this that it would be offputting to hear a new voice for Chloe and others. But nope, they nailed it.
Looking to play Episode 2 soon.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm not looking closely at most of the posts here cause of spoilers but just wanted to say I enjoyed Episode 1. Just finished it. Some scattered thoguhts.

I feel like a lot of the time, this game makes me feel like a dweeb. Some events feel like there's no choice but to go through with it despite the fact that it all screams "bad idea". I guess I felt more represented by Max in that respect. That's not really a complaint but a comment about how it is a slightly weird experience to play this game. Chloe's character is much stronger than Max's and I feel like I'm slightly on rails when I make choices. I guess it also makes sense since it's a prequel and the characters are already established. But it does feel like a straightjacket sometimes.

And yeah, I think Chloe's "power" is way more boring than Max's. It's a step down, gameplay wise.. At the same time, the fast paced conversations can be exciting. I also legitimately had a "baby hitler" moment when it came to Nathan. Like, I was actually thinking, "is there a way to kill him RIGHT NOW to try to change the events of LIS"? Lol. I know that Nathan's problems are complex and he's obviously not the biggest fish in all of this but it ran through my mind, I admit. The prospect of seeing that other creeper at Blackwell also made me a little uncomfortable during my short time there.

The episode felt really short. I wish there was more to it.

I think the voice actors are great. I was worried playing this that it would be offputting to hear a new voice for Chloe and others. But nope, they nailed it.
Looking to play Episode 2 soon.
Other creeper?

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
What the hell is up with Elliot? The guy suddenly just shows up at the DA's house and acts all stalker and obsessive. Felt very weird since I found no reason for me to expected him to act that way. I mean he clearly has a crush on Chloë, but the start acting like a total jealous crazy person all of a sudden...

Zeouter

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
What the hell is up with Elliot? The guy suddenly just shows up at the DA's house and acts all stalker and obsessive. Felt very weird since I found no reason for me to expected him to act that way. I mean he clearly has a crush on Chloë, but the start acting like a total jealous crazy person all of a sudden...
It plays off a common occurrence (& trope) of "nice guys" and is actually well foreshadowed if you go into his room.
I think it was a really good decision and implementation by DECK NINE.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Did you search his room in episode 2? There's some weird dark poetry and stuff as well as some other signs that he's unhealthily obsessed with Chloe. He's basically the darkest timeline version of Warren, where instead of just having a harmless crush, he's dangerously obsessed.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
If you go into his room in Ep2(?) you get some insight into how twisted he is. He has some really... disturbing poetry about Chloe, IIRC. Very possessive. Someone a while back also had a good breakdown of his stalker-ish tendencies, always being where Chloe will be, etc, that underscore his future behaviour. It's who he's been for a while.

I was always skeeved out by him, so it surprises me when folks are caught off guard by it. (Or worse, defend it! Which has happened...)

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
If you go into his room in Ep2(?) you get some insight into how twisted he is. He has some really... disturbing poetry about Chloe, IIRC. Very possessive. Someone a while back also had a good breakdown of his stalker-ish tendencies, always being where Chloe will be, etc, that underscore his future behaviour. It's who he's been for a while.

I was always skeeved out by him, so it surprises me when folks are caught off guard by it. (Or worse, defend it! Which has happened...)
Oh yeah, that's true, I actually did that and saw those things.
I actually always got kinda annoyed as well, but that was more because I just didn't feel anything for the guy, has no charisma whatsoever. But yeah, the things in his room did foreshadow some bad things. But still, was very surprised that the whole thing got so dark so fast.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Playing the DLC gave me some serious feels. Knowing these things makes me both want to replay the original and also makes knowing what will happen all the more painful.

There is a sequel coming right? Any details?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Playing the DLC gave me some serious feels. Knowing these things makes me both want to replay the original and also makes knowing what will happen all the more painful.

There is a sequel coming right? Any details?

It's a spiritual squel, it will feature new characters and a new story in a new location, developed by Dontnod and the original creative team. We don't know anything else about it, but it will likely be revealed at E3 if not sooner.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder how LiS2 will be. A clean slate means the devs can apply all the lessons they learned over the years, on the other hand it might be difficult to match up to the escapades of Max and Chloe in Arcadia Bay.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
I wonder how LiS2 will be. A clean slate means the devs can apply all the lessons they learned over the years, on the other hand it might be difficult to match up to the escapades of Max and Chloe in Arcadia Bay.

I really, really want to see the animation budget bumped up significantly. That'd be my number one most wanted feature. I hope the games have sold enough to justify something closer to a AAA budget.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really want to see the animation budget bumped up significantly. That'd be my number one most wanted feature. I hope the games have sold enough to justify something closer to a AAA budget.
Any improvement would be nice, but I was fine with how the animation was in Before the Storm. Honestly wouldn't mind if LiS2 looked like that.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LIS Episode 3 > LIS Episode 4 > BTS Farewell > LIS Episode 2 > LIS Episode 1 > BTS Episode 2 > BTS Episode 1 > LIS Episode 5 > BTS Episode 3

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I did have to look up what happened in what episode of LiS because they all blended together into one emotional blob.

LiS Ep 4 > BtS Ep 2 > BtS Farewell > LiS Ep 3 > BtS Ep 1 > LiS Ep 2 > LiS Ep 5 > LiS Ep 1 > BtS Ep 3

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I never really thought episode 5 was bad. Definitely didn't cross my mind while playing it anyway.
In fairness, I enjoyed all the episodes in one form or another, but if we're ranking, something's got to be at the bottom (or relatively close to it in my case). I imagine the annoying stealth section brings it down for a lot of people.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
It's not so much the main content of Episode 5, for me, as it failing to take better account of all the choices made through episodes 1-4. The other episodes do such a good job of giving your choices a cumulative effect over the course of the story that when Episode 5 (mostly) ignores them it feels like a missed opportunity.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
This is too hard haha, I can't rank them. I will point you all towards my 100% objective ranking of all of the characters in the games though:

Chloe > Max > Kate > Dana > Rachel > Steph > Mikey > Joyce > Ms. Grant > Samuel > Bongo, Chloe's Deceased Cat > Alice, Kate's Bunny > Pompidou, Frank's Dog > Hawt Dawg Man > Skip > Brooke > Most Of The Other Blackwell Students > Frank > Lisa The Plant > Warren > Victoria > Principal Wells > David > Everyone Else I Didn't List So Far > All Of The Skeevy Club Duders from BtS > Nathan > Eliot > Damon > Jefferson

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
In fairness, I enjoyed all the episodes in one form or another, but if we're ranking, something's got to be at the bottom (or relatively close to it in my case). I imagine the annoying stealth section brings it down for a lot of people.
I can't remember actually failing the stealth section so that may be it. Seemed fine to me.

reedscam

Oct 27, 2017
LiS 4 > BtS 2 > BtS 1 > LiS 2 > BtS Farewell > LiS 3 > BtS 3 > LiS 5 > LiS 1 (keeping in mind that I hated no episode)

Reading the episode rankings above, a lot of people seem to hold LiS 3 in really high regard. What did people find so compelling in the episode? Nothing really hangs in my memory of that episode except for the cliffhanger.

Also I see BtS 3 at the bottom of a lot of lists and can't say I really disagree, but there were a few moments in that episode that just really make the series for me.
Chloe talking with William while overlooking the fire aftermath and pretty much the whole conversation in Rachel's room "Who cares if the stars are dead."

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the episode rankings above, a lot of people seem to hold LiS 3 in really high regard. What did people find so compelling in the episode? Nothing really hangs in my memory of that episode except for the cliffhanger.
I don't want to speak for everyone, but I would assume it's because of how Pricefield that episode is. It has the whole late night hijinks with Chloe, including the pool sequence, and then the next morning in Chloe's room, featuring the kiss sequence.

It is also the source of this gif:

Gddr127.gif

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 3 is the best because it's gay as fuck:

- Breaking into Blackwell sequence has a bunch of great Max and Chloe moments
- Gay as hell pool scene
- P R I C E F I E L D K I S S
- Time travel to save William
- Crazy cliffhanger ending with paralyzed Chloe

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 3 is the best because it's gay as fuck:

- Breaking into Blackwell sequence has a bunch of great Max and Chloe moments
- Gay as hell pool scene
- P R I C E F I E L D K I S S
- Time travel to save William
- Crazy cliffhanger ending with paralyzed Chloe

That was also my favorite episode. All the moments you mentioned are so special.

Especially the whole breaking into Blackwell sequence. I mean I didn't have any doubts of the relationship between Max and Chloe, but this was what made me go "there's nothing that will make the Max and Chloe ship sink. You can't stop me!"

I don't usually wear white but I'd definitely cop that "Hella" shirt.

LIS Episode 3 > LIS Episode 4 > BTS Farewell > LIS Episode 2 > LIS Episode 1 > BTS Episode 2 > BTS Episode 1 > LIS Episode 5 > BTS Episode 3

Mostly agree with this ranking; maybe (just maybe) switch around LiS Ep 1 and BTS Ep 2 but I honestly could go either way.

Fantomas - Oof at ranking Lisa the Plant > Warren LOL; I'd personally put Skip up a little higher though - loved that guy, he was legit awesome. XD

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I've said this before, but the moment the Insert Coin LiS range goes on sale, I could see myself picking up a few shirts. Specifically, the Raven, Fire Walk and Hawt Dawg ones.