• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I like having all the DLC and content updates on the disc/cart if possible as well, but I buy these games to play, and since even a seemingly complete game can get an update a year or so later if the devs feel like it, there's no telling when a game is considered truly complete. Keep in mind the Switch has a feature where you can transfer update data over local wireless, so it's not like a theoretical server shutdown (which would take eons and is so far off now that there's other things to worry about) would kill said patch forever. It seems pretty silly to be disappointed that minor text fixes aren't on the cart and only take a minute to download as a patch that nobody would miss even if it did get lost. Obviously though, anything that fixes bugs, adds new content or does anything significant even if it's adding a new item should absolutely be included with the game if possible, I don't think anyone's denying that. (Which is why I'm glad that Game Tengoku is an all in one deal)

That sort of stuff is why PJM2 pissed everyone off by taking eons to get shipped since they planned to ship it out after the DLC launched (in August) only to delay it due to a critical balance patch, followed by yet another one due to another patch. If they ended up patching that game with a typo fix tomorrow and it pushed things back by 2-4 months it would just make everyone lose it having to wait more for something that should have been in people's hands last December once the DLC and the balance patches were out.

And when it comes to the whole "preservation" argument, it's funny people say that considering how LRG signs games that are in no danger of being removed while not seeming to do much about the games that are at actual risk of delisting. Mainly Mummy Demastered. Heck, MD is the one I've been waiting on a physical Switch cart for a while and I thought it would be a no brainer considering how the license WILL expire soon, but it seems like it's not happening... I don't mind that they do sign the stuff they do now, since I enjoy getting them and supporting the indies who make the games (and to also save space on my Switch's memory), but I kinda wish that Mummy was out already. Maybe a Pinball FX physical with every current table pre-loaded as well, or one for Zaccaria. It wouldn't be the most complete since they always update but PFX has a bunch of licenses that could go poof in a few years, if the South Park table and TPA's situations are any indication.

I don't think it's silly to expect a game you're paying twice the cost of digital a significant amount of time after its release (and likely after at least one sale) not to receive a patch in between the period of when it's sent to manufacture and when it arrives. As a customer, it just feels like poor planning. Especially for something like Celeste, which is adding significant DLC to the game.

Of course, if they find something 6 months after the fact, by all means, patch it. I'm not a crazy man. But if a game has been out for a while I have a certain expectation that it's not going to require a patch as soon as I pop it in. Most indie games get a couple patches and they're done.

I'm still holding out hope Mummy Demastered gets a physical release, along with Blaster Master Zero. Those are probably my most anticipated physical releases.

This is far far worse for preservation.
Switch games and updates are a nightmare. If the cart sees any updates, it will forever require those updates. So if the servers eventually go offline, and you don't have the update because you just bought the game used, or had your memory card randomly fail, or foolishly deleted the update to save some space, then the game will basically be bricked.

Edit: Please note. This is hearsay. I haven't tested this issue myself, I've left all my carts in a un-updated virgin state. But I've heard it from several places, so it's most likely true.

I don't think that's quite true. You get a notification there's a patch available, but you can still run the game.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's silly to expect a game you're paying twice the cost of digital a significant amount of time after its release (and likely after at least one sale) not to receive a patch in between the period of when it's sent to manufacture and when it arrives. As a customer, it just feels like poor planning. Especially for something like Celeste, which is adding significant DLC to the game.

Of course, if they find something 6 months after the fact, by all means, patch it. I'm not a crazy man. But if a game has been out for a while I have a certain expectation that it's not going to require a patch as soon as I pop it in. Most indie games get a couple patches and they're done.

I'm still holding out hope Mummy Demastered gets a physical release, along with Blaster Master Zero. Those are probably my most anticipated physical releases.

I don't think that's quite true. You get a notification there's a patch available, but you can still run the game.

Sadly I've read Josh on Twitter enough to know that it's no longer one of their high profile concerns. It's secondary to getting a game shipped quickly. I just wish they were more transparent about it.. but given that we're lucky if they update the release calendar, I don't see that happening.

It's the primary reason that I no longer hold LRG's releases in high regard, but they don't care as long as they sell out on Fridays. If I wanted to download my games the Steam release is usually $5 for the typical LRG release if you pay attention.

Oct 27, 2017
This is far far worse for preservation.
Switch games and updates are a nightmare. If the cart sees any updates, it will forever require those updates. So if the servers eventually go offline, and you don't have the update because you just bought the game used, or had your memory card randomly fail, or foolishly deleted the update to save some space, then the game will basically be bricked.

Edit: Please note. This is hearsay. I haven't tested this issue myself, I've left all my carts in a un-updated virgin state. But I've heard it from several places, so it's most likely true.
Switch carts are read only. You can't write any data to them. Whoever told you that is lying. If your save is based on an updated version of the game, then you need that update to be able to load your save. You could just use a fresh save and have the game work.

We had a thread about this on Era iirc.

Oct 27, 2017

Not interested personally but good for those who have been waiting for this!

So awesome. This might be the first thing I'll shoot for a CE for myself (I usually try for the little brother)

LimitedRunGames , I just gotta ask. I want to buy both versions of TJ&E 4 with the CEs being top priority, but definitely want standard versions to play. Is that a chance Best Buy's getting the Standard versions at a later date? I need to plan so my wallet doesn't totally break.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Mercenary Kings isn't coming to the Vita anymore. The upcoming games list has been updated, removing Vita from YIIK, Nuclear Throne and Mercenary Kings. Sharin no Kuni is still listed for the Vita, though.

I wonder why Mercenary Kings didn't make the cutoff. Game has been up on PSN for Vita since last year?

No surprise about Nuclear Throne and YIIK. Kinda surprised Nuclear Throne is still happening at all, considering it was one of the first LRG titles to be announced and Rami has said barely anything for it since then.

Interesting about Sharin no Kuni though.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting about Sharin no Kuni though.

Just checked the KS page, since it looks like they came to answer some questions about physical Vita:

Per our last discussion with Frontwing there should not be any issues for the Vita as of now.

So then... what was up with the Discord? Did they make the cart cut off, but then Frontwing said no, but then yes? Confusing... they definately should make an update.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why are we jumping from 26 to 29? It means we'll have two more limited runs which will end before March 30th? Do we have any idea which they are? Super Meat Boy and another one right?

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Just checked the KS page, since it looks like they came to answer some questions about physical Vita:

So then... what was up with the Discord? Did they make the cart cut off, but then Frontwing said no, but then yes? Confusing... they definately should make an update.

Hmm, how bizarre. Hope it happens!

Nice to see PS3 opened up.

What an awesome game to be the first PS3 release. Already own the Vita version, but very happy to see Oddworld get another physical!

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately we had a major miscommunication on Limited Run's end (nothing to do with Zeboyd) and the patch didn't make it onto the cart. The version numbers are the same between digital and physical.

There is still going to be one more patch fixing minor and rare issues coming. Again we're really sorry we messed this up, luckily both patches fix relatively minor issues.

In case anyone was interested in CSH patch info.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Cool to see the PS3 floodgates open up. Already got the Vita version but might grab the PS3 one considering I'm expecting only very specific games to get the treatment, making it easier to get a full collection.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017

As a non-full-set collector, I'd much rather they cancel the bonus game and allocate the carts to one of these two titles instead, but :(

Also, reason for the Mercenary Kings & Nuclear Throne Vita cancellations:

On the one hand, good shout on Nuclear Throne, but I didn't realise Mercenary Kings was bad enough that it needed patching? They've released plenty of other Vita games without patches on the cart iirc (Ys Origin for example).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
On the one hand, good shout on Nuclear Throne, but I didn't realise Mercenary Kings was bad enough that it needed patching? They've released plenty of other Vita games without patches on the cart iirc (Ys Origin for example).

I wouldn't even consider the patch for Ys Origin to be that bad (it was only a few hundred kbs). Phantom Breaker (100mbs) and CSH (740mbs) were though.

Jan 22, 2018
If given the option between having the chance to buy unpatched Nuclear Throne and Merc Kings on vita VS nothing, ill take the unpatched cart

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
looks like when they refunded $3 for the golf story coupon for my already ordered order, a miscommunication happened and i guess someone thought it was fully refunded or whatever and never shipped it. support is looking into it, so i think i'm good.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Yes LRG once said they were going for complete preservation but they backed off of that a long time ago. Pretty sure Josh posted about that here or the other site long ago about it not being feasible all the time.

Especially with Vita which require games to be rebuilt and recertified by Sony if you want the games patched. PS4 doesn't have this requirement.

If given the option between having the chance to buy unpatched Nuclear Throne and Merc Kings on vita VS nothing, ill take the unpatched cart

Me too. 95%+ of my physical games from PS3 till now need a patch.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I like having all the DLC and content updates on the disc/cart if possible as well, but I buy these games to play, and since even a seemingly complete game can get an update a year or so later if the devs feel like it, there's no telling when a game is considered truly complete. Keep in mind the Switch has a feature where you can transfer update data over local wireless, so it's not like a theoretical server shutdown (which would take eons and is so far off now that there's other things to worry about) would kill said patch forever. It seems pretty silly to be disappointed that minor text fixes aren't on the cart and only take a minute to download as a patch that nobody would miss even if it did get lost. Obviously though, anything that fixes bugs, adds new content or does anything significant even if it's adding a new item should absolutely be included with the game if possible, I don't think anyone's denying that. (Which is why I'm glad that Game Tengoku is an all in one deal)

That sort of stuff is why PJM2 pissed everyone off by taking eons to get shipped since they planned to ship it out after the DLC launched (in August) only to delay it due to a critical balance patch, followed by yet another one due to another patch. If they ended up patching that game with a typo fix tomorrow and it pushed things back by 2-4 months it would just make everyone lose it having to wait more for something that should have been in people's hands last December once the DLC and the balance patches were out.

And when it comes to the whole "preservation" argument, it's funny people say that considering how LRG signs games that are in no danger of being removed while not seeming to do much about the games that are at actual risk of delisting. Mainly Mummy Demastered. Heck, MD is the one I've been waiting on a physical Switch cart for a while and I thought it would be a no brainer considering how the license WILL expire soon, but it seems like it's not happening... I don't mind that they do sign the stuff they do now, since I enjoy getting them and supporting the indies who make the games (and to also save space on my Switch's memory), but I kinda wish that Mummy was out already. Maybe a Pinball FX physical with every current table pre-loaded as well, or one for Zaccaria. It wouldn't be the most complete since they always update but PFX has a bunch of licenses that could go poof in a few years, if the South Park table and TPA's situations are any indication.

The Mummy Remastered is endangered of being delisted soon? Can the same be said for The Huntsman: Winter's Curse?

Meleina

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question regarding combined shipping for international buyers. I've never tried combining before but the new system indicates that there needs to at least be one item in each order that's in manufacturing. I would like to combine three orders. One has Battle Chef Brigade CE, one with Iconoclasts and one with Light Tracer. I was wondering if that would that be okay? The product manufacturing updates site doesn't indicate that Battle Chef Brigade is in "manufacturing" but it's not exactly ready yet either.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
I have a question regarding combined shipping for international buyers. I've never tried combining before but the new system indicates that there needs to at least be one item in each order that's in manufacturing. I would like to combine three orders. One has Battle Chef Brigade CE, one with Iconoclasts and one with Light Tracer. I was wondering if that would that be okay? The product manufacturing updates site doesn't indicate that Battle Chef Brigade is in "manufacturing" but it's not exactly ready yet either.
Just fire it off. Worst that happens is they say no, and you don't get your partial refund.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
It's been about two weeks since I sent a combine request. Does it usually take this long or should I send another one?

mattysaurus

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, after years of waiting and two different physical purchases, I finally played and beat Cosmic Star Heroine. Ultimately, it wasn't as good as I'd hope it'd be. The first several hours were pretty fun, but after that it devolved into a flurry of random dungeons and party members that are only relevant around the time they're introduced. The battle system also seems to get bogged down by its own machinations about halfway through the game; I felt like my only two options were to cheese enemies or spend 5 minutes in each battle chiseling away at their health, a reverse from Cthulu Saves the World, where the focus was to beat the enemy ASAP.

On the plus side, the art design and music were great. I know everyone compares this game to Chrono Trigger, but it reminds me just as much of something that could've come out on the Sega CD, complete with old school FMVs. It's just a shame that the plot never really came together in any meaningful way, and the overabundance of party members paired with a near-complete lack of character development was noticeable. It makes me even more impressed that similarly short rpgs like Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger, and Suikoden accomplished so much in about 20 hours.

One more thing: game is still decently buggy. I had one lockup in battle, as well as several times when menu information straight up disappeared. Don't know if it's specific to the Switch version, but it happened enough that it made the game feel pretty rough around the edges despite the significant amount of time Zeboyd spent patching over the last two years.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath standard edition is 4000 copies and collector's edition is 2500 copies. I really hope they manage to sell all those copies, because even if that was a PS4 release, that sounds like way too many copies.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
It's been about two weeks since I sent a combine request. Does it usually take this long or should I send another one?
On Twitter they said it shouldn't so sent them a DM there and they did both my combine requests right away.
Also fixed my points because it will screw that up so take note of how many you have.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With the new rewards system being scrapped I'm favor of a new model, does anyone know if what we've accumulated so far on the outgoing system will count for the upcoming new system, or did we just get completely screwed? I have an email from support just before there upcoming system was announced promising that they'll "transfer my total" to the new system, but now that it appears to be a schedule bases system like the old Club Nintendo, I'm worried that I'm going to end up with nothing at the end.