• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
There will be an another Life is Strange panel in Seattle !

"Join Michel Koch, Co-Creative Director of Life is Strange 2, and the Voice Over cast of the game for an exclusive in-depth discussion where you will discover the stories behind the performances, and behind-the-scenes secrets of the research involved in creating the relatable characters, grounded settings and extraordinary events that define Life is Strange. The panel will be moderated by Andrea Rene, Co-Founder of What's Good Games. "

OP
OP
Pirate Bae

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
There will be an another Life is Strange panel in Seattle !

"Join Michel Koch, Co-Creative Director of Life is Strange 2, and the Voice Over cast of the game for an exclusive in-depth discussion where you will discover the stories behind the performances, and behind-the-scenes secrets of the research involved in creating the relatable characters, grounded settings and extraordinary events that define Life is Strange. The panel will be moderated by Andrea Rene, Co-Founder of What's Good Games. "

Damn! Wish I could go to this one, alas :(

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
Issue 8 of the comic came out this morning. It was a pretty good conclusion to the second arc. I still have some problems with it, namely the lack of any other characters besides the core three, but I think it's worth reading if you have been on the fence. Hopefully the next arc, which starts in October, will rectify that problem.

Anywayyy, I'm super excited for episode 4 tomorrow. Really interested to see how it plays out and where it takes Sean.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Issue 8 of the comic came out this morning. It was a pretty good conclusion to the second arc. I still have some problems with it, namely the lack of any other characters besides the core three, but I think it's worth reading if you have been on the fence. Hopefully the next arc, which starts in October, will rectify that problem.
Nice. I'll probably still wait for the paperback volume for these ones, it looks like that will come out in October too. I liked reading the first ones like that.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
Oh,StrangeRebelGaming is back ! (new video on her youtube channel)
i can't wait for her LiS 2 episode 3 playthrough ah ah.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I... don't think that was a good episode. Some things played out kinda illogically, unless I'm missing something.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the episode! What was illogical for you?

I can't get around Karen not just calling the cops as soon a Jake told her where Dan was. Also the directorial choices that kinda made Daniel and Sean's Passion of the Christ level pathos kind of insufferable for me.

It started to remind me of making all the really crappy self harming choices in Heavy Rain while the protag goes through the hammed up quest to look for his stupid son. lol

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I can't get around Karen not just calling the cops as soon a Jake told her where Dan was. Also the directorial choices that kinda made Daniel and Sean's Passion of the Christ level pathos kind of insufferable for me.

It started to remind me of making all the really crappy self harming choices in Heavy Rain while the protag goes through the hammed up quest to look for his stupid son. lol
I suppose at first she could have, but when Sean escaped, I think that could've meant they would've just taken Daniel to Childcare services and far away from family.

And while I did kinda like Heavy Rain back when I played it, I don't think it's fair for LiS to compare it to that game hahaha.

Talking about Heavy Rain, had no idea that Quantic Dream helped with the mo-cap.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose at first she could have, but when Sean escaped, I think that could've meant they would've just taken Daniel to Childcare services and far away from family.

And while I did kinda like Heavy Rain back when I played it, I don't think it's fair for LiS to compare it to that game hahaha.

Talking about Heavy Rain, had no idea that Quantic Dream helped with the mo-cap.

She would have had to receive and open the letter at a very specific window when the authorities became aware and announced Sean had escaped custody during the night of the escape. Before that, Sean was in a coma and there was lots of time where calling the cops was seemingly the only correct move.

Heavy Rain isn't a one to one comparison, but it was getting into that territory and I couldn't help feeling the way I do about it. Which is a shame for me, that suddenly I can't take LiS2 seriously. I want to like every episode of this series, but now I'm picturing a montage of outrageous and bizarre scenarios, and moments of bad decisions from episode 4 to the tune of Yakety Sax.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
That TLOU thread made me think.

Am I the villain for picking Bae over Bay and therefore killing a bunch of people?

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France

Am I the villain for picking Bae over Bay and therefore killing a bunch of people?

No, you're not.
Bae is the only option I would chose, each time.
Bay option is like all the good you've ever done throughout the game, is just totally and completely erased, and you're the only one left knowing what happened, and that is just so sad. All the character development of everybody is just... gone. Meaningless. Bae is the only ending that makes sense of the journey, no matter how sad it is for everybody but Chloe & Max.

Last edited:

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Would anyone be interested in joining me for a replay of LiS during the week that the game takes place? October 7th is the day that Episode 1 takes place, and just like in the game, it falls on a Monday this year. I'm thinking of just playing one episode per day throughout the week. I might make a thread about it too as we get closer to the date.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone be interested in joining me for a replay of LiS during the week that the game takes place? October 7th is the day that Episode 1 takes place, and just like in the game, it falls on a Monday this year. I'm thinking of just playing one episode per day throughout the week. I might make a thread about it too as we get closer to the date.
Tentative yes. Been meaning to replay it for a long time, now. But I don't wanna ruin it by playing while in a bad mood, so I'll see.

And I think a thread is a good idea. LiS is popular enough to generate some discussion, plus it gives more visibility for the replay.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018

I'd be down! Were you thinking of streaming it?

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

I'd say so.

No matter how painful the sacrifice, Chloe's death was a sacrifice that needed to be made. Max and Chloe both understood this, especially the latter, who pleaded with Max to let her go. In saving Chloe, you not only reject all the growth and development she experienced to reach that point, but you also deny her agency and go against her will in a selfish desire to preserve your own relationship with her. Arcadia Bay is a town of people who have relationships that are just as layered and complex as that of Max and Chloe, and you're ravaging that when you choose to save Chloe over Arcadia Bay. They deserve to live those lives and experience those relationships, and in my game, Max endured personal sacrifice and became the hero.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chloe's death was a sacrifice that needed to be made

Was it tho

hqdefault.jpg

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm not going to do this anymore, I just don't have a lot of free time anymore and I don't know if I could commit to this next week for sure with other things I'm committed to already.

Sorry if anyone was looking forward to this, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I think I'm not going to do this anymore, I just don't have a lot of free time anymore and I don't know if I could commit to this next week for sure with other things I'm committed to already.

Sorry if anyone was looking forward to this, I probably shouldn't have mentioned it.

It's all good. Life happens!!!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

Don't worry about it. Being responsible is a good thing.

I appreciate the push to replay LiS, even if it's contained in this thread. So thanks for that.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I won't be streaming but I'm totally doing this next week.

Nope. Bae ending is the only ending that has any coherent thematic sense, Max has to deal with the consequences of her actions AND accept there are things outside of her control. Bay ending only fits with part of her character arc and then everything for Chloe is discarded. At the end of the day it's a stupid, cruel, and contrived moral dilemma the developers thrust on the player because queer women can't be happy. (Also they ran out of budget and wrote themselves into a corner.) Bastards probably think they made one hell of a trolley problem scenario.
You, I like you.

Last edited:

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Bae ending is the only ending that has any coherent thematic sense, Max has to deal with the consequences of her actions AND accept there are things outside of her control.
You're literally saying the opposite, though, in your advocacy for the Bae ending.

Throughout the course of the game, Max repeatedly saves Chloe from near death experiences, if not actual deaths. Even at the end, during the scene where Chloe is telling Max that she has to sacrifice her to set things straight, Max (understandably) doesn't want to let her go, but Chloe has already solemnly accepted her fate.

If the game is about actions having consequences, and Max dealing with and accepting those consequences, then the ultimate demonstration of that can only be through Chloe's permanent death. Max has been fighting against the tide for the entire week in a futile effort to save Chloe. Accepting that there are factors outside of her control is exactly what she's doing when she chooses to save Arcadia Bay instead of stubbornly holding onto her best friend's life until the bitter end, even putting that life over that of an entire town.
Bay ending only fits with part of her character arc and then everything for Chloe is discarded.
Nothing for Chloe is discarded. Quite the contrary, actually.

Over the course of the game, Chloe is shown to be angry, resentful, and sad. Rightfully so, after all she's experienced in her life, but the way she lashes out and treats people like her mom, how selfishly she acts when, for instance, Kate calls to talk to Max, is unfair. Chloe never learned how to cope with and manage her pain in a healthy way. It's not until the end of the game, however, that she finally grasps and understands that.
Max: You are all that matters to me.

Chloe: I know. You proved that over and over again... even though I don't deserve it.

I'm so selfish... not like my mom... Look what she had to give up and live through... and she did. She deserves so much more than to be killed by a storm in a fucking diner.

Even my step... father deserves her alive.

There's so many more people in Arcadia Bay who should live... way more than me...
This is acceptance. This is Chloe admitting her faults, admitting guilt over how she's chosen to deal with everything that happened since her father's passing. It's her admitting that she was selfish. It's her admitting that it was wrong for her to be so angry at her mother just for trying to move on and find happiness in a relationship with someone else. That is immense progress and growth for Chloe, and when you ultimately make your decision as Max, you can either squander that, or respect it.

Why would Max choose to be selfish, when Chloe just showed her that selfishness is not the way to go?

Bay ending wins if we're talking "coherent thematic sense". It simultaneously completes the character arcs of both Max and Chloe.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I'm not going to repeat all my previous posts on the subject but undo button/reset endings are incredibly dull. They're the most predictable, tired and overplayed way possible to wrap up a time travel narrative.

That, plus the whole thematic heft of the game is Max learning that keeping rewinding events over and over just exacerbates the butterfly effect and makes everything worse. Having an ending where she does another massive rewind to try and fix everything AGAIN goes against this, and shows no lessons have been learnt. It's the childish denial ending, where the player refuses to accept things can't be fixed. If you read LiS as metaphor rather than taking a narrow literalistic approach to it, the storm is Max's coming of age. It's her accepting the consequences instead of running away from them. The girl who focuses on the things she's come to learn are most important to her (Chloe) and survives the storm is the girl who grows up, instead of the child pretending there is some prescribed order to things.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that the game is fundamentally, on a narrative level, poorly written so there is no ending that makes 100% sense thematically or narratively. Dontnod didn't put any thought into the endings so there's no point putting extensive thought into them yourself.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to repeat all my previous posts on the subject but undo button/reset endings are incredibly dull. They're the most predictable, tired and overplayed way possible to wrap up a time travel narrative.

That, plus the whole thematic heft of the game is Max learning that keeping rewinding events over and over just exacerbates the butterfly effect and makes everything worse. Having an ending where she does another massive rewind to try and fix everything AGAIN goes against this, and shows no lessons have been learnt. It's the childish denial ending, where the player refuses to accept things can't be fixed. If you read LiS as metaphor rather than taking a narrow literalistic approach to it, the storm is Max's coming of age. It's her accepting the consequences instead of running away from them. The girl who focuses on the things she's come to learn are most important to her (Chloe) and survives the storm is the girl who grows up, instead of the child pretending there is some prescribed order to things.
She factually does fix everything with that final rewind, though, proving that Chloe needed to die the whole time. Why did Max get her powers to begin with, then? Who knows, but Chloe's death in that bathroom fixed it all, unless you believe everything got fucked up again offscreen for no reason (which Dontnod never gave any indication of, so we have no reason to believe). This proves that it wasn't the rewinding itself that exacerbated things, but repeatedly saving Chloe over and over and over again which was the problem.

Calling it the "childish denial ending" is highly ironic, considering children are often selfish, and saving your own best friend over many, many people is the pinnacle of selfish behavior. Nothing childish about Chloe's admission of wrongdoing and acceptance of her fate, nothing childish about Max doing the virtuous thing in spite of the pain it causes her. I don't see how anyone can interpret the Bay ending as the "childish" one when, in the Bae ending, Max still can't accept that Chloe is already gone, even after fighting back the inevitable for the entire game. The inherent futility of saving Chloe was hammered home again and again across the episodes, so it's the opposite of a mature coming of age story for Max to try saving Chloe yet again after it didn't work the previous dozen times. In saving Arcadia Bay, Max becomes that "Everyday Hero" that was repeatedly alluded to since the very first episode.
The problem is that the game is fundamentally, on a narrative level, poorly written so there is no ending that makes 100% sense thematically or narratively. Dontnod didn't put any thought into the endings so there's no point putting extensive thought into them yourself.
I think it's interesting that these two endings are still such a point of contention in the fanbase, years later. At least they get people talking. I do wonder if LiS2's endings will generate such discussions as well.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I started writing an in-depth response to your post pointing out problems with your own logic, while checking mine, but I realized that arguing with you over this is futile. You want to take the game on its own terms and logic, which is silly since it implodes on itself. The writing, through Chloe, contradicts itself and gives Max, the player, one hell of a mixed message right before the final choice. For me this is isn't an argument about pure logic, since the game doesn't have coherency. I approach the game's final choice, which is essentially "Do you want Chloe dead or alive?", as a woman and lesbian who doesn't want to see Chloe, a queer young woman, ultimately dying for the sake of highly contrived tragedy.
I only put as much thought into as I do because so many people are guilted by the developers into sacrificing Chloe. T_T (Even women/non-men in the sapphic community.)

Last edited: