• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying there aren't any health benefits to cardio but it is not comparable to the health benefits you get from strength training. if you only have 1-2 hours for the gym a day you are making a poor investment putting it in cardio when you could be strength training and multiplying yourself and what you can do.

We'll just have to agree to disagree there. I've known too many buff people develop heart problems, have heart attacks etc. who were lifting a ton, looked great etc. but never did cardio. To be fair, they had sedentary jobs and moved little other than lifting. So the cardio is less necessary if people are at least walking a lot or have a manual labor job.

But I'll just bow out as I know all Fit Gaf/Era is more bodybuilding and/or powerlifting types and that's not my scene at all as I just like to (and have) stayed thin and healthy. Absolutely no value judgement there, I've just never had goals of bulking up or building more than functional strength with some light lifting at home with some adjustable dumbbells and bodyweight stuff.

It's not a "waste of time" if the purpose of your workout is fat burn upfront and not muscle building.

It all depends on what your goals are.

Cardio is useless? LOL. Why is this forum so dogmatic when it comes to exercise. It's like some people read Starting Strength and watch a couple YouTube videos of Rippetoe talking shit about anything other than squats and deadlifts and think that's the be all end all of fitness.

Yep. The problem with fitness/nutrition threads is people assume their goals/situation are universal, the best way to go, should be everyone's goal etc. With all the named and marketed workouts, diets etc. there some near cult-type beliefs around many things that make it worse.

Everyone has their own body type and goals and different workouts and diets will be better or worse depending on those combinations. Someone fat and wanting to lose weight fast will need a different plan than someone lean and wanting to bulk up and they'll need a different plan than someone thin and wanting to maintain that and so on.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Cardio is useless? LOL. Why is this forum so dogmatic when it comes to exercise. It's like some people read Starting Strength and watch a couple YouTube videos of Rippetoe talking shit about anything other than squats and deadlifts and think that's the be all end all of fitness.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Cool! Protein rules. Can't say I'm floored by the findings, of course. I do about half that I'd wager - @ 135.

Mar 9, 2018
It's an investment, there's no debating that. I use a Le Creuset that I picked up at an outlet. It was somewhere around $100, but I use the ever loving hell out of it. I also bake/convection bake lots of things too. Especially chicken, but I like my chicken to be about as moist as shoe leather, so take my advice with a grain of salt there.

Wow actually a le creuset seems really ideal I don't know why I didn't think of that. I don't run any risks with chicken either so mine usually is dry.

Oct 25, 2017
DbVGMDjU8AAZ_Dx.jpg
<3

fuckin best show

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017

Cardio is not useless but you don't really need it if you can keep up with the training. Aerobic exercise does improve the quality of life and vasculation but it has little to no effect on mortality. Sounds strange but that's what studies show.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
it's like i always tell you guys, get shredded

and lol at the no cardio people, you will never get shredded

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Correct. People tend to distrust it because of their own weird biases. "That can't be healthy! I'll stick with my 70s diet..." etc

70's diet probably wasn't bad, it was in the early 80's the 'back by no science' low fat diet was pushed by the govt, its shocking to see the graph on this

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK19623/figure/chartbook.f7/?report=objectonly

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/6-graphs-the-war-on-fat-was-a-mistake#section5
chartbook.f7

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a total newb to this sort of stuff. I recently started some light training with a kettlebell and youtube (fit by amy) every other day to work on toning legs/butt/thighs mostly for summer season (lots of squats!). I'm a 125lb female. According to this study, I should have something like 90grams of protein per day? That seems like a lot. I don't want to bulk or lose much weight at all, just looking to tone. I guess gaining more muscle would achieve that. Is the recommendation for protein everyday or only on the days you work out? Any suggestions from fit gaf era?

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Correct. People tend to distrust it because of their own weird biases. "That can't be healthy! I'll stick with my 70s diet..." etc

People will always reject advice that requires hard work.

Oh lifting weights, and eating at a calorie deficit means I lose weight? Better self diagnose multiple disorders and pretend I'm accurately tracking calories to call simply thermodynamics fake and useless.

I'm a total newb to this sort of stuff. I recently started some light training with a kettlebell and youtube (fit by amy) every other day to work on toning legs/butt/thighs mostly for summer season (lots of squats!). I'm a 125lb female. According to this study, I should have something like 90grams of protein per day? That seems like a lot. I don't want to bulk or lose much weight at all, just looking to tone. I guess gaining more muscle would achieve that. Is the recommendation for protein everyday or only on the days you work out? Any suggestions from fit gaf era?

Every day, but there's no reason to panic if you are at 80 for two days in a row or something.

Even eating 250 grams of protein a day isn't going to magically make you bulky from any workout plan quickly. It's a slow process, if it was that easy way more people would be jacked as hell instead of skinny or obese.

"Tone" isn't a real thing. The "Toned" look is essentially a person with low-medium muscle mass but also low bodyfat.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
Wow actually a le creuset seems really ideal I don't know why I didn't think of that. I don't run any risks with chicken either so mine usually is dry.

Yeah, they're not cheap, but they'll last forever and then some. Basically, buy one so that you don't have to replace it later.

And I'm the same way with chicken. No risks at all. My mother in law cooks it juicy and it gives me the creeps.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a common fear many woman have about lifting weights and eating protein. Trust me, you could eat 90 grams of protein and lift weights moderately and you're not going to be bulky and buff looking. It takes a huge effort to gain that kind of muscle.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017

Every day, but again, it all depends on your goals.

You're looking to "tone", so just keep exercising, and definitely hit the 90g protein per day...it's more reasonable than you think it is. Like, a half decent protein shake after a workout (Isopure is GREAT, and reasonable on calories), and a couple of chicken breasts here and there will get you there. I eat upwards of 130/day, and I don't work out as much as I SHOULD, but my lift numbers aren't bad, and I don't look terrible in a t-shirt (depending on who you ask), which I assume is *roughly* where you're aiming to be.

You will NOT bulk if you're not adding calories, and you won't "lose" much of anything, outside of body fat. Gaining muscle takes some effort, so if you're not trying to do it, chances are you will not.

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
So is stuff like Whey Protein shakes worth it? Doing a basic calculation here I assume my average is nowhere near what would be optimal at my weight, even on days when I do eat meat, and there's no way I can just throw in a couple extra pieces of meat every day to reach (and that would probably put me way up in calories given I am already gaining weight on my current diet). Based on this study it would be fine to just drink it at night, correct?

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People will always reject advice that requires hard work.

Every day, but there's no reason to panic if you are at 80 for two days in a row or something.

Even eating 250 grams of protein a day isn't going to magically make you bulky from any workout plan quickly. It's a slow process, if it was that easy way more people would be jacked as hell instead of skinny or obese.

"Tone" isn't a real thing. The "Toned" look is essentially a person with low-medium muscle mass but also low bodyfat.

This is a common fear many woman have about lifting weights and eating protein. Trust me, you could eat 90 grams of protein and lift weights moderately and you're not going to be bulky and buff looking. It takes a huge effort to gain that kind of muscle.

Every day, but again, it all depends on your goals.

You're looking to "tone", so just keep exercising, and definitely hit the 90g protein per day...it's more reasonable than you think it is. Like, a half decent protein shake after a workout (Isopure is GREAT, and reasonable on calories), and a couple of chicken breasts here and there will get you there. I eat upwards of 130/day, and I don't work out as much as I SHOULD, but my lift numbers aren't bad, and I don't look terrible in a t-shirt (depending on who you ask), which I assume is *roughly* where you're aiming to be.

You will NOT bulk if you're not adding calories, and you won't "lose" much of anything, outside of body fat. Gaining muscle takes some effort, so if you're not trying to do it, chances are you will not.

Awesome, thanks all. I'll adjust my grocery shopping to include more protein then and keep up the kettlebell.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never would've guessed that lifting weights and eating protein would put on muscle. Thankfully someone unlocked this mystery.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Might as well ask here - what's the best protein powder to get that does not have soy or aspartame?

Edit: Just saw the slickdeals links - merci.

Last edited:

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1.6 kg is so fucking hard on veggie and vegan diets. Plus side is we tend to eat less calories anyway.

True Nutrition has some really cheap veggie / plant protein powders, I've become lactose intolerant (even whey isolates can affect me), and I've used their Pea, and their Plant Blend (Pea / Hemp etc), but moved onto their Soy Isolate, it just tastes better (veggie protein taste like dirt, drinkable but really earthy), and its not an estrogen bomb like broscience touts.

Oct 25, 2017
So is stuff like Whey Protein shakes worth it? Doing a basic calculation here I assume my average is nowhere near what would be optimal at my weight, even on days when I do eat meat, and there's no way I can just throw in a couple extra pieces of meat every day to reach (and that would probably put me way up in calories given I am already gaining weight on my current diet). Based on this study it would be fine to just drink it at night, correct?
If you can't pull in the calories you need, use them. They're meant to supplement your intake to help you hit what you need to hit.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Getting so much protein sounds truly awful. Like, it's a task in and of itself, and moreover, you HAVE to eat certain things DAILY. Talk about awful.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I woman I was going out with, she started going to this exercise class. They have her protein shakes. She gained so much weight. I told her to stop the shakes. She stopped taking it and the weight fell off.

Turns out she wasn't doing any lifting, and taking too much shakes.

I might but some salmon today.

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, glad the whole 1.5g per lean body lbs myth for protein is getting dispelled. It was rough having two 50 gram protein shakes a day for me back in those days. Getting 130-150 grams a day is MUCH easier and enjoyable.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
In other news, water is wet.

The nonsense about cardio not being important is ridiculous. Do you care about your heart? If you are eating all that red met and only lifting weights your heart, the ost important muscle in your body, isn't going to be keeping up with the rest of your body.

If you want to be athletic just working out with weights will get you nowhere. You need to train for power not strength.
Usain Bolt uses weights on occassion, but do you think that is his main form of training?
Unless you're doing distance running, HIIT just seems to be straight up better than cardio, since the biological adaptations are more useful/aesthetic.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Hasn't it been said for ages that like .7/8ish grams per lean muscle mass in lbs is the most effective for the average person? People doing way over are just pissing(literally) their money away

Nov 7, 2017

I love doing cardio (or GPP for the powerlifting bros) but the meat and potatoes of my exercise regimen is barbell training. Some people think that doing body breaking crossfit/orange theory type cardio alone will make you healthy. Fuck all that. All you need should be HIIT or LISS cardio complemented with heavy barbell training

adrem007

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Only 1.6g/kg? Holy shit it's too good to be true, I feel like i'm ready to become some anti-science wacko to keep my sweet sweet protein safe

Only 1.6g/kg damnn

Buran

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
cardio is a waste of time and people would be getting greater benefits barbell training

Cardio can only hurt the performance of a lifter if is done before your heavy sessions and makes you tired when you face that lifts. Otherwise you can do as much cardio as you want.

In fact, cardio not only helps your overall health, the enhancements in your endurance thanks to doing cardio improves your recovery, so lets you to increase your lifting volume and therefore, if your eating and rest is on point, makes you to progress faster than lifters which doesn't add cardio to their training.

AMAGON

Prominent Member
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Just going through this article and thread but to verify, if I'm 210lbs, and I'm multiplying .7 to get 147 grams for my protein intake.

Is that correct ?