• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
When it boils down to physical pressings and their respective DLC, I'm willing to wait possibly years in an effort to insure these games are as complete as possible. I take several issues with publishing perspectives where stuff that's being prioritized for physical preservation are titles that still receive technical updates over others that have been finished. There's basically no excuses in regard to Digital Devolver's catalog since Hotline Miami and its sequel, for example, haven't been patched for quite some time yet Messenger has to be punted out right now for whatever reason plus their PS4 release for Enter the Gungeon was already outdated before it landed in our hands. The developers of that game, ironically, announced a string of final updates right around when it went up for sale on Special Reserve's website and the belated and, consequently, 'expanded' Switch release was already being teased by SRG at that point. Everything made all the more frustrating since Reserve has a notably long-winded release schedule that hasn't improved too much over nearly two years compared to other companies. That's made further relevant if you believe the murmurs behind Devolver's partnering with Nighthawk Interactive for a retail treatment for Gungeon on Switch instead of leaning fully on their own publishing branch for it.

If you've been buying for the major niche publishers, like Limited Run and Play Asia, several months or more of waiting in between the initial purchase and delivery are common practice for better or worse. What's holding out for a couple more months going to truly do outside of certain customers being "impatient" when they might receive additional content that's more bang for their buck? In terms of preservation, it's tremendously unfortunate these type of titles suffer from folks unwilling to wait when it's possible this very physical run might be the sole chance of this game ever being conserved in gaming history? If some really detested these delays for the physical game or openly embraced the idea of downloading associated content anyway then they could easily just process the game from their preferred online store to their hard drive as it was originally made available as a digital title. Funnily enough, the exact state of affair that these hard copy businesses were supposed to save us and the work of art from in the first place. I hope developers will opt toward longer physical release plans and offer internal discussions about any future DLC with such publishers in the future so that players and historians will be able to cherish tangible, finalized copies of their beloved video games.

I've been buying from LRG since One Way Heroics, so I'm not unfamiliar with their waits. In fact, I don't usually mind them for the most part. The only one I thought was crazy (and made me glad I didn't buy it) was Pixel Junk 2 since their plan was for them to put it out when all the paid DLC was out so they could bundle it (understandable), but then Q-Games kept making balance updates that pushed it back and back and back before it shipped out last month despite the actual paid DLC being out for a while by that point. I felt that if they sold it later it wouldn't have felt so weird, and that's what I fear from some games since there's no need to delay in order to put something like a minor free update with only so much as a text fix on the cart, rather than something more worth saving like paid DLC or extra content. It's why I'm not fully against the idea of having the new chapter on the cart/disc either, but if it would take too long then it would make sense for them to just put it out since the whole thing is free and quick to download anyhow, instead of a paid DLC schedule where having it in a all-in-one combo deal is good. But who's to say even after this there won't be an update of some kind, that would add even more things or do something like change the soundtrack like with SMB? It's not all easy to get sadly.

People underestimate how long big digital storefronts last and the sheer amount of time they'll be up, giving each console's store a lifespan of 10 years at the minimum due to our digital future. For something super crucial like licensed games (which is why I keep pushing and hoping for The Mummy Demastered to get LRG released since the license is gonna die yet nobody's doing anything) then I fully 100% agree with doing everything to get something saved ASAP as complete as possible, but for something like Celeste it's not going to be delisted anytime soon. Like Super Meat Boy and Retro City Rampage it'll likely be ported to everything and that's pretty much standard. If the majority of PSP titles are alive on the PSN (and you can even buy and redownload stuff to your PSP today in 2019, 14 years after launch), then I seriously doubt the PS4 servers will die in 14 years. Even delisted games can support prior updates (Though NOT paid/free DLC from the online stores, which is why bundling them with a game is ideal) so that's why I don't really get worked up about the whole thing.

I mainly buy LRG stuff to play them either as a complete edition or just to support devs more, or both, and I think the only thing I own that makes me wish they did more was the DARIUSBURST CE which lacks any of the paid DLC since they're damn expensive on PSN and I spent $100 on it to begin with, which is why I'm glad they waited and went for a more complete route with Game Tengoku. It's also why I waited on Guacamelee since I wanted to see if they'd do a physical bundled with the DLC and they are doing that. (Even on Switch, the DLC is still included via a code so I have everything in one spot anyhow) But stuff like having to download an update for Super Meat Boy that just changes the icon isn't a thing I really get bummed or worried about like some people do, and on Switch you can even transfer update data locally meaning that you don't even need the internet to preserve the update files, if in 20-30 years the update servers shut down.

TLDR: I buy these games mainly to enjoy them as is, don't usually mind the wait since it's always worth it, but if it's crazy like PMJ2 which was due to OCD of needing to be the most complete possible despite only planning for paid DLC, then I will get a bit miffed, yes. Of course if they sell an LRG game after it's mostly finished that's the ideal route since there's no need to worry about waiting for a patch to get added or being missed.

The reality is they already got your money. They face charge backs and complains from people getting impatient waiting, but nothing from people who are getting incomplete game. Remember, many people buying a game like Celeste are first time buyer with limited release games. They don't know waiting is the norm.

Again, I'm not a first time buyer. I bought Cosmic Star Heroine's CE and waited until October for it and it came out perfectly. I'm used to waits, but those tend to be usually planned/due to sudden events popping up, not because of having to wait for something that takes 1 minute to download when you put the game in.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this was to be expected since they'd have to delay the games a really long while in order to get it done and I don't think people would want to wait an absurdly long amount of time for the DLC to be put on the disc after they bought the game. That's kinda why I'm hesitant about Celeste's Delay since if the update does launch next month then it would be fine but if it doesn't and then the switch version takes until june to ship then that was just a waste of time when it only takes a few seconds to download from either the internet or another switch. I'm willing to give some leeway on the PS4 one though since those are easier and faster to produce

Sad to hear about the LRG variant though. Seems SRG is kinda screwing over LRG so I may end up going with the former's version of The Messenger when I get paid, since I found it decent enough on Switch and wouldn't mind buying it on PS4.

if they continue to do this in the future i wouldn't mind them putting up 2 seperate listings similar to what they did with that one game that had extra dlc on the disc and let people choose if they want to delay it until it's 100% finished or ship it out with all current dlc/patches

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
if they continue to do this in the future i wouldn't mind them putting up 2 seperate listings similar to what they did with that one game that had extra dlc on the disc and let people choose if they want to delay it until it's 100% finished or ship it out with all current dlc/patches

I'd be fine with this too. I just wonder how doable it is on the business end of things on a consistent enough basis.

Jan 11, 2018
I feel like a massive selling point for companies like LRG is putting definitive editions of games on physical format. If they become like every other publisher and would rather rush to get something out before everything finished then part of the appeal is lost, imo.

Oct 25, 2017
LRG exists for collectors, not preservation, and I don't know why people just don't accept that. I know I harp on this, but Lawbreakers sold out in its weekend, an online only game who's disc was useless before it arrived to customers.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
...Fata Morgana? Feel like I saw roses in the promo art....

Also, wherexs Project LUX? Goes up in 2 days still, right?

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
...Fata Morgana? Feel like I saw roses in the promo art....

Also, wherexs Project LUX? Goes up in 2 days still, right?

Haven't spotted any roses in a Google Image search, although admittedly I haven't played it and don't want to spoil too much on it haha.

Doesn't seem to match any Caligula Effect images either which makes sense. So I'm out of ideas!

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Yeah.

iJVOrxf.jpg

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Some production updates from the LRG page:

Spelunky PS4/Vita are in-hand and will ship soon, KOF Vita is as well.

Bloodstained is currently in manufacturing, shipping dates TBA.

Last edited:

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Just ordered The Messenger but having a tough time ordering Bloodstained from LRG. $6.99 to $29.99 + shipping just seems like a bridge too far. Anyone else feeling that way?

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Ok, nice. I have a coupon to use one it, which should be safe to use. I dared not use it for Bloodstained, when the Vita SE was one of the items I added. Not worth the risk. Not sure how fast the VR games go, but pretty sure I can add it in time...
I think my checkout using a coupon with Vita Bloodstained may have been a touch faster than I normally get through. My coupon was for a Switch case, so I just pre-added it and the coupon to the checkout a minute before Bloodstained went live, then backed out of checkout. Then added Bloodstained, hit checkout, and jumped past one or two checkout steps~ A bit hectic to manage though, because I had to double-check everything and make sure everything stuck.

KB

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if they delayed every game fof updates like Celeste.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone knows when they are going to send the physical copies of Celeste and Windjammers for the switch

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone knows when they are going to send the physical copies of Celeste and Windjammers for the switch
To add to Craig's post, I do know that Windjammers was delayed, as they hadn't received the game as of the 7th March. I believe the plan is to get to it once all the 2018 held orders are finally shipped.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So LRG managed to come through and get me a Shantae copy, making up for the one that got lost by the USPS.
I've been hitting up the post office still, and they just couldn't help me at all with that. At some point, I imagine my old house's mailboxes will be too full.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Got my LUX with the coupon. Didn't sell out immediately, so I had time.

Nothing this Fri for me, but $10 says Apr 5th will be Fata Morgana.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Here's my support story so far:

Feb: I contact them saying my order has never shipped (rabi-ribi).
They reply back saying that are looking into it, and it will ship very soon.

Mar: made a new ticket, basically the same as feb.

I'm about to do it again for Apr. I'm feeling lucky, i'll get it this time.

Also, I was fully intending to buy project lux but I went on a spending spree yesterday on vita games from overseas, so now i'm feeling frugal. This has happened several times, haha.

ThatsMacky

Oct 25, 2017
About how long does an order take to arrive from ordering to delivery? At least a month, right?

edit: Canada

The time that it takes is completely dependent on how far along the manufacturing chain the games are. This could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months unfortunately. Once the game (or games) have arrived at LRG and you get the shipping notification, it usually takes around a week to a week and a half.

If you're wondering about a specific game, take a look at the Production Updates page (https://limitedrungames.com/pages/production-updates ) which may give you an idea when the game may start shipping out.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The time that it takes is completely dependent on how far along the manufacturing chain the games are. This could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months unfortunately. Once the game (or games) have arrived at LRG and you get the shipping notification, it usually takes around a week to a week and a half.
Oh, that's interesting.

Because, you see, I want Fata Morgana and I believe LRG received the Vita carts already.

By that logic if Fata Morgana goes on sale in early April, I might be able to get it quickly.

I'll be moving out of my dorm by May 2nd though so I'll be risking it if it takes too long.

I have another Canadian address I can mail things to, though, so maybe I'll use that

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Limited Run Games will sell the Vita Fata Morgana release before the PS4 version is ready as well. In that case, don't expect to play the game anytime soon.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Missed Lux earlier since I was distracted at work, hopefully I'll be able to grab it later.

Getting no response to my last order combine submission after a couple weeks. I guess I'll open a ticket.

Thought I'd check here first before submitting another combine request since I've had one sitting there for 2 weeks without hearing anything back, looks like I'm not the only one so they must be behind on those. Will give it a few more days and then open a ticket too I guess.

MrHealthy

Nov 11, 2017
My hold orders tracking has updated to Canada Post tracking, but it just says information received. Hopefully I get them next week.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Is there no way to use more than one promo code from the reward redemptions? I redeemed 3 vita protective cases to try to combine with my order today, but the codes just replace each other.