• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I preordered months in advance of Japanese release, my price was οΏ₯13,936.

That's about $128 given current exchange rates. So yes, around $130 was the pre-sale price.
Cheers πŸ‘

Now to talk myself outta the stands and matching stick before the SO has my head.

Huh? Look at above comments about price comparisons.
Thought I did? It's on sale and your article stated a different price so I was curious.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
The funny thing is it's cheaper and quicker to get this from Amazon Japan right now. Nobody should really care about this unless you need the English box.

It's $115 shipped from Amazon.co.jp where as LRG is $130 + tax + shipping.

Can't be stressed enough, the LRG tax is ridiculous. It's more apparent with these releases that are exactly the same as international versions because I will end up spending less money to import a boxed version of KOF2002 with built-in English than being stuck pre-ordering the LRG US release

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
It's also LRG who seem to earn money on interest from preorders (partial joke?), so who knows how long these orders will sit before they ship.

Meanwhile Amazon JP will get this to you via DHL in 2 days almost anywhere in the world. For like $15.

Don't pay for a box.
Nah guaranteed they gain interest on those dollars that are held for 6 months before order come.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Can't be stressed enough, the LRG tax is ridiculous. It's more apparent with these releases that are exactly the same as international versions because I will end up spending less money to import a boxed version of KOF2002 with built-in English than being stuck pre-ordering the LRG US release
Went to check if this was an AES cart and am trying to make sense of this:

This release is not a part of the Limited Run Games Collection and is not a numbered release. We are distributing this title on behalf of SNK CORPORATION. Missing out on this release will not compromise a complete Limited Run set.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Went to check if this was an AES cart and am trying to make sense of this:
That just means they're simply the storefront, it's not their own release. They offer many titles that are not part of the numbered Limited Run Games collection. There are people who collect all of the numbered spines, and it is telling them not to worry if they miss out (or aren't interested) as it won't compromise their collection.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Europe getting one too, by another distributor. English version games as well.

Last edited:

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Are they translating Tant-R ?
Edit:

Seems like it. It's on the list of games:

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars (with Stella)
Alien Storm
Alien Syndrome
Altered Beast
Arabian Fight
Bonanza Bros.
Columns
Columns II
Cotton
Crack Down
Cyber Police ESWAT
Dark Edge
Dottori Kun (Dot Race)
Fantasy Zone
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder
My Hero
Puyo Puyo
Puyo Puyo 2
Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
Rad Mobile
Quartet 2
Scramble Spirits
Sega Ninja
Shadow Dancer
Shinobi
Sonic Boom
Space Harrier
Stack Columns
Thunder Force AC
Virtua Fighter
Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'd order this if it weren't a surefire shitshow to try and get 1 of 3500. I get to some extent why this would need to be limited but that's TOO limited to bother for me.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
How "mini" is this? I mean is it reasonably playable or truly a tiny piece of kit?
Qo7LL_boI3FsPBb45aRsoCo3L9tMcOGNeKuxYe-DWBSqTdys147ZVpmjz3RfstdkYDQN_NNP7WBhZuWDPD3caE6lm936jLStrGGN4hDnQRnZXJP9dPU0Ns74

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
That just means they're simply the storefront, it's not their own release. They offer many titles that are not part of the numbered Limited Run Games collection. There are people who collect all of the numbered spines, and it is telling them not to worry if they miss out (or aren't interested) as it won't compromise their collection.
Appreciate. I was sketched by the idea that 1) there are enough people doing that to address directly, and 2) they're being given reassurance/permission to go ahead and skip this one.

How are you liking your Mini? Did you get the accessories, as well?

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta ask: why are the folks in this thread getting mad at LRG instead of Sega? The only fault I can cite LRG with is the "no limit" thing; didn't we learn from their early days about shit like that? (I guarantee there's some motherfucker already sitting with a bot aimed at all 3500)

And speaking of, LimitedRunGames , what's up with that?

I feel like I have to say this in every "limited release" thread: I love LRG and appreciate their intent, but my frustration with a ton of my favorite games becoming "limited" doesn't lie with them, it lies with said publisher and their greed/laziness. You can't fault LRG for wanting to pick up the pieces for something that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

I know Sega Genesis Mini didn't set the world aflame like the Nintendo Classics, but there's no way it was a total failure where its next version had to released in such limited quantities. Especially when anything Arcade1up is friggin reseller city lately.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
I want to take a shot at an English version before I buy the JP version. I'm not a fan of such limited quantities though. I could've bought one or two as gifts as well.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate. I was sketched by the idea that 1) there are enough people doing that to address directly, and 2) they're being given reassurance/permission to go ahead and skip this one.

You'd be surprised. There are some real hardcore fans of these limited releases...

Yep I got the controller, the joystick, and the accessory kit. I think it's really cool as far as mini consoles go. It's not the best list of games but it's nicely varied such that most people will find a few to love.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Europe getting one too, by another distributor. English version games as well.

This seems odd. Why would they go out of their way to mention the box in the announce, and only the box, if this was a full localization?
This features localized English packaging for the US market.
limitedrungames.com

SEGA Astro City Mini

The Astro City Mini is a functional miniature version of the full-sized arcade cabinet that goes by the same name, and it includes 37 playable games. The Mini features a built-in LCD screen, but if you’re interested in the bigger picture, it also includes an HDMI-out port, a headphone jack, and...

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
This seems odd. Why would they go out of their way to mention the box in the announce, and only the box, if this was a full localization?

limitedrungames.com

SEGA Astro City Mini

The Astro City Mini is a functional miniature version of the full-sized arcade cabinet that goes by the same name, and it includes 37 playable games. The Mini features a built-in LCD screen, but if you’re interested in the bigger picture, it also includes an HDMI-out port, a headphone jack, and...

Ask them lol. Twitter is a public platform. They confirmed the games right there, though.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ask them lol. Twitter is a public platform. They confirmed the games right there, though.
Lots of people have already. I kind of get the sense that they're not fully comprehending the ask. Many of the games on the Japanese unit are already in English and all are fully playable. But if this is a full localization, including games that have never officially been in English before, this is a much bigger deal. I know it's something I'd double-dip for personally.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of people have already. I kind of get the sense that they're not fully comprehending the ask. Many of the games on the Japanese unit are already in English and all are fully playable. But if this is a full localization, including games that have never officially been in English before, this is a much bigger deal. I know it's something I'd double-dip for personally.
Which games are we talking about?

Someone mentioned some quiz game.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Which games are we talking about?

Someone mentioned some quiz game.
Tant-R was already mentioned in this thread and I'd have to plug in my unit to make a comprehensive list, but there are story sections in random games that are just in Japanese on the original unit, or instruction text, etc. Wonder Boy, Arabian Fight, I'm sure there are more. It's not some sort of insurmountable task or anything, it's just weird to specifically say packaging and then say everything. Making a new outer box is a lot easier than updating the software.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Tant-R was already mentioned in this thread and I'd have to plug in my unit to make a comprehensive list, but there are story sections in random games that are just in Japanese on the original unit, or instruction text, etc. Wonder Boy, Arabian Fight, I'm sure there are more. It's not some sort of insurmountable task or anything, it's just weird to specifically say packaging and then say everything. Making a new outer box is a lot easier than updating the software.
Wonder Boy got a localization with the M2 collection on 360. It's pretty good!

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Too bad the stick is so expensive to buy and ship from Japan QQ

Love my JP unit, no interest in this just for a box with no engrish on it

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Western only means US apparently. Us Euros might as well order straight from Japan.
Not supporting LRG anymore as long as they buy exclusivities without setting up more convenient worldwide distribution.

except they don't? That's Super Rare. All devs they work with are still allowed to partner with others if they want, it's just most don't want to. But stuff like Blasphemous, Shantae Sirens and SOR4 have gotten foreign printings separately

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
For those on the fence, Amazon Japan will deliver to you in like 2 business days not months and months later like LRG. Not to mention it is cheaper @ Amazon Japan.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I mean I just straight up don't believe this is true actually

Turns out it is just the same unit as the JP one with untranslated ROMs.

Quoting from the LRG item page.

limitedrungames.com

SEGA Astro City Mini

• Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars (with Stella)
  • Alien Storm
  • Alien Syndrome
  • Altered Beast
  • Arabian Fight **
  • Bonanza Bros. *
  • Columns **
  • Columns II
  • Cotton **
  • Crack Down
  • Cyber Police ESWAT
  • Dark Edge **
  • Dottori Kun (Dot Race)
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground **
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder **
  • My Hero
  • Puyo Puyo *
  • Puyo Puyo 2 *
  • Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R *
  • Puzzle & Action: Tant-R *
  • Rad Mobile
  • Quartet 2
  • Scramble Spirits **
  • Sega Ninja
  • Shadow Dancer **
  • Shinobi
  • Sonic Boom
  • Space Harrier
  • Stack Columns *
  • Thunder Force AC
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Wonder Boy
  • Wonder Boy in Monster Land *
  • Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
* Denotes a game that has menus and text in Japanese
** Denotes a game that has portions of untranslated text, but menus are entirely English.

Please note that many of the games marked with an * or ** are still entirely playable to those without the ability to read Japanese.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Yep that's what I figured. Many of these older arcade games have text in English anyway, so I expected it was just a misunderstanding/lack of knowledge from the person who mentioned the games would be in English, which I mean yes some of the are in English but they're still the Japanese version games. The actual Japanese unit has an English UI option which translates the UI text but all the ROM regions and revisions are the Japanese ones.

Thanks for the followup.

OP
OP
Darknight

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
And now back to no point in getting the LRG version when you can get it from Amazon Japan for much cheaper and way quicker.

The Mini seems like it's mostly a curiosity, mostly for display and a little bit of playing. Here's why:

1) Games are completely devoid of options - no difficulty selection, no life selection, no anything else.
The setting it's stuck on by default is the only one you get - and it's a pretty difficult setting, too.
2) There are 5 puzzle games that are either Puyo Puyo (2) or Columns (3).
That's right - 3 of the slots are taken by Columns games.
3) Virtua Fighter has some issues running - especially when displayed out through HDMI. It's slow and jittery through HDMI.
Rad Mobile also displays at half its frame rate (30 FPS).
4) Scanline options are pretty awful.
5) No TATE mode options for the vertically oriented games. As a result, they look like a shimmery disaster.
6) The built-in screen is 16:9 instead of 4:3. This wasn't a big deal for me, but other users thought it was.
7) However, they did not scale games properly to their original resolution, meaning any System 1 games are also a shimmery mess - but less so than the TATE games.
8) Colors are dull through HDMI out.

Pros:
1) most of the other games DO have competent emulation. Very little lag, that I noticed...
2) Build quality is pretty great.

I partially regret spending so much on it, but it makes for a nice little desk toy to play for like 5-10 minutes. Not sure if I'd ever recommend it, though.

It seems like as little effort as possible went into the overall games here. Pretty disappointing, in that regard.

If it's something you mostly plan on displaying and maybe playing once in a while, it does a good job at that.

Last edited:

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
The Mini seems like it's mostly a curiosity, mostly for display and a little bit of playing. Here's why:

1) Games are completely devoid of options - no difficulty selection, no life selection, no anything else.
The setting it's stuck on by default is the only one you get - and it's a pretty difficult setting, too.
2) There are 5 puzzle games that are either Puyo Puyo (2) or Columns (3).
That's right - 3 of the slots are taken by Columns games.
3) Virtua Fighter has some issues running - especially when displayed out through HDMI. It's slow and jittery through HDMI.
Rad Mobile also displays at half its frame rate (30 FPS).
4) Scanline options are pretty awful.
5) No TATE mode options for the vertically oriented games. As a result, they look like a shimmery disaster.
6) The built-in screen is 16:9 instead of 4:3. This wasn't a big deal for me, but other users thought it was.
7) However, they did not scale games properly to their original resolution, meaning any System 1 games are also a shimmery mess - but less so than the TATE games.
8) Colors are dull through HDMI out.

Pros:
1) most of the other games DO have competent emulation. Very little lag, that I noticed...
2) Build quality is pretty great.

I partially regret spending so much on it, but it makes for a nice little desk toy to play for like 5-10 minutes. Not sure if I'd ever recommend it, though.

It seems like as little effort as possible went into the overall games here. Pretty disappointing, in that regard.

If it's something you mostly plan on displaying and maybe playing once in a while, it does a good job at that.
Thank you so much for this!

I'd been avoiding the Minis until this caught my eye, as I've traveled to play fighters on such cabs, and started doing my homework only after this purchase since I figured to want it anyway. (Now I'm looking for ways to get a PCE Mini.)

Tried to cancel my order to slip in accessories after learning that my many controllers likely wouldn't work, but was too late, and now I haven't decided if that was a bad thing or if I even want to open this. The cute stand now seems like a good idea if it'll go unused, but $40! I do like owning copies of games to emulate tho, and just found out about runahead, so I may try to run some of these that way.

Games degrading via HDMI, lack of TATE and dipswitches, and the 16:9 screen do annoy me. My plan was to plug it in like a console. In fact, all the scaling issues you pointed out are bugging me, but I'm excited to finally try some games I never found in arcades, like Death Adder and Alien Storm.

Need to dig up my Magic-NS to see if that'll have with inputs, or try to grab one of the few from LRG.

Thank you so much for this!

I'd been avoiding the Minis until this caught my eye, as I've traveled to play fighters on such cabs, and started doing my homework only after this purchase since I figured to want it anyway. (Now I'm looking for ways to get a PCE Mini.)

Tried to cancel my order to slip in accessories after learning that my many controllers likely wouldn't work, but was too late, and now I haven't decided if that was a bad thing or if I even want to open this. The cute stand now seems like a good idea if it'll go unused, but $40! I do like owning copies of games to emulate tho, and just found out about runahead, so I may try to run some of these that way.

Games degrading via HDMI, lack of TATE and dipswitches, and the 16:9 screen do annoy me. My plan was to plug it in like a console. In fact, all the scaling issues you pointed out are bugging me, but I'm excited to finally try some games I never found in arcades, like Death Adder and Alien Storm.

Need to dig up my Magic-NS to see if that'll have with inputs, or try to grab one of the few from LRG.

So, as far as my anecdotal observations can tell, the PCE Mini has worse input lag than than the Arcade Mini. I don't even play my Turbografx Mini because the lag is too noticeable.

In fact, I would say the minimal input lag is one of the BEST things about the Arcade Mini.

Death Adder and Alien Storm play perfectly fine and only suffer from the color degradation over HDMI - and the complete lack of settings, as I mentioned before.

But, yeah, Virtua Fighter is a strange beast on this thing.

balb

Oct 30, 2017
And now back to no point in getting the LRG version when you can get it from Amazon Japan for much cheaper and way quicker.

Isn't the whole point that the LRG version is teh rarez though? Of course you can get an Astro City Mini from Amazon JP today, but barely anyone cares about the product itself. Its been sitting on Amazon JP for a while, slowly decreasing in price. As with a lot of their other releases, LRG creates demand through scarcity/FOMO, where there was very little demand before.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
It's hard to get a feel for the size of this thing. Is the base/stool tiny? Can you get these items on Amazon JP?

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ah too bad they aren't using the English versions for the games. If this is the same as the Japanese version, then there's no point in getting it.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the whole point that the LRG version is teh rarez though? Of course you can get an Astro City Mini from Amazon JP today, but barely anyone cares about the product itself. Its been sitting on Amazon JP for a while, slowly decreasing in price. As with a lot of their other releases, LRG creates demand through scarcity/FOMO, where there was very little demand before.
It's not even a different version though, it's literally just the ones from Amazon.jp that they put in a new box. I feel sorry for any sucker so beholden to accumulating LRG's crap that they feel the need to drop 150 bucks on something that won't come out for months that you can get for less right now.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's not even a different version though, it's literally just the ones from Amazon.jp that they put in a new box. I feel sorry for any sucker so beholden to accumulating LRG's crap that they feel the need to drop 150 bucks on something that won't come out for months that you can get for less right now.
The LRG games version is shipping in April according to their website. They also said this was an initial run of 3500, but there could be a second wave of demand is high.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
LRG continues to disappoint. I'll support the stuff that has open pre-orders, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to get one of these.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I think it's cool as heck for collectors who want a limited edition of a thing.

For everyone else, just import it for less from Amazon Japan. I got mine last year and I love it. The real banger is the stick that got released.
71KGAPsY4qL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon | γ‚’γ‚Ήγƒˆγƒ­γ‚·γƒ†γ‚£γƒŸγƒ‹ をーケードスティック | γ‚²γƒΌγƒ 

γ‚’γ‚Ήγƒˆγƒ­γ‚·γƒ†γ‚£γƒŸγƒ‹ γ‚’γƒΌγ‚±γƒΌγƒ‰γ‚Ήγƒ†γ‚£γƒƒγ‚―γŒγ‚²γƒΌγƒ γ‚Ήγƒˆγ‚’γ§γ„γ€γ§γ‚‚γŠθ²·γ„εΎ—γ€‚ε½“ζ—₯おζ€₯γŽδΎΏε―Ύθ±‘ε•†ε“γ―γ€ε½“ζ—₯γŠε±Šγ‘ε―θƒ½γ§γ™γ€‚γ‚ͺγƒ³γƒ©γ‚€γƒ³γ‚³γƒΌγƒ‰η‰ˆγ€γƒ€γ‚¦γƒ³γƒ­γƒΌγƒ‰η‰ˆγ―γ”θ³Όε…₯εΎŒγ™γγ«γ”εˆ©η”¨ε―θƒ½γ§γ™γ€‚

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I think it's cool as heck for collectors who want a limited edition of a thing.

For everyone else, just import it for less from Amazon Japan. I got mine last year and I love it. The real banger is the stick that got released.
71KGAPsY4qL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon | γ‚’γ‚Ήγƒˆγƒ­γ‚·γƒ†γ‚£γƒŸγƒ‹ をーケードスティック | γ‚²γƒΌγƒ 

γ‚’γ‚Ήγƒˆγƒ­γ‚·γƒ†γ‚£γƒŸγƒ‹ γ‚’γƒΌγ‚±γƒΌγƒ‰γ‚Ήγƒ†γ‚£γƒƒγ‚―γŒγ‚²γƒΌγƒ γ‚Ήγƒˆγ‚’γ§γ„γ€γ§γ‚‚γŠθ²·γ„εΎ—γ€‚ε½“ζ—₯おζ€₯γŽδΎΏε―Ύθ±‘ε•†ε“γ―γ€ε½“ζ—₯γŠε±Šγ‘ε―θƒ½γ§γ™γ€‚γ‚ͺγƒ³γƒ©γ‚€γƒ³γ‚³γƒΌγƒ‰η‰ˆγ€γƒ€γ‚¦γƒ³γƒ­γƒΌγƒ‰η‰ˆγ―γ”θ³Όε…₯εΎŒγ™γγ«γ”εˆ©η”¨ε―θƒ½γ§γ™γ€‚
It's tempting but it's too expensive