• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Super cool get for LRG and I hope this leads to more future titles (Housemarque pls, Dead Nation and Resogun most importantly). Guess LRG is no longer an indie publisher now that they're working with platform holders directly.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Funny, so I also bought the Jak and Daxter but in haste was thinking it was the collection. I do not appreciate the surprise approach and won't be buying another one of them. This one will get dumped on EBay to cut my losses.

Wait, it's not a part? Man, the surprise approach really sucks because you have no time to digest or even figure out what the hell is going on.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, it's not a part? Man, the surprise approach really sucks because you have no time to digest or even figure out what the hell is going on.

I thought it was the collection for some reason, rather than one semi poorly emulated PS2 game. Just the haste element used to boost sales.

There is no collection for the PS4 I think, just a digital bundle of all the PS2 emulated games. The bundle is $40 digital (when not on sale), so this way they quadruple dip on physical.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was the collection for some reason, rather than one semi poorly emulated PS2 game. Just the haste element used to boost sales.

There is no collection for the PS4 I think, just a digital bundle of all the PS2 emulated games. The bundle is $40 digital (when not on sale), so this way they quadruple dip on physical.

Oh I misread. I was thinking you were saying it wasn't part of the LRG official collection like a few games aren't.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I misread. I was thinking you were saying it wasn't part of the LRG official collection like a few games aren't.

I wondered about the wording of your post, makes sense now.

Yeah I long ago gave up on any concern about what does or doesn't count for LRG's numbering. I feel for anyone trying to keep that going, yuck.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Are all the Jak, and Daxter games releasing through LRG? Sony's tweet confused me.

Shantae , and Cosmic Star Heroine for me.

Saoshyant

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I would assume it's the remaster? PS2 port would be odd.
It's the PS2 version, ISO emulated from disc. There is no PS3 remastered version of the game on the PS4.

And it's not bad, per se, so solid game, boxed as a collector item, it's fine by me. The other Jak games, though? I'd skip those. Their emulation is botched in a lot of places.

Are all the Jak, and Daxter games releasing through LRG? Sony's tweet confused me.

Yes, they are.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
It's the PS2 version, ISO emulated from disc. There is no PS3 remastered version of the game on the PS4.

And it's not bad, per se, so solid game, boxed as a collector item, it's fine by me. The other Jak games, though? I'd skip those. Their emulation is botched in a lot of places.

Yes, they are.
In addition to today's release,

"We'll be releasing Standard & Collector's Editions of Jak II, Jak 3 and Jak X: Combat Racing by June 2019 (actual release dates may be sooner, but we expect to fulfill all purchases by June 30, 2019). Stay tuned!"

https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...cal-ps4-versions-collectors-edition-releases/
That's nice.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I guess I won't fuss too much over trying to cancel this (even though it was slightly misleading with the "gotta order it now!"ness of it), but I won't be ordering any of the other collection, especially since I can get the PS3 collection for so cheap.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I guess I won't fuss too much over trying to cancel this (even though it was slightly misleading with the "gotta order it now!"ness of it), but I won't be ordering any of the other collection, especially since I can get the PS3 collection for so cheap.

I bet they significantly added to their sales by the surprise nature. Won't be surprised to see more of that shit going forward, but I'll be a lot more careful.

Purchases that people regret will result in fewer customers down the road. I had a Signature purchase that I regretted and don't even give them a look now.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Hmmm I got the LE on a whim... I may consider selling it... Really thought it was at least the remaster :/ I don't like playing with PS2 jaggies if there are other options.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm I got the LE on a whim... I may consider selling it... Really thought it was at least the remaster :/ I don't like playing with PS2 jaggies if there are other options.
PS2 Classics on PS4 look better than the same game played on original hardware. The emulator on PS4 renders PS2 games at a higher resolution and might apply better texture filtering. The games look more detailed/less blurry on a modern TV.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-ps4-playstation2-emulation

When you compare the PS2 Classics Jak with the PS3 remaster, both have some pros and cons. I looked into it recently because Spyro and Astrobot got me back into the Playstation platformer mood. I decided to go with the PS2 Classics version on PSN mainly for convenience. This video has a graphical comparison of the two releases. Doesn't look too bad or jaggy imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bi7JKq4Yvs

All of that is nice, but it's hard not to be critical of Sony's approach to backwards compatibility and game preservation this gen. They have a working PS2 emulator for PS4 that they could just open up to everyone who doesn't want to use hacked firmware. MS have done a stellar job with their back compat effort, just look at the recent FF13 games. Completely free if you own the games while Sony is selling us PS2 isos and 50Hz versions of PS1 games :/

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
PS2 Classics on PS4 look better than the same game played on original hardware. The emulator on PS4 renders PS2 games at a higher resolution and might apply better texture filtering. The games look more detailed/less blurry on a modern TV.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-ps4-playstation2-emulation

When you compare the PS2 Classics Jak with the PS3 remaster, both have some pros and cons. I looked into it recently because Spyro and Astrobot got me back into the Playstation platformer mood. I decided to go with the PS2 Classics version on PSN mainly for convenience. This video has a graphical comparison of the two releases. Doesn't look too bad or jaggy imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bi7JKq4Yvs

All of that is nice, but it's hard not to be critical of Sony's approach to backwards compatibility and game preservation this gen. They have a working PS2 emulator for PS4 that they could just open up to everyone who doesn't want to use hacked firmware. MS have done a stellar job with their back compat effort, just look at the recent FF13 games. Completely free if you own the games while Sony is selling us PS2 isos and 50Hz versions of PS1 games :/

I'll have to look into that later, but ok it might not be so bad then.

Yeah... Sony is kinda cocky this gen with a bunch of stuff I'm not too happy with :/ My SO has even gotten into hardcore XB collecting, due to the backwards compatibility. At this point, I'm more in it for the exclusives, but have been inching more towards Switch for a lot of titles.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I got my preorder of Shantae and the Pirate's Curse Collector's Edition in! Sales opened up like 10 seconds beforehand haha! I'm so happy!

But now I REALLY need to sell my Night Trap Collector's Editions. I'm flat broke.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I just read the PS Blog and I find it highly amusing that by the time that someone discovered that and read the blog, the first batch would have already been sold out. It doesn't seem to advertise them well if you don't give them any heads up to new people. "Oh wow neat, that sounds....oh it's sold out already"

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Rival Megagun is the first announcement from Kinda Funny Games.

Windjammers Switch is the second.

Celeste is third.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
never played celeste, but definitely picking that up.

not a fan of the cover art, wish they went with something like it's icon on switch.

Oct 25, 2017
Just had a gut feeling about Celeste during the past couple weeks. Was going to buy it after The Game Awards but decided to wait. Glad I did! Instincts are correct!

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Good luck to anyone hungover from New Year's Eve that wants the PS4 version. Also, why is it a Tuesday release instead of a Friday one?

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
so PS4 will be limited number stock like usual? why are all switch releases getting limited pre-order releases but PS4 are still on limited number?

Probably one of the conditions Nintendo demanded in order to allow LRG to publish on switch, which is a good thing as the open pre-order system is way much better than having a limited 30 second window before they all sell out or paying double on ebay.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Probably one of the conditions Nintendo demanded in order to allow LRG to publish on switch, which is a good thing as the open pre-order system is way much better than having a limited 30 second window before they all sell out or paying double on ebay.
They said they're open preorders on Switch because the initial test releases did so well as such. Seems like they still do very well with this system.