• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which theme reigns supreme?

• LightERA (Legacy)

Votes: 257 15.7%
  • DarkERA (Legacy)

Votes: 1,121 68.5%
  • DayEra

Votes: 56 3.4%
  • NightEra

Votes: 177 10.8%
  • Undecided

Votes: 26 1.6%

• Total voters

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Honestly, I feel like, logically, the new designs make sense from a logical UX perspective compared to the legacy themes, but for some reason, they're not clicking with me. It could be that I'm just not used to them yet, but I just feel like I'm constantly fighting with the interface instead of using it intuitively. At the same time, I don't want to go back to the old themes, as they are more of a hassle.

I will say that I prefer the colors of the legacy themes over the new themes.

As of right now, I rate all of them as the following:

UX design:

NightEra > DayEra > DarkERA > LightERA

Color preference:

DarkERA > LightERA > NightEra > DayEra

Best overall theme:

Undecided

So what say you, ERA?! Which theme reigns supreme, in your opinion?

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i once was light

but now im dark

was blind

but now

i see

AgentChris

Oct 26, 2017
Both legacy themes have style and personality to them. The new ones are built for touch screens and look generic.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike the new Night Era. That purple is assaulting me, the placement of elements is a bit off, and I don't like the pop up element for top bottom refresh; it's very distracting. Plus I can't jump to the top of the latest page, which is preferred form of reading the most recent developments.

I know someone worked very hard on it, and I appreciate that, but I'd love if DarkERA was continued to be supported.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
On mobile, definitely like the new Night theme except the purple's a bit too bright. Otherwise, it's great. Buttons are the right size for these meat paws.

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The legacy themes always looked ugly as hell, especially the typography. I always thought they looked rushed and simple.

There are definitely some tweaks that need to be made to the current ones, but they are much better foundations to build on.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I use NightEra for my tablet and phone, and switch back to DarkEra (Legacy) when I'm on a computer. There are some real problems with the new themes that I hope the admins fix in a later iteration.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
In respect to the hard work people have put into the new designs, I just don't like them. The colors are way too vibrant for my eyes and the avatar situation needs to be fixed ASAP. I'm still sticking to LightEra and DarkEra for now but I am open to trying them out in the future.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I'm always on Dark legacy and I just checked out the other 2

They're very bright. It hurts my eyes a bit on mobile with the blue and black and how it contrasts.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
I really dislike the new Night Era. That purple is assaulting me, the placement of elements is a bit off, and I don't like the pop up element for top bottom refresh; it's very distracting. Plus I can't jump to the top of the latest page, which is preferred form of reading the most recent developments.

I know someone worked very hard on it, and I appreciate that, but I'd love if DarkERA was continued to be supported.

I feel like you've perfectly articulated my problems with the new themes. Thank you!

Why is the capitalization so inconsistent

I want to know this as well, lol

On mobile, definitely like the new Night theme except the purple's a bit too bright.

If feel like the purple is doing something very sinister to my eyes.

Buttons are the right size for these meat paws.

YES!

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
NightERA here however I had to switch to DarkERA because fullscreens videos not working right on the computer is annoying.

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017
Day era is better. I don't like the heavy purple in night era.

Edit: Legacy dark is by far more pleasing to the eye than any other.

Last edited:

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DarkERA (Legacy) until nearly everything about the appearance of NightERA is fixed.

Is whoever made DarkERA trying to top themselves or something with NightERA? It seemed to be in development for a far shorter length of time, and it's still vastly superior.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
DarkERA Purple is simply the best shade. For a dark theme, NightERA is blinding.

The new themes are awesome/intuitive but the colors are just... not working.

Last edited:

Sexy Fish

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah DarkERA legacy is easily the best. Won't be changing.

NightERA makes my eyes hurt and that's the opposite of what a dark theme should do.

Last edited:

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how the new night theme looks on my tablet. The neon purple looks terrible, the forum shortcut bar at the bottom thats always there is a waste of space (should only be at the very bottom of the page instead of scrolling along with what youre reading), the font is too big, and the margins are huge.

Most of all I really don't understand why theyre so dead set with the neon purple. Seems like an easy fix after nearly everyone posted that they disliked it yet its still there after the first update.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Not a single vote for DayEra so far, lol. Nevermind!

Also, I'm surprised I'm the only undecided voter so far!

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
Dark Legacy is a safe cave for my sensitive eyes.
Night theme purple logo is too big and bright. Just seems off in general, I think. Pops too much.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
is a waste of space (should only be at the very bottom of the page instead of scrolling along with what youre reading), the font is too big, and the margins are huge.

I actually strongly disagree with this. I do not want to have to scroll all the way down the page just to leave the thread and go back to the sub-forum. The persistent shortcut bar is a definite improvement, in my opinion.

OP
OP

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The more the shortcut bar shakes after a refresh, the more I dislike it. I really don't understand that design decision. Most browsers provide plenty of feedback for when a page is refreshed. It seems unnecessarily redundant.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Dark ERA Legacy is the correct answer.

Sounds like an action adventure game title lol

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
I'm really not into new era. I don't like the floating buttons. I feel like they take up too much space on mobile.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I switch between LightERA and DarkERA (both Legacy ones).

Honestly kind of shocked that the blindingly bright neon purple color in the newer themes hasn't been tweaked yet after an entire month, considering that was like 99% of the user feedback.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the new themes. Tried to switch to them multiple times but always gave up and switched back.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
yeah the color on Night is (opinion) astonishingly bad.

a 'MonoERA' would be great
if i never saw the color purple again my life would be 1000x better

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
when i tried the new formats, it felt like there was wasted space everywhere, like my desktop had been forced to load a mobile page. then i went on my phone and it still felt like there was too much wasted space, so i just switched back to lightera and stayed there.

i didn't stay on the new editions long enough to form an opinion about the floating shortcut bar.

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
DarkERA. The new NightEra feels like a quick website prototype/starter template, the legacy design feels like...home.

I spend a lot of time on my phone at night in bed, and the new colors are completely unbearable.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
light era legacy looks just right, when it was changed to something else I went back to it in a few seconds.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
They did change the color in the new Night Era... but I still prefer Dark Era Legacy. Better use of screen real estate and easier for me to navigate.

Smelck

Oct 27, 2017
Rotorua, NZ
Love dark era legacy, perfect colour scheme , and format ( bar the mod red)....appreciate the work on night, but why not bring the better features to the legacy themes that are universally more popular ?

Can someone in the creative team make comment around what they are trying to achieve and possibly shed some light on why the chorus of feedback is largely being ignored ?