• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Celeste has been in production long enough for me to regret getting the PS4 version over the Switch version.

Could always just pick one up later.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017

We're proud to partner with
@NBCF
@SEGA
&
@InnexInc
to create these exclusive pink #SEGA controllers for #BreastCancerAwarenessMonth. 10% of your purchase is donated to NBCF to help provide & inspire hope to those affected by breast cancer.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/official-sega-saturn-pink-usb-controller
These are made by Retrobit and should be the same as the ones they are already selling but in pink and with the GamePink logo.
They are releasing Genesis 8-button controllers and Saturn Controllers. Both have a USB version and another one compatible with their original consoles.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017

We're proud to partner with
@NBCF
@SEGA
&
@InnexInc
to create these exclusive pink #SEGA controllers for #BreastCancerAwarenessMonth. 10% of your purchase is donated to NBCF to help provide & inspire hope to those affected by breast cancer.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/official-sega-saturn-pink-usb-controller
These are made by Retrobit and should be the same as the ones they are already selling but in pink and with the GamePink logo.
They are releasing Genesis 8-button controllers and Saturn Controllers. Both have a USB version and another one compatible with their original consoles.

Good d-pad?

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Apparently nigh identical to legit Saturn pads. Just take a look at the Amazon reviews:

Oh, that's new. Apparently after a month or 2 of use people are snapping their d-pads.
*sighs* Retro-bit continues to be trash. They tricked countless people with this, I was planning on grabbing several controllers from this "official" line but luckily hadn't gotten to it yet...

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently nigh identical to legit Saturn pads. Just take a look at the Amazon reviews:

Oh, that's new. Apparently after a month or 2 of use people are snapping their d-pads.
*sighs* Retro-bit continues to be trash. They tricked countless people with this, I was planning on grabbing several controllers from this "official" line but luckily hadn't gotten to it yet...
Thats for model 1. The new model shouldn't have that problem

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
Thats for model 1. The new model shouldn't have that problem
And how would anybody discern which model they have?
I'm not sure why you'd believe what Retrobit says, to date, they've never made anything of quality. The reason people trusted these is they had Sega's approval. Yet here we have broken controllers, and the Genesis Mini shipped with broken controllers too (no idea who actually made those though).

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017

Battle Princess Madelyn is getting a physical release. If I understand correctly, the Switch version is the "Royal Edition" that is a director's cut of the arcade mode and it doesn't have a story mode. The PS4 version is the same as original Switch version with arcade and story mode but different from the "Royal Edition".

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver

Battle Princess Madelyn is getting a physical release. If I understand correctly, the Switch version is the "Royal Edition" that is a director's cut of the arcade mode and it doesn't have a story mode. The PS4 version is the same as original Switch version with arcade and story mode but different from the "Royal Edition".

Err, so the "Royal Edition" has less content? That's good for me I guess, I Kickstarted this and I don't think the Switch version was available through that (maybe they had options at some point, but fuck the hundreds of development updates I've gotten for backing a couple Kickstarter's).

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

I'm confused. We still don't have our Kickstarter backer copies, right? I lose track of this stuff.

But the Switch version is different here.. weird.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Err, so the "Royal Edition" has less content? That's good for me I guess, I Kickstarted this and I don't think the Switch version was available through that (maybe they had options at some point, but fuck the hundreds of development updates I've gotten for backing a couple Kickstarter's).
I'm confused. We still don't have our Kickstarter backer copies, right? I lose track of this stuff.

They explain the changes in this blog post: https://limitedrungames.com/blogs/news/battle-princess-madelyn-gets-a-limited-run-for-the-ps4-switch

" So in short, Royal Edition is a directors cut of arcade mode. It's a few levels longer and much more diverse than the original game's arcade mode with many changes to the play style. 10 Levels of Action 11 bosses to fight including 3 of them being completely new. "

The Royal Edition is basically a different game, exclusive to Switch for the time being, and KS backers won't get it.
There is a Japanese physical release on Switch of the original version that should be the same as the PS4 version that LRG is releasing.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017

I was hoping both versions would be two week open preorder, and not just Switch.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver

Weird indeed. I just read a backer update that just popped into my inbox. I have various negative opinions of this all, but whatever. I found this useful bit of info:
The LRG backer version with all the goodies will be shipped out before the pre order versions of Switch and PS4.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I guess I dodged a bullet because I backed the PS4 copy and I like "pointless fetch quests" and "story modes".

Now what I'd REALLY like to hear is that the PS4 physical copy has ALL the patches burned-in, because I hear there were quite a few.

RoaringMdog

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
They're really taking their time shipping out River City Girls for the ps4. First it was planned for the end of september/beginning of this month and now they're barely shipping out the switch versions :I Wish they were a bit more open about stuff, especially on the website.

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's interesting, and includes LEs, too. I doubt IF will ever say why, but I am curious! I don't see Iffy's Store lasting long now, and that's a shame.

my guess is they're games do pretty well digitally and they can put out a physical copy without worrying about a bunch of junk being leftober.

NISA still runs their own store but all their limited editions are all pretty dang limited these days.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
my guess is they're games do pretty well digitally and they can put out a physical copy without worrying about a bunch of junk being leftober.

NISA still runs their own store but all their limited editions are all pretty dang limited these days.

Yeah IF prob took a loss on their leftovers. Some been sitting there a while. Only the first Neptune games they put out, did they sell out immediately.

NISA is a little different, since they are like LRG and helping out as a storefront. I'm glad that after Gust went to Koei-Tecmo, that NISA was able to sell their LEs again. As long as someone is giving the option to sell these, then at least the option is there. It's nice to see LRG being a similar storefront, and selling for other publishers.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else waiting on Rivercity Girls, Luminous Avenger iX, or Timespinner physicals? Should I expect these to ship in november?

Also, were Va11-hala and Cuphead still getting a Limited Run release for Switch?

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
EvilGizmo the LRG website has been giving me trouble this morning. Both from my Android phone and latest Chrome on PC. When checking out, it says a text has been sent, but I don't receive any text. Seems like I can just bypass that prompt with the X and continue anyway. Then when attempting to pay, I had to refresh multiple times for it to finally show the credit card details iframe. Luckily the order went in without issue at that point. But if this was for a time-sensitive purchase I'd be PISSED.

Anyone else waiting on Rivercity Girls, Luminous Avenger iX, or Timespinner physicals? Should I expect these to ship in november?

Also, were Va11-hala and Cuphead still getting a Limited Run release for Switch?

Everyone is waiting on these I believe. Check your order, they have added a neat status column for each item.

Those games were hinted at but never fully confirmed I believe. I want to say VA-11 Hall-A's Japanese release has English support (at least one reviewer confirms)

Last edited:

EvilGizmo

Nov 14, 2017
EvilGizmo the LRG website has been giving me trouble this morning. Both from my Android phone and latest Chrome on PC. When checking out, it says a text has been sent, but I don't receive any text. Seems like I can just bypass that prompt with the X and continue anyway. Then when attempting to pay, I had to refresh multiple times for it to finally show the credit card details iframe. Luckily the order went in without issue at that point. But if this was for a time-sensitive purchase I'd be PISSED.

Everyone is waiting on these I believe. Check your order, they have added a neat status column for each item.

Those games were hinted at but never fully confirmed I believe. I want to say VA-11 Hall-A's Japanese release has English support (at least one reviewer confirms)

It sounds like you're using the Shopify QuickPay feature (where they send you a code via text), unfortunately we have no access to that apps backend, it's purely shopify. Their support team might be able to help get it straightened out or removed so that you can re-enable it though.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I missed out on Battle Princess Madelyn for PS4 both times today. Granted, I was late to the party by about 10 minutes each time but damn. I noticed a note that said something about orders over 30 units.....are they seriously letting people order that many? They used to note things like "1 per order" or "2 per order" so this was the first time I'd seen this. That can't be right, can it? For a game getting a total run of 1,500 units?

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I missed out on Battle Princess Madelyn for PS4 both times today. Granted, I was late to the party by about 10 minutes each time but damn. I noticed a note that said something about orders over 30 units.....are they seriously letting people order that many? They used to note things like "1 per order" or "2 per order" so this was the first time I'd seen this. That can't be right, can it? For a game getting a total run of 1,500 units?

Possibility: They were probably worried about PS4 copies sitting to long when Switch is an option on top of being a preorder.

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
And yet, Costume Quest 2 sits. Sure it has twice as many copies, but it's a far more popular title than BPM. Sometimes the demand doesn't make a lot of sense.
I'm thinking the rush on the PS4 BPM is because the Switch version is some screwy half release.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
And yet, Costume Quest 2 sits. Sure it has twice as many copies, but it's a far more popular title than BPM. Sometimes the demand doesn't make a lot of sense.
I'm thinking the rush on the PS4 BPM is because the Switch version is some screwy half release.
i thought the switch version was supposed to be superior and the PS4 version was barebones? i know in the replies to the LRG tweet the other day the dev said he would probably try and port it to PS4 in the future

ragnar14

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
i thought the switch version was supposed to be superior and the PS4 version was barebones? i know in the replies to the LRG tweet the other day the dev said he would probably try and port it to PS4 in the future
A project update was sent out explaining it to Kickstarter backers. I did not read the entire thing... But my TLDR impression is that the dev didn't like all the extra features that were added to the game due to the Kickstarter, so he made a "director's cut", that removed everything except an arcade mode, and that mode has been tweaked around deleting useless add-in's. So the Switch version is less than half the PS4 version...?

Feel free to read this wall of text and tell me I'm wrong:
Hey guys,

Lots to update you on.

First we'll talk about Vita. I've been talking to several developers about getting it running better on Vita and they have all said the same thing "it needs to be reprogrammed". So I'm stepping up to fix the game myself - though I had very little to do with the programming of the game until the middle of last year (I started bug fixing) I no longer have the lead developer as he left in May so there is no choice. Luckily I should be able to do it:

I've started on a new game - totally solo and separate from CBG. One I showed off as a prototype way back when this kickstarter was live. Within a month I've already successfully written the platformer code, split screen, co-op... enemy ai, you name it. I'll be showing that off in November! But that's beside the point. I was getting ready to pull the plug on Vita when I decided to see if the new engine I was coding myself would run on Vita.

It does - at 60fps!!!

So then I thought, maybe I can fix this myself. So over the next few months I'll be converting the player scripts, main game scripts and the enemy AI scripts over from my new game and into BPM. So please bare with me as I do this - I already have a lot on my plate since I'm doing everything else myself. Of course if you don't want to wait you can request a code for another system or a refund. How long will it take? Not sure. The original code is a bit of a mess. I have to dissect what is needed from the old code and transfer it into my own new scripts and there is a lot of interaction between tons of scripts and the player especially, so it's not going to be an easy task. First I'm going to just make sure the player object itself works the same and then start separating things from there.

***NEXT***

People are asking where the physicals are. They are coming. We have been assured they will be sent out before the pre ordered versions go out. Which was just announced today by LRG.

***AND NOW....***

WHAT IS ROYAL EDITION?!? AND CAN I HAVE IT INSTEAD OF THE REGULAR VERSION?!?

First off - I did Royal Edition on my own time, alone (aside of audio/design/testing). I wanted a version that was closer to my vision of the game before there was talk of CMA or Kickstarter Funding at all - just me and Maddi working on the game. If you may recall the original kickstarter design had both modes of the game played in the same levels. But I ended up needing way more room for NPCS and their quests. But before that it was just a flat out arcade game with minor dialog - the prototype I was making with Maddi originally. There were only a few things missing from the prototype but they were ditched for design reasons while working on the actual game. Being able to carry only two weapons is pointless when you have a whole inventory of things for example. So that was never added to the final hud or coded.

Anyhow - this has nothing to do with me hating the game or "oh you just gave us the beta"... This game (the one you backed)is what the Kickstarter is supposed to be. It's just not what I wanted it to be originally. The PS4 Version that LRG is doing is the Kickstarter version, which they'll be sending you with different artwork.

The Royal Edition exists because:

A) I wanted to see what my version of the game would have been like.

B)I can code the additional bits for Switch myself and there are no extra hoops to jump through with controllers, users profiles, rich presence, and achievements - this was all done out of house for ps4 and xbox one. And it costs a lot of money to have people code for you. I did the Royal Edition with my own time and my own money.

C) Aside of physical (and japan version in general) I've had to do all of the digital publishing stuff on my own and it is A LOT of work. Nintendo is the easiest one to deal with as well.

Here is the official statement I did for LRG:

"Part way through development, it became clear that the game was straying from it's originally intended roots. The game was intended to be Story Mode and Arcade mode in the same level set. But with all of the added extras of the Kickstarter and story additions added to appease the CMF funding we never ended up getting, the levels needed to be made much bigger and the flow no longer worked for the arcade. It became more "fetch quest" and less of an action adventure game that was originally designed, this was due to accommodating all of the backer NPCs. We continued on this path and I separated the Levels into two sets: One designed for story mode - the original levels and one designed just for arcade mode. And while we were happy with the way the game turned out in the long run - it wasn't the game *I* had originally set out to make. So I pulled out my old designs from before Kickstarter and CMA funding application, which required us to alter and add certain story bits to meet their criteria for submission. I began to change things to be the way they were before either mode existed and more like my prototype. My partner/lead developer of CBG had also left at the time to pursue another career, therefore I had personally reprogrammed a lot of different things for this version of the game. You'll see the movement for skeletons resembles the movement of my prototype as it was originally intended. Little things such as this will have changed as well.

The long winded story mode was cut completely. This was never meant to last more than two hours, but you could easily spend 10 in it if you wanted to for story mode. I redesigned all of the arcade levels from scratch working with a few other designers to make sure I got it greatly fine tuned. I've also added new art, new enemies and bosses, and even had Gryzor87 to whip up some new tunes. I truly went to town on a full arcade experience. Cutting the in game dialog out completely but keeping the opening and ending cinematics intact. The King Daddy mode has also been polished for the more veteran player and you'll have to complete the game twice to get his ending!

The controls have changed - Fritzy becomes your sword. The sword is now an auto Melee attack when an enemy gets too close to the player, and pressing down and attack when above an enemy will always pogo now.

The player has two weapons in a similar fashion to Contra (in Maddi mode only) so you can change up your play style for bosses. Lobbed weapons are more powerful and straight throw weapons have better range but not as much power. Having one of each when you get to a boss fight is always the best way to go!

The game is also now in 4:3 mode with a few wallpapers to select from. One of them being Madelyn's original art for boss fight and enemy designs. I decided to go with this mode as a lot of people have been making mini arcade machines out of their switches to play the game and the smaller screen gives it a much more authentic feel and doesn't take away from the game at all.

So in short, Royal Edition is a director's cut of arcade mode. It's a few levels longer and much more diverse than the original game's arcade mode with many changes to the play style. 10 Levels of Action 11 bosses to fight including 3 of them being completely new.

Like an original arcade game - it's short but very challenging. The way it should be. Seasoned players will find all of the purposeful speed run short-cuts in the game, while new players will find the controls and movement much more forgiving than the original.

King Daddy mode is double the length but no throwable weapons to up the challenge. He also has no armor - just pants, so he takes less hits than Maddi. Using his pogo ability will find you making your way through the game with far more ease!

Madelyn and I are very proud of this Nintendo Switch exclusive of the game and we're very happy that Limited Run has given us a chance to show it off!"

The long winded bit is referring to all of the NPC dialog. This is what reviewers referred to as "the pointless fetch quests". I don't mind them and you don't have to do them. But a lot of non backers didn't like it. But I had some personal emails sent to me about "please please please don't put us all in one room in a bar or something." So I gave in and wrote dialog and made objects for you to collect so Maddi would directly interact with you in the game instead of just "hello my name is XXX". And I didn't mind doing any of it at all and I thought it was a nice personal touch. I love the original game the way it is.

People are asking if I can do this Royal Edition as an update. That is impossible as I rewrote parts of the game. The controls are partially rewritten, bits of the camera, at least 60-70% of the savegame code, The hud has changed, Fritzy is your melee weapon permanently so you can't get those melee weapons that were in the original game - this changes the Fritzy code. The chomp was removed too in favor of the sword. Power ups have been changed etc etc. Bits of the loading have been changed too. All of these changes will completely wreck story mode and the original engine overall.

So Royal Edition is by design a simple arcade game and not the game you backed. The original game is exactly the game that was intended for Kickstarter. You did not get "our beta", you were not "our beta testers". The kickstarter game was designed for the kickstarter in the long run. And I do wholeheartedly apologize for the bugs when the game launched.

Since there were no Switch physicals offered we can't simply switch you over as they cost more than PS4 and PC to produce. When I set a date for digital sales I will look into getting a discount code just for backers - but Switch keys are not free for us. This is something I found out the hard way after we had done the Kickstarter - we do have to pay for them.

It's also been almost a year since the original game came out. We're at about 10 months now I believe. And we've done tons of bug fixes and updates to make the game better. And with the lead developer gone, It's just me.

So to sum it up:

- I'm still working on the Vita version, which won't even remotely pay for itself at this point but I want to see it through and it will require heavy reprogramming of the player and AI. I am using my own solo project code to reprogram the bad code in BPM for Vita. I'm also extremely bummed about the Wii U version but the final Unity update for Wii U broke the game.

- I'm still making sure everything for Kickstarter is getting done, and it is!

- The LRG backer version with all the goodies will be shipped out before the pre order versions of Switch and PS4.

- The Royal Edition is an Alternate Edition of Arcade Mode Only, there is no story mode. It was made solely on my time and my dime. It is only coming out on Switch for now because there is no magic porting button and our PS4/XB1 ports were done out of house (I can code the extra bits for switch). It probably won't come out on PC because the original was pirated a little too much. Aside of the boss fights (with the exception of 3 new ones) and the opening and ending sequences and fonts, things have changed a lot. It is its own game. Not better, not worse - just a lot of my original designs implemented that were cut for CMF or Kickstarter. It's just different. Nothing to get offended over! No one is forcing you to buy it. And again it's different from the original - not better or worse.

I will think about doing Royal Edition for PS4 but it will require bringing someone in to code the achievements again and make sure all of the extra PS4 bits are intact as I was solely focused on Switch and may have wiped something out redoing old code. So if there is demand for it I'll see what I can do.

As for timelines - don't ask. I've literally had one decent break in 5 years (2 weeks this summer!). I've worked almost every holiday to get this stuff done and I am beyond burnt out. I've still been doing patches etc for PS4 so the disc could be finalized while doing the new version of the game, while doing all of the digital publishing work alone. All of this, while getting through the crazy hoops to get PS4 EU completed as well. And old bugs thought fixed in the original game because there was no way to trigger them anymore were exposed while doing the Royal Edition, so I've been fixing those bugs as they come along on top of it all. Then there is coding my new game on my own :) while also designing the layouts for the boxes for all of the NA physical versions because I really enjoy doing that stuff, and did a few other surprises.

My days are insane most of the time. And I have a three year old I've barely seen since she was born because I've been locked to my pc working. So I will be slowing down a little bit :)

Limited Run Games has been awesome to us too! I've been working closely with them to get the new version of the game out as well as the PC and PS4 originals for backers. And they've been helping with and handling every aspect of not only the PS4 Physical copies but also the Switch one. So thank you guys for not giving up on us when a lot of other people did. And I will of course never stop praising Gryzor87! His work ethic and talent are beyond godly!

If you are interested in my my solo projects you can follow me on Twitter here:

And on that note - I'm going to check on the Canadian Elections because I've been sitting here typing and editing this update for a few hours now.

- Chris

Jan 11, 2018
The one thing that makes the Royal Edition seem less appealing than the Kickstarter Edition to me is the lack of widescreen support. I'm guessing it won't happen, but just having the option to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 for the Royal Edition would make a lot more attractive in my eyes.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
Zw7UkmI.jpg

Finally!

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
A project update was sent out explaining it to Kickstarter backers. I did not read the entire thing... But my TLDR impression is that the dev didn't like all the extra features that were added to the game due to the Kickstarter, so he made a "director's cut", that removed everything except an arcade mode, and that mode has been tweaked around deleting useless add-in's. So the Switch version is less than half the PS4 version...?

Feel free to read this wall of text and tell me I'm wrong:

Royal edition sounds way better. I dropped the game when it came out because it was an aimless, bloated game that just wasn't fun after a couple hours of constantly not knowing where to go. This sounds much more focused and fun. Can't wait to try it out.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Royal edition sounds way better. I dropped the game when it came out because it was an aimless, bloated game that just wasn't fun after a couple hours of constantly not knowing where to go. This sounds much more focused and fun. Can't wait to try it out.

Sounds like the main game is (another) one I should not have Kickstarted.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Honestly I've gotten so many updates on the KS that I no longer care and will probably never play it anyways. I'm done with KS (not b/c of this one).

I can imagine. Didn't back it but yeah I feel you on that in general. Only game I ever backed was the failed kickstarter for the Eternal Darkness sequel years ago. I was done after that bs.