• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
One thing that bothers me with the additional detail presented by BTS reframing the first game is that Rachel comes off way worse
having a relationship with Frank the same time she was with Chloe.
It feels like with the first game the original intent was that Chloe and Amber didn't have a physical relationship (although Chloe certainly had feelings for her). While the theme of Chloe not really looking at others' inner lives can still follow in light of that info, Rachel's relationship in light of how much she freaks out at her dad for possibly having an affair seems disjointed and out of character. I guess a lot can happen in two years.

yeah,well that's always the problem with a prequel.
My problem is about the bracelet:

i gave the bracelet to Sera,but Rachel didn't meet her mother
this doesn't connect well with Life is Strange season 1

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
One thing that bothers me with the additional detail presented by BTS reframing the first game is that Rachel comes off way worse
having a relationship with Frank the same time she was with Chloe.
It feels like with the first game the original intent was that Chloe and Amber didn't have a physical relationship (although Chloe certainly had feelings for her). While the theme of Chloe not really looking at others' inner lives can still follow in light of that info, Rachel's relationship in light of how much she freaks out at her dad for possibly having an affair seems disjointed and out of character. I guess a lot can happen in two years.

Yeah, that's kinda been bugging me as well. I keep wondering how Rachel and Frank ended up together. In the first game I didn't think it was that much of a problem since we didn't know Rachel at all, but after the events in BTS it just seems so weird. I kinda wanna know what happens to her in that time period.

Here, another screenshot while I'm at it.

Keep your head up
by Bram's Videogame Imaging, on Flickr

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing through BTS for the first time, currently in Ch. 2. Cherishing this, these games are special. So many feels!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's kinda been bugging me as well. I keep wondering how Rachel and Frank ended up together. In the first game I didn't think it was that much of a problem since we didn't know Rachel at all, but after the events in BTS it just seems so weird. I kinda wanna know what happens to her in that time period.

Keep your head up

The best explanations I can come up with:
*It was all an impressive con by Rachel to get the money to leave with Chloe.
*Chloe and Rachel's relationship started to sour, and she drifted to Frank. The most details we get about their relationship comes from Chloe herself, so it seems possible she could have intentionally or otherwise left out some details. It's clear from BTS and LiS that Chloe has some serious relationship issues, and it's possible that she ultimately idealized Rachel to such a degree that it either pushed her away or that it just blinded her to the fact she was losing her.

It definitely seems like something that would be interesting to explore, and it's a shame we'll likely never get much elaboration.

Red XIII

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NY
i'm trying to play the Bonus Episode on pc but it locks up like 3mins in anyone know why?

Keep your head up

Ugh, that's such a good shot. Definitely wallpaper worthy. You could actually make your own graffiti tags (in photoshop or w/e) and place them along the wall however you'd like. Loving these pics!

As for Rachel and Frank:

In no uncertain terms, the way I see it is that regardless of the choice the player makes at the end of BtS, Rachel eventually finds out about the lies and deception behind her parentage and eventually ends up spiraling out of control into a rebellious drug-fueled depressive state. The result of which turns her away from Chloe and towards Frank, whom I would assume who becomes her dealer at some point. There's a look on his face in BtS that suggests he's already pining for her already so maybe she needed just one more push to look his way. She's already shown to be quite temperamental and flighty in nature, so I imagine this scenario is entirely within her wheelhouse. Eventually Rachel drifts entirely away from Chloe emotionally, which can explain the urgency Chloe feels in wanting to find her in the original game, and it might also draw attention to why some of Arcadia Bay's residents are either apathetic or indifferent to her whereabouts at the start of LiS. Man, Chloe just can't catch a break can she?

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, that's such a good shot. Definitely wallpaper worthy. You could actually make your own graffiti tags (in photoshop or w/e) and place them along the wall however you'd like. Loving these pics!

As for Rachel and Frank:

In no uncertain terms, the way I see it is that regardless of the choice the player makes at the end of BtS, Rachel eventually finds out about the lies and deception behind her parentage and eventually ends up spiraling out of control into a rebellious drug-fueled depressive state. The result of which turns her away from Chloe and towards Frank, whom I would assume who becomes her dealer at some point. There's a look on his face in BtS that suggests he's already pining for her already so maybe she needed just one more push to look his way. She's already shown to be quite temperamental and flighty in nature, so I imagine this scenario is entirely within her wheelhouse. Eventually Rachel drifts entirely away from Chloe emotionally, which can explain the urgency Chloe feels in wanting to find her in the original game, and it might also draw attention to why some of Arcadia Bay's residents are either apathetic or indifferent to her whereabouts at the start of LiS. Man, Chloe just can't catch a break can she?

That's a pretty decent theory.

And Chloe is a nexus of tragic events and self-destructive behavior, so that she gets the short end of the stick shouldn't be that surprising. I guess fate decrees Chloe Must Suffer.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's a pretty decent theory.

And Chloe is a nexus of tragic events and self-destructive behavior, so that she gets the short end of the stick shouldn't be that surprising. I guess fate decrees Chloe Must Suffer.

I remember posting my impressions in a LTTP thread when I had just finished Episode 3 which I'll copy here

Episode 1
I had originally tried the first episode in 2016 but kinda wrote it off with the whole teen hipster vibe but boy was I wrong! The game kicks into overdrive within minutes, due to a moment of crisis Max discovers she has some sort of time abilities. Already I start warming up to the characters. Im not a teenage art student but most if not all of us can relate to the self-doubt and the bullying.

All the characters are broken in their own way. Chloe isn't a bad person, she's just self-destructing based on the traumatic life experiences she's had. Max gets caught up between whether you want to reach out to Chloe with much needed support orfocus on keeping your own reputation clean.

Episode 2
If the first episode was just setting up the premise and characters, episode 2 is when shit starts going down. Once again it explores themes that are all too real: bullying, depression, negative impacts of social media and all this culminating in a suicide attempt at the end of the episode. Based on my choices I was able to talk Kate down but based on the choices page at the end its not always possible to save her.

Episode 3
In the aftermath of the second chapter, Max and Chloe meet up for a night of shenanigans including breaking and entering and theft (optional). Spent the night at Chloe's and got served up breakfast. There's a really heartfelt scene here where Chloe's mom talks about how Chloe struggled and coped with the shit life threw at her. Maybe its my current headspace or the life experiences I went through but I could understand. It tugged at my heartstrings, I felt sad. Then Chloe busts in and goes "are you two bonding over how fucked up I am?". To go from crying in one scene to letting out a laugh in the next is a testament to how well written it is and how Ive come to care for these characters.

Then there's the episode finale where Max seemingly goes back in time to prevent a huge accident by saving Chloe's dad. At first I kept thinking the events would carry out no matter what as an allegory to not really being able to control or truly change time. Then I figured the puzzle out, snapped back to the present and immediately recognized that everything had gone horribly wrong. Max buses to Chloe's house, knocks, and the final shot as the door opens and the full impact of Max's time travel changes come into view. I was honestly heartbroken. I dont know how episode 4 or 5 will go but that final shot of Chloe in episode 3 brought tears to my eyes.

1481279177518477096.jpg

Conclusion
What I love about Life is Strange is that its so well written and acted.The emotional beats work, I care about these characters who initially I might not have. Theres a lot of creative scenarios with how Max uses her abilities to get through scenarios such as breaking into an office, sneaking past someone or even getting infornation out of someone.

The biggest thing I have to give the developers props for is not shoving in "choices" where either action negatively impacts someone and the game tries its best to guilt trip you. It worked initially but it just feels emotionally exploitative at this point. Life is Strange kinda gives you a little preview of your choice so you can rewind and choose something differently, especially when you pick a choice but it doesn't play out how you thought the character might react. Even with an outlandlish premise, these characters are believable, their struggles and their responses to what goes on around them is believable. We play good gamesall the time but rarely do we play games that canshake us to our core and for me, Life is Strange isone of those games.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember posting my impressions in a LTTP thread when I had just finished Episode 3 which I'll copy here
Yeah, the broken element is something that BTS helped drive home even better than LiS.

I think what I really liked about the Farewell ep is that
It made it clear Chloe was always a hellraiser and that even then Max had a growing ambivalence about what her relationship with Chloe meant—was she appreciative of Chloe being the mischievous one, or was she friends with her despite it? You can read either interpretation as informing how Max relates to her in LiS, and while you can debate the "true" ending I think it adds some irony that by the end Chloe is the one who is deciding to be responsible and think of the bigger picture, and Max can either agree or basically act out like Chloe and choose a selfish path.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, the broken element is something that BTS helped drive home even better than LiS.

I think what I really liked about the Farewell ep is that
It made it clear Chloe was always a hellraiser and that even then Max had a growing ambivalence about what her relationship with Chloe meant—was she appreciative of Chloe being the mischievous one, or was she friends with her despite it? You can read either interpretation as informing how Max relates to her in LiS, and while you can debate the "true" ending I think it adds some irony that by the end Chloe is the one who is deciding to be responsible and think of the bigger picture, and Max can either agree or basically act out like Chloe and choose a selfish path.

Punished Chloe
A Fallen Pirate

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Chloe once said: "It's like I'm being punished by the universe."

That's one reason why I think that the punishment won't end with the Bae ending. The universe is after her as long as she lives.

Oct 25, 2017
Chloe once said: "It's like I'm being punished by the universe."

That's one reason why I think that the punishment won't end with the Bae ending. The universe is after her as long as she lives.

Yep.
Max's interpretation of the storm that it's a result of her powers is a sound one, and you can assume if she doesn't use them again they'd be fine, but you can also read it as just continuing overreaction of the universe to something being stopped, akin to Doctor Who's 'fixed points in time you can't really change' spiel. Interestingly I think you can read the supernatural stuff in BTS (the link between Rachel and the fire) as suggesting the 'fated to die' theory is the true one.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yep.
Max's interpretation of the storm that it's a result of her powers is a sound one, and you can assume if she doesn't use them again they'd be fine, but you can also read it as just continuing overreaction of the universe to something being stopped, akin to Doctor Who's 'fixed points in time you can't really change' spiel. Interestingly I think you can read the supernatural stuff in BTS (the link between Rachel and the fire) as suggesting the 'fated to die' theory is the true one.
I'm still working on my final theory, but
why can't it be both things? Chloe fated to die and Max's powers causing it. Max creates different timelines/universes/realities by changing too much (saving William in another reality). Two realities colliding with each other (remember the two moons in ep4?). That second moon disappears near the end of ep4, right before Chloe gets shot by Jefferson.

I need to finish ep5, so I can make one final conclusion. As it currently stands, my brain is throwing out lots of interpretations :D

I'm leaning more towards Chloe just being fated to die, and Max obviously kickstarting "hell" (snow, stranded whales, two moons) by saving her.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
if you have a pc ,and love the exploration in Life is Strange,you should check this:

"Marie's Room is a short-story exploration game about an unconventional friendship between two classmates, told through memories. You play as Kelsey, remembering Marie's room as it was 20 years ago. What happened to Marie and Kelsey all those years ago? Find out in this soon to be released free game."

it's out friday,and it's free.
Some litte Life is Strange inspiration in it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/648390/Maries_Room/

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Doing a replay of Life is Strange after finishing LiS and BtS. Im taking in new details which I had missed previously (antidepressents in Chloe's bathroom) and stuff like that plus the dialogue is so melancholic knowing what already happened and what will happen.

Edit: Holy shit Chloe's reaction if you dont take the blame for the pot in ep1.

Last edited:

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Mine should be under way! Est. Delivery between today and the 16th. I want it now!
Mine were estimated to show up tomorrow, but then I got an email saying they were delivered this morning so I went and checked and yep they were in my mailbox haha. So hopefully you get yours ASAP!

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I bought a "Fujifilm Instax Wide 300" today...

This is gonna be sooo much fun :)

I'm going to channel my inner Max and try to take awesome shots.

Does anyone here have a Polaroid camera or something similar (like Fujifilm Mini, Wide, Square)?

Rubmifer

Oct 28, 2017
I bought a "Fujifilm Instax Wide 300" today...

This is gonna be sooo much fun :)

I'm going to channel my inner Max and try to take awesome shots.

Does anyone here have a Polaroid camera or something similar (like Fujifilm Mini, Wide, Square)?

I sell them at the place where I work, and just keep in mind that film can be quite expensive. The Instax Mini 20 pack boxes cost like 19€ here. It's the one thing keeping me from buying one.

Anyway, some more pics. It's not even a real PT anymore, it's more about taking the pictures. Gonna have to do a real dedicated PT after this.

Amberprice <3

Sad Chloe, scene always breaks my heart :(

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I sell them at the place where I work, and just keep in mind that film can be quite expensive. The Instax Mini 20 pack boxes cost like 19€ here. It's the one thing keeping me from buying one.

Anyway, some more pics. It's not even a real PT anymore, it's more about taking the pictures. Gonna have to do a real dedicated PT after this.

Amberprice <3

Sad Chloe, scene always breaks my heart :(

Man, that last one still breaks my heart. Great shots, I can't wait for the Amberprice ones in Ep 2 :D

Squall ASF

Oct 29, 2017
This shirt...this shirt just completely takes advantage of my interests and bias. I don't really buy gaming shirts but this one might make me cave.

977863_1.jpg

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Completed my second playthrough...

I've got so many notes laying around.

Max jumps through so many timelines, and uses polaroids many times to travel through time, especially in ep5, it's hard to keep track of all the changes. The sms are different in some of these realities.

When she's in the past, I call those spots "The Place Between Realities".

Oct 25, 2017
Completed my second playthrough...

I've got so many notes laying around.

Max jumps through so many timelines, and uses polaroids many times to travel through time, especially in ep5, it's hard to keep track of all the changes. The sms are different in some of these realities.

When she's in the past, I call those spots "The Place Between Realities".

Wow I don't think I ever rechecked the cell hone, nice catch.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some of the time travel stuff was tough for me to wrap my head around the first time, but I remember it making a lot more sense on later playthroughs.
I remember paying a lot of attention to the different realities in episode 5 too. Any time the distant areas where you can't travel have a hazy glow to the them, then you are between realities like at the end of episode 3 when you save William. Another thing I noticed is that every time Max goes back to the future from one of those between realities, she comes back at the same time that she left, but she'll lose that time in the normal reality if she goes back to it again. So like in episode 4, that's why she missed out on the evening and night that she and Chloe spent in the normal reality looking up information about the Prescotts and compiling all of their evidence, because she spent that night in the alternate reality hanging out with injured Chloe and watching Blade Runner and stuff.