• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They said they're open preorders on Switch because the initial test releases did so well as such. Seems like they still do very well with this system.

It wouldn't surprise me, ive bought about 15 Switch games from them so far thanks to the open preorder system, I dont even bother with the PS4 or vita stuff as its a complete hassle to make sure im online at the exact time they go up for sale. Also being based in Japan the time difference means I have to stay up late as well.

Semoreh

Oct 28, 2017
France
I already have finished Celeste, but this one I definitely want in my personal collection ! Great, GREAT game, and I sure hope it bodes well for Towerfall <3

I love the art, but am I the only one to see a crazy witch's face from afar ? I need to watch closely to see Madeline ^^

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Probably one of the conditions Nintendo demanded in order to allow LRG to publish on switch, which is a good thing as the open pre-order system is way much better than having a limited 30 second window before they all sell out or paying double on ebay.

They've done open pre-orders for a game with both PS4 and Switch versions before.

Oct 26, 2017

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. For example, Cosmic Star Heroine. Which reminds me that I need to get rid of my sealed PS4 version...

I'm sure their sales data backs up their decision.

when you're competing with nintendo collectors it's a lost cause but they keep mentioning getting attacked from games that are limited and put pre-orders on games like bastion that probably didn't need it but make stuff like Jak & Daxter or Shantae (PS4) limited

i'm not trying to tell them how to run their business but it's just frustrating these releases are announced at most a couple days or even on friday, minutes before they go up and with the way the business model is, it's either have the money to buy the game that day or sacrifice something else you were planning on buying because it's $25 now or $50+ later on from some ebay flipper whereas with switch you have aleast 2 weeks to make the choice and/or get the money from somewhere too

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
when you're competing with nintendo collectors it's a lost cause but they keep mentioning getting attacked from games that are limited and put pre-orders on games like bastion that probably didn't need it but make stuff like Jak & Daxter or Shantae (PS4) limited

i'm not trying to tell them how to run their business but it's just frustrating these releases are announced at most a couple days or even on friday, minutes before they go up and with the way the business model is, it's either have the money to buy the game that day or sacrifice something else you were planning on buying because it's $25 now or $50+ later on from some ebay flipper whereas with switch you have aleast 2 weeks to make the choice and/or get the money from somewhere too

Not LRG's fault. Apparently they were originally supposed to be open pre-order but Sony's legal department insisted on a limited number since they were worried it wasn't going to sell well.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017

Also not fair to use either PS4 Shantae as a comparison. Both of those titles came out in the early days of LRG, and preorders weren't really an option from a business perspective. We're talking about a time when a bad run could've sunk them.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Not LRG's fault. Apparently they were originally supposed to be open pre-order but Sony's legal department insisted on a limited number since they were worried it wasn't going to sell well.

they literally just had a pre-order with Doubleswitch, why would Sony force LRG into making it a limited number instead of risking the pre-order to make it a higher number?

Also not fair to use either PS4 Shantae as a comparison. Both of those titles came out in the early days of LRG, and preorders weren't really an option from a business perspective. We're talking about a time when a bad run could've sunk them.

Shantaes were the same day as Skullgirls

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
Not interested in SIGIL (as much as I love DOOM) but man, props to LimitedRunGames for getting so much shit done in such a short existence. Kind of mindblowing really.

Just give us more Japanese games, please. Please please please.

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
they literally just had a pre-order with Doubleswitch, why would Sony force LRG into making it a limited number instead of risking the pre-order to make it a higher number?

Double Switch isn't a IP owned by Sony though, comparing their legal departments are probably apples & oranges.
Why they chose the number they did, I can't say. Probably being overly cautious is my guess.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
that's how physical PC games came in the 90s which this is probably drawing inspiration from

Yeah I get it, same stuff I already threw away.

I just wish there was a collector's edition with the box and all the stuff, then a standard game. I'm sure Doug would make the same argument that the extra stuff is "free" anyways (ie with the previous soundtrack CD debate) but whatever.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit at Jak and Daxter prices on ebay. Is this the craziest secondary market for any of the LRG releases? Sony screwed this up if they didn't think this was gonna sell.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at Jak and Daxter prices on ebay. Is this the craziest secondary market for any of the LRG releases? Sony screwed this up if they didn't think this was gonna sell.

BMR1rfg.png

lmao

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
I asked them on Twitter but didn't get a response: has there been any update on Spelunky? They announced it at E3 and I haven't seen any mention of it since, have I missed anything?

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone remember with which release the loyalty tickets were first handed out? I'm trying to make sure I got all of them.

Also can we still even use the tickets still?

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone remember with which release the loyalty tickets were first handed out? I'm trying to make sure I got all of them.

Also can we still even use the tickets still?

I had similar questions about this as well. I would assume that the tickets still work, but I guess they're retiring the ticket system. Thankfully I just redeemed my 40 a couple weeks back on Cosmic Star Heroine.

For anyone interested in the math, using the old system, you had to buy 40 games to get a $25 discount (at one point that used to be just a free game, but since they've jumped in price it's $25 off)

Under the new system, not including points you get from accessory activities, you'll have to buy 56.25 games to get the equivalent of a $25 discount. So nearly 50% more.

Still, a discount is a discount. It's not like any other limited run company is doing one.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I had similar questions about this as well. I would assume that the tickets still work, but I guess they're retiring the ticket system. Thankfully I just redeemed my 40 a couple weeks back on Cosmic Star Heroine.

For anyone interested in the math, using the old system, you had to buy 40 games to get a $25 discount (at one point that used to be just a free game, but since they've jumped in price it's $25 off)

Under the new system, not including points you get from accessory activities, you'll have to buy 56.25 games to get the equivalent of a $25 discount. So nearly 50% more.

Still, a discount is a discount. It's not like any other limited run company is doing one.

So do I need to redeem tickets ASAP? I've never done this, could heat my home thru the winter with them at this point.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Except that the new system will give you more points when you buy more expensive games, while the old one gave you one ticket no matter what you bought. And you don't need to pay to send the tickets back to them to redeem the rewards anymore. This is a better system, especially for people outside of the US.
So do I need to redeem tickets ASAP? I've never done this, could heat my home thru the winter with them at this point.
No, they said that tickets will still be valid for the foreseeable future, and that they're looking to introduce another way to use them next year. They just won't included in any upcoming game anymore.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Except that the new system will give you more points when you buy more expensive games, while the old one gave you one ticket no matter what you bought. And you don't need to pay to send the tickets back to them to redeem the rewards anymore. This is a better system, especially for people outside of the US.

56.25 actually assumes a price point of $40 per game (which is rare). At an average $30, it's more like 75 games for the same discount. At $25, it's 90 games. The only way this system would be better is if you bought nothing but CEs at an average price of $60. That works out to $37.5

Last edited:

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up: Rain World got a surprise Switch release today, which means the possibility of a Switch release exists.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
fml i think i may have had maybe half way there worth of a free game, oh well it'd probably get lost in the post trying to send it from the uk

Anyone remember what game was the first game that came with tickets?
i think i got some as early as stranger's wrath, i know for certain i got them with raygigant tho

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Seems Stranger's Wrath is one of the LRG PS3 releases. Great that the HD version gets perserved in actual HD on the big screen but the announced Switch version makes it feel a bit redundant since I'm guessing that one will also get an LRG release.