• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
But that's what some of us are counter-arguing. That intent does matter.

My mom once used a gay slur accidentally. She apologized and I moved on. She was just saying typical things in Mexican slang that people and even other gay and trans people say without thinking.

And then there was another incident. I told her later that it's a problem and that's that. And it's a slow process, because I know what her intent is and what it wasn't. The same with my coworkers and others I've dealt with.

That's mine and others' personal way, and it doesn't have to be everyone's way of dealing with these things. Some shut down the usage of that word strongly and forcefully in the moment.

But I see this more as a process of educating the public and people about these matters. If they insist on the joke or being hurtful, than ok, that's another issue that is dealt with in a different matter.

What's the point of compiling all of this about Lindsay if not to make an argument that this is more than just a joke. It's clear the thread was created to argue that Lindsay herself is starting to be an issue and that there's "something" about her that is transphobic, not just her jokes. I don't think it's exaggerated to say this thread is being perceived as an argument that Lindsay is generally problematic towards trans folk, and that's why there's pushback from a lot of her fans on this. And maybe it's true! Maybe I knew less about Lindsay than I thought.

I honestly want to know, to better understand the topic. I usually just stay out of threads like these, so maybe it is my own fault for even trying to meddle in the subject, but then, people make threads here in order to debate the subject the thread is about, no? And the debate shouldn't be taken as people ignoring what trans folk feel about the subject.
To take the example, your mother would have had to have had a friend that did something that was hurtful toward the non-binary community, that drew criticism from them and then herself said this in response to that community.

bd9b2e62-70c0-444d-a3vjga.jpeg

..before then going on to pop out a couple of of transphobic jokes a week later. They're also jokes that your mother already knows are transphobic and has bemoaned before throwing them out verbatim despite not being a part of the community they target and harm.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
of course it isn't, its just what most of our society is based off of. But my point is that if hes clearly continuing to roll in the dough with his most recent movies, hes clearly hasn't been cancelled
Indeed he hasn't.

Most people are transphobic, even people on the left, due to growing up in a society that teaches them ideas that are harmful to trans identities. At the very least, far more people are prone to saying something transphobic without intending to do so.
Mmm, that I can't argue against. I had a former workmate say something pretty awful transphobic things. Then again she was also a vehement racist and thought all gay men were transvestites.
I long for a better society, doubt I'll live to see it.

Mostly people are not saying "shame on you lindsay ellis, you transphobe" but "wow lindsay, uh, your tweet missed the mark and mostly just replicates transphobia". One of the reasons as many people are complaining as much as they are is a belief that she will apologize, try to rectify her mistake, and do better in the future, much in the same way people pointed out your friend, despite her progressive bona-fides, did a thing that was shitty at the expense of trans people but took responsibility for it when it was brought to her attention
Okay, I'm going to say thank you for this. I get the point better now, and sorry I misunderstood it initially.

Deleted member 29195

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The way to demonstrate that she's learned is that she has to acknowledge the joke was transphobic and that she understands why it was.

Which is either really easy to do if she does understand, or really hard to do if she doesn't - and if she doesn't, then I don't know if I really trust her as a trans ally.

Explaining how it mocks the original joke, I'm legitimately curious and no one really gives an answer.
But didn't she do that?

So what does she have to do for it to be recognized? I guess reading this thread my main question is what the goal is now. The joke was criticized. She apologized for the joke...now what? Is this thread meant to say she's bad? To further criticize the joke?

I think that's why people are getting all weird in here. There's no real direction for the thread so people are left to their own devices.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed she ended up making jokes like that. She should know better especially after her initial tweets about it.

Oct 25, 2017
But didn't she do that?

So what does she have to do for it to be recognized? I guess reading this thread my main question is what the goal is now. The joke was criticized. She apologized for the joke...now what? Is this thread meant to say she's bad? To further criticize the joke?

I think that's why people are getting all weird in here. There's no real direction for the thread so people are left to their own devices.

I might have missed the apology, can you link it to me?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But didn't she do that?

Lindsay hasn't apologized yet. She just deleted the first tweet and has been silent since.

Deleted member 22901

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
ironic shitposting is still shitposting. just because from your perspective you're being ironic doesn't mean everyone will be able to identify it as irony. if your joke is exactly the same as a transphobic joke in every way except sincerity there really isn't any difference to a viewer on the outside between a real transphobic joke and yours.

again i don't think lindsay ellis is transphobic or a bad person, she just made a dumb joke. she already deleted it so i assume she knows it was bad, i really doubt this is going to damage her career in any way.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ironic shitposting is still shitposting. just because from your perspective you're being ironic doesn't mean everyone will be able to identify it as irony. if your joke is exactly the same as a transphobic joke in every way except sincerity there really isn't any difference to a viewer on the outside between a real transphobic joke and yours.

again i don't think lindsay ellis is transphobic or a bad person, she just made a dumb joke. she already deleted it so i assume she knows it was bad, i really doubt this is going to damage her career in any way.
It should be noted that all (most?) of us criticizing her for these jokes also don't want her career damaged. We just want her to be more careful with how she uses her platform.

Deleted member 29195

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wait hold on you're right - no apology. I confused the original tweet criticizing Ricky with that.

But honestly I don't see why one is necessary. She's making fun of that type of joke. She's criticizing it herself? That's what the joke is. It's making fun of how "I identify as" isn't funny, and so one could say "I identify as Ricky..." and it's just as much non-humor.

Could someone explain how this is hurtful? It seems she's actively fighting Ricky for the sake of trans people in this instance. And even if the joke didn't land perfect, the intent is clearly positive.

Deleted member 22901

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It should be noted that all (most?) of us criticizing her for these jokes also don't want her career damaged. We just want her to be more careful with how she uses her platform.
oh i know, i just felt like i had to clarify my position. it's frustrating that people seem to think we want her cancelled or something when that isn't the case at all. i think it's just another way to dismiss the opinions of trans folks.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wait hold on you're right - no apology. I confused the original tweet criticizing Ricky with that.

But honestly I don't see why one is necessary. She's making fun of that type of joke. She's criticizing it herself? That's what the joke is. It's making fun of how "I identify as" isn't funny, and so one could say "I identify as Ricky..." and it's just as much non-humor.

Could someone explain how this is hurtful? It seems she's actively fighting Ricky for the sake of trans people in this instance. And even if the joke didn't land perfect, the intent is clearly positive.

It's a stupid joke that has nothing of value to say. She's perpetuating a harmful meme by using it to say "Ricky Gervais is stupid", a point trans people are already well aware of. It was stupid and poorly thought-out and she should've just left the topic at her original takedown instead of trying to retrofit his own bad joke to insult him.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon

Ironic bigoted statements are still bigoted statements.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're kidding right? I didn't bring that up until I read that from you and the other poster. What arguments are you expecting, I don't understand? You're trying to muddy the waters and I'm calling you out, that bashing her for this particular thing is kinda undeserved. Why? because it's clear as day what the intent was with that dumb tweet and you're trying to make it into what it isn't and I don't like this kind of thing. Of course it's a transphobic joke, nobody denies this. But...forest from the trees. Intent and context are important here, don't you agree?

No one is muddying the waters. If you think that intent and context are important, than her history surrounding trans issues are going to come into play, both the positive and the negative. It's the reason that someone like Lindsay Ellis and someone like Ricky Gervais making the exact same joke will have different level of reactions. You have in this thread said that I'm using all of this to make some thin argument that she's being transphobic, but the truth is that you acknowledge that these jokes are transphobic. I'm not saying that she's some horrible transphobe who needs to go away forever, but that by making these kinds of transphobic jokes whether ironically or not that she's helping to normalize it in ways that can cause harm to trans people.

She's attempting to use it to dunk on a noted transphobe but there are so many other countless ways to do that without having to resort to base level transphobic jokes. That's literally all that people have been saying in this thread, on top of the frustration that a lot of us have with cis people coming in and telling us we're dumb for talking about this or how we want to cancel everyone for criticizing a tweet.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
She was just trying to be meta not realizing it was a very sterile and dumb way to go about it. I really don't think is worth getting worked up about it although I can see it being frustrating if you're a fan of hers.

Deleted member 29195

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yes? Why wouldn't it be?
I don't know. But I'm not nearly as convinced. I don't see who reads this tweet and thinks badly of trans people, and I don't see how this tweet further perpetuates the meme. That seems like a stretch to me. Is what folks mean by what makes this "bad"?

Like I 100% believe anyone who said, "Seeing this hurt my feelings". But I haven't seen that as much here. Like I think the argument that she should apologize because it hurt some feelings is valid. I don't believe that this tweet has nearly as much moral weight as people have been saying though.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She was trying to dunk on Gervais, whilst forgetting that in order to dunk on them, you need to attack them and their behavior.

And it's REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to make a joke that dunks on someone engaging in transphobia without engaging in transphobia.

Her punchline is: "Hurhur that's you, that's how you sound", when all she's really doing is making the same joke he is with him at the target, even though the joke is still transphobic. Tim Allen does this ALL THE TIME when it comes to misogynistic jokes.

It's a bad look and a simple "this is your weekly reminder that Ricky Gervias is a transphobic piece of shit" followed by a retweet or a screencap of his jokes would have been the better method to expose this to people who may not have known. But that's not funny.

Comedy is hard.
Seems like a pretty fair take to me. Not everything demands a snarky comedic response.

Oct 25, 2017
So you're arguing that using the meme is harmful in and of itself regardless of her intention?

If she straight up said "I identify as an attack helicopter" verbatim with no modification whatsoever, is the transphobic nature of the joke reduced because of intent?

I don't know. But I'm not nearly as convinced. I don't see who reads this tweet and thinks badly of trans people, and I don't see how this tweet further perpetuates the meme. That seems like a stretch to me. Is what folks mean by what makes this "bad"?

Like I 100% believe anyone who said, "Seeing this hurt my feelings". But I haven't seen that as much here. Like I think the argument that she should apologize because it hurt some feelings is valid. I don't believe that this tweet has nearly as much moral weight as people have been saying though.

The joke perpetuates the idea that self-ID is worthy of mockery, and Ellis perpetuated that joke. That's the point. The joke doesn't actually contribute anything else. It doesn't work as a mockery of Gervais because all she's doing is restating the joke template without modification or commentary.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Ok but she wasn't going after trans people with her tweets. I know why folks are upset and it's an obvious misfire but straight up calling her transphobic is a bit of a stretch. It's ignorance, not hate and there's a clear difference between the two.
Why not defer to trans people on what is or is not transphobic? If they are feeling that way there must be merit to it, right?

Deleted member 29195

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If she straight up said "I identify as an attack helicopter" verbatim with no modification whatsoever, is the transphobic nature of the joke reduced because of intent?
I have no idea. I don't think the "transphobic nature" is something that can be measured. I think that many people who don't know Lindsay would find that hurtful if they were just scrolling and saw it. They wouldn't know any intent or anything. So I would consider that pretty harmful.

Aya

No one is muddying the waters. If you think that intent and context are important, than her history surrounding trans issues are going to come into play, both the positive and the negative. It's the reason that someone like Lindsay Ellis and someone like Ricky Gervais making the exact same joke will have different level of reactions. You have in this thread said that I'm using all of this to make some thin argument that she's being transphobic, but the truth is that you acknowledge that these jokes are transphobic. I'm not saying that she's some horrible transphobe who needs to go away forever, but that by making these kinds of transphobic jokes whether ironically or not that she's helping to normalize it in ways that can cause harm to trans people.

She's attempting to use it to dunk on a noted transphobe but there are so many other countless ways to do that without having to resort to base level transphobic jokes. That's literally all that people have been saying in this thread, on top of the frustration that a lot of us have with cis people coming in and telling us we're dumb for talking about this or how we want to cancel everyone for criticizing a tweet.

Listen, you felt offended and disappointed and called her out. Okay. I did not to because I believe nuance, intent and context are important. And because I've known and dealt with transphobia much of my life I feel like I have earned the right to say what my opinion is. I don't see this as perpetuating anything. I do however believe that she could have called him out in so many other much muuch better ways.

edit - replaced poor choice of words

Last edited:

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
To take the example, your mother would have had to have had a friend that did something that was hurtful toward the non-binary community, that drew criticism from them and then herself said this in response to that community.

..before then going on to pop out a couple of transphobic (homophobic in the case of the example) jokes a week later. It's also a joke that your mother already knows is transphobic and has bemoaned before throwing it out verbatim.

I mean, what you posted, what she said is exactly the truth. This thread is proof that we're a community jumping to apply the worst possible interpretation. The Contrapoints thread had several people calling her trash, claiming that either they were personally done with her or that her career should be done, claiming that she was revealing the "real" her. As far as anyone has shown, this is literally one mistake she's made, and it amounts to a lame, distasteful attempt at ironic humor directed at a transphobe by mocking their shtick. I'm not saying that no one can be offended by this joke or express disappointment, but a thread like this isn't just designed for some people to express disappointment. It's an invitation to share in that disappointment, to have it compound, to dogpile over any perceived grievance. People can joke "oh yeah, we're TOTALLY cancelling her, WINK" but I mean, if that's not the end result here, why not express that disappointment directly to her on twitter (which enough did to warrant the deletion of the original joke), rather than paint Lindsay Ellis with the harshest brush in a thread disingenuously titled "Lindsay Ellis' transphobic jokes"?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
She was just trying to be meta not realizing it was a very sterile and dumb way to go about it. I really don't think is worth getting worked up about it although I can see it being frustrating if you're a fan of hers.
It's frustrating without being a fan of hers. Putting out crap that to any casual observer, of which there are many, is just a transphobic joke. I'm not really fussed about blue ticks when it comes to cis people throwing out transphobic jokes verbatim, regardless of what it 'really' means.

When it's indistinguishable from the thing you're trying to mock and you're not part of the group that it actually mocks, don't get irritated when said group shows some irritation. Especially when it follows you defending someone else that's hurt the community, and painting non-binary people as some insatiable rabid mass.

Having cis people then come in and clutch their pearls as they do, calling a forum thread "outrage" or "cancel culture" and telling us there's nothing harmful here is just salt in the wound. It exacerbates the issue, where trans people can't even just talk about a personality critically without people trying to shut it down the next page.

It's precisely my lack of being a fan that makes these people jumping in front of her to protect her from a few forum posts or benign tweets all the more irritating. I don't care for some modern personality with a shiny "ally" badge perpetuating dumb shit that doesn't affect them, or defending blindly someone that's recently thrown previous generations of actual allies under the bus.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea. I don't think the "transphobic nature" is something that can be measured. I think that many people who don't know Lindsay would find that hurtful if they were just scrolling and saw it. They wouldn't know any intent or anything. So I would consider that pretty harmful.

As someone who knows (or suspects) Lindsay's intent, I can say that it would be harmful. Like I said, your intention to make a boat is irrelevant if you end up making a car. Her intent to mock Gervais doesn't change that all she's doing is making a transphobic joke ironically.

I mean, what you posted, what she said is exactly the truth. This thread is proof that we're a community jumping to apply the worst possible interpretation. The Contrapoints thread had several people calling her trash, claiming that either they were personally done with her or that her career should be done, claiming that she was revealing the "real" her. As far as anyone has shown, this is literally one mistake she's made, and it amounts to a lame, distasteful attempt at ironic humor directed at a transphobe by mocking their shtick. I'm not saying that no one can be offended by this joke or express disappointment, but a thread like this isn't just designed for some people to express disappointment. It's an invitation to share in that disappointment, to have it compound, to dogpile over any perceived grievance. People can joke "oh yeah, we're TOTALLY cancelling her, WINK" but I mean, if that's not the end result here, why not express that disappointment directly to her on twitter (which enough did to warrant the deletion of the original joke), rather than paint Lindsay Ellis with the harshest brush in a thread disingenuously titled "Lindsay Ellis' transphobic jokes"?

Do you go in every thread about a grievance someone has and complain that the thread exists when they could instead be complaining to the people with whom they have grievances? Or is it just when people criticize someone you like?

Like, half the time people like y'all are complaining that discussions like these are always one-sided, but then you also complain that you want the discussions to not happen at all. I mean, in this thread, we had someone who came out of the discussion with a different outlook on the nature of how transphobic jokes can affect people, how can you actually say that the discussion lacks merit?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Let people discuss things that frustrate them in a forum thread without pearl clutching over some bullshit notion of it cancelling or otherwise. Seriously.

Deleted member 29195

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
As someone who knows (or suspects) Lindsay's intent, I can say that it would be harmful. Like I said, your intention to make a boat is irrelevant if you end up making a car. Her intent to mock Gervais doesn't change that all she's doing is making a transphobic joke ironically.
But seeing it doesn't mean the world is becoming more transphobic and I think that's the bit tripping me and a lot of other posters up.

I see that it's harmful. I see that people are hurt. I don't see how it "perpetuates a transphobic meme" or creates hate. I think that goes too far. It's making the judgement that Lindsay is transphobic, when we can only judge whether her actions are. It ascribes intent.

I think most folks agree it's hurtful. I think they just disagree about whether it's causing dire side effects.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017

She's made the same joke in order to make fun of the original joke. Most posters posting in this thread understand her intent was to attack Ricky/she was not intentionally trying to be transphobic. But intent doesn't make the joke "less" transphobic. Imagine someone making fun of Trudeau for dressing up in Brown Face by dressing up in Brown Face.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
She's made the same joke in order to make fun of the original joke. Most posters posting in this thread understand her intent was to attack Ricky/she was not intentionally trying to be transphobic. But intent doesn't make the joke "less" transphobic. Imagine someone making fun of Trudeau for dressing up in Brown Face by dressing up in Brown Face.
Holy shit, this is a great comparison.

Oct 25, 2017
But seeing it doesn't mean the world is becoming more transphobic and I think that's the bit tripping me and a lot of other posters up.

I see that it's harmful. I see that people are hurt. I don't see how it "perpetuates a transphobic meme" or creates hate. I think that goes too far. It's making the judgement that Lindsay is transphobic, when we can only judge whether her actions are. It ascribes intent.

I think most folks agree it's hurtful. I think they just disagree about whether it's causing dire side effects.

No one said that Ellis caused "dire side effects" by being ironically transphobic. People did say that ironic transphobia is still transphobia, however, and it is, just as much as if a white person did some anti-black meme verbatim in order to mock the meme itself. It doesn't work as mockery of the meme, it's just the meme, but again.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Listen, you chose to be offended and disappointed and call her out. Okay. I choose not to because I believe nuance, intent and context are important. And because I've known and dealt with transphobia much of my life I feel like I have earned the right to say what my opinion is. I don't see this as perpetuating anything. I do however believe that she could have called him out in so many other much muuch better ways.

Of course you have that right, I asked you to elaborate because you're trans and I wanted to hear the opposing view from someone who truly understands the issue. I've also dealt with a lot of transphobia in my life and that does color my perception here as this kind of joke in particular was one that I would often hear parroted around in Middle and High school to the point that I didn't feel safe coming out to anyone in that time. Regardless of where we fall on the other stuff, I am glad to hear your take on these jokes as I do find it helpful to think about these issues from the perspectives of other trans people even when we disagree.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You really doing the PDP defense huh?

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Twitter isn't really a good platform for jokes in general? I hear it's a great place to buy candles though.

edit: and yeah, I would definitely not have used that 'did you assume' "joke" since it's generally used very unironically rather than the ironic take it literally self-implies. But you know, internet. And that's why we can't have nice things.

Deleted member 29195

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No one said that Ellis caused "dire side effects" by being ironically transphobic. People did say that ironic transphobia is still transphobia, however, and it is, just as much as if a white person did some anti-black meme verbatim in order to mock the meme itself. It doesn't work as mockery of the meme, it's just the meme, but again.
No no. I getcha. But I think some people are saying that. They're saying it's perpetuating a meme. They're saying she's a transphobic person. etc. Like I think the reason you have a bunch of cis-people coming in like "cancel culture" is cause they're confused. They think she's a good person and then all the comments talk as if LeftTube is ruined because she said this. If it's just a bad joke that people were hurt by, it shouldn't ruin the integrity of LeftTube.

Like all that good stuff they said is still good. And they'll continue saying a lot of good stuff. But they did one bad thing, and some people act as if it doesn't ruin their channel or ruin other peoples channels. Like I really don't wanna tone police the exact way people should criticize someone. But I do think that criticism is unfocused and unclear. It confuses people outside the situation.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No no. I getcha. But I think some people are saying that. They're saying it's perpetuating a meme. They're saying she's a transphobic person. etc. Like I think the reason you have a bunch of cis-people coming in like "cancel culture" is cause they're confused. They think she's a good person and then all the comments talk as if LeftTube is ruined because she said this. If it's just a bad joke that people were hurt by, it shouldn't ruin the integrity of LeftTube.

Like all that good stuff they said is still good. And they'll continue saying a lot of good stuff. But they did one bad thing, and some people act as if it doesn't ruin their channel or ruin other peoples channels. Like I really don't wanna tone police the exact way people should criticize someone. But I do think that criticism is unfocused and unclear. It confuses people outside the situation.

She IS perpetuating a meme. That doesn't mean she's a transphobe herself but it does mean she made a stupid mistake and an unforced error she should know better than to commit.

Oct 25, 2017

What people are talking about "LeftTube being ruined"? Like, it sounds to me like you're justifying an overreaction by the cancel culture pearl-clutchers by hyper-focusing on a sentiment expressed by one or two posters if any.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

Tbh, those people are the one overacting.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No amount of twisting will ever put intent before it's impact. Privileged people always come along and attempt to fuck with basic causality to excuse their or their families' willful ignorance.

Marginalized people's reactions to [the same old shit] is where the conversation is and stays. If one's intent is truly not hostile one would learn and accept the criticism from those they impact rather than make appeals to 'intent' which puts all of the pressure on the marginalized to absolve and excuse [the same old shit] which is absolute bullshit.