• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot the stretch Lindsay Lohan had from 2003 to 2006. Her big debut was the remake of The Parent Trap, but the run began with Freaky Friday in 2004. Opposite Jamie Lee Curtis, Lohan was only 17 years old, and helped turn a modest 20 million dollar picture into a surprise 160 million dollar hit. It got great reviews, including Lohan whom Roger Ebert compared to a young Jodie Foster. The next year she did the beloved and incredibly fetch Tina Fey penned Mean Girls. Again, a major financial hit and with heaps of praise to Lohan's performance. 2005 had Herbie: Fully Loaded, which went on to be a financial success despite middling reviews. And then in 2006 she started to branch out, working with legendary Robert Altman in his last feature film. She acts alongside Meryl Streep and a cavalcade of other Hollywood stars. It was a well-received indie movie and Lohan was commended for keeping up with all the veteran talent around her. That same year she also appeared in Bobby, Emilio Estevez' meandering, if earnest, drama about Bobby Kennedy's assassination, again as part of a large and respected ensemble cast. That's a pretty good run, especially for someone so young into their career.

She also released a platinum and gold record during this time.

Of course, behind the screens, everything was a mess, and it began to effect her career. She lost numerous parts, was almost fired from Georgia Rule because of her unprofessionalism, and entered into a period of decay of smaller and smaller movies in ever worsening quality.

I bring all of this up because I'm rewatching The Canyons, a Paul Schrader dud from a terrible and terribly unsurprising script from Bret Easton Ellis that is notable for maybe three things: it was an early kickstarter movie, it is Lohan's first and only nude role, and it was her last chance and attempt at a career.

The Canyons came out in 2013, nearly a decade ago. Her peak run is nearing 15 years old now.

7 years ago... 15 years ago... I had lost perspective on the age of her success because even after all that time from when she was an adult making good movies, to the time she stopped making good movies and being an entertainment joke, to the "post career" life she has now where she develops night clubs in Greece...

Even after all that time, she's still only 33! For some reason, it seems both further back and more recent, all at once. Time can be funny like that.

She recently announced she will be attempting a Hollywood comeback. Will she succeed?

Deleted member 64047

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I hope she succeeds in her comeback, but I'm happy she nowhere near the presidency or any governmental organization.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
why is it that people who are seemly addicted to plastic surgery always end up making their face look like a cat's? sooner or later they always get the big fake cheek bone thing done and go full cat.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
She looks 33

5e0ce5972400009f245a4b2b.jpg

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
If Mickey Rourke can make a comeback to the point of getting Oscar nominated, Lindsay Lohan can, in theory, have a successful comeback at some point. Whether we'll ever get that chance (aka whether she'll ever clean up enough to get there) is a different question that I'm not sure I can answer, but even now it's still possible with 1-2 good movie parts.

Oh, speaking of which:

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
She played a part in that Tv show with Ron Wesley and Nick Frost. I dunno if that's still going on.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I've been pulling for her for years, but as long as she continues to not take accountability for her life decisions, I don't think it's going to happen. She definitely doesn't need to be in politics either. I still wish her the best though.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I had such a crush on her during the Parent Trap-to-Mean Girls era since we were the same age.

There's a part of me that wonders what her career would have been like if she had kept going and not surrounded herself with toxic people...
emma_stone_091316_la_la_land_4c.jpg

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
No. She has tried to comeback several times now and has failed every time primarily because she is a nightmare to work apparently. I think its just over for her. Its sad because she was really talented.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I had such a crush on her during the Parent Trap-to-Mean Girls era since we were the same age.

There's a part of me that wonders what her career would have been like if she had kept going and not surrounded herself with toxic people...
latest

All 3 the same person from different timelines converging on our own.

589478518182903809.png

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't she try and fail to sue Rockstar for saying they based an image of a woman off her? That (and the Marilyn Monroe photo shoot) was the last thing I ever heard from her.

I think she's too toxic for a comeback in major roles. It's too bad because she was the hottest thing around back in the early to mid 2000s.

OP
OP
Brian McDoogle
Oct 25, 2017
If Mickey Rourke can make a comeback to the point of getting Oscar nominated, Lindsay Lohan can, in theory, have a successful comeback at some point. Whether we'll ever get that chance (aka whether she'll ever clean up enough to get there) is a different question that I'm not sure I can answer, but even now it's still possible with 1-2 good movie parts.

Oh, speaking of which:

Ha!

I think the difference with Rourke is that he was still working in his big slump. His reign was kind of ended in the late 80s, but he kept working and getting offers for big things (supposedly) all through the 90s and 2000s prior to The Wrestler and Sin City; he was in The Rainmaker, The Thin Red Line, The Pledge, Man on Fire, and so on.

If anything, you can probably make an argument that Rourke's career is worse off now than in the 90s since outside almost all of his stuff post 2010 has gone straight to DVD.

Has she been in an Asylum movie?
No, but she's played herself in a few spoofs including the opening of Scary Movie 5 and a segment in inAPPropriate Comedy.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
She seems like a really terrible person. I saw some YouTube clip of her harassing this homeless family on the streets, trying to get the parents to give her the kids...it was nauseating.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

Her career was over once Emma Stone broke out.

Mar 10, 2018
Child stars can really have it rough in the industry. Bojack Horseman has really opened my eyes to that. It'd be nice to see Lohan come back though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
going by that oprah documentary thing her brain is fried beyond repair. she'll probably never be capable of maintaining a "career" again but weirder things have happened i guess

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

I can't unsee Emma Stone in this picture.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's tricky because usually when your career went down the toilet because you're a mess, you can just lay low for a decade then make a comeback, but that usually only happens with male actors because movie roles dry up for women as they get older, so she would have had to clean up years ago to attempt a comeback now. She could probably still get supporting roles on TV, but the window for a movie comeback is getting narrower by the day.