• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm honestly hating Isekai trope now. Just stop!

Hell I'd be more cool with Isekai if the worlds were more varied. I can't even count the number of times X creator claims to have made a new take on the Isekai genre right before they outline the races that populate their fantasy world; always some variation of Humans, Demons, Beastmen, Lizardmen, Elves and Dwarves. I swear next time I read a Light Novel, no matter how praised, it will take all my strength to read any further if two or more of these are used to populate the world. How about the world is an underwater city or a microscopic world or a space colony? Why always medieval fantasy?

Having read Arifutera's WN to chapter 301, here is a few note.

Generally, it's a fun novel with op MC, a touch geeky with all the artefact crafting ( Knight and Magic is for pure artefact crafting geek ). By chapter 180 the main story is finished and there are the after chapter which is really nice touch compared to some other LN.
Now, volume 1 is the exception in its tone. It's much darker than any of the following volume. Volume 5 and after should renew with a sense of tension/danger as powerful enemies appears, though not the edgy/emo of volume 1.
Compared to WN, the LN is better. J Novel made a good translation and the LN has more details.

If you want an unusual tensei isekai, Yen Press released "I'm a spider so what?". Story of a girl reincarnated in the body of a spider in a dungeon. The LN is better than the WN as it has more details once again, and also the S chapter are less fillerish. Note that the manga adaption so far skipped the S chapters so I wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks for the preview of Arifureta's future. I'm actually bummed it doesn't return to the bleakness of Volume 1. I did buy volume 1 of Spider so I'm excited to know that it's unique.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017
If you want an unusual tensei isekai, Yen Press released "I'm a spider so what?". Story of a girl reincarnated in the body of a spider in a dungeon. The LN is better than the WN as it has more details once again, and also the S chapter are less fillerish. Note that the manga adaption so far skipped the S chapters so I wouldn't recommend it.

So the light novel is better than the manga? I enjoyed what I read of the manga because the spider was bursting with personality even though she only had the guide skill to interact with. I recall a good chunk of the story going over stats which seemed like it would be pretty dry as a light novel so I haven't looked into it.

Hell I'd be more cool with Isekai if the worlds were more varied. I can't even count the number of times X creator claims to have made a new take on the Isekai genre right before they outline the races that populate their fantasy world; always some variation of Humans, Demons, Beastmen, Lizardmen, Elves and Dwarves. I swear next time I read a Light Novel, no matter how praised, it will take all my strength to read any further if two or more of these are used to populate the world. How about the world is an underwater city or a microscopic world or a space colony? Why always medieval fantasy?

I'm oddly interested in the vending machine book coming out at some point despite only knowing the title. I wonder if that one is fantasy also...

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This one seems super dumb and wish-fulfillmenty, even by the standards of a generic trashy isekai harem series. I like New Life+ better so far out of the two new ones on JNC.
If I remember correctly, this is the one where
the protagonist has a girlfriend in real world while maintaining his harem in isekai, cuz he has a cellphone that can call back to real world and apparently he can google fancy strategy and technology online.

In short, isekai is a mistake.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some of you might have watched the anime of Ryuuou no Oshigoto! and thought this is some kind of pedophilia freak show, but it's really not. It won Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! two years in a row for a reason. This is a light novel written with utmost passion and care. It's Shirō Shiratori's magnum opus. Too bad the anime decide to focus on sexualizing underage girls.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'm really bad with new years resolutions, but I made one to spend more time reading this year. So far I just finished 幸せ二世帯同居計画, final got around to completing 妹さえいればいい8。and just started reading 社会的には死んでも君を!

Not sure what I will read next, looking for some non-isekai recommendations.

Merun

Oct 25, 2017
So the light novel is better than the manga? I enjoyed what I read of the manga because the spider was bursting with personality even though she only had the guide skill to interact with. I recall a good chunk of the story going over stats which seemed like it would be pretty dry as a light novel so I haven't looked into it.

The manga sadly skips the S chapter which are essential to the later plot. And her personality is still prominent in the LN while explaining skills.

Some of you might have watched the anime of Ryuuou no Oshigoto! and thought this is some kind of pedophilia freak show, but it's really not. It won Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! two years in a row for a reason. This is a light novel written with utmost passion and care. It's Shirō Shiratori's magnum opus. Too bad the anime decide to focus on sexualizing underage girls.

I have read the first volume and can quite agree that's it's more shougi / cute though also there was a few sexual innuendos joke... i mean the first page may push people into throwing the book away into the lolicon bin, which is unfair. My biggest grip though is with Bookwalker. Combination of limited font and the translation quality just doesn't make me want to read more.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have read the first volume and can quite agree that's it's more shougi / cute though also there was a few sexual innuendos joke... i mean the first page may push people into throwing the book away into the lolicon bin, which is unfair. My biggest grip though is with Bookwalker. Combination of limited font and the translation quality just doesn't make me want to read more.

:( Too bad to hear that the English translation is not good. I think it really starts to shine in book 3, and the climax is book 5. The author originally planned to end the book in 5 volumes so book 5 has that grand finale feel. I just finished book 6 and it's really good. Book 7 just came out in Japan and I heard good impression too. I haven't been excited for a light novel for quite some time.

Merun

Oct 25, 2017
:( Too bad to hear that the English translation is not good. I think it really starts to shine in book 3, and the climax is book 5. The author originally planned to end the book in 5 volumes so book 5 has that grand finale feel. I just finished book 6 and it's really good. Book 7 just came out in Japan and I heard good impression too. I haven't been excited for a light novel for quite some time.

Nice to know that it's that good. I'm not a native English speaker nor Japanese, so usually I'm not bothered by quality nor the best judge but for this one, the narration feels a bit stiff / dry. I suppose I will pick volume 2 some time in the future.

Furyous

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
God of Slaughter

This is a struggle version of Emperor's Domination. In this novel the MC struggles to overcome things disenfranchises clans from time to time. In ED, the pattern is:

People scheme against MC
MC displays sheer arrogance pissing them off
People attack MC only for MC to kill them
MC annihilates their entire sect/race in <100 chapters from the date of killing the person

Immortal Mortal 836

MC made it back to
earth but is once again depowered after someone tried to possess him inside a talisman powered mountain.
This guy is
crippled and depowered
more times than anyone I can think of.

OP
OP
Quasar

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017

I dunno. After an episode or two it seemed to get on track focusing on Shogi for the most part. Admittedly given its a 20 minute show its pretty limited, just like March Comes in Like a Lion, aside from some spurts.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dunno. After an episode or two it seemed to get on track focusing on Shogi for the most part. Admittedly given its a 20 minute show its pretty limited, just like March Comes in Like a Lion, aside from some spurts.
The anime got better, but nowhere near the novel. It even cut some very important story scenes.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Got around to rereading The Empty Box and the Zeroth Maria volumes 1 and 2. Originally read them via fan-translations back in the day. Still holds up, I think! Love the dynamic between the main characters. Glad Yen picked it up.

RealTravisty

Mar 29, 2018
Got around to rereading The Empty Box and the Zeroth Maria volumes 1 and 2. Originally read them via fan-translations back in the day. Still holds up, I think! Love the dynamic between the main characters. Glad Yen picked it up.

I took the plunge on this series due to the high ranking on MAL and I do not regret it. I'm seriously looking forward to the rest of the series, as well as Eiji's other works. Otonashi might be one of my favourite heroines in Japanese media.

Soya

Oct 28, 2017
What's as good or better as The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor? This shit is lit!!!
Overgeared.
Pretty similar but the MC is a legendary blacksmith. MC is a bit unlikeable in the beginning, but he slowly grows with the story. Still needs around 90 chapters until he doesn't bother most readers.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
Wait, I recently subscribed monthly to J Novel club, I think I misunderstood what it gives me. I'm not able to read the full novels? It's just previews for certain parts? I'm trying to read The Faraway Paladin, but like Part 1 finishes abruptly. I thought I was done, and was supposed to go to the next book, but there's a obviously a big chunk of story I'm missing now if I go to the next book.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I recently subscribed monthly to J Novel club, I think I misunderstood what it gives me. I'm not able to read the full novels? It's just previews for certain parts? I'm trying to read The Faraway Paladin, but like Part 1 finishes abruptly. I thought I was done, and was supposed to go to the next book, but there's a obviously a big chunk of story I'm missing now if I go to the next book.

Yes, you should get the full novel online. It seems that some are available, some are not, or the recent volume is available online and previous volumes are not. Weird.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've recommended Ryuuou no Oshigoto! before but I want to mention it again. The best part of the novel is the postscript. He talked about the inspiration of the book, and his personal life. In book eight he announced he's getting married, and his wife works at a bookstore. He met her when she was promoting Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Now that's a LN writer kind of love story.

Merun

Oct 25, 2017
I've recommended Ryuuou no Oshigoto! before but I want to mention it again. The best part of the novel is the postscript. He talked about the inspiration of the book, and his personal life. In book eight he announced he's getting married, and his wife works at a bookstore. He met her when she was promoting Ryuuou no Oshigoto! Now that's a LN writer kind of love story.

Wow, that's some nice love story there. Third volume on the 29th, so I guess I will continue to read. I did watch the anime, but I hope the volume 3 will divert from it. Actually, anime diverted from second volume iirc.

Otherwise, isekai reading continue.

Spider girl / Kumoko: Volume 2 gives more hint at the global plot while trolling the readers. The LN is a refined version of the WN, and LN is still the version I recommend to read. It will only get crazier later and I hope there are some changes as well. After 250+ chapters, the WN also lost a bit of what made the beginning of the story. I believe the WN entered its last arc but I'm not sure what will happen yet.

Arifureta 6: It's Arifureta, refined. Not much to say. It's basically Hajime and co vs enemies. A chuuni LN in short. Based on current speed of even, I expect main story to be done by volume 12 or 13.

Arifuteta Zero: Author admits he has watched too much Kingsman, and Kingsman does inspire chuuni writters. Since it's the first volume, I can't say anything about a harem or not, but if you have read Arifureta past volume 1 you know what you are getting into. Characters though are less overpowered than the original series.

Death March 4: The LN is finally going back to WN story with the Muno territory. The story is almost entirely rewritten and different. It includes much more world building. Honestly, till volume 4, I was a bit perplexed by the LN version. LN version has much more details, but also slower than WN which just grabbed readers with op moments, world system explanations, artifact crafting and more culinary moments. Volume 4 is the first one which reads just like the Death March I know and appreciate.There is also one big different I appreciate immensely coming from the WN.
He reveals his identity to his party early. WN, he just kept it secrets for aeons making it ridiculous considering that Arisa is very intelligent and perceptive, and Mia can easily figure it out as well...

Max level witch: Pretty new one. It's the story of an overworked office lady, who died at the age of 27. She got reincarnated as an immortal 17 years old witch who spent 300 peaceful years living her life and killing slimes. And people discover that after all this time, she level 99. Peaceful days are ending now.
This is some slice of life, heart warming stories with comedy. Ok, I have read the WN, so once again, it's more fleshed out. It's also a nice change from all these survival and saving the world isekai.

And a bunch more... I have to continue Overlord and also perhaps get HakoMari 2. First volume of HakoMari was a bit messy, and didn't grab me as much as I expected. Overhyped? Perhaps, or reading during a flight wasn't a good idea... Only Maria presents a mystery so I'm hoping to learn more in volume 2.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that's some nice love story there. Third volume on the 29th, so I guess I will continue to read. I did watch the anime, but I hope the volume 3 will divert from it. Actually, anime diverted from second volume iirc.
And his bride is seven years younger than him. In the book Ai is seven years younger than the protagonist. That's some ominous foreshadowing of the book lol.

Merun

Oct 25, 2017
And his bride is seven years younger than him. In the book Ai is seven years younger than the protagonist. That's some ominous foreshadowing of the book lol.

Compulsory
tenor.gif

Merun

Oct 25, 2017
JNovel just added Lazy Dungeon Master to their list. An isekai with dungeon building. Mostly comedy and some interesting dungeon twist from the MC. LN seems to be a step up from WN.

They also have 11 LN to announce and they are adding a publisher which is good news. Hint for next LN announcement is "RTFM". As for next publisher... no idea.

And back to more reading... it's incredible how many LN are getting translated lately. It feels like I soon won't have enough time to read them all.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Recently finished The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria that was a real good second half, it really got me with its revelations. Hearing Vol 2 is the weakest so I'll read it together with Vol 3 when that's out i pick it up.

Will likely start to read Faraway Paladin next, hearing nothing but praise for that one.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Man this thread is deather than Ainz Ooal Gown. Finally dipped a bit on this side of the medium, Overlord really hooked me so after the anime I wanted more so i checked the manga. I was shocked that the manga was the worst offender content wise, I can't wait for Vol. 8 and 9 on kindle

Oct 28, 2017
what's up guys, this has been a very expensive undertaking but super enjoyable too. i find it very enjoyable to start with the manga and then read the LN counterpart, perhaps putting faces and what not to the characters heighten the experience i feel it is very true with not so good illustration work for example The Unwanted Undead Adventurer it really has very amateurish illustrations

anyways this is pretty much how my library looks

*everything is 100% but on my tablet*

Esfolia

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
what's up guys, this has been a very expensive undertaking but super enjoyable too. i find it very enjoyable to start with the manga and then read the LN counterpart, perhaps putting faces and what not to the characters heighten the experience i feel it is very true with not so good illustration work for example The Unwanted Undead Adventurer it really has very amateurish illustrations

anyways this is pretty much how my library looks

*everything is 100% but on my tablet*
Nice! Which one would you recommend the most out of the ones you have there?

Oct 28, 2017
Nice! Which one would you recommend the most out of the ones you have there?

hmm, thanks to Overlord ive been on a dark/fantasy streak so i would recommend Overlord of course

that been said That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime surprised me in how much i liked the premise now im talking about the manga here so ill get back to you when i begin reading the LN now that i finished reading all the available manga. (the same applies to Goblin Slayer)

now Overlord is on the gritty side so i dont know how much you like that kind of read, your POV is that of an undead monster after all. if you dont like that kind of gritty then The Rising of The Shield Hero is quite good too

Esfolia

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
hmm, thanks to Overlord ive been on a dark/fantasy streak so i would recommend Overlord of course

that been said That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime surprised me in how much i liked the premise now im talking about the manga here so ill get back to you when i begin reading the LN now that i finished reading all the available manga. (the same applies to Goblin Slayer)

now Overlord is on the gritty side so i dont know how much you like that kind of read, your POV is that of an undead monster after all. if you dont like that kind of gritty then The Rising of The Shield Hero is quite good too
Thanks for your response! I think I'll give Overlord a try and see how that goes

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So Nier Automata: Long Story Short turned out not-so-great. To quote myself on Twitter:

Not a huge fan of Nier Automata: Long Story Short's prose so far. It's lacking flow, very rigid, and overly descriptive of things the reader should be able to infer from the dialogue itself. Not sure if they were going for it, but it reads like it was written by Pod 042.

Really detailed review on the issues in chapter 1 alone: