• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
This is an ongoing series of her's, looking a the Bayformers series. Noticed there was no thread for it, and figured instead of just making a thread for the latest episode, it could be a thread for the series.

Prepare for analysis, and seeing Bumblebee piss on John Turturro a few dozen times.

EPISODE 1

Newest Episode

Last edited:

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Out at the bar and I get a notification of a new episode. All I wanna do is go home and watch it.

Love all he work.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the newest one was a bit weak tbh, but overall the series has been great

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Love the series.
Specially because I LOVE the whole idea.
LOTS of people have this weird idea that "games are art" only means Journey or Shadow of the Colossus or BotW, while actually in any theorical art course you have you DO study the bad things because they are art too and therefore art theory can be aplied to it.

I thought the newest one was a bit weak tbh, but overall the series has been great

I kinda her to explore more what avoiding at all costs means but yeah, she didn't had much to work with =P

but yay IDW =D

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I think my favorite episode of the series is when she talked about how Megan Fox's character was actually written as a well developed female character. But because of how the camera portrayed her none of that stuck with the audience.

Oct 27, 2017
She is the only good thing to come out of the whole "Channel Awesome"verse. It's also refreshing to have a YouTube channel I enjoy that isn't yet another white guy. Different perspective is interesting.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
She is the only good thing to come out of the whole "Channel Awesome"verse. It's also refreshing to have a YouTube channel I enjoy that isn't yet another white guy. Different perspective is interesting.
Always liked her, but I think the first episodes that showed what she'd become are the Titanic, Showgirls and especially the Blonde Girls Now and Then, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Ke$ha episodes. I'm very happy that she managed to complete rid herself from the old image she had. She's so great these days!

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
What's funny to me is that they consider games to be art, but hate it when games gets any kind of "SJW" critical theory applied to it and hide behind "it's just a game!" excuse.
A part of me thinks SOME shallow gamers invoke the "games can be considered art" to shut up naysayers, while don't believe, themselves, in that. It's just a form of "1up-manship" just to have the last word in a situation in hopes not to be challenged.

Dec 12, 2017
I think my favorite episode of the series is when she talked about how Megan Fox's character was actually written as a well developed female character. But because of how the camera portrayed her none of that stuck with the audience.

This was fantastic.

Also, the one that explains why it is so hard to remember anything that happens in a TF movie.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
A part of me thinks SOME shallow gamers invoke the "games can be considered art" to shut up naysayers, while don't believe, themselves, in that. It's just a form of "1up-manship" just to have the last word in a situation in hopes not to be challenged.
The probably also loved the metal gear and bioshock games

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've remarked on this before but it is so satisfying to see Lindsay and her work make it all the way to being featured on something as big as PBS, even if in a limited capacity through her It's Lit stuff.

Meanwhile, Doug and CA are still in the same hole they dug more than a decade ago.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
But I do think games are art and I highly appreciate feminist critique of them :/

That's because you're a normal person, not a gamergater (and have a cool avatar, which helps).

I mean, I like criticism of games, including criticism I strongly disagree with (Example: Matt Brown's Boss Key series, particularly his comments about Zelda 1 - everything he disliked about the game is something I consider great about the game. Still like the video a lot, precisely because disagreement helps me shape my own opinion better). Criticism is good. One doesn't have to agree with it, but even if one doesn't, there's value in critique, in seeing other perspectives.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
That's because you're a normal person, not a gamergater (and have a cool avatar, which helps).
I think the normal or average person doesn't give a shit and just want to shoot monsters and only care enough that they cried at an ending in a game and don't care about feminist or whatever critique

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I think the normal or average person doesn't give a shit and just want to shoot monsters and only care enough that they cried at an ending in a game and don't care about feminist or whatever critique

I don't think I'm a super intellectual and yet care about such things, and so does every single one of my friends. I mean, okay, almost all of my friends are queer, so maybe that adds to interest in critique, but if it does, I'd be surprised. Surely normal non-queer people have interests beyond what's right in front of their nose :P

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm a super intellectual and yet care about such things, and so does every single one of my friends. I mean, okay, almost all of my friends are queer, so maybe that adds to interest in critique, but if it does, I'd be surprised. Surely normal non-queer people have interests beyond what's right in front of their nose :P

I'm not saying the normal person is dumb I'm an idiot as well so I can't judge

I just don't think the average person care enough to watch videos about it regularly

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The probably also loved the metal gear and bioshock games
"They talk about the real issues no one else dares to talk about, maaan!"

(Ignoring the countless movies, books, plays etc that discuss heavily the same themes that those games were inspired by in the first place, but get their points across much better because they don't have to worry about balancing that with an interactive medium, and the gamer-bro-philosopher in question has never heard of them because his pop culture universe reaches out as far as South Park)

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Somebody should tell Lindsay how much Arcee sucked in the original Transformers cartoon. I can understand wanting more female robots but Arcee specifically is a shitty character. It's like asking for more Blur or Hotrod.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

Not only was this absolutely great, but she pulled an absolutely phenomenal trick with a previous video by using Laura Mulvey's "male gaze", which is usually used to discuss how men view women on screen, and turning it around to a discourse on how men view men, specifically through Bay's literal lens.

Somebody should tell Lindsay how much Arcee sucked in the original Transformers cartoon. I can understand wanting more female robots but Arcee specifically is a shitty character. It's like asking for more Blur or Hotrod.

As if characterization from one source means shit to these films. You could easily recreate the characters for the audience, especially since almost none of them ever engaged with the original creations.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Was excited when I saw new content from her but was a bit disapointed how surface level it was. She says early on she is not an expert on the topic and a lot of the video jumps around between loosely connected ideas. The rest of her Transformers series is pure gold which makes this stick out more.

Cup O' Tea?

Nov 2, 2017
Not only was this absolutely great, but she pulled an absolutely phenomenal trick with a previous video by using Laura Mulvey's "male gaze", which is usually used to discuss how men view women on screen, and turning it around to a discourse on how men view men, specifically through Bay's literal lens.

As if characterization from one source means shit to these films. You could easily recreate the characters for the audience, especially since almost none of them ever engaged with the original creations.
Admittedly I've only seen the first one. I agree they didn't really get close to the source material so it probably doesn't matter. I shudder to think how Bay would have characterised female autobots and decepticons though. I'm guessing he would have either gone with a cold, ice queen villain decepticon or nagging female autobot who disapproves of everything.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Tabby!! :3

Good video as always. I actually hadn't seen any of the Whole Plate vids because I was never into Transformers but I've watched all of them linked in this thread now and they're pretty great!

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Admittedly I've only seen the first one. I agree they didn't really get close to the source material so it probably doesn't matter. I shudder to think how Bay would have characterised female autobots and decepticons though. I'm guessing he would have either gone with a cold, ice queen villain decepticon or nagging female autobot who disapproves of everything.
Kurtzman & Orci (writers of the first two Michael Bay Transformers movies) wanted Arcee in the first Michael Bay Transformers movie, and imagined her as a motorcycle. Michael Bay told them their idea was stupid, because he was rejecting the size/mass changes of characters like the original Megatron and Soundwave, and a girly motorcycle would be too small and weak to play with his man toys.

K&O came back with a revised idea for Arcee in the second movie. Arcee would be three motorcycles, all of whom share one identity even though they can move around independently, and when they transform into robot mode they combine like a sort of mini-Devastator, which is sized to match the other characters. Michael Bay put her in the movie and then killed her out of spite.

After K&O left the movie franchise they became showrunners on the "Transformers Prime" cartoon, and they revived their original motorcycle Arcee idea, and she's a great character, in a great cartoon.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I watched several of these, and ultimately feel like . . . they probably weren't needed.

I guess the Marxism take is interesting, but it can apply to all of the film industry and all other kinds of industries that satiate the masses.

Feminist takes were good, since all the women in the series are undermined by the camera, director, or the plot.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I watched several of these, and ultimately feel like . . . they probably weren't needed.

It is needed for people

1) be introduced to those types of film critique
2) remember that critique can be applied to bad art and that bad art is a thing that exists.

It is for both the "just turn off your brain and enjoy" dude, the "journey is art candy crush is not" dude and the "what types of art critique there is" dude which is basically the low, medium and high interests of art critique you can find on youtube

Oct 29, 2017

I guess the Marxism take is interesting, but it can apply to all of the film industry and all other kinds of industries that satiate the masses.

Feminist takes were good, since all the women in the series are undermined by the camera, director, or the plot.

I think it's by far her best work when I realized her main points actually have very little to do with the Transformers franchise itself. The series itself is so vapid and exhibits so many overused elements there's a ton of jumping-off points from which to critique most of the shitty modern Hollywood trends (as well as a lot of the shit that has been around for a long time). The feminist video was especially eye-opening with respect to Megan Fox's character being probably the only decently-written character that nobody realizes because of the constant T&A shots.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
It is needed for people

1) be introduced to those types of film critique
2) remember that critique can be applied to bad art and that bad art is a thing that exists.

It is for both the "just turn off your brain and enjoy" dude, the "journey is art candy crush is not" dude and the "what types of art critique there is" dude which is basically the low, medium and high interests of art critique you can find on youtube
I understand why there are critiques, but sometimes applying some of those to things doesn't actually work.

The queer one, for example, was mostly using some of Bay's other work. Basically, this series has virtually no representation of queer characters. It does use some characterizations as comedic relief, which is of course, crap.

But there was nothing really there given that she talked about that Bad Boys scene a lot.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I understand why there are critiques, but sometimes applying some of those to things doesn't actually work.

The queer one, for example, was mostly using some of Bay's other work. Basically, this series has virtually no representation of queer characters. It does use some characterizations as comedic relief, which is of course, crap.

But there was nothing really there given that she talked about that Bad Boys scene a lot.

Actually you can analyze the lack of any LGBT characters ....it just does not make a good video =P