• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm kicking off this new era of light novel reading.

p02Lbus.jpg

From wikipedia:
light novel (ライトノベル raito noberu?) is a style of Japanese novel primarily targeting middle- and high-school students (young adult demographic). "Light novel" is a wasei-eigo, or a Japanese term formed from words in the English language. Such short, light novels are often called ranobe (ラノベ?) or LN in the West. They are typically not more than 40,000–50,000 words long (the shorter ones being equivalent to a novella in US publishing terms), are rarely more than a few hundred pages, often have dense publishing schedules, are usually published in bunkobon size, and are often illustrated.The text is often serialized in anthology magazines before collection in book form.

Example:

Sword Art Online
Monogatari Series
Durarara!
Log Horizon
To aru Majutsu No Index
Spice and Wolf

Publishers:
Western publishers of light novels include:

J-Novel Book Club
Seven Seas Entertainment
Vertical
Yen Press

Where To Get:
Check you local book store.

For any of you international folk's that have issues with shipping light novels and more to your place, I highly suggest using Book Depository. Free shipping worldwide and they are regularly cheaper than Amazon and Kinokuniya.

For digital releases, try some of the following:

Amazon Kindle Store
Apple iBooks
Bookwalker
Google Play Books

Other Useful Links:

English Light Novels - News and reviews of english light novel releases
Light Novel Database
Light Novel Review
Novel Updates

EDIT: Thanks to RRW for this.

Last edited:

lacky

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I've recently bought Bake 1 and 2, Kizu, both of Nise, SAO 1, SAO Progressive Vol. 1 and your name. I should try to start reading them.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I just got in my order of Psycome v5, Re:zero v5, Log Horizon v9, and Sword Oratoria v4.

Plenty of reading for me this weekend.

RRW

Oct 26, 2017
1cwEkYK.jpg

I recommended this. very positive LN

the story goes that you have Tomozaki. Pessimistic person who think life is a "Difficult game.". He then meet Hinami, A very positive girl. Hinami disgusted on Tomozaki negativity and decide to help him by giving positive energy. She then give him a "guidebook " of "game of life" The guide book mostly consist of mundane stuff like Exercise or Socializing. But generally it give Tomozaki a Positive Life energy. So is really nice to see how having psotive life effecting a person

Read This if you want to be more positive

Oct 26, 2017
I disagree on the OT title as from what I've seen in JP new releases, there's a lot more trash light novels than anime and manga, but I do enjoy a couple. Spice and Wolf and Quantum Devil Saga are amazing.

Would I maybe like the Re:Zero light novels more than the anime? Is the characterization of Subaru better in those? I absolutely hated him in the first couple of episodes and dropped it.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would I maybe like the Re:Zero light novels more than the anime? Is the characterization of Subaru better in those? I absolutely hated him in the first couple of episodes and dropped it.

The impression I got is that if you don't like the anime, you won't like the novel. I can't speak for myself as I never read it or watch it.

OP
OP
Quasar

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
The impression I got is that if you don't like the anime, you won't like the novel. I can't speak for myself as I never read it or watch it.

It might happen though. There's a bunch of LN based anime that I thought were poor but the LN were much better. Mostly because the shows cut of all the bits that I find more interesting and focus just on the action and ecchi scenes.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It might happen though. There's a bunch of LN based anime that I thought were poor but the LN were much better. Mostly because the shows cut of all the bits that I find more interesting and focus just on the action and ecchi scenes.

I was specifically talking about Re:0. In fact I heard people say the anime is better.

Merun

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps Kobo could be added to OP for ebook store. According to r/LightNovel, Kobo images are less compressed thank Kindle. Bigger ebook are more expensive to distribute on Amazon.

Otherwise tried the free chapters of The Ryuo's work is never done. Loli with comedic innuendo, you have been warned. Aside of that it's cute and the shogi aspect, for someone who has never played, is quite entertaining. I would certainly get the first volume, but BookWalker exclusivity is making it a hard pick; DRM forcing using their app, and said app has poor typography options. May wait 6 months for the end of their exclusivity...

Also bought HakoMari. Heard good things but not sure when I wil read.

kierwynn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I missed this thread until now! I want to start reading some LNs, so glad to find this resource! Not sure what to start first- thinking of giving Re:Zero a try since I enjoyed the anime.

DreTheSage

Oct 27, 2017
Pensacola, FL
I got addicted to the legendary moonlight sculptor. that was my first light novel. I looked for it and started reading it because I got tired of waiting for updates of the manhua.

it turned out to be one of the best novel series I've ever read but unfortunately its no longer being translated so now I'm stuck waiting for the next translator to pick it up.

another Light novel that I start reading because I got tired of waiting for updates is tales of demons and gods but the writing fell off recently.

The third and last light novel that I started reading is Battle through the heavens which is complete in China but English translation are updated daily.

I really like it.

The next light novel series I will probably start reading is overlord and world customize creator.

Soya

Oct 28, 2017
I got addicted to the legendary moonlight sculptor. that was my first light novel. I looked for it and started reading it because I got tired of waiting for updates of the manhua.

it turned out to be one of the best novel series I've ever read but unfortunately its no longer being translated so now I'm stuck waiting for the next translator to pick it up.
It is translated by a new group and they finished v49 a few days ago. New chapters are no longer posted on reddit I think, if you got your updates there. You can find links to the new group on novelupdates.com
I did not read the new chapters yet so I can't comment on translation quality.

Soya

Oct 28, 2017
Dre Sage if you are still searching for similar novels I would recommend Overgeared.
It is a Korean VRMMO novel that is, at least in the beginning, very similar to LMS. It is still ongoing with over 700 chapters. The translation is at chapter 106 and it is translated by Rainbowturtle the former LMS translator. Translation speed is pretty fast with 20 chapters a week.
The index has a pretty comprehensive synopsis and overview, so check it out.

Last edited:

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So bummed by the Nekomonogatari delay. 3 weeks extra is rough. Maybe they found an error in the early print copies at AnimeNYC.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize how long its been since I actually read one of my LNs. I was thinking of getting another to go with the manna releases next month but I realized I've have volume 7 of spice and wolf sitting around unread for almost a year and a half.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
SAO new arc incoming https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/da...t-online-novels-enter-unital-ring-arc/.125090

I was thinking it was going to end, guess its just going to keep on going. I hope AW and the Isolator keep going too.

Huh, I thought it was going to end after that the end of the most recent arc. I'm fine with this though I guess. Not read the arc that the new anime is based on but I'm looking forward to watching it in anime form. (I'll read the arc eventually as well lol)

Still wonder what this Unital ring arc is about.

Esfolia

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
I recently finished last week a one-shot light novel called 3 Days of Happiness, and it's still on my mind. It's so great and really insightful on the meaning and importance of life.

Kovaelin

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Would anyone recommend Zero no Tsukaima? I watched the anime way back when the first season came out, but I never returned to the series. I'm tempted to return to it now that the story is finished.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for apps to read on Android (maybe something similar to Tachiyomi)? Thank you.

ManniUncanny

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really hyped to get in the Monogatari series as an entry into LN. Though bookdepository is being stubborn shipping out the first volume.

I usually really enjoy genre mixing stories and this seems to have it plentifully.

Can I expect illustrated pages every time a new character is introduced? One of the intrigues I have for LN over western novels is it appears from the outside that characters appearances are predefined for the audience.
I saw the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film before reading the books and it was a struggle not to imagine Ford Prefect as Mos Def over the books vastly different description. Or other times I just completely misunderstand the author's given description.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would anyone recommend Zero no Tsukaima? I watched the anime way back when the first season came out, but I never returned to the series. I'm tempted to return to it now that the story is finished.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for apps to read on Android (maybe something similar to Tachiyomi)? Thank you.

It's like baby's first light novel. Not bad, just kinda basic I guess. I read it before and I liked it but I don't think I can enjoy it now. The world building gets interesting in the later volumes then the writer passed away. Another writer finished the story. Maybe you can watch the second season of anime to see if you're still interested.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone tell me whether the J-Novel Club re-edits of Invaders of the Rokujouma are vastly superior to the original fan translations? I'm itching for more than one volume a month.

Kovaelin

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
It's like baby's first light novel. Not bad, just kinda basic I guess. I read it before and I liked it but I don't think I can enjoy it now. The world building gets interesting in the later volumes then the writer passed away. Another writer finished the story. Maybe you can watch the second season of anime to see if you're still interested.
Thanks for your suggestion and the info! I also have a feeling that I might not like it as much if I revisit it now after so long either. I feel like it came out before the "visiting other worlds" or "visitors from another world changing this world" themes became super trendy. Now, it's unusual if one doesn't show up every quarter. I might still give it a go eventually. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Quasar

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCTOlDbl7DuvNpbtD7hH637A

So I randomly ran across this channel on YouTube today. Didn't even know there were light novel channels. Lots of reviews, but also weekly updates on Japanese sales.

Do kind of wish with his end of year sales video something similar was possible in the US. Don't care about sales numbers but seeing what titles sell best would be interesting.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, subbed to this channel for now ^ ty for posting. Will check out some vids later on.

ManniUncanny

Oct 27, 2017
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCTOlDbl7DuvNpbtD7hH637A

So I randomly ran across this channel on YouTube today. Didn't even know there were light novel channels. Lots of reviews, but also weekly updates on Japanese sales.

Do kind of wish with his end of year sales video something similar was possible in the US. Don't care about sales numbers but seeing what titles sell best would be interesting.

Thanks for this! I've been subbing to most of the 'big' manga haul youtubers to get an idea of stuff to buy, and have been thinking about doing the same for light novels. Subbed to him before even watching a vid, he looks like he knows his stuff.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't started up Re: Zero even though I have the first volume and love the anime.
Did use money from X-mas to buy the first volumes of Shield Hero, Realist Hero, Goblin Slayer, & Arifureta. Plugging through Arifureta right now and
like that they give the protag an in world reason to be OP and he basically had to nearly die to get there but I do hope things actually provide a challenge for him in the future. And not looking forward to the almost definite harem he'll build by returning to the surface :/
I also bought an American LN by a black creator called StreetSlam but haven't touched it yet. I hope it's good. I'm interested in more US Light Novelists popping up.

Last edited:

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hyped to get in the Monogatari series as an entry into LN. Though bookdepository is being stubborn shipping out the first volume.

I usually really enjoy genre mixing stories and this seems to have it plentifully.

Can I expect illustrated pages every time a new character is introduced? One of the intrigues I have for LN over western novels is it appears from the outside that characters appearances are predefined for the audience.
I saw the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film before reading the books and it was a struggle not to imagine Ford Prefect as Mos Def over the books vastly different description. Or other times I just completely misunderstand the author's given description.
Are you starting with Kizumonogatari or Bakemonogatari?

For the most part, the novels only have two or three illustrations per book. The cover, the inner title page, and maybe another title page if it's a combo like Bake 1 and 2. The only characters that get illustrated are the ones the story's focused on, pretty much exclusively the girls, so you won't be seeing pictures of Araragi, Oshino, or Kaiki. The prose is solid enough that you won't have any trouble imagining what people look like though. Worst case, google them.

ManniUncanny

Oct 27, 2017
Are you starting with Kizumonogatari or Bakemonogatari?

For the most part, the novels only have two or three illustrations per book. The cover, the inner title page, and maybe another title page if it's a combo like Bake 1 and 2. The only characters that get illustrated are the ones the story's focused on, pretty much exclusively the girls, so you won't be seeing pictures of Araragi, Oshino, or Kaiki. The prose is solid enough that you won't have any trouble imagining what people look like though. Worst case, google them.

I'm starting with Bakemonogatari. I did read that Nisio Isin has said the English translation Kizu' is still a good place to start.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Nisio's Monogatari stuff really is nice huh? I haven't even considered reading any of the novels since my first exposure was to the first anime and I bounced off of it pretty hard. I'm in such a different place in my life now though that I think at least giving a few of the books a chance might be in order. It might speak to me more.

BTW, has there been any stray news about the Violet Evergarden books being translated? I know the anime is running but I've resolved to read LNs and manga instead of watching adaptations recently mostly as an excuse to read more in general.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Finished the first volumes of Arifureta and Goblin Slayer. Both managed to really impress. Second volume of Arifureta has started a bit dull but I hope it picks up. I've set that aside though to jump on Realist Hero and really love it. Concept is very similar to Maoyuu Maou Yuusha but I hadn't read that and only watched a few episodes of the anime. I really do like stories where strength isn't used to defeat overwhelming odds but wits, planning & intelligence. (No Game No Life comes to mind). The protagonist of Realist Hero is a little on the empty side which is kind of an issue with a lot of LNs with blank slate MCs but he's still really endearing due to his knowledge and wisdom. I'm also thankful that (so far at least) he doesn't have that kind of "harem protagonist" perversion and his thoughts aren't always about resisting the urge to ogle the women in his vicinity.

OP
OP
Quasar

Quasar

Oct 25, 2017
So what is Arifureta about? i know the anime got pushed back to I think next year.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
So what is Arifureta about? i know the anime got pushed back to I think next year.
Another Isekai story but this time it's a whole class of high school students being sent to a fantasy world to use special powers to defeat the overwhelming force of the demon armies threatening the rest of the world. . The main character is basically not given any special powers though. His only bit of magic is transmutation on the level of your standard blacksmith and his stats are in many cases below the threshold of the average citizen. As such despite being bullied in the real world for being a closed off type of dude, he's continued to be put upon for basically being outright useless in any encounter particularly against the oncoming threats. After the group's first real adventure into a dungeon they are defeated (not killed though) and the MC is plunged into the deepest depths of the labyrinth alone after sacrificing himself to help his fellow students. There due to luck and the will to survive he's forged into basically a ridiculous OP powerhouse, meets a similarly skilled vampire girl and leaves with her to find a way back to Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
Theres still numerous LNs that arent Isekai. But I think people do like the seeing what happens when normal everyday highschool, salaryman, or NEET goes to become an alternate worlds savior.

Merun

Oct 25, 2017
Having read Arifutera's WN to chapter 301, here is a few note.

Generally, it's a fun novel with op MC, a touch geeky with all the artefact crafting ( Knight and Magic is for pure artefact crafting geek ). By chapter 180 the main story is finished and there are the after chapter which is really nice touch compared to some other LN.
Now, volume 1 is the exception in its tone. It's much darker than any of the following volume. Volume 5 and after should renew with a sense of tension/danger as powerful enemies appears, though not the edgy/emo of volume 1.
Compared to WN, the LN is better. J Novel made a good translation and the LN has more details.

If you want an unusual tensei isekai, Yen Press released "I'm a spider so what?". Story of a girl reincarnated in the body of a spider in a dungeon. The LN is better than the WN as it has more details once again, and also the S chapter are less fillerish. Note that the manga adaption so far skipped the S chapters so I wouldn't recommend it.