• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
(music starts)
What the World Need Now
Is Game of Thrones Talk
That's the sort of thing
that's there's just
too little of!

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This episode was kind of pointless due to the recap, but I don't mind because it just means spending more time dunking on D&D's garbage. Now patiently waiting for part two.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I wish she had skipped the recap and not bloated the episode out into two parts even if I got some amusement out of the recap. It felt like this video was lacking a lot of the usual criticism lindsay does which will come in part 2
As someone who only casually followed the events of the show from the outside I appreciated the recap but it was only about 17 minutes' worth of a 40 minute vid. Not terribly offensive.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Good stuff, can't wait for part 2. It still is really amazing that HBO was OK w/ D&D cutting the series short, they really must have trusted them and felt they could not do the show without them. Such a terrible decision.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Discovered Lindsay last month. Turns out, great discovery. Her Hobbit video(s) was sublime.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of wish people could do 10 seconds of self-reflection and choosing to engage or not engage with the thread's topic by either posting something in direct response to the content of the OP or just leaving in peace.

Instead we get 5-6 jokers racing in here with thread-shitting "jokes" about not wanting to discuss GoT or Lindsay's take on it. Like there's a trophy for coming in fifth place of that competition.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
The last episode I watched was Joffrey kicking the bucket, and I've followed the book series before the second book came out. As such, I found the video very illuminating. The biggest kicker is the idea that subverting expectation is a laudable goal in and of itself. It's a bad callback to the old days of Dungeons and Dragons where the DM was encouraged to treat it as a competition with the goal of killing off his players. Where the heck does this idea come from, and why does it persist? If you're going to make a mystery and foreshadow events, then you're created an unspoken contract that viewers should be able to guess ahead of time. Break that contract and you're probably going to end up with a mess of a story that doesn't flow from what you've established. It's mindbogglingly bad storytelling.

Kind of wish people could do 10 seconds of self-reflection and choosing to engage or not engage with the thread's topic by either posting something in direct response to the content of the OP or just leaving in peace.

Instead we get 5-6 jokers racing in here with thread-shitting "jokes" about not wanting to discuss GoT or Lindsay's take on it. Like there's a trophy for coming in fifth place of that competition.
But they have to show off how much more clever (and funny) they are than the rest of us!

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017

Her videos are great, but her title is also sensational.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, finally! Been waiting for this one. Can't wait to watch once I get off work.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's never going to finish this series of videos and eventually we'll get an HBO version that fails to adapt any of her points correctly and ends terribly.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This analysis would work better as one part i think, but i understand that due to the time and the work involved it had to be 2 parts.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
As someone who basically only followed the show from half-contextualized twitter rants in the last couple seasons I'm very much looking forward to watching this.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I spent about 35 minutes thinking that she glossed over the most important aspect of the whole thing after she said "need to finish the show in a set period of time" or whatever, and then she brings them running off to Star Wars up at the end. So, it's fine, but I'm looking forward to the next one.

Putting money down on a joke about her not being able to add anything really new or tremendously insightful for her viewers because the million already-published hot takes have hit pretty much everything that needs to be said, aka, the TV-Reddit parallel.

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
Weakest video of hers I've watched. Felt like even she knew it was bad by starting with saying she's monetizing her emotions. Maybe part 2 will have substance like her other videos

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno I usually watch her stuff but I'm a little tired of Game of Thrones hot takes, even smart hot takes.

Maybe in a few months I'll check it out and I won't feel burned out by internet stuff by then.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped mid season 2 cuz lost access to HBO and stopped reading after the 1st book cuz the plot was going nowhere. Glad my instincts were right.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I like Lindsay's content but am not that interested in Game of Thrones and that was over a month ago which is officially 84 years in internet time. Look forward to more critical analysis rather than show recaps.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The last episode I watched was Joffrey kicking the bucket, and I've followed the book series before the second book came out. As such, I found the video very illuminating. The biggest kicker is the idea that subverting expectation is a laudable goal in and of itself. It's a bad callback to the old days of Dungeons and Dragons where the DM was encouraged to treat it as a competition with the goal of killing off his players. Where the heck does this idea come from, and why does it persist? If you're going to make a mystery and foreshadow events, then you're created an unspoken contract that viewers should be able to guess ahead of time. Break that contract and you're probably going to end up with a mess of a story that doesn't flow from what you've established. It's mindbogglingly bad storytelling.
The writers have stated that "themes are for 8th grade book reports", which is so wrong on so many levels that it's hard to fully explain just how dumb that statement is. Not surprisingly, treating basic coherence with contempt leads to, as you said, mind-bogglingly bad storytelling.

I don't know where that mentality comes from either. To me, it smells too much like these people felt like paying attention to the plot threads of the story was too much work, so they threw all that out the window, pulled whatever they wanted out of their asses, and hid behind this "we're too good to pay attention to themes anymore" bullshit attitude as a way to run from all criticism.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I didn't need a recap of the entire season. This one needed to get to the point, especially since it's late to the party and most are sick of talking / hearing about it. I'll watch when she actually delves into season 8's issues, though I'm kind of over it at this point. Chernobyl saved me.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait for part 2 before I start watching this one, otherwise I feel it's gonna be frustrating.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I just recently signed up here but I've been lurking for a while, and I gotta say reading the spoiler thread for season 8 really helped make the way it ended sting less than it would've otherwise.

Since then, videos criticizing all the things wrong with season 8 have given me life lol. Will definitely be watching this later. Also, great thumbnail.
Welcome to the forum. Nice avatar

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I will say that can see much better why people gravitated toward Daenerys as a character now because her arc so far seems like the only coherent one.

Even if it involves a...pro-slave rebellion? Am I understanding that right? People engaging in armed conflict in order to be made slaves? That can't be right, can it? Is...is that in the books?

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
I will say that can see much better why people gravitated toward Daenerys as a character now because her arc so far seems like the only coherent one.

Even if it involves a...pro-slave rebellion? Am I understanding that right? People engaging in armed conflict in order to be made slaves? That can't be right, can it? Is...is that in the books?
Isn't it actually a rebellion led by the formerly slaveholding local aristocracy?

Archaeopteryx

Oct 25, 2017

No, not really lol. When Daenerys conquered Mereen and Slaver's Bay she freed all the slaves. The former slave masters allied together to take back the cities she freed and reinstitute slavery.

Isn't it actually a rebellion led by the formerly slaveholding local aristocracy?

Yeah, this ^

Oct 25, 2017
Would have appreciated knowing it was a part 1 before I started to be honest. Video had some good points but was kind of a waste of my time.

Now I'll wait for Part 2 I guess.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone break down the Westworld Season 2 rewrite situation? I watched the first two episodes and just couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of season 2 after enjoying the first so much, and I probably won't try again at this point.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know people adjust their scripts to own the reddits. this is probably the dumbest thing I've heard (today).

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing what a bad run at the end of a series does to how the whole thing is perceived. I really, really loved this show at one point. As a book reader beforehand, even. I thought it was an impossible adaptation that they pulled off, and even tweaked in ways that made perfect sense for a TV show. And then it kept going. And now I don't like thinking about GoT at all.

I feel a pull to watch this, because I like her videos but a lot of the media she covers isn't stuff I'm into. But do I really want to think about GoT again? I'm so close to being at the point where I only care about what's going on in the books again.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

vwlx0Mq.gif